Sign in to follow this  
massasster

Whats the deal with bad players?

The majority of guys on pubs are not going to invest enough time to play the game the way it should be played. It's the balance of:

I want great play, but I don't want to commit to a unit.

Never really understood how people can complain about the level of players when the community is so varied. It's random I guess?

I guess I like to have an understanding, part of me hopes that some rational solvable explanation exists, and through reasonable means the number of occurrences can be limited and thus increase the enjoyability of the co-op play..

If the cause is griefing then I'm afraid you will never come to a rational solution.

In most situations there is a reason why fast paced styled maps are a hit..and I hate to say it but especially here in the US, people have short attention spans.. the only 'defense' you could really have is an auto kick or auto ban feature on the server. I remember playing BF2 wherein similar behavior was occuring but quickly dealt with. After two or three teamkills the server essentially slit your throat, banning you for a day if not perminantly.

If they are doing it because of freedom then they will set themselves straight, if it was an accident then they will learn not to do that again, if it is boredom then they will learn not to tk, and if they are greifers...well, you can't really reason with that mentality, you can only try and snuff it from you server.

The reason public play dwindles over time, is all the moronic griefers get filtered out of the good servers. The best servers have modpacks or are passworded which eliminates a good chunk of morons and the good players gravitate towards these servers in search of other good players and fun times. Admins ban all the morons and so eventually the morons play together and the good guys play together. Sucks for the new guy.

Hi, IMO many players are dissapointed when they see that the ArmA series are not an arcade mindless thing and as they're frustrated with their lack of "talent" outside the arcades world... they try to ruin the game experience for others because of this; it's a very common human behaviour. Then there're also others that are unhappy with the game and act in the same stupid way, could be because the game's mechanics... the game's content... or some specific game's aspect; there're also people who say that there's a "conspiracy", aganist not COD/BF like games... and that there's people who work (as hackers or morons) into ruin the alternative games to re-direct the players into those best-sellers/pop-games as part of the market strategy of those big companys. I just think that there's too much stupid in the world, and many of 'em have internet access. Let's C ya

I'm brand new to the Arma franchise but I've got about a decade of PC gaming experience. Arma 3 isn't that difficult to pick up if, but it's definitely hard to master. I've watched all of Dslyecxi's introduction to Arma 3 videos and read his Arma 2 guide and that definitely helped me get the basics down - still have a lot to learn though. I believe attitude has a lot to do with how people play. I try to listen to my squadmates and what they're doing to help out as much as I can.

Griefing is a part of any game you play and by it's nature Arma 3 is very easy to do so. I haven't run into much of it, but there have been times when griefers will shoot fully loaded helicopters out of the sky and TK people in the field. Just goes with the territory of online gaming I guess.

Joined an American populated server last night, and was team killed a couple of times, once was disembarking a helo near our target, some ass sniped me, another time was running back to base, some dude emptied his mag trying to kill me less than 20m away.

And there were countless times people were mass-killing by placing satchel charges in areas we had capped (domination) while people were waiting for extraction, luckily I was out of the blast radius each time, and managed to kill the asshat just before they met the ban hammer.

I'm not one to join public servers, I normally just stick to our own, but the times I have on european servers, tk'ing has never happened. Does this just occur on US servers? Or have I been lucky so far.

It happens on any server. Just depends on the time of day, how well admin keep watch on the server, and how well populated (higher populated servers are more likely to attract griefers). Ultimately it boils down to the admin on the server. If a server is left unattended for the majority of the day by any admin, it would not be long until someone shits up the place because no one is there there to issue out the ban. It's why any public servers I play on, I check to see if they have a teamspeak server, because there's usually someone with admin privileges present either in game or on TS that you can report to when someone starts to act up.

No point hosting a big server with absentee administrators.

I swear, Our server had just been fixed tonight, after like 3 weeks of being down, It's up and running maybe two minutes, two players join. The first, seemed decent and like he wanted to play, the 2nd? yeah just starts team killing the first.... It's like a 1 to 1 ratio of assholes in this game.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStK40RiUCEq9vZYnt4LD9HUPeNdJumuVyCK1xKwvmi09hiIA5p3Q

My take on all this is similar to what many of you have said - People think that ArmA is more of a game than a sim. When I ran a semi-popular server (I do intend to bring on up on ArmA 3 towards the end of june), I did two kinds of missions. One was a warfare style, long running mission with base building. That's my idea of fun. Being able to customise weaponry and units, choosing loadouts, and of course, with ArmA 3 this is ever more the case. The other kind of mission I ran was an FFA <Free For All for those not in the know :3>, and you would not be surprised how many people joined. Ironically, Warfare-mode, perhaps the one most reliant on a larger playerbase, got maybe a max of 5 at best, whereas the Free For All max'ed out at 16 every time!

On warfare I also endured teamkills and other disruptions, and obviously in ffa you can't teamkill. On a slightly unrelated note, I now run A3ATU for ArmA 3, and if anyone is interested in not having noobs screw with their co-op experience then please PM me :) I don't tolerate the annoying habits of others there, and everyone gets along so well it's unbelieveable. What's more, we do our job in what an Alpha should be - testing. <Yes, we'll continue to beta>

Anyhoo, that was getting slightly out of my way. I further wanted to say that you will always get bad apples, no matter where, unless you have either 24/7 admins with lightning-fast reflexes, or a passworded and hidden server which naturally you can decide who is permitted in, but is more obscure from the new player. I think the problem is compounded by the inability to communicate. Not everyone speaks English, and so it is quite difficult when asking them to do things and trying to figure out whether they are noobs, assholes, or just foreign. Do note that this isn't a rant about foreigners :D

Just my 2p!

Regards, Comp_uter15776

People think that ArmA is more of a game than a sim.

And simulations are not games?

It's like saying car is not an automobile it's a vehicle

look for whitelist servers or clan to play, you can't really join random public servers and have fun anymore.... same with arma 2

I swear, Our server had just been fixed tonight, after like 3 weeks of being down, It's up and running maybe two minutes, two players join. The first, seemed decent and like he wanted to play, the 2nd? yeah just starts team killing the first.... It's like a 1 to 1 ratio of assholes in this game.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStK40RiUCEq9vZYnt4LD9HUPeNdJumuVyCK1xKwvmi09hiIA5p3Q

Out of something like two or three Dom/Invade & Annex sessions I tried last night and there was only one TK'er... but the rest of my annoyance with it was simply the usual "JIP = transportation and unit cohesion are a mess."

I have to say though that if you're playing with a group, even if it's Wasteland, you can have a fun time of things -- I spent a few hours last night with acquaintances on external VOIP yacking it up and coordinating our movement, the general idea being "grab and consolidate vehicles, consolidate their supplies, go kick some ass in skirmishes", right down to my acquaintances calling out compass bearings for contacts and coordinating convoy ambushes together. :D

Well I tried another public server last night, a german/european one. It was fairly populated and running the Invade and Annex mission, not a single tk in roughly 3 hours gameplay, and no admin was present.

Great... so the majority of the A-holes end up being in the US..... Guess I've got to find a decent play group.