Sign in to follow this  
jreaper

tank transport

i think some sort of tank transport would be cool. im thinkin about a boat which the tank could roll on and off what you think? it would be good for custom invasion missions?

Yeha it would have it uses and so would the ability to airlift tanks, jeeps,trucks and other stuff by helicopter or plane.

What about infantry riding on a tank?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Monkey Lib Front on 7:02 am on Oct. 20, 2001

What about infantry riding on a tank?

<span id='postcolor'>

Letting people ride on top of IFVs probably isn't too hard to implement, but sooner or later someone is going to ask why they can't shoot while riding on a BMP. As most of you know, the engine doesn't support more than one weapon firing from a vehicle at a time, so I doubt that this will be implemented anytime soon.

Same with the 5 ton trucks -- you can have an entire squad in the back, and they are all sitting ducks until they disembark.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Same with the 5 ton trucks -- you can have an entire squad in the back, and they are all sitting ducks until they disembark.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like to see the men, when jumping out the back of a 5 ton, have their weapons in their hands at the ready, not on their backs.  Is it that hard to jump out the back of a truck with a gun in your hands?

-=Die Alive=-

Not on real life. Who knows coding is so complex it might be hard, but i doubt it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Die Alive on 3:25 am on Oct. 20, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Same with the 5 ton trucks -- you can have an entire squad in the back, and they are all sitting ducks until they disembark.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like to see the men, when jumping out the back of a 5 ton, have their weapons in their hands at the ready, not on their backs.  Is it that hard to jump out the back of a truck with a gun in your hands?

-=Die Alive=-

<span id='postcolor'>

...you always get out of any vehicle with your weapon in you hands...

It would be nice to have the LST ramp working so we can use it for it logistical purpose. It would be great in some cutscenes, having reinforcement Abrams roll on and off.

talkin of cinamatics did u know the opvietnam team are moddeling and aircraft carrier

Guest Scooby

Option to ride on top of the MBT's should be added, not on IFV's or APC's.

MBT should be able to take 7 guys on top of it.

In Vietnam, didnt soldiers ride atop M113's instead of inside? I heard they did so they stood a chance of surviving a landmine. It makes sense to have that in this game.

You'll get shot off. And if you go at any half decent speed you'll fall off.

Riding atop of tanks and the like is not done into battle either, just around small areas at low speed. It wouldn't be hard to put into the game, but I'm not missing it.

Guest Scooby

I believe that it was 10 kilo AT which hit our APC took at peace keeping mission. People inside of it survived. Makes no sense to ride on top of the APC's.

I've been on tank at fairly good speed, it gets bit on your strenght to hang on there. Idea is to get out before enemies see you and open fire. If they do you get out of top of it fast. With tanks you get to run quite alot anyways.

If I still remember how it was squad is supposed to run 50 meters front of the tank so that in front of the tank there is 50 meter hole beetween men at the right side front of the tank and men at the left side front of the tank.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from The Jub Jub Bird on 3:48 pm on Oct. 20, 2001

It would be nice to have the LST ramp working so we can use it for it logistical purpose. It would be great in some cutscenes, having reinforcement Abrams roll on and off.

<span id='postcolor'>

It would be nice if the LST helipad worked that would be cool to use as a base of operations

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Scooby on 8:52 pm on Oct. 20, 2001

I believe that it was 10 kilo AT which hit our APC took at peace keeping mission. People inside of it survived. Makes no sense to ride on top of the APC's.

I've been on tank at fairly good speed, it gets bit on your strenght to hang on there. Idea is to get out before enemies see you and open fire. If they do you get out of top of it fast. With tanks you get to run quite alot anyways.

If I still remember how it was squad is supposed to run 50 meters front of the tank so that in front of the tank there is 50 meter hole beetween men at the right side front of the tank and men at the left side front of the tank.

<span id='postcolor'>

What kind of APC it was to survive a 10 kilo mine? 10 kilo explosive subtance can level a small village...

Riding on top of APCs has nothing to do with mine protection or not being able to provide adequate transport. Reasons are more obvious: heat and cramped conditions. As far as i know they dont make air conditioner equiped APCs yet and it gets real hot inside ( u actually cannot touch the inner walls they are so hot). Cramped conditions are big problem for a BMP. BMP are famous for their low profile, but that low profile is at a cost of not being able to move much. i had problems with sitting inside BRDM-2 (i am fairly large, 1'86cm at 98 kg). so we just dropped old couches and matresses on top of BMP and preferred to ride there.

Also there are less obvious reasons: HEAT namely. everyone inside APC when hit by HEAT will literally melt. while if sitting on top there is a very good chance to survive. Also by sitting on top soldiers have better field of vision, ability to fire 40mm grenades and machineguns in any direction right away.

Riding on top of tanks would actually make no sense (especially ERA equiped). ERA are very effective against AT fire but it is dangerous for infantry around it. i wouldnt be comfartable riding on top of T80 with C-4 blocks all around it. Although i've seen some daredevils do it.

Guest Scooby

XA-180 APC or some other XA-xxx version of it.

They have such built that it directs explosion away from the hull and rather blows tires, axels, etc off. Same APC was still used later on after being sent to be repaired.

As for what kind of power standard 10kilo AT mine has I'd say that people who sit on top of the vehicle when such goes off under them are as good as dead from the huge blast.

As I said, the idea is not to ride on top of the tank untill enemy opens fire but to ride on top of it aslong as it is "safe". Ofcourse there is a change of ambush but its risk that you've got to accept in order to keep up fast page in some situations.

When the new patch comes out, they should be able to carry tanks on lst's, after all, they are the U.S Navy's tank carriers.

scooby i agree with ya it makes no sense to ride on top of a apc

the blast of a mine would kill ya (if you can stay on top when it is at half speed)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from supergrunt on 8:26 pm on Nov. 11, 2001

scooby i agree with ya it makes no sense to ride on top of a apc

the blast of a mine would kill ya (if you can stay on top when it is at half speed)

<span id='postcolor'>

when it is 40 degrees outside and more like 70 inside the APC with nothing to breathe and practically no ability to move around i'd like to see you ride inside the APC.

People didn't start to ride of APCs because they are stupud. Those are the rules written in blood (Same as traffic laws:)).

if a mine goes off directly under the apc i'd assume its safer to be on top. if you're in the apc you'll probablt get sliced up by metal fragments, or get melted like krechet said, whereas on top of the apc, the metal shards will have to go through the top of the tank to hurt you, which means there might be less chance of getting injured. or you might just get blown off the top and be flung clear of flying shrapnel. either way you'll probably be killed (if it was a big mine)

thats what i thought anyway, it is however an uneducated opinion...

Well typically, anti-tank mines are based on the Monroe principle (just like HEAT ammunition). Once triggered, the shallow shaped charge of the mine sends a massive explosive jet through the belly of the tank/APC. This causes catastrophic damage to crew and equipment.

But HE mines on the other hand would be desatorous to anybody turned out or riding on top. The flames would engulf the target and if your not burnt ot death you would be suffocated since the flames would suck in oxygen from quite some distance.

If I had the choice, I'd stay at home. biggrin.gif  

(Edited by The Jub Jub Bird at 9:38 pm on Nov. 11, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from The Jub Jub Bird on 1:02 am on Oct. 21, 2001

Yep - there is definatly a reason why you can go inside them.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, Sure. Most stories/training I have had and heard, is that veteran troops prefer to stay on top with hatches open. Otherways one hit from a shell or even heavy machine gun could kill everyone inside the apc (by ricicheting inside the crew compartment)

It would be great to have the ability to ride on top of afv's in OFP.