Sign in to follow this  
gensixfour

Controls for Helicopter

I have a logitech flight stick. I mapped the collective to my throttle but it does not spin up enough fo flight and I find myself using the Q key for lift off. Any ideas?

Thank you

Do not use analogue throttle controls.

Use power up and power down

From another topic:

Solution was to remove any binding in the 'Collective lower (analogue)'. Then map both + and - of your throttle/slider to 'Collective raise (analogue)'

For the original problem I don't have a precise answer, i'm guessing calibration issues. But this thread finally prompted me to check what I can find out about chopper controls. I made a few observations about the throttle/collective setup in analog controls mode. You can also use axis for the collective raise/lower (default Q/Z) but then you probably wouldn't need these instructions.

1. Mapping only one side +/- from throttle to, say, collective raise means that half of actual throttle movement range is used. Mapping the the other side to collective lower gives full range, but your throttle center is not the same as hover. And the hover, or movement of throttle to collective in general, is not even located similarily on your throttle movement range as it is in real life collective. This really would need a illustration to make it easily understandable, but right now i don't have the time (or skills) to do that.

2. You can map both sides + and - of your throttle movement to collective up giving you more controllable collective up movement, but you don't get the full range of the collective like this. Game simulates pretty good the actual helicopter controls (Take on helicopters influence, i bet) and helicopters have the ability push the collective to negative values, and that means that in real life rotor is actually pushing air up and helicopter down instead of air down and helicopter up which it usually does and thus makes a helicopter fly.

I also noticed that in this configuration throttle movement is reversed. At least for me using CH product family controllers. I mean throttle up moves collective down, but that's closer to real helicopter anyway, so i think feature, not a bug.

3. To get the full collective range use option 2 above for collective raise and map another axis (if you have one left) or button/key for collective lower. This enables you to have more manageable control of the collective going up and allows also quicker descents as you have the negative values in use.

To use button/key for collective down to work your throttle must stationary and probably in neutral setting (a position that does not start the engines automatically when you enter a chopper).

I really should have tested more before posting.

4. Use both sides of throttle + and - for collective raise and throttle + for collective lower. That gives the biggest range of motion from collective with single controller and it's midrange is more controllable than just mapping one movement for each. The only sort of catch is that movement is still reversed so throttle back is collective up.

Edited by Akibuua-FIN-

If i were you, I'd map your throttle so that the sensitivity was low, and make it so you do have to use q+z to go up and down, so your throttle lets you hover. This will give you quite a bit more control.

The only sort of catch is that movement is still reversed so throttle back is collective up.

That makes a sort of sense, though, considering how a real collective works.

I've actually bound my saitek x52 throttle +/- to collective raise/lower (ANALOGUE) and now I have full power up and down flying heli. If throttle is bound to q/z I have only 1/3 power up and down. regards, pawel

I've actually bound my saitek x52 throttle +/- to collective raise/lower (ANALOGUE) and now I have full power up and down flying heli. If throttle is bound to q/z I have only 1/3 power up and down. regards, pawel

Are you able to achieve neutral collective that way? I know it has been an issue.

Are you able to achieve neutral collective that way? I know it has been an issue.

Can't answer for the PawelKPL, but use the same setup for my Saitek X52 and the center position of the throttle seems to correspond with Neutral allowing me to hover just fine.

/Mox

I might be wrong, but at least tacsim seems to be using collective raise/lower controls, not the true analog controls which are few places down in options.

My original advise was for true analog controls, which are really only suitable for actual throttle/slider controller.

The difference is, while the default (collective raise/lower, by default q/z) is simplified and yes neutral position means automatically hover. And if that's difficult to achieve then a little deadzone and change of controller curve helps a lot. Then again the true analog control means controls like in an actual helicopter. That would in reality mean several things. I just name a few which have direct effect on thrust:

1. hover at different heights is achieved by different amounts of collective (air density)

2. level flight is achieved by different amount of collective on different speeds

3. loading (amount of passengers, fuel and ammo) changes the amount of collective needed for hover

4. proximity of land under your has an effect on the amount of collective for hover (ground effect)

I'm not sure which if any of these are implemented at the moment or will be in final game, but there you are.

Lastly a note from real life. If you want move helicopter in only one direction up/down, forward/back, sides or around you must always use all controllers cyclic, collective and pedals to achieve that movement in only one direction, because all controls have an effect on all the others.

Can't answer for the PawelKPL, but use the same setup for my Saitek X52 and the center position of the throttle seems to correspond with Neutral allowing me to hover just fine.

/Mox

Yes, middle position of x52 throttle gives me hover fine, same as tacsim. cheers

The only sort of catch is that movement is still reversed so throttle back is collective up.
Its all dependant on the order you bind them in. for example throttle+ followed by throttle - bound on the analogue collective up will give you throttle back is collective up. throttle- then throttle + bound to analogue collective up will reverse it.

I may have those the wrong way round as i have not checked in ARMA but you get the idea. Thats if it hasnt been changed since the previous patch.

Hello. Can somebody help me?

I use Saitek ST90. It has a Z-axis. In ArmA and ArmA2 50% of Z-axis = 50% gas (hang). But in ArmA3 on 50% Z-axis my helicopter rises :(. It's very inconvenient. How can I change the range of the axis?

You need to bind both positive and negative on the axis. Arma3 uses 50% travel as the axis zero (it sees the analogue cyclic control as an axis rather than a slider) so that when the throttle is in the middle position the cyclic will be neutral producing a hover (given suitable conditions).

Just for information, the bumping of old threads is frowned upon and you should have created a new thread to ask the question :)

I know I'm catching this a bit late but it's free to ask so here it goes...

Interesting since I'be always struggled to find the sweetspot on mine that makes it very hard to land OK since the descend is very rapid even if just moving the throttle a tiny bit.

Do you mind sharing your x.Arma3Profile? Only need to se the line showing controller settings. It look something like this...

class Joystick1

{

guid="8D3B88F0-B345-11E1-8001-444553540000";

name="Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar";

offset=256;

isXInput=0;

sensitivity[]={-0.30157369,-0.075757384,-0.52738905,0.004370451,0,0,0.011655092,0,-0.30157369,-0.075757384,-0.52738905,0.004370451,0,0,0.011655092,0};

deadZone[]={0.024843791,0.024843791,0,0.045425415,0,0,0.045684464,0};

steepness[]={1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1};

mode="Custom";

analogClickHigh=0.40000001;

analogClickLow=0.2;

};

/KC

I solved the problem! I bind axis on analog and discrete gas, and zero level of gas established on 50% :)

I solved the problem! I bind axis on analog and discrete gas, and zero level of gas established on 50% :)

Hi PazDim,

could u please explain how you did that?

thx

I am trying to set controls for flying helicopters with rudder pedals and tobii eyeX.  The problem is I have my infantry controls set the way I want and keybinding for helicopter flight is screwing everything up.  Can you create different profiles say one for infantry and one for flight which you can switch out depending on what you plan to play?

My Problem with the HOTAS setup is that when ever i open ACE interact ore mcc interact menu's throttle inputs Are lost and if i dont close the menus and Regaine controle, the chopper crashes.. This dosent happen for my fellow Mouse/Keyboard flyers.. any help would be highly appreciated.

I just got a CH setup (Combat stick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals) and I'm unable to get the collective to work more than 1/3 of the way with the throttle. Collective starts about 1/3 and goes to about 2/3rds the way and I'm unable to get the throttle to operate the full collective. I can use Left-Shift and Z to go the rest of the way, but I'd rather keep my hand on the throttle.

As it is, once the engine spools up the helicopter wants to lift a little with the throttle pulled all the way back.

Edit: I figured it out. I had to delete the raise collective lower collective settings (left-shift and Z). Then delete the analog raise and lower settings already assigned to the throttle and assign them again manually.