Sign in to follow this  
freemangl

Recoil to sky?

When you continuously fire, the recoil will force you aiming way to sky, but after stop firing you can't return to original position. It's very inconvenient that you have to move you mouse each time.

I like battlefield 3's Recoil method. when you stop fire, your gun will most likely return the the position before you fire.

Can it automatic return to your original aiming position after you fire in the nest release version?

Check this feedback: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2425

Edited by freemangl

It will likely not change as it doesn't need to. Moving your mouse isn't that inconvenient.

Hi!

Current recoil makes no sense at all as been discussed to death here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148083-6-5-mm-and-recoil-management-in-game

Also, Devs are aware:

Also, we will be looking at the grenades and handling of weapons: there is a big recoil enhancement going on, and some more cool stuff about which we can hopefully tell more in the near future.

http://www.arma3.com/news/report-in-lukas-haladik-sandox-design#.UZTsl8rX6QY

The current type of recoil, or lets say barrel deviation was introduced to stop the full auto sniper issue with assault rifles amnd MG in Multiplayer. Thes makes full auto firing less acurate and you have to uise your mouse to correct it...you get used to it quite fast...autocenter is no solution as it will make long range burts way to effective again. The effect will reduce the lower the stance used.

It's kind of stupid to have the gun smoothly move back to the original position after firing 20 shots full auto imo. I do however think it's kind of a strong kick from the 6.5mm gun. It's almost as if the soldier you're playing as has no ability to hold the gun down whatsoever but I like that because it makes it so you can't just sit there firing full auto and have to make an effort to control your fire as you would in real life.

I like battlefield 3's Recoil method

FYI this isn't Battlefield 3. I know the font the game uses may be confusing and all but it's ArmA, a sim.

FYI this isn't Battlefield 3. I know the font the game uses may be confusing and all but it's ArmA, a sim.

Nothing about that was necessary.

OT: the recoil is less depending on the stance, so that pays off. What we could really use though is a method of weapon stabilisation on surfaces i.e. ground, wall, window sill etc. If the recoil is to be so extreme then there has to be ways to minimise it that also reflect RL.

Maybe they could introduce a system that gradually draws your weapon back to it's original aimpoint over time, say like a half second or so? For every consecutive shot the deviation becomes greater and the loss of the original aimpoint becomes greater?

I don't think anyone wants an "auto-recentering" of weapons. This is about weapons being unaffected by gravity when firing. During a burst, it should be up to the player to stay on target, of course. But when they stop firing, the weapon should naturally return to its relative "start" position.

Personally, I rarely notice it, as adjusting for it has become a subconscious act. It just feels kind of unnatural when I do notice it, and seems kind of silly for a "sim". Any game that purports to simulate reality really should attempt to include gravity in that reality.

I don't think anyone wants an "auto-recentering" of weapons. This is about weapons being unaffected by gravity when firing. During a burst, it should be up to the player to stay on target, of course. But when they stop firing, the weapon should naturally return to its relative "start" position.

Personally, I rarely notice it, as adjusting for it has become a subconscious act. It just feels kind of unnatural when I do notice it, and seems kind of silly for a "sim". Any game that purports to simulate reality really should attempt to include gravity in that reality.

Well that's kind of what I meant. Whatever you want to call it, it would be a simulation of gravity, gravity recenter's your weapon. I'm not saying there should be something that constantly pulls your aim down while shooting, but rather after your shot or shots have been fired. What I meant by larger deviation and loss of aimpoint was that if you full auto'd an entire clip, your aim would not be 1:1 to where you started after you stopped firing. Not like an active system reducing recoil per se.

Watch that and you kind of see during the second half speed clip that even on full auto, there is some resettling of the weapon due to muscle tension and gravity. The current system feels like it's lacking that, hopefully the new system they introduce will factor it in.

Well that's kind of what I meant.

Just to clarify, mine was a general reply to the topic, I hadn't seen your post yet.

It seems that the people who react negatively to this idea are the ones who don't fully understand it. In fact, many don't seem to understand recoil in any iteration of the series. The original topic Smurf linked above is ample evidence of that.

Just to clarify, mine was a general reply to the topic, I hadn't seen your post yet.

It seems that the people who react negatively to this idea are the ones who don't fully understand it. In fact, many don't seem to understand recoil in any iteration of the series. The original topic Smurf linked above is ample evidence of that.

My mistake. Rereading my post though I noticed that what you described was kind of how I made it sound though.

My mistake. Rereading my post though I noticed that what you described was kind of how I made it sound though.

We're definitely on the same page.

This is what I mean:

I am not saying that the recoil is too high (which is what those other issues are about).

I am saying that the game mechanic for the recoil is not properly implemented. I'm fine with the current *amount* of recoil, but the aim needs to reset to the same approximate direction after each shot.

This is what I mean:

I can appreciate the issue. I think that for standing, the recoil is probably realistic, despite it being annoying in gameplay. But for crouched & prone then recoil should definitely return to approximately previous position. Reason: standing you have very little in the way of bracing, crouching you can brace against your own body sort of, and prone is prone :)

Does the AI "suffer" the same amount of recoil?

If the gun will return to the "same approximate position" (which judging from the other discussion should be like a few pixels from where the aim was) hitting stuff will be too easy and there will be no recoil really. Hitting stuff is already easy since there's no suppression and guns are weightless, making it any easier will make ArmA extremely dull.

Current system is fine, new players just refuse to adapt to a gameplay that is something else but arcade shootbox like a certain game in the OP.

And if you want reasoning - before 1.54 for OA ArmA series had exactly that non-existent recoil and people were sniping enemies with MGs. It was ridiculous. Current recoil effectively eliminated that and made hitting stuff require some effort. Just like IRL.

Edited by metalcraze

If the gun will return to the "same approximate position" (which judging from the other discussion should be like a few pixels from where the aim was) hitting stuff will be too easy and there will be no recoil really.

Well I disagree slightly - a few pixels is often more than enough to miss, especially at 200m or more, and also it depends on the speed of the approximate return. I would expect a return speed of around 1.5 seconds for crouched to be a reasonable starting point, tweak up or down for gameplay/realism whatever.

Wanna bet people will still complain unless it returns immediately? Since you can easily spend a mere moment returning the barrel to its original position yourself.

Edited by metalcraze

Wanna bet people will still complain unless it returns immediately? Since you can easily spend a mere moment returning the barrel to its original position yourself.

People will always complain :)

Then why not keep it how it is except lower MX 6.5mm recoil a bit when crouched/prone (which I can agree is a bit overdone) if the complaints-per-hour result will be the same?

Then why not keep it how it is except lower MX 6.5mm recoil a bit when crouched/prone (which I can agree is a bit overdone) if the complaints-per-hour result will be the same?

Weeeellll... some things, you know, are sort of non-issues. These settings are configurable and you KNOW that there will be at least one generally-accepted "fixed" version :)

Recoil will be worked on I'm sure for AI ... at present they are totally shocking ! My grandmother could aim better .... and she's dead !