Sign in to follow this  
drakedaeron

SMAA or AA or FXAA ?

Helloooooo !

I have a little question. What is the better graphical setting enter :

-FXAA

-SMAA

-AA

I have a little lost with all this settings, rather uneven performances with these graphics, but I do not know which one is best to fight against the effect staircase!

Thanks !

AA with FXAA the best, unfortunately very hardware heavy. I'm personally using FXAA(i like it sharp). I don't thing there is difference in demand for hardware between SMAA and FXAA.

AA with FXAA the best, unfortunately very hardware heavy. I'm personally using FXAA(i like it sharp). I don't thing there is difference in demand for hardware between SMAA and FXAA.

Snap..

FXAA = Ultra, 4xAA, all nice and sharp..:)

FXAA makes sharper (sometimes bolder) lines but is MUCH LESS hardware intensive than SMAA.... i personally prefer the look of SMAA but its too much of a drain...

always use AA if you can though

The cost of any post processing AA, such as FXAA, is tiny.

with current game optimization, with my 670gtx, there is no difference if i have 8xAA or 0xAA, because it's to CPU limited. Just try yourself, check you FPS with fraps, with and without. 8xAA should be a quite big performance hit. I used fxaa sharpen, it makes the image look lot sharper, but kills the AA effect. Using SMAA along with 8xAA now, the image looks smooth and aliased now.

Just curious what the difference is between using arma aa or the card's both performance and qualitywise?

with current game optimization, with my 670gtx, there is no difference if i have 8xAA or 0xAA, because it's to CPU limited.

Pretty much. Same in ArmA 2 as well.

Just curious what the difference is between using arma aa or the card's both performance and qualitywise?

Arma's AA (not the post process AA (PPAA), the real AA) will always be better than card AA or injected AA.

If you can force the game to run SSAA then that will be the best, but also kill your computer. In terms of injected AA, injected SMAA will always give better results than injected FXAA (which is only marginally better than a gaussian blur).

FXAA is more hardware expensive for me

And that's both on 260 and 660

So I use 2x MSAA and SMAA Ultra

Also the fake sharpening of FXAA is very hard on the eyes. FXAA eliminates a lot more micro detail than SMAA so the sharpening is there to hide this issue. But instead the sharpening is overdone. It should be subtle.

Also for some weird reason SMAA (not tried with FXAA yet) doesn't work in NVGs. Perhaps because of a monotonous colour?

Quality, as I understand the system: Your card only sees the whole picture and would make AA over every screen element - bad, you use it only if an application has no internal AA.

It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

I prefer a somewhat softer look than FXAA's heavy sharpening filter provides.

Normally I use 4x MSAA + SweetFX SMAA but now all of the sudden SweetFX refuses to work alongside Fraps?!! :mad:

The strangest thing about Arma's anti-aliasing is that it has absolutely no performance impact whatsoever on my particular system, no AA, 8x MSAA, it doesn't seem to matter, the frame rate stays the same regardless of whatever method I chose, lol :) (Maybe from a severe CPU bottleneck?)

Pretty much. Same in ArmA 2 as well.

not for me. On Cherno for example, with AA more then high, my performance degrades quite a lot. On taki i can use higher values, but not as high as on stratis in arma 3. 8xAA

I can´t see any fxaa and smaa antialiasing-effect at all since the beginning in the alpha in addition to the normal aa. In arma2/arrowhead and toh it works and gives additional antialiasing to the normal AA. My theory is that it works nowhere but no one take notice of it....lol

SMAA Ultra and AA only needs 4 or 8 for pretty decent quality.

SMAA is better than FXAA and is one of the few good things to come out of the cinsoles (was developed for the PS3 as it has no AA capablility).

For me AA makes the game jerky when looking at the grass in scope view, so i have to use SMAA on high with AA off.

Random thing is my system shouldn't have any issues with it. :confused:

AA x4 + SMAA Ultra here.

FXAA's sharpening filter looks like crap to me.

not for me. On Cherno for example, with AA more then high, my performance degrades quite a lot. On taki i can use higher values, but not as high as on stratis in arma 3. 8xAA

Huh. I don't know what your rig is like but for me it has never made a difference with Low/off AA versus Very High, framerate-wise.

Only reason I could see it hitting performance is if you are running out of VRAM.

Huh. I don't know what your rig is like but for me it has never made a difference with Low/off AA versus Very High, framerate-wise.

Only reason I could see it hitting performance is if you are running out of VRAM.

Well you use a Nvdia card and veryhigh is the same as high and normal 4x, in A2. You would have to use 6x or 8x to get real IQ AA. Tho you can use the 5,and 7 for Q filter added. But you are right about VRAM. 2GB is to low for 1200p+ and 6X+ AA. Now with Nvidia on the ball with 3Gb cards like AND's 79XX cards (680 4GBs too) this shouldn't be a issue for the 1080p to 1440p crowd. My opinion on PPAA is it is poor excuse for AA. I prefer the FXAA over the SMAA, and like sharpfilter when i do use it. But ingame MSAA is better than any PPAA you could hack up. I see 20fps dif between 4X and 8X @ 1440p while zooming. At that setting my VRAM hits 2.7+ GB.

SSAA (ATI,CCC setting) is over that amount and low frames hit hard.

Vsync is always on.

I'll either use SMAA or use no AA at all.

Other AA methods make the game look odd to my eyes. FXAA from memory seems like it overly sharpens the textures to make it look unnatural.

At the moment on 1920x1200 the game looks fairly decent. Only some textures like houses and the horrible mid range ground seem that a little bit of tessellation could maybe solve the problem???