Hey! How about a micro campaign that simulates an early X-COM mission. An air combat to shoot down the UFO could be an intro. After its shot down an early X-COM unit (normal special forces really) is sent in to secure the crash site. This mission would simulate how it looks from the perspective of X-COM operatives during the early stages of the conflict.

That sounds like a nice concept for a mission, some X-Com style special force soldiers would be great to go with these Alienz.

Taro8, that is exactly what we are playing tonight, too bad no foreign players applied for the event...

You have a capital Z at the end of your mod, better make sure you put a disclaimer somewhere that ensures people that these are indeed NOT Zombie Aliens. But on the contrary it has a capital Z so that means maybe BI will contact you about a possible AlienZ standalone title?

Well, to be truthful, there are zombie aliens present in the addon ;)

Well, to be truthful, there are zombie aliens present in the addon ;)

:O.

IceBreakr you have done something never done before. Please contact BI soon to make a new standalone title called AlienZ, it'll kinda be similar to Pound of Ground!

That sounds like a nice concept for a mission, some X-Com style special force soldiers would be great to go with these Alienz.

Yeah some I dont think that Arma 2 has any futuristic units (aside from Halo mod). Something really high tech, but only 20 minutes into the future. Im thinking something like Tom Clancy's Ghosts or soldiers from Arma 3. However, my idea was to simulate the first engagements with xenos. During those the X-COM was pretty much a generic special forces with latest and best equipment. So pulling this off is rather easy if you take some cool looking specops unit and give them high tec weapons like SCAR's and such.

I looked around a bit and found Kryptek Special Forces. The night camo unit looks like you would imagine an very early X-COM opperative.

Hello IceBreakr and the whole Alien Z stuff

thanks for this addon. I love it. Had some minor errors popping up see spoiler

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Helicopter/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret body mainTurret not found while initializing the model vai34\vai34.p3d

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Helicopter/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret gun mainGun not found while initializing the model vai34\vai34.p3d

Warning Message: Cannot load texture ca\air\data\optika_heli_tl.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture ca\air\data\optika_heli_stred.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture ca\air\data\optika_heli_bl.paa.

In Vehicle: xz07\xz07.p3d missing driver get in direction point

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Helicopter/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret body mainTurret not found while initializing the model xz07\xz07.p3d

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Helicopter/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret gun mainGun not found while initializing the model xz07\xz07.p3d

When I'm placing the player as gunner in the aircraft and switch to optics I can't see the surroundings it's all just white.

Keep on testing and reporting. Tested version 1.1

Keep up the good work.

Yeah some I dont think that Arma 2 has any futuristic units (aside from Halo mod). Something really high tech, but only 20 minutes into the future. Im thinking something like Tom Clancy's Ghosts or soldiers from Arma 3. However, my idea was to simulate the first engagements with xenos. During those the X-COM was pretty much a generic special forces with latest and best equipment. So pulling this off is rather easy if you take some cool looking specops unit and give them high tec weapons like SCAR's and such.

I looked around a bit and found Kryptek Special Forces. The night camo unit looks like you would imagine an very early X-COM opperative.

Yeah, the Arma 3 tech looks really futuristic and seems like it would fit a future war between aliens and humans well (Especially the Iranian [speculation, at the moment OPFOR] tech). Since it uses a mixture of upgraded modern tech and new designs, it would make for an 'Earth Defense Force' type of style so I'm looking forward to some alien mod being made for A3.

So glad for this thread. I've been playing the Enemy Unknown CO8 mission in singleplayer with ACE and this mod and it is a blast. I am also a LONG TIME XCOM fan.

Would you guys possibly port this mod to ARMA 3?

FYI - I did test this mod in ARMA 3 with All in ARMA mod and it works for simple missions such as SP_THE_MOTHER_SHIP.ProvingGrounds_PMC.7z (2 MB) but some things are broken such as no visible lasers or blaster beams.

The ARMA 3 beta engine looks so much better.

I think the Kryptek gear with ARMA 3 near future soldiers and loadout for X-Com operatives vs the Alien would be at totally awesome setup. This is one of my dream FPS!

I think the Kryptek gear with ARMA 3 near future soldiers and loadout for X-Com operatives vs the Alien would be at totally awesome setup. This is one of my dream FPS!

well ive started and successfully made the basis for a Database system using Arma2net and Arma2mysqlplugin...

To be honest the reason i started the DB system was to make something with xcom in mind. I was wondering if this was going to be fully ported to A3 at anypoint? Reason i ask is that i started in A2 with the DB an then moved to A3? If its not going to be ported i will carry on with the A2 DB system.

And just to give anyone interested an idea... Already created a driving xp system - that only lets you drive things based on XP, flight xp system - all equip is fully recalled down to the number of rounds in a weapon. Just fiddling with the server side of saving stuff - and in relation to this game and xcom - such things as storing quantities of things at base, hours of research on things, vehicle improvements etc.

I think what you guys have made is absolutely awesome work :)

@ Mikie boy - You have an awesome idea. Just like the old X-Com level up system. It is almost a RPG system but my question would be what abilities will be upgradeable vs play balance usability?

For instance, encumbrance would be hard to factor in a milsim or even any FPS or TPS (third person shooter), since the server has to record how much load the player has carried and for how long.

Also, if a group of players first start a mission with your DB at zero, won't they get slaughtered by the Aliens just like the "squadies" in X-Com due to not being able to use all the cool gear until later on?

In real life, an X-Com type unit would probably be composed of special forces, not conventional forces, type for operations until the Aliens amass enough resources for a full onslaught. Then it would become Battle L.A, Independence Day, Battleship (yeh, I liked this movie) or Pacific Rim.

Sorry to go OT.

just noticed that all the alien classes are "zetaborn_alien1" format - however alien 9 class has been written "zetaborn_9" - just FYI.

Where can we follow the Arma 3 AlienZ development? I have been checking daily 1. Your website 2. This thread 3. Everywhere else

Thanks.

A3 is not out yet... and A2 stuff works in it with project AiA.

The A2 version of AlienZ only works with A2/CO content. It does not work with A3 units for instance so we need an A3 version. :D

Apologies. I assumed you were already in development. I'll be patient. This mod is definitely worth the wait. I just hope that you do decide to take this mod that direction. Thanks for all your hard work.

I tried the units and so on and you really should remove the helicopter sound from the aircrafts. Change to something else... And the tanks are horrible to drive, maybe thats the reason they can just drive about 50m and then flipping around. If i drive fast and then make a turn, the tank flips.

And aiming with the mothership is not correctly (just me?). The weapon hits the ground about 10m left and upper to the crosshair(recruit mode) - not possible to aim from the inside of the mothership. Nice interior btw.

As far as i can see, its just for enemys, not that much for playing by yourself. Amazing and i hope it will get a nice update again.

Thinking, maybe playing a mission if you are hosting one again.

I wanted to try this with A3 but instead of them showing as aliens its plain old infantry.

Any plans to bring it into A3 since we are still waiting for Visitor4?

I wanted to try this with A3 but instead of them showing as aliens its plain old infantry.

Any plans to bring it into A3 since we are still waiting for Visitor4?

BadBenson has his own plans for A3, ask him ;)

Ice I have tried contacting you but havnt seen a response. Let me start again by saying THIS IS AN AWESOME MOD. Cant say that strong enough.

I want to feature this as part of a series of missions called Alien Life. Here are 2 videos of what Im working with so far on Lingor and Emita. More maps will follow.

Only Issue I have with this mod is when you play an Alien your vision is a red color filter. I thought version 1.1 removed this from multiplayer, but in testing, it was there, and when you change from alien back to a human class the red color filter was still there. So I removed the filter so vision is like any other unit. I would like it if you could release a new version of this mod with that change, so I can keep building upon my mission series. I do not plan on making a release of your mod with my changes as that would be disrespectful. I would not do that without your permission.

Here is what I changed. Inside the PBO "@alienz\addons\babe_zetaborn\scripts" the "zetaborn_init.sqf" I placed a // on all lines. This essentially leaves a file with nothing being done in it. Perhaps you could re-upload the mod with this change so players could have normal vision instead of the colored filter.

I hope you like what Im doing with the Alienz in my mission series, but if we cant get a fixed version with normal vision, I will stop work on the missions and just convert them into a solo Single Player set of missions.

Does anyone have a clue how to set a perimeter that would disable running that effects script if for example value in init line would state "vision=false" or something like that?

Have no idea but does mean an Arma 3 version is in the works?! Oh Please?!?! :)