Sign in to follow this  
BBrown

GTFO DayZ! Who's With Me?

Ok. So, I know that Dean Hall wasn't the one who ported it over I am assuming that a user did. But I mean, come on. DayZ has ruined the truly genuine community of Arma 2 by filling up the server list with nothing but DayZ servers. But now you're telling me people are going to start trying to ruin the Arma 3 community without it even being final release yet? Come on, keep your DayZ shit to Arma 2 and wait for standalone. Don't fill up the Arma 3 server list with DayZ servers, that's why they are making a standalone. I am not raging here, I just think it is highly annoying that already, still in alpha, DayZ is in Arma 3 and I bet half the people who have bought Arma 3 are going to come stumbling in to your tactical server, and start blowin shit up because they are DayZ and CoD fanboys. And I am not hating on DayZ or anything, in fact I quite enjoy the game, and am anticipating the standalone. But there is a reason I am stoked about both DayZ standalone AND Arma 3. it is because the DayZ players can stay in their own DayZ community, without polluting the Arma community and vice versa. Idk, when I play Arma 3 I don't like seeing DayZ servers populating the list. I play Arma 3 for the MilSim aspects. I was excited that I wouldn't have to worry about running into a plethora of DayZ servers when looking for a good server to play in. I just think it is pretty dumb to port it over to Arma 3. Just be patient and wait for standalone for christ's sake.

Anyhow, that is my personal opinion on the matter. What do you guys think?

P.S. No flaming, trolling, insulting, raging etc. I just want to hear your genuine opinions, not get raged at or have others raging at each other, that is not my intention.

inb4 lock;

however i do agree, i think it is annoying that its now in alpha... i hope that it somehow dies off quick before it picks up steam because for the first time since DayZ got big i've finally been having FUN in ARMA since the alpha released, even though its only alpha and nowhere near complete its already much more fun just not having dayz nutz coming in and saying "wheres the zombies, are you enemy? don't point your gun at me or ill kill you...."

its annoying in a SIM game, that is for SURE

And I am not hating on DayZ or anything, in fact I quite enjoy the game, and am anticipating the standalone.
First, I'm going to say that I do not even vaguely believe that you are being sincere here.

Second, excuse me while I say "ahahahaha" at the idea that Arma 3 is "a SIM game" when it has an attachTo command... did both of you forget about or never hear of Battle Bus?

To be quite honest, the reality is that "DayZ for Arma 3" is here to stay for two reasons, both of which have to do with the Arma 3 engine:

1. The DayZ standalone is not using Real Virtuality 4, but rather an engine iteration descended from Arma 2 (the very one subject of wide criticism) by way of Take On Helicopters; it doesn't benefit from a bunch of the changes in RV4 (as opposed to Arma 3), which there was quite a bit of calling for -- again, not "DayZ in Arma 3", but "DayZ on the Arma 3 engine". Since that's not the case for the standalone, this is as close as it gets.

2. The DayZ standalone's engine iteration is much more locked down than Arma 2 or Arma 3 are; that is an intentional design decision, and one which even Arma 3's own project lead has said was more secure than Arma 3 but which the "concept" of Arma prevents Arma 3 from using because it's so much less amenable to modding. This part is actually quite important... because frankly, Rocket's had his missteps, people had their own gameplay ideas, and Arma 2's moddability meant that people could make those ideas into "missions"/modes in their own right -- DayZ Origins being but one of the most high-profile examples -- just like custom missions in Arma. This isn't allowed in the DayZ standalone but is allowed in Arma 3, so where do you think that crowd's going to go?

Who is to say the dayZ won't have the ability to create customized missions? From what I recall the lock down was mostly in relation to addon creation and some of the overhead scripting that allowed people to spawn in weapons and basicly bastardize the gameplay. I don't see many dayZ players creating literal additions on their forums..

This is further proof that we NEED, yes NEED an exclusion filter, searching for a specific server is no longer enough if dayZ is going to pop its head up again.

In relation to the below post, there is a difference between a successful mod and what is more or less an invasion. In most other games the majority of popular mods have their own .exe's and server options, you cannot see vanilla servers nor can they see you and as a result does not impact the original game or any other mod. I would be much more welcoming to the dayZ community but the truth is these days they player mentality is more of a scourge than a boon.

When things first started people would kill one another yes, but they would also cooperate. You would hear riveting tales of people banding together to form groups for protection, medicinal and so on, there was a balance of those who wanted to feed off of others versus those who wanted to help. But now the mindset has shifted to "kill everyone in any way". Falsely claiming to be a friend and then shooting you in the back, shooting a player on sight without provocation, no longer even holding someone up..it's just kill or be killed if seen.

Now you bring that mentality over to Arma and imagine the shit storm that follows, people don't hate dayZ because of it's popularity they dislike it because of the attitude of its general playerbase.

Edited by NodUnit

so is someone else comes up with another successful mod you will be crying again more? i know who should gtfo and it is not dayz.

Dayz has no longevity , no point in worrying about it , the military side of this engine will always dominate in the long term

I enjoy the fact that a community member has done well and BIS will create more income but once people realise that zombies don't do dynamic and don't evolve or change , that people will only enjoy fleeing zombies for so long and turn on there fellow players for there entertainment , it will become like the massively popular cops and robbers scenario , where in the end everyone wanted to rob the bank and be chased by cops , but nobody wanted to be a cop

Seeing as the standalone only seeks to improve security and performance over the MOD with nothing major in terms of gameplay , dayz has a limited shelf life

I really enjoyed it for about six weeks but after what seemed like a lifetime of beans and ambient music I never touched it again

Yeah DayZ will be a one off quick sale. BIS realizes this well, that's why they will charge for it once instead of some subscription fee. Zombies are a concept that is long overdue for retirement.

The real problem is that it brought people to ArmA community who don't want ArmA to be ArmA, don't want to learn to play, don't want to be teamplayers and demand stupid stuff. DayZ mentality is kill everything that looks like human without second thoughts after all.

Yeah DayZ will be a one off quick sale. BIS realizes this well, that's why they will charge for it once instead of some subscription fee. Zombies are a concept that is long overdue for retirement.

The real problem is that it brought people to ArmA community who don't want ArmA to be ArmA, don't want to learn to play, don't want to be teamplayers and demand stupid stuff. DayZ mentality is kill everything that looks like human without second thoughts after all.

Good job you can't speak for the whole community.

Of all the things in the world to get snobby about, a computer game is not one that sits easily at the top.

Also smirk at the op's professed deep Arma community spirit and 2 month join date.

Ok. So, I know that Dean Hall wasn't the one who ported it over I am assuming that a user did. But I mean, come on. DayZ has ruined the truly genuine community of Arma 2 by filling up the server list with nothing but DayZ servers. But now you're telling me people are going to start trying to ruin the Arma 3 community without it even being final release yet? Come on, keep your DayZ shit to Arma 2 and wait for standalone. Don't fill up the Arma 3 server list with DayZ servers, that's why they are making a standalone. I am not raging here, I just think it is highly annoying that already, still in alpha, DayZ is in Arma 3 and I bet half the people who have bought Arma 3 are going to come stumbling in to your tactical server, and start blowin shit up because they are DayZ and CoD fanboys. And I am not hating on DayZ or anything, in fact I quite enjoy the game, and am anticipating the standalone. But there is a reason I am stoked about both DayZ standalone AND Arma 3. it is because the DayZ players can stay in their own DayZ community, without polluting the Arma community and vice versa. Idk, when I play Arma 3 I don't like seeing DayZ servers populating the list. I play Arma 3 for the MilSim aspects. I was excited that I wouldn't have to worry about running into a plethora of DayZ servers when looking for a good server to play in. I just think it is pretty dumb to port it over to Arma 3. Just be patient and wait for standalone for christ's sake.

Anyhow, that is my personal opinion on the matter. What do you guys think?

P.S. No flaming, trolling, insulting, raging etc. I just want to hear your genuine opinions, not get raged at or have others raging at each other, that is not my intention.

DayZ did not ruin ARMA by filling up the server lists. You can also use the filter to show just what YOU want. Also, DayZ standalone was not created to alleviate your sorrows from filtering servers. I don't know where you get these ideas from, but you're way off base.

Of all the things in the world to get snobby about, a computer game is not one that sits easily at the top.

Also smirk at the op's professed deep Arma community spirit and 2 month join date.

Heh,you hold a point good sir, however it is impossible to truly determine how long I have been a part of the ArmA community based on a join date to the forum. Sure, I didn't create an account until two months ago because i haven't had a need for one. I did my fair share of reading and felt no need to add any input on any of the matters. I have not played the original ArmA, no; but I am an ArmA 2 veteran, with hundreds of hours of playtime on Arma 2. So don't try and slander me with your assumptions that I am new to the ArmA scene.

Edited by Bmxchamp4

DayZ did not ruin ARMA by filling up the server lists. You can also use the filter to show just what YOU want. Also, DayZ standalone was not created to alleviate your sorrows from filtering servers. I don't know where you get these ideas from, but you're way off base.

Hmmph! A lot of good the filtering did. No matter what was filtered, half the results were still DayZ servers. When DayZ arose, most of the servers began filling up with DayZ players who didn't even know what ArmA was, they just bought it because it was required to play the mod. So when I say it ruined the Arma 2 community, I am not talking about JUST overpopulating the server list with DayZ servers. I am talking about most of the good servers losing their reputation for fun, organized, and tactical gaming because DayZ players who had no idea what the point of ArmA was, were running around, blowing everything up because they finally had unlimited access to all the weapons that they drooled, day-dreamed, and jizzed their pants about finding in DayZ.

Yeah like how dare people play mods that they like but I don't!

First, I'm going to say that I do not even vaguely believe that you are being sincere here.

Second, excuse me while I say "ahahahaha" at the idea that Arma 3 is "a SIM game" when it has an attachTo command... did both of you forget about or never hear of Battle Bus?

How do you figure I am not sincere? Yes, I may come off as a little bitter about what DayZ did to the Arma 2 community, but I do in fact enjoy the game/mod. In fact I still play it from time to time, albeit I play DayZ Origins, but it is still DayZ nonetheless. And I never said it was a hardcore Sim. I simply stated it's genre, which I accurately stated as defined by BIS themselves that ArmA is a MilSim. That's what it is, plain and simple. I am sorry that you don't have to press about 7 different buttons just to properly fire your weapon, but that's just how it is. It is a simulation game that still offers a level of simplicity while giving it a sense of realism.

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 ----------

Yeah like how dare people play mods that they like but I don't!

Nothing wrong with stating my personal opinion. I never said it was wrong for them to play it. I stated that it was annoying having to deal with everyone coming in and ruining the core game's servers with their ridiculous antics. Blowing everything up and killing people on sight.

DayZ did not ruin ARMA by filling up the server lists. You can also use the filter to show just what YOU want.

Not necessarily true if you're only looking for a populated server. Which is why an exclusion filter would be very beneficial. Not only for DayZ, mind you, but anything you'd like to exclude, whether it's a certain mod or mission.

EDIT

Hmm, odd, forum messed up..

Edited by Bmxchamp4
Forum Error

Nothing wrong with stating my personal opinion. I never said it was wrong for them to play it. I stated that it was annoying having to deal with everyone coming in and ruining the core game's servers with their ridiculous antics. Blowing everything up and killing people on sight.

Your OP is nothing but crying about the very existence of DayZ servers in the game's server list. And random people blowing everything up has always been the scourge of public servers.

Not necessarily true if you're only looking for a populated server. Which is why an exclusion filter would be very beneficial. Not only for DayZ, mind you, but anything you'd like to exclude, whether it's a certain mod or mission.

+1, I would like to filter out dayz and wasteland, as I never play any of those but I prefer to play individual missions, and so its hard to filter for them specifically.

Your OP is nothing but crying about the very existence of DayZ servers in the game's server list. And random people blowing everything up has always been the scourge of public servers.

I wouldn't say crying. That is the internet child's replacement for the actual term of, "statement of one's personal opinion of", because as we all know the minds of this generation do not have the required capacity to extend their vocabulary that far. And trust me, the amount of random people who just come into a public server and make it almost impossible to play properly, sky rocketed when DayZ started getting big. So yes, I am complaining about the mark DayZ left. This is getting off topic, veering off into the existence of DayZ, when in the original post, I stated that the main concern and/or annoyance, was that DayZ has been ported over to Arma 3, so yes I will say that the existence of DayZ in ARMA 3, is not on the top of my list when it comes to things that bring happiness.

Edited by Bmxchamp4

How do you figure I am not sincere? Yes, I may come off as a little bitter about what DayZ did to the Arma 2 community, but I do in fact enjoy the game/mod. In fact I still play it from time to time, albeit I play DayZ Origins, but it is still DayZ nonetheless.
I must echo SandyBandy in saying that literally nothing about the OP makes "I am not hating on DayZ or anything, in fact I quite enjoy the game, and am anticipating the standalone" sound like anything except a throwaway line that's equivalent of "but I'm not bigoted, I have <insert group here> friends". If you are indeed sincere, then you really need a different OP that reflects that sincerity but makes your intent clear instead of pushing me to empathize with the very crowd that you criticize. :p
And I never said it was a hardcore Sim. I simply stated it's genre, which I accurately stated as defined by BIS themselves that ArmA is a MilSim. That's what it is, plain and simple. I am sorry that you don't have to press about 7 different buttons just to properly fire your weapon, but that's just how it is. It is a simulation game that still offers a level of simplicity while giving it a sense of realism.
See, I don't consider that a sim, but then again my definition of "sim" tends more towards the DCS lineup, which is by design much narrower in scope.
I also completely agree with SandyBandy about the second half of SandyBandy's post: "And random people blowing everything up has always been the scourge of public servers." To some extent, if your complaint is that DayZ servers are somehow taking up server browser screen space that could be going to "milsim" servers with "tactical teamwork" gameplay, I'm more surprised that you're honestly looking on public servers and expecting "tactical teamwork" gameplay on a public server, unless you're just unable to find a non-DayZ group with a server for you to stick to. ;)

I'll throw this in as well: after I realized that so much of the complaining about DayZ causing an "influx of BF3/COD kiddies" sounded just like the complaining about Arma 2: Free (as in, literally swap "DayZ" with "Arma 2: Free"), ever since I've tended to view the idea of "something happens so Arma's name becomes more high profile, but this causes the mainstream to come in so it's bad" with so, so much skepticism. ;)

I have to wonder if you would extend your complaint to Wasteland? Or do you feel that you wouldn't get as many sympathizers there because it was one of the first public multiplayer missions to be in Arma 3? I'm not sorry to say that this whole complaint comes off like a severe case of "trying to shoot at the horse's stall when the horse has not only fled the barn but also crossed state/province/canton/whatever borders." :lol:

P.S. I will say this about public servers: one thing that really sucks is that to my knowledge, no one seems to have come up with -- or at least no one has publicly released -- a system for more quickly "reuniting" a group for a mission/server that supports JIP. This means that if I attempt to play Domination or Insurgency, I'm way more likely to end up stuck at the spawn for an indeterminate amount of time for a waiting ride or for someone in my group to RTB to pick me up despite not even having been connected to the server or "in session" long enough to have even committed tactical errors in the first place, or way more likely catching a ride with and fighting/maneuvering alongside players not in my squad... which to me somewhat defeats the point of being in the group chosen at the "role select" screen to begin with. Believe me when I say that that definitely fucks with trying to get a coherent "teamwork" mindset going on the server. :( I've mentioned this issue over on the "Arma Game Play Style Changing?" thread, but it's definitely an issue on public servers that's detrimental to "tactical teamwork" play.

Edited by Chortles

Join a clan or form a small group, have your own server, whatever it takes. Just stay clear of the public servers, its never been great.

If you do join a clan/group or form one yourself or have a private server, it will open your eye’s towards Arma gameplay. Playing the game with likeminded players, will always give you the best arma playing experience.

As for DayZ, when getting any mods like this, and there are a few, its always odd being on an island that your used to playing on, but being there with zombies or aliens, a bit of fun, but odd at the same time. Not really for me zombies or aliens, but I like looking at what can be achieved with this game. Its all good, just slot yourself in somewhere with, as said, likeminded players..

Everyone has a right to play whatever they want, not everyone likes little soldiers on a map..:p;)

I agree that DayZ has no place in Arma 3. I don't mid if anyone plays it, but I hope it doesn't get filled with DayZ servers.

DayZ is a wonderful mod with unmatched atmosphere and immersion. It has many features I wish for Arma 3 to have and the way you value your life is something I would like to see in Arma 3 as well.

The people playing it are as diverse as the regular Arma community. While there are of course people who bring nothing of use to the table, there are also a lot of awesome new community members who just happen to never have heard of Arma but got introduced to it through DayZ. We all came to Arma without any prior knowledge, tested it, liked it and adapted to it to become what we are today.

With the seperate Standalone in the making, it is very likely that most of the "true", as in only interested in DayZ, fans will only focus on it. But if there will be a proper DayZ mod in the Arma 3 engine, so be it. It's an awesome mod like many other Arma mods I like to play as well.

Don't forbit people what mods they want to play. If it's annoying you so much, go to the feedback tracker, look for the ticket for filtering out servers and vote for it :)

Closing.