Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

qasd/easd not working at all: Whats you vehicle (car) key assignments for fast/slow?

Guys,

this question is still open for so long for me and I have no good idea. This also applies to Arma II...

HOW DO YOU DRIVE with the keyboard when perma free looking? (i.e., vehicle movement is not controlled by mouse movements).

In Arma III I use the auto free look, in Arma II the first I do is double tap ALT when entering a car, because I neeeeed free look always. I.e. I control the car with wasd.

The default setup also has "e" for faster driving and "q" for slow.

BUT!

QASD or EASD are finger breakers, especially qasd is almost impossible. I find myself rarely using slow driving because it's somewhat inaccessible.

So I assigned fast driving to shift+w.

I have no solution for slow driving yet. If there was a toggle as in walk/run, then I would take TAB to toggle between normal and slow. But we do not have this. I'm thinking about going to the arrow keys for slow driving - WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION?

EDIT: While I write this I think I can try to use EASD for slow and SHIFT+W-ASD for fast.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Micha

Can't you assign Shift+W for fast and Ctrl+W for slow?

I forgot to mention: ctrl-modifier is to me also rather an uncomfortable finger breaker, because when using ctrl it's strange for the ring finger to stay on the "a". Don't you feel the same? Maybe this is about practising and doing finger exams :)

EDIT: yeah I had a closer look. At the time I move the little finger down to the CTRL key, the ring finger also goes down a bit and goes away from the "a" key... Also a reason why I don't use the substances too much...

Maybe I should really get used to use the ctrl...

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Maybe I should use w for slow, shift+w (comfortable for me) for normal fast and ctrl+w (a bit uncomfortable) for turbo... Yeah I should.

Edited by tortuosit

Why do you need Q/E for a car in the first place? I just use WASD

Because you need it all. q drives slow and e is kind of turbo, which drives faster than "w".

tortuosit

You could try this:

"w+s", "s+w" for slow

"w+e", "e+w" for fast

The combinations appear in two ways, so that it doesn't matter which key you press first. The combos for slow and fast can both be reached with the middle finger while ring finger and index finger rest on a and d.

I don't use the keyboard for driving, so I am just guessing. If you try it, please advise if it works.

if going with that style key mapping, i would say "w+q" = slow "w+s" = normal (reset) and "w+e" = fast. this means while holding W and driving forward all you need do is tap the key you want to do, like shifting a gear

if going with that style key mapping, i would say "w+q" = slow "w+s" = normal (reset) and "w+e" = fast. this means while holding W and driving forward all you need do is tap the key you want to do, like shifting a gear

Haven't tested btw because I'm not at my gaming rig. I think your scheme is not possible, because w+q(and a d) is a finger breaker. Also, it's not a short tap (toggle function) like shifting a gear, because you need to permanently hold the keys. I wish there was a toggling function for driving speeds.

OK guys, I still can't get used to the double keys like w+s, also they aren't possible for Arma II (which I play more than A3), so I decided I use this: ctrl+w=slow drive - w=normal drive - shift+w=turbo drive. I don't use slow drive too often and it's welcome to get used to using the ctrl key. Thanks for your time :)