IndexCase

OSOK - Android Sniper Calculator for ACE

Hi This is is my first post. Im not certain which forum this should go in, but its for ARMA 2 OA, it is for an ARMA 2 OA mod, its FREE and it is complete, has no ads, no IAP, completely noncomercial. Just thought it needed doing.

GOOGLE PLAY LINK

So, what is this?

Its is a marksman/sniper calculator for android phones. It is only useful if you are running ACE mod.

How does it work?

RANGE

Enter the range to your target obtained by any means, the more accuate (Rangefinder) the better.

ELEVATION

When do i need to enter these values?:

Whenever there is a significant difference in elevation between you and your target the hypothenuse of a triangle is the value you get from the rangefinder, when it is the bottom leg you need to shoot correctly.

If you have connected the Vector to your DAGR and use the range found in the DAGR after ranging the target, these values are not needed.

You can not enter values that together with the range form anything but a right triangle. You will get 'NAN'

Sh. Elev. ASL: Your elevation above sea level.

T.Elev. ASl: Target Elevation above sea level.

WIND

Enter the crosswind in m/s.

The windage value in the app is always positive unless you need to use the wind dir button (see below). In game you use the arrow keys to adjust windage to the left or right (positive/negative). You need to press [sHIFT-K] to get the wind direction. If the arrow is pointing right ingame it means you have to adjust to the negative windage value you got from the app, pointing left means positive value.

WIND DIR Button

When do i use this?:

When you dont have a kestrel and you have estimated the wind strength by reading the ingame wind arrow [sHIFT-K]. You then enter your estimation based on the color code, then you click the wind dir button untill the arrow on the app matches the arrow ingame. It will shiw you the correct windage.

MISC

If you only enter a range but leave all other fields empty it will do a straight up elevation adjustment calculation based on the range only.

If you enter wind as well, it will do that too.

If you only enter one of the elevation values, they will not be considered.

Before you have chosen a weapon type, the app will not do any calculation.

After you have chosen a weapon, you can do this at any time, it will calculate on every keypress. This means that you can switch between weapon types using the same values while switching weapons. Effectively this means that one person could do calculations for three different shooters with three different weapons.

LIMITATIONS

The accuracy accuracy will be effected by a couple of different factors.

1: The nonlinear formula used is derived from the range tables found in game.

2: The granularity of the clicks on the scopes ingame. Example: m107 is 0.25 moa per click.

3: Headwind and tailwind are not considered at all.

4: The values given by the player.

ik4vur9.jpg

This is my first app, feedback is appreciated.

Edited by IndexCase

What an awesome idea! It's a pity i dont have an android phone.

Hello nice app, tho on my smaller screen I would wish for less aesthetics and maximum button and text space.

I'm on a HTC gratia and the 4th digit in any field goes down below the next field.

another wish would be the option to have the app not round off any numbers and give decimals if you want to in the answer. ( if the app rounds off before the final answer that is, however just being able to toggle rounding off on/off for the final answer would be a good addition, helps with small holds)

Also can you post the formulas the app is using to calculate everything ( want to compare to my own methods)

1: Sorry about the text on your phone, i know about the issue.

2: I have been thinking about the rounding. It rounds to the closest possible click on the scope, so that will stay in. However, i might add an indicator if it rounded and in what direction.

3: No. Not to be dickish, but me and a TWC member called Christian have put some hours into this. The app is free and i would like to keep it that way. You are most likely not one of them, but I know there are people who would happily make something like this (and probably better) for profit, however small, but they are going to have to do it with their own spent time. So i'm not posting the formulas online.

Edited by IndexCase

Sounds interesting will try it on my xperia.

"Hold on mate I cant fire yet, gotta open my APP to calculate stuff" xd

The app did not behave well in landscape mode, so i disabled tablets, which are more likely to be used in landscape mode. I have since locked it to portrait mode but forgot to re enable tablet support. Will do this tomorrow.

This is really cool! Great job, and thumbs up for keeping it clean without ads.

Well, what should i do? I'm not registrated at Google Play store... Is there a possibility to get this with a normal download too?

I have an app like that already installed for about 3 or 4 month and i wanna compare them.

What i can tell you, your app do look much better. "Our" was just for getting data fast, not for optics :D

Please make it available also without Google Play Store.

What should i do? I'm not registrated at Google Play store...

You answered your own question there.

Erm... I'm asking because i dont want to registrate there. Otherwise the question for an "Not-Google-Play-Store" download would be a littel bit useless, or?

So, no chance? To bad...

Is there any chance of this ever being released for other platforms? I know people with iPhones who would like to use it and someone without any smartphone who would love a PC version.

Personally I am quite enjoying it, in my eyes its faster than doing everything manually and I really like the interface.

Erm... I'm asking because i dont want to registrate there. Otherwise the question for an "Not-Google-Play-Store" download would be a littel bit useless, or?

So, no chance? To bad...

I thought it was impossible to have an android device without having a Google account, I guess you learn something new every day.

I thought it was impossible to have an android device without having a Google account, I guess you learn something new every day.

The cheaper tablets frequently don't have any play store access at all. I imagine on some devices it's a licensing issue.

Nice app, i have many suggestions.

- Add minus symbol "-" for set negative elevation. I can be in one spot lower than my enemy.

- Add more sniper rifles, i suggest selector, not buttons.

- Wind direction button not going well, you need push and push, i suggest add selector when you push the button.

- Add minus symbol "-" for set negative elevation. I can be in one spot lower than my enemy.

Just enter your elevation and the targets elevation, it adjusts the calculation depending on if the elevation difference is positive or negative. In other words: Already does this.

The only time when the elevation is negative is if the range is lower than the scopes zero.

- Add more sniper rifles, i suggest selector, not buttons.

This is for BLUFOR only, TWC is a clan portraying primarily UK and NATO units. I will not make an OPFOR calculator for this reason.

- Wind direction button not going well, you need push and push, i suggest add selector when you push the button.

The GUI is modeled after existing tech. The button layout can be added to but will not change during operation. I might add multiple functionality to the buttons via some ALT system, but i will not add wheels or selectors or floaty swipey bits.

Just enter your elevation and the targets elevation, it adjusts the calculation depending on if the elevation difference is positive or negative. In other words: Already does this.

The only time when the elevation is negative is if the range is lower than the scopes zero.

ASL Elevation is "Above Sea Level", if my target is below sea level, I need to put negative. I not remember if ArmA2 have terrain above ASL, but if yes, need set negative.

I dont know how often, if ever, terrain is below sea level. But it is not often enough to warrant an addition of a minus button and code to handle that situation.

But ok, i will play along. If you ever find yourself in that situation this is how i would do it with the app in its current form. If the target is 100m below sea level and you are 500 meters above sea level. Set his elevation to 0 and your own to 600, ie set his elevation to 0 and add the positive number of his elevation to your own. Or putting it another way. If t.elev.asl is -100 then t.elev.asl + 100 , sh.elev.asl + 100

The DAGR, show elevation ASL, the numbers on the map are always ASL.

Edited by IndexCase

Hey Index - Can you make this available on a regular FTP or Dropbox maybe? I would like to try and run it on Windows using BlueStacks. I am unable to download via the Google store, since I'm an iPhone guy. Alternatively, is there way to force the download to my desktop (or other location) from Google?

Forrest

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Regarding elevation - shouldn't the effect be about the same regardless of the direction of the elevation change? Pos and Neg should matter not to the bullet. It's all about the change in lateral distance via elevation.

Hi! Is it possible  to activate the link on google playstore, the download link shows that the file does not exist anymore.

Thanks

5 hours ago, BMSMetalhead said:

Hi! Is it possible  to activate the link on google playstore, the download link shows that the file does not exist anymore.

Thanks

I give you a hand with this, since the author has not logged in since 2013.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/miusfni5deb5aid/OSOK_v1.rar/file