Sign in to follow this  
Darklynx

Walking slow and using the mouse wheel

I was wondering if there is going to be slower movement options in the final version?

I've always really liked how one of the splinter cell games did it where you use the mouse wheel to choose the level of walking speed. Could something like this be added, for example if you hold shift while using the mouse wheel it lowers and raises your walking/running speed.

Something similar could also be used when holding ctrl for when you need to raise and lower your stance.

Any thoughts?

Cant you assign your controls to do this? I must admit, I haven'd tried it yet but intend to change from the default controls anyhow.

I've also thought this idea should be incorporated into more games. I'd love a much finer control over my movement speed and the associated stealth benefits of it or penalties. It would require new animations and with the problems of the existing animation I doubt we'll see anything as versatile as SC.

I was wondering if there is going to be slower movement options in the final version?

I've always really liked how one of the splinter cell games did it where you use the mouse wheel to choose the level of walking speed. Could something like this be added, for example if you hold shift while using the mouse wheel it lowers and raises your walking/running speed.

Something similar could also be used when holding ctrl for when you need to raise and lower your stance.

Any thoughts?

this has been discussed in 3 other threads in the last two months. the devs have yet to say anything about changes to the movement and stance system. sad.

also the new update has screwed up the tactical pace and weapon sight up interaction. before the patch we could go into tactical pace, and bring up the weapon sight without issue. now if you bring up the sights while in tactical pace, the player goes into a jog instead.

come on BIS, forwards, not backwards please.

basically all three threads discussed how better to implement movement and stances to better improve the dynamics of urban inf movements.

what was generally agree on was that the scroll wheel would be an excellent means of controlling movement speed and also stance positions.

there was some discussion on also using the scroll wheel as a means of controlling vehicular speeds, as an analog accelerator.

example: default scroll wheel for infantry - controls movement speed in conjunction with W. while pressing W, use scroll wheel to increase speed. retain 2xW for going to a sprint from any speed.

to access the action menu, an action menu key should be implemented, to avoid having the action menu open when not wanted. example: windows key opens menu, scroll through menu with scroll wheel, release windows key to select action. must add "close/cancel menu" option to action menu.

the scroll wheel can also be used to change stance. example: Crtl + scroll wheel up/down changes stance up/down fluidly/dynamically. this should be able to be done while on the move, as in, no need to stop, change stance then start moving again... thats very clunky.

but like i said, it's been discussed in length in 3 threads, with no dev input.

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

Cant you assign your controls to do this? I must admit, I haven'd tried it yet but intend to change from the default controls anyhow.

i have played around with assigning the stance up/down keys to my scroll wheel.. just happens that the stance up/down is the "move forward/move back" commands (W&S). i bound W&S to my scroll up & down. it was crude but worked. holding down Ctrl and scrolling i could quickly cycle through the stances. unfortunately due to the stance up/down function being locked to the move forward and move back commands, i could not move while changing stance (real shame). if BIS were to unlock the stance up/down functions from "move forward & move back" and create separate binds for it, then maybe we would be able to move while changing stance. this would surely lead to players binding the commands to their scroll wheel, or which ever two keys they want.

just being able to cycle through the stances while being able to move, would be a huge improvement, even if it's not very fluid.

Any thoughts?

could also be applied to driving speed, and Helicopter thrust and and and..

and yes: needed :)

Yeah. In reality, you can't just have "press it a bit", "halfway through" and "floor it" positions for the gas pedal, if you try that, your ride will be rather jerky (having recently gotten my driver's license, I know quite a bit about jerky driving. More than about smooth driving, in fact. :) ). This is especially important on an automatic, where the gas pedal also indirectly operates the gears. If you drive an automatic like in ArmA, you'd find yourself replacing the transmission the second the warranty expires, and they don't exactly come cheap.

Any thoughts?

I suppose you know about w+s combination, right? (just want to make sure).

The mouse wheel is really underused as a control device. It could be used, with modifier keys/context, to do analogue leaning, analogue stances, analogue door opening, and analogue move speed as well as control the action menu as it does now, and that's just for infantry! It's basically the only axis every gamer has, why not put it to use?

I suppose you know about w+s combination, right? (just want to make sure).

Also the C key toggle.

It's basically the only axis every gamer has, why not put it to use?

Because you only have two fingers on the mouse keys, trying to fit a third in there is awkward and trying to switch the rmb finger to middle and back plus articulating it is painful.

try splinter cell for mouse wheel walking speed control: works like a charm

try some tom clancy game for the analouge door opening with mousewheel: works like a charm.

Because you only have two fingers on the mouse keys, (...Snap)

On one hand you are right...just saying. ;)

I would like to do a test with another mouse as a controller in my left Hand!

Because you only have two fingers on the mouse keys, trying to fit a third in there is awkward and trying to switch the rmb finger to middle and back plus articulating it is painful.

What!? LMB = Index, MMB = Middle, RMB = Ring. Are you using a travel mouse as your primary mouse or something!?

What!? LMB = Index, MMB = Middle, RMB = Ring. Are you using a travel mouse as your primary mouse or something!?

don't forget the thumb and pinkie finger on the 4 side buttons.

Yeah, and if you're not big on on-the-fly sensitivity adjustments, you can also use those, so you have 3 buttons under either index or middle finger (depending on design).