Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

[SP Camp] Operation Wayne Grey - Unsung MOD [RWO] version 1.0

Hi there

I was currently implementing the voice files of this campaign but the release date of the update will come after UNSUNG version 2.6 will be released. I just learned to know that the class names will change which will break all missions done so far I'm afraid. Not withstanding I'm at a good point to release the new version completely voice acted, at this point it makes no sense to progress and push for a release before Christmas. So therefore the new version will be available once the final version of Unsung will be released next year. I put it on hold for obvious reasons.

cheers

Hello everybody

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have released an updated version of this campaign. You'll find the download link with the updated change log in the OP. sorry it took me so long but I had to convert the missions to the UNSUNG 2.6 version therefore the update was quite some month on hold. This new version is voice acted now. I hope you enjoy it.

See you in the jungle. :681:

cheers

For sake of realism, you should use '65 US Army units instead of '68 as the Unsung mod team gave almost all '68 units 30 round magazines for M16A1's in 2.6 and it's unrealistic as I have read from various sources that 30 round STANAG magazines were issued more widely to regular units from 1970 or 1971 onwards. But this is just a suggestion, I can't force you to do it as it's your campaign, but I can't enjoy it in current condition as i'm a bit of a realism freak and I think that the 20 round mags in M16's are one of the icons of Vietnam war. It doesn't feel 'nam enough for me with everyone having 30 rnd M16's.

Edited by Viikkasota

C'mon lighten up man. It's a game for "Pete's sake". I understand your desire for realism but you are asking me to do once again a half conversion of the campaign which is a heavy workload.

Second . . . Big, of Armaholic is going to send me to hell in case he's going to read the change log.

but I can't enjoy it in current condition as I'm a bit of a realism freak

I'm really sorry to hear that . . . and the only advice I can give you is, to not play it then, if such a particular detail is hindering your enjoyment. I understand all the desire for realism of a lot of my fellow community members but hey it's a game and I tried my best to represent 1 small episode of the Vietnam war. Bear in mind that the game has limitations itself and you have always to adapt somehow.

Really . . . if you can't enjoy it try to find some other missions which will use the right units with the right ammo load in the right historical contest. No pun intended. It honestly didn't pass my mind to pay attention to this particular detail when creating the campaign. I'm not sure if other mission makers pay attention to such detail either.

One thing I've learned in all these years "You can never get it right for everybody".

With that being said I doubt I gonna do an overhaul as long as nobody reports some game breaking bugs.

p.s Ever thought to use the editor and make some missions the way you think they ought to be? :D

C'mon lighten up man. It's a game for "Pete's sake". I understand your desire for realism but you are asking me to do once again a half conversion of the campaign which is a heavy workload.

Second . . . Big, of Armaholic is going to send me to hell in case he's going to read the change log.

I'm really sorry to hear that . . . and the only advice I can give you is, to not play it then, if such a particular detail is hindering your enjoyment. I understand all the desire for realism of a lot of my fellow community members but hey it's a game and I tried my best to represent 1 small episode of the Vietnam war. Bear in mind that the game has limitations itself and you have always to adapt somehow.

Really . . . if you can't enjoy it try to find some other missions which will use the right units with the right ammo load in the right historical contest. No pun intended. It honestly didn't pass my mind to pay attention to this particular detail when creating the campaign. I'm not sure if other mission makers pay attention to such detail either.

One thing I've learned in all these years "You can never get it right for everybody".

With that being said I doubt I gonna do an overhaul as long as nobody reports some game breaking bugs.

p.s Ever thought to use the editor and make some missions the way you think they ought to be? :D

Yeah I understand it's alot of work to change all the units. For realism, I don't bother if everything isn't 100% realistic but the 30 rnd magazines are pretty big turndown for me. Actually I think it's the only thing that keeps me from playing this campaign. I enjoyed your campaign in Unsung 2.5 by the way. About the editor I use it much in Arma games. Most of my time in Arma games i spend in the editor. And I have made myself many missions. But I haven't never made a campaign. And there's very few campaigns for Unsung mod. Anyway, again I can't force you to do anything, if changing the units is too much work for you, you don't have to do it, it's your mission and you can do anything you want with it. I respect your opinion of course.

Ever thought to use the editor and make some missions the way you think they ought to be? :D

amen to that.

Hi nettrucker,

great to see you have updated Operation Wayne Grey to match the 2.6. I'm really eager to play it (finally) and will do so, later this evening. Thank you for your work.*

*Bonus points, a pack of cigarettes, two bottles of beer and a pair of drumsticks for the voice acting.

Hi Viikkasota,

I understand that you like realism as far as 2.6 goes do what nettrucker suggested or just play 2.5 if you want M-16's with 20 round magazines.;)

For sake of realism, you should use '65 US Army units instead of '68 as the Unsung mod team gave almost all '68 units 30 round magazines for M16A1's in 2.6 and it's unrealistic as I have read from various sources that 30 round STANAG magazines were issued more widely to regular units from 1970 or 1971 onwards. But this is just a suggestion, I can't force you to do it as it's your campaign, but I can't enjoy it in current condition as i'm a bit of a realism freak and I think that the 20 round mags in M16's are one of the icons of Vietnam war. It doesn't feel 'nam enough for me with everyone having 30 rnd M16's.

Where to begin.

OK first, let me say that I have personally investigated random troops in-editor to validate that most (not all) are running 20 round mags. Perhaps I got lucky and chose all the good ones, so PLEASE could you describe exactly, precisely, which soldier you are referring to?

The troop configs weren't my AOR, but in-editor, this statement appears incorrect.

If you are referring to the ammo boxes, those are complete with all the ordnance. We do not make a "pre November 1967 ammo box" or anything so specific. That's up to the mission editors.

Next, um.... really? You can't enjoy a mod that took literally HUNDREDS of man-hours to complete FOR FREE by a group of people from around the globe, doing this as a labor of love, because of a "realism" issue? Consider just how epic a feat that really is. I have personally spent more evenings and Saturdays than I can count in the last year making/updating 3D models. You're welcome.

/SARCASM ON

A question - should we remove all respawn scripts from the missions, since technically respawn is not a realism factor?

Just play the mission until you die, then delete it off of your hard drive. THAT is realism baby!

/SARCASM OFF

I'm sorry, today I just can't tolerate negative feedback from a 30-post forum member after doing so much hard work on the mod. Makes me really just want to say "fuck it" and stop modding altogether. Perhaps I have a thin skin this week, but I feel valid in asking this. Any other realism issues you might like to criticize? Perhaps the incorrect shadows on some of the 3D models? Texture stretching perhaps? Remember we're doing all this for free. For the community.

Oh, but I do respect your opinion, of course, as the free recipient of our hard work.

Forgive my flaming. Just not really in the right frame of mind to take non-constructive feedback today.

Yeah I understand it's alot of work to change all the units. For realism, I don't bother if everything isn't 100% realistic but the 30 rnd magazines are pretty big turndown for me. Actually I think it's the only thing that keeps me from playing this campaign. I enjoyed your campaign in Unsung 2.5 by the way. About the editor I use it much in Arma games. Most of my time in Arma games i spend in the editor. And I have made myself many missions. But I haven't never made a campaign. And there's very few campaigns for Unsung mod. Anyway, again I can't force you to do anything, if changing the units is too much work for you, you don't have to do it, it's your mission and you can do anything you want with it. I respect your opinion of course.

Hi Viikkasota

you should enjoy the results of the UNSUNG instead of letting such a small detail turn you off from this outstanding MOD. Seriously!!!! The UNSUNG TEAM has worked very hard to make the MOD . . . it took them years to get it to the point where it is right now. I consider it definitely a full conversion MOD. Most probably my favorite one. Making a MOD of this quality takes years of constant dedication . . . hard work . . . huge workload and lot's of burnouts I guess.

Look at the content man and you get it all for free . . . to have fun with it. You should give the team a little slack for what they created in their spare time don't you think?

I can only congratulate all of them for what they have achieved and for their constant dedication to get it done and bring it to a final release. Now I understand your point of view but believe me it doesn't take away for me the enjoyment. This MOD provides some many toys to play with that I can ignore without problem such kind of little "flaw" as to when the 30 round mags were introduced in the war.

Hell I ignored BIS game flaws for 13 years so the 30 mag issue isn't a big deal to me I would say it's nothing in comparison to ArmA's flaws.

I tell you every time I play the UNSUNG I have a blast . . . it's so amazing . . . creeping through the jungle have a firefight . . . where you are really in difficulties spotting the enemy and you mostly see no shit.

Well since you are into mission making you should focus your enthusiasm in creating some authentic UNSUNG missions. By doing that you will pay homage to the team and contributing something to this amazing mod for the whole community to enjoy.

If you can ignore the Vanilla game flaws of ArmA than it shouldn't be hard to ignore the 30 mag issue.

BTW since you have already played the 2.5 version I added only the voice acting and did some minor changes and that's it . . . nothing really new apart from the voice acting.

Stay tuned and try to see things more from a positive point of view.

@ eggbeast, Von Knuddenberg, Bigstone, hcpookie

Hi guys

been lurking on skype more or less frequently and I know there are still some surprises ahead of us. I love :inlove: what you guys have achieved so far. I just feel the urge to express my immense gratitude for your hard work. It's about nearly a year that I'm mostly loading the UNSUNG 90% of all the times I fire up Arma. LOL

The only gripe I have with Wayne Grey is the way I implemented the radio files and some of the speech files. I opted for a non realistic approach otherwise I would have been forced to use always the RTO as the players role. As long as you stay with the platoon it makes sense hearing some of the messages. I was really unsure on how to approach that issue in UNSUNG but I had to make a decision and I did. Seems to be seen it it was the right one.

I still haven't discovered everything or tried out everything just so many toys to play that I get always distracted. :bounce3:

I'm busy right now with some SP mission for every terrain 1 mission. A lot more things I'm actually showcasing in the missions and cutscenes. I'm doing currently briefings which is a real PITA to me. Lets say it's the lesser fun part. Keep you guys updated.

Thanks for dropping by

cheers:D

Edited by nettrucker

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the mod, I just don't use the '68 US Army units in my missions and instead I use the '65 ones. I know it takes much free time in making such a mod and I am grateful to the developers for using all the time making it for free for everyone. By the way, how much work is it to change 30 rnd mags loadout to 20 rnd mags for US '68 units? I'm considering doing it myself as i'm not playing Arma 2 online much or not at all, so having different files than everyone else wouldn't be a problem.

you do not have permission to modify our files

I won't need permission if I do it just for my personal use and won't upload it for public, right?

so long as you keep it private, and make it as an additional patch to the existing configs then we might not object. if it helps you to enjoy our work then great.