Sign in to follow this  
freemangl

Tech wise (arma3 vs other huge map games)

I probably should not saying this, but it keeps me wondering is BI's technology(engine) isn't advanced enough to achieve beautiful water effect, terrain shadow cast... think about 3 years ago Just Cause 2 have all these and a huge map(around 900km^2) too...

Just took a look at some video showing the JC2 map and yes it is indeed a huge map... of barely nothing compared to it's size.

I can't believe some people think stratis is small... It's so freaking big that i'd get lost if it wasn't from the map and compass. Then the next island is 10 times larger. It's gonna be epic!

I really get the feeling that Chernarus was a whole lot bigger then Stratis was. Looking forward to the new map cause I'm a bit bored by this one

I really get the feeling that Chernarus was a whole lot bigger then Stratis was. Looking forward to the new map cause I'm a bit bored by this one

Chernarus is 225km²? Stratis was about 50km², so no doubt it is.

Chernarus is 170 sq. km, Stratis is 20.

Altis will be 270 sq. km... Think as if Chernarus and Takistan were on the same map.

All numbers disregard water.

Stratis is small for ArmA games but to put 20 sq. km into perspective - Skyrim is only 15.

And Utes, how big it is?

Object count also seems to be greater; Chernarus had about of 2 million object placed, wonder what are the numbers for other maps.

I just tried making a 16 x 16 km (4096x4096 pixel heightmap) map in Crysis SDK and I ran into precision problems quite close to the world origin. Then I tried it in UDK and it worked quite well, no precision problems. The only problem was that the map didn't fit in the actual world grid in the editor with the default scale of UDK, so I had to make it four times smaller....

ArmA definitely handles bigger terrains better.

JC2 uses sprites, low poly count and a lot of blur. Also very low object view distance there is tons of popup in that game with no ability to change it.

yup, although the blur and supposed heat haze stuff hides the popin pretty good :) It's nice trickery.

You guys think 900 km^2 is big? The map for 2009 racing game Fuel is 5,560 square miles, which is about the size of Connecticut. It takes over 2 hours to drive across.

yup, although the blur and supposed heat haze stuff hides the popin pretty good :) It's nice trickery.

Yeah they hide one kind of stuff that doesn't look good with another. Also the majority of the land are rather empty mountains.

You guys think 900 km^2 is big? The map for 2009 racing game Fuel is 5,560 square miles, which is about the size of Connecticut. It takes over 2 hours to drive across.

Yeah and it looks awful with tons of procedural copy pasta.

Falcon 4.0 has whole North and South Korea. Yet detail wise the map is very poor. It's all about size : detail ratio. No amount of procedural filler can top hand placed detail.