Sign in to follow this  
nikluto

Im really bad, i think

I bought this game way back in the day, I loved the realism but it wouldnt run on my 500mHz computer too good, now that I have updated i installed it about 3 months ago, played through some of the original campaign (havent beaten it all the way through tough), played most of red hammer (again, i have ADD or something). and now halfway through Resistance. I never really learned how to attiquitly use my troops when Im commanding them. I usually just find a pack of russians, hit binoculars and try to issue orders to my troops (by hitting F2, F3, F4 etc and clicking on the moving russians) and my dude says "3, attack Soldiers" blah blah blah but that doesnt seem to effective. I am horrible at advanced unit controls. Can someone point me to a comprehensive guide on this subject, or give me a quick lesson? Im sure there are a number of hotkeys that would help me..my way seems slow and boring

thank you much

Nick

Hi, I have had some problems too but when I get into combat i order my troops to fire at will (by pressing the keys`,3,5,) and to got to the combat mode of danger (`,7,2) and to stay low (`, 7, 7) and usualy i end up successful and kill the enemys.

What he said.

Also, if you're ambushing someone, or you expect an attack, it's good to strategically place your troops around. Just select the troop with the corresponding F key and click where you want them to go (as long as it isnt an enemy)

here is my advice nikluto *same as u i never read the OPF manual chapter for managering troops biggrin.gif*:

Create a mission in the desert island, place u chief *easy to do just 2 thing to do,place a unit and select player as commander in the left menu option*.

And pass some time to discover the command menu, and it's specicificity, after that try to redone so tricks in mission:

like hold fire, watch X o'clock, watch around (for sniper and AA), cut into small groups

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. It took me a while to get it all down, but now giving commands is second nature, so if I leave anything out of my post try & work with me. One of the first missions in resistance (the ambush one where you have to gather some weapons) is an excelent example of giving commands. I'll tell you briefly my plan of attack for missions like this.

When I first start the mission I usually look around for supplies near my insertion point. If I find some I'll have my troops gather stuff that I couldn't assign to them in the briefing by hitting the F keys for which ever soldier I want to get the gear, follwed by 6 (the action key) and the selection I want.

Now, moving on to the waypoint which is around 700 meters or so. I just go east directly to the waypoint. This is some distance away so the first thing I think about is my formation (key 8) I usually give orders to all my soldiers at once so I just use the (`) key. When moving long distances I keep my formation the default wedge because if I run into some unexpected enemy units to my right or left flank, I want as many of my troops to have an un obstructed view as possible and to prevent friendly fire. If I'm traveling more than 1 kilometer I'll tell the soldiers on the ends of the formation (that last numbered soldiers) to scan the horrizon (3 [engage] followed by 7) These guys are the look outs. If I hear shots in the distance I'll set a single soldier to look in that direction by hitting his F# key, then holding alt & clicking in the direction I want him to watch.

Once I'm about 250 meters away from my waypoint I'll do some observation & check out if there's any activity. If I can't see the waypoint or it looks suspecius I'll go into a line formation (8 then 7) and select 4 guys, two for each side to get the flanks. I do this by selecting their f#'s & hitting 1 (movement) then 4 or 5 for flank left or right. This sends the guys about 50 meters out to the side of the formation. If I know what I'm going up against & I know I won't be out flanked & I'll go into a V formation with my 4 flanking soldiers on each side.

When I get to my waypoint, I do another observation of the area to make sure there's no enemy units lurking in the bushes. In the ambush mission it's clear so I'll start to stratigically place my men by selecting them individually & gving them orders to go to spots on both sides of the small valley we're in. Preferably I want them near trees & bushes so the'll be harder to spot. Once I have them evenly spread out (don't want clusters, easy for tanks) I start to run north up the road & suddenly I hear over the radio the're a jeep coming, so I tell all my troops to hold fire (3,2) & go into stealth mode (7 [arareness] follwed by 1) so the'll get down, I'd use the get down command (6) but I've never had much luck with it because they won't get back up unless I tell them to stand up (5) & then they won't go prone when they hear gun fire, so I just don't use those commands.

So I jump in the bushes & wait for the jeep to go by, once it does I run up the road about 200 meters & place some mines along the side of the road (not on the road). Then I run back down as I'm listening to the guy over the radio call out incoming enemy vehicles. I'll run back down to the waypoint & run up on top of one of the over looking cliffs so I can see the enemy convoy moving in and identify them by right clicking them while looking through my binoculars. This will let the rest of my squad know about them.

As the two front tanks roll by I let them go & wait for the convoy. About a minute later the convoy rolls up & I individually select my law soldiers & give them their targets by hitting their F#'s then right clicking which target I want them to follow. Once every soldier has his target the'll say "ready to fire" I make sure the whole convoy is in view & either hit 3,3 for fire (this means fire untill target distroyed) or 3,1 open fire (soldier aquires other targets & fires on them after initial target is destroyed) I'll select all the troops at once using the ` key & tell them to open fire. Then the squad will commence an orchestrated attack on the convoy which usually results in one big explosion with only rockets being fired & no bullets. Then a few seconds later in the distance I'll hear two big explosions from the two tanks I let go hit the mines I placed on the side of the road (tanks don't usually drive on the road when they turn around).

And thats my example of a good mission that using simple commands you can easily winthe mission. Hope this helped you.

I usualy try to do that mission without the two trucks getting destroyed. its not easy...

usefull info about the two fire modes I did'nt know they were both different like that!...more of the same please! wink.gif ...

How do you make your AA gunners select RPG instead of AK47/74?. is there a way?.

sometimes the AI will destroy an empty Vehicle (like trucks above) even though its empty!. is there a way of preventing this other than having a driver get in?...

Yep, on ambush missions, hiding your troops, hold fire, once target are in range, assign wisely (AT on heavy tanks, LAW on light ones, guns on troop transport).

The "Ready to fire" call is for me the trigger of the open fire order.

BUT, pb with LAW launchers is that they are a little bit too powerfull, they have a tendancy to target every single vehicle in range once you gave the "Open fire" order and they have destroyed their first assigned target.

You can try to be faster than them by reassigning correct target before their second LAW launch, but I found a better way : do not order them "Open fire" (3-1), but the "Fire" order (3-4, if I remember well). They will stay in "Hold fire" mode, but will destroy their current target, then stop firing. You can then reassign target at will, reissuing a "Fire" order.

The "Open fire" order is issued for the rest of my squad.

I usually place MG on the first line of my ambush, in short range, targetting troop transports, as they are extremely effective at shooting soldiers getting out of their truck or BMP smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> do not order them "Open fire" (3-1), but the "Fire" order (3-4, if I remember well). They will stay in "Hold fire" mode, but will destroy their current target, then stop firing. You can then reassign target at will, reissuing a "Fire" order.

<span id='postcolor'>

This has got to be the biggest single help I've had in a long time. at least since I had KY jelly recomended wink.giftounge.gif ...

Now!, how about getting your tank driver to go in a straight line!!...

my commonly used key combos.

infantry:

3-2: hold fire

right click on target: target enemy

3-1: fire at will

3-3: fire only at target

8-7:line formation, perfect for when you're about to engage since it allows you to concentrate firepower at 12 o'clock. (works with tanks, usually the best formation to attack)

8-1: colum formation, when i want to travel quickly and un-noticed, classic stealth formation used by native americans.

7-7:keep low. (default)

7-6: go prone.

7-5: stand up.

6: action menu, invaluable since i can have teammates carry rockets and extra ammo for me and other teammates and with this command you can make them drop it or pick it up. having problems picking up rockets for myself though.

1-6: tells your men to stop, very usefull since it creates a wall of support which will engage all the enemy you see so it allows you to advance or infiltrate without having to kill any enemy you see.

tanks: these commands are assuming you're in the gunner/commander role.

a & d: press for a relatively long time in order to get the damn driver to go where you want to. the other tanks in formation with you mover accoring to hwo you move so just put them in a "line formation 8-7 and it works for most missions.

Q: advance slowly, the driver advances very slowly in the direction that he's pointing in and you squad in other tanks keep formation. this is what i use when i'm going to engage an enemy base with tanks since it's not too fast and dosen't force the whole squad into an advanced position prematurely.

W: medium speed, good for danger areas which you have to get out of quickly:

E: fast, recommended for crusing only when you're sure you won't be engaged.

these are the ones that i use most in Resistance therefore they are the only ones that i memorised, there is still a lot that can be done but with these basics i've gotten pretty far in the campaign. i'm taking my sweet time with each mission because it's such a good campaign that i don't want to finish it smile.gif ,so far i've played every misison around 10 times each.

hoowah for BIS, game was worth every hard earned penny.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd use the get down command (6) but I've never had much luck with it because they won't get back up unless I tell them to stand up (5) & then they won't go prone when they hear gun fire, so I just don't use those commands.

<span id='postcolor'>

You can use them. Just tell your team mates to keep low (7) if you want them to get to the normal stance.

e.g. you tell them to "go prone", then issue the "keep low" order and they will stand up if they want smile.gif the same goes for "stand up".

BTW,

Can anyone please tell me what the def. of the right click in the original key configuration is, i've changed mine and I don't know now how to order the AI to target the enemy and not fire.

Thanks

It is great fun doing team tactics in OFP I like it more than doing a Rambo and killing them all my self. I tend to spend a lot of time setting up an attack.

I do all (`) key top left of qwerty section in the numbers 3 2

To make my soldiers Hold Fire.

Then (`) 7 1 stealth

Then (`) 7 6 Hit the Dirt

I tend to switch my section's formation around a bit 8 as to the nature of the ground Down a hedge row in column or staggered column say.

I also use Teams (F2,F3,F4) 9 9 1 (Team Red) (F5,F6,F7,F8) 9 9 2 (Team green) etc.

If I have Spec Ops with my section I put them on point and a sniper and or MG backing them up.

If they encounter the enemy its (`) 1 6 Stop and we go into a freeze then I try to get units not in contact to 3 8 scan horizon or watch a particular direction

Then after a quick scan horizon myself I scout the enemy positions maybe taking two Spec Ops or a sniper with me as personal protection.

Having done all that; I make a plan, looking at the map for best ingress and for if things go sour egress route and rally point.

Then I use the map and the tactical display (Del) on the number pad to infiltrate my troops through the trees, bushes and hedge lines to within 100 metres of the enemy

Next I set all my section with designated targets with the right mouse or using 2 target. Sometimes if the target is a M2 I might double up on targets

Infantry Target precedence is as follows

Officers

Special Ops

Snipers

MGuners

Grenadiers

Then Soldiers and RPGs

Anti armor precedence I aint got one. Try not to get into fights with armor use mines and satchels before I ever get involved in Infantry rockets agin armor is my rule. Then take out the most direct threat I usually try to put two anti armor rockets on every tank and cary one myself as back up. A single RPG or LAW per IFV. I also set up the mgs to guard them. I try to place Anti armor in a places shielded from infantry if at all possible. The undulating ground since Resistance makes this more possible.

When all my section are calling ready to fire I get myself to a position where I can target the most dangerous enemy troops

Then hit (`) 3 1 FIRE

Ideally a fire fight lasts no more than 10 seconds.

Now that is section tactics.

But have you lot commanded a Platoon in OFP? Or How about a company or maybe 2 or 3 with artillery support and a mortar sections. Would you like to? Do you write missions? If so contact me I may have something to interest you.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Regards walker

Wow this really helps, I think I will start over and play OPF first, then red hammer, then resistance in that order and FINISH each campaign...my impacience is sad. thanks guys, this game seems like a lot of fun, although my friends tend to mock me because this game isn't a clone of UT or Quake...screw em smile.gif

what i do is set to danger tell them to take cover which they do just got keep em close tho and tell the to watch so and so oclock. I get out my binocs and spot targets which is the reason y they dont usally attack is they dont see em but if u spot the ai open up with deadly accuracy, my my ai guys alone in the open i saw 3 tanks coming in behind us i said watch 3oclok then turned got out there rpgs and killed the t80, t72 and bmp in the first few secs, do the ai when attacking team up on the strongest unit? cause they all fired at once only one went of bmp 3 went for t72 and rest went for t80.

If youv'e got a large squad to command first off assign it as a team (either as a whole or into parts) this is gonna make selection quicker.

Your squad can be a bit too eager to loose off at the enemy so get them to hold fire quite a bit ahead of any target/encounter. Command your squad/unit to halt ahead of any objective then go ahead and recon the situation yourself. Get your men into position as stealthy as possible - usually by crawling in. Position your squad to hide in buhes etc and make sure there watching the correct points ( you'll here them shouting out enemy positions anyway). If you wanna eliminate the enemy yourself secrete yourself in a bush then pick a target and fire but never loose off more than two rounds at once or they'll (enemy) locate you and it's all over. For a team effort simply issue the order to open fire to your squad. A well positioned team, with your help, can quite quickly knockout a superior force.

Is it possible to write scripts or something so you can assign a 'hot key' for cease fire, ect...?

the menu is a bit laborious when you're in a hurry. I find it hard to play as a Commander should. sitting back and giving orders. I like to get into the fire myself, but I often find myself without time to scroll through the menu.(especialy when trying to stop AI blowing up trucks I want to keep) wink.gif ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to write scripts or something so you can assign a 'hot key' for cease fire, ect...? <span id='postcolor'>

BoonieRat

You should re-read the posts we have been saying about the hot keys and use in the last few posts. wink.gif

Walker

So how do I assign ,say..., 'key F' to toggle 'fire/ don't fire'?.

There is an option to do changes to your controls in the game. I dont think the radio keys are included but why change them? Just Learn the existing ones it is not hard.

They are layed out in a logical manner.

Each is in their respective radio key order.

You would have to change the radio key order as well.

You can write a suplimentary control interface to add extra funtionality. I think such commands in 1.46 have to be keys 1 to 8 on the qwerty section ofd the keyboard.

With 1.75 there is now the dialogs option exposed to scripters. There will probably be some new interface additions via it but there is a lot of research into how to do this first. Sveral major problems need to be solved before we see anything realy useful.

And Interface design is a whole diferent discipline from scripting I know many briliant coders who coulnt create an interface worth s**t (but they would never believe you if you told them)

Regards walker

I only use the numberpad and arrow keys and the ones above. the whole qwerty pad is going to waste!. plus I have to actualy look at the keypad to see what I'm doing. plus its only a few of the orders I use regularly. those are the ones I'd change. like 'fire/dontfire'. the 'all units' key I'd move to the other side of the pad!(where I can reach it without searching wink.gif. plus I'd definatly like to asign a 1 press key for team colours..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BoonieRat @ July 28 2002,03:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to write scripts or something so you can assign a 'hot key' for cease fire, ect...?

the menu is a bit laborious when you're in a hurry. I find it hard to play as a Commander should. sitting back and giving orders. I like to get into the fire myself, but I often find myself without time to scroll through the menu.(especialy when trying to stop AI blowing up trucks I want to keep) wink.gif ...<span id='postcolor'>

I'd look into this program: www.gamecommander.com

I use voice commands for all my troops so it's as easy as telling your troops to do what you want smile.gif I'd never go back.

COLINMAN

i also had and still have problem with commands. there are several ones I use, but that's it.

if you want to train yourself, do what someone in first page set. goto an island, place yourself as the leader of a squad, and put some enemy in places where AI can't see immediately when they start.

then practice your commands while moving to the enemy's place, and then start practicing engaging enemies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I use voice commands for all my troops so it's as easy as telling your troops to do what you want  I'd never go back.

<span id='postcolor'>

does that proggie actualy work?. I've always disdained voice recognition proggies as an excellent idea that falls far short of the mark...

No probs with OFP?. there are so many commands for OFP I'd worry about it confusing between them!. is it OK in that respect?.

MORE INFO!, DAYGLOW!! smile.gif ... tell us what it works like!. do you use it for the troop/radio commands only?. or do you use it for the 'first/third~person' aspect as well?...

PS. UK availability anyone?...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if you want to train yourself, do what someone in first page set. goto an island, place yourself as the leader of a squad, and put some enemy in places where AI can't see immediately when they start.

then practice your commands while moving to the enemy's place, and then start practicing engaging enemies.

<span id='postcolor'>

I need to suss out how to use the Editor first! tounge.gif .I've had OFP from Day 1 but never used the Editor!!. shame cause the potential is mind boggleing!...

Regarding an earlier suggestion to use "engage at will":

"Engage at will" can be dangerous. Guys will scurry ahead across wide open fields to take "cover" by standing upright(!) near some bush(!). All too often you'll see one or two guys sprinting ahead, only to be surprised by an enemy off their LOS. To make matters worse, they sometimes seem to put a higher priority on completing their movement than returning fire. Little or no sense of self preservation.

Formations and concentration of fire is much more effective, especially against AI squads who always seem to walk into a firefight piecemeal using "engage at will".

What I would like to see is an AI soldier who'll immediately drop to one knee and start shooting at the closest target in range, unless I tell him otherwise.

Edit:

Did some testing, and found that the AI can be much more effective when set to "engage at will". Specifically, they will be quicker to fire their weapons if left to their own devices (which is most of the time, unless you're a micromanagement god). The problem of unit cohesion remains if you're constantly using "engage at will" with "danger" or "stealth", but the improvement in reaction time is IMHO well worth it.

I think it has been said before but

The Right mouse button is the key to playing as a commander.

Whether asking a specific unit or units to target an enemy via F# whatever

OR

Just bringing that enemies existence to your teams attention without assigning a unit to tatget it. Binocs and sniper rifles help here.

Regards walker.