Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Pre-E3 Livestream Hangouts

I dont like the radio, ppl basic radio protocol is dont shout on the comms or swear. Everything else looked awesome!

It is like a cinematic radio protocol, i believe arma 3 will floating between a bit of simulation and cinematic arcade

The comms are a good step forward I think. In reality you are not going to shout out a number of the troop but their name. There does also need to be some variety in the comms however, to make it more realistic (if that would be possible)

Altis is simply breathtaking, from towns,to forests, deserts, seasides, small towns and valleys, it is.... beautifull, and if i'm not wrong, i've counted such as almost 30 real km, from west coast to east coast, should take about 30 minutes driving from west to east, if you're lucky and don't get bottled in the traffic lol

Edited by Simon1279

Has anyone been able to find the "Strategic Map" module that is mentioned about 54 minutes into todays live stream?

It's not in modules as far as I could tell. You can find them in the functions viewer, I believe under ORBAT. There are 4 related functions and calling one of them that's called "init" seems to do nothing. "Show" or something like that needs a set of parameters, running it without params crashed my game.

It's not in modules as far as I could tell. You can find them in the functions viewer, I believe under ORBAT. There are 4 related functions and calling one of them that's called "init" seems to do nothing. "Show" or something like that needs a set of parameters, running it without params crashed my game.

From Twitter just to confirm you.

Karel Mořický:

Sorry for misinformation in #Arma3 hangout - strategic map module isn't in Alpha, only its functions are (ORBAT category). Will fix in Beta.

Sorry for misinformation - strategic map module isn't in Alpha, only its functions are (in ORBAT category, as you already found out). Will fix it in Beta.

You can open it by calling the following code:

[] call BIS_fnc_strategicMapOpen;

Script header of the function describes how to configure interactive icons and custom images. The upcoming modules will simply visulize the configuration.

Altis is simply breathtaking, from towns,to forests, deserts, seasides, small towns and valleys, it is.... beautifull, and if i'm not wrong, i've counted such as almost 30 real km, from west coast to east coast, should take about 30 minutes driving from west to east, if you're lucky and don't get bottled in the traffic lol

It would be 279km from east coast to west coast at the "widest" part, hence the 279km². And yes ArmA 3 is definitely a huge step up in graphic fidelity.

Yes, apparently such a huge step up that it can support a terrain as wide as mainland Greece. That's not what 279km² means, dude. Lemnos is about 30km wide like Simon said.

It would be 279km from east coast to west coast at the "widest" part, hence the 279km². And yes ArmA 3 is definitely a huge step up in graphic fidelity.

Well that is actually not true....

If Altis is about 30km wide then we have an 30kmx9,3km=279km² island

Yes, apparently such a huge step up that it can support a terrain as wide as mainland Greece. That's not what 279km² means, dude. Lemnos is about 30km wide like Simon said.

I think it would have to be about 16.5km by 16.5km to give ~270km2

Nice livestream, enjoyed that.

Altis looks soo awesome, I wonder how much lower performance will be on Altis compared to Stratis (which runs great).

well, in this stream, fps were looking quite low on stratis, no difference on altis. But you can compare now in arma 2, between utes and chernarus. maybe thats not correct at all, since stratis is a lot bigger and detailer, but altist is just huge! One thing for sure, people who can run stratis with barely 30fps stable, won't be able to play 30fps on altis. But if your current system, run stratis well on nearly all maxed, with stable 60 fps, then you will be able to play on altis for sure. I'm laying a big hope, BIS finds finally a way, to optimize the engine pretty much, so altis can be playable at least for 50% of players.

well, in this stream, fps were looking quite low on stratis, no difference on altis. But you can compare now in arma 2, between utes and chernarus. maybe thats not correct at all, since stratis is a lot bigger and detailer, but altist is just huge! One thing for sure, people who can run stratis with barely 30fps stable, won't be able to play 30fps on altis. But if your current system, run stratis well on nearly all maxed, with stable 60 fps, then you will be able to play on altis for sure. I'm laying a big hope, BIS finds finally a way, to optimize the engine pretty much, so altis can be playable at least for 50% of players.

Well maybe thats why Altis won't be available in the public beta, it's simply not ready and the forum would drown in yet millions of performance threads.

Here's the Altis map zoomed out. One square is 10kmx10km. Now there's no need for speculation and weird calculations :cool:

Edited by St. Jimmy

Here's the Altis map zoomed out. One square is 10kmx10km. Now there's no need for speculation and weird calculations :cool:

According to my rough calculations (using that image and the measurement tool in Gimp) the distance from the SW corner of Altis ("Faurnes") to the NE corner (north of "Molos") is roughly 30km. And that's just if you move in an almost straight line. If you follow the roads, crossing the map from corner to corner will probably take a fairly long time. :eek:

Heh at Myrina being called Kavala. Can't wait to drive around the places in game that I visited IRL and see if they are there.

Unsure why the stream and the recording seems so choppy, during it we were having very smooth gameplay, >40 fps all the way. Seems that next time we need to configure the streaming software properly.

if the 2nd stream was on the same PC as the 1st one, witch I believe it was, they were using the following:

Yesterday's live stream was running on my work machine and the specs are:

- i7

- 8gb

- GTX660

And Arma 3 runs very well on it, with great visual quality.

Beware that the streaming video doesn't make justice at all, the video has much less quality.

as said earlier in this thread, page 11.

Still blasphemy that them guys show a lot of Merlin HC3 stuff in the screenshits but still didnt touch it in the twitchvids :(

Has someone noticed that at the end of the last livestream "Combined Arms Showcase" when they suddenly stopped it we can see big town on the horizon BUT MAP SHOWS KALITHEA BAY... ? I wonder what is going on...

Has someone noticed that at the end of the last livestream "Combined Arms Showcase" when they suddenly stopped it we can see big town on the horizon BUT MAP SHOWS KALITHEA BAY... ? I wonder what is going on...

Probably because they used the teleport, the tactical map may still have been on their original starting position.

Well that is actually not true....

If Altis is about 30km wide then we have an 30kmx9,3km=279km² island

Remind me never to post when I'm tired.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Unsure why the stream and the recording seems so choppy, during it we were having very smooth gameplay, >40 fps all the way. Seems that next time we need to configure the streaming software properly.

Are you streaming through a separate capture card or just software capturing?