Sign in to follow this  
tehlowness

Troubleshooting Sattlite Mask

Hey folks,

Im tryn to get my own fantasy world working but somewhere i make some mistakes :mad:.

(Visitor always crashs with my sattalite - mask png´s and layer cfg)

I see many tutorials here but i dont understand the part of making the sat mask from the height png :/.

It would be awesome if u can explain me the next step in "easy-english" because i dont understand complex words :butbut:.

If we have some noob helper map builders here it would be awesome if i could spam u with pm´s and for that i would treat you like god :rolleyes:.

is visitor crashing when importing your sat and mask?

if so could be a improperly configured layer config file or maybe your sat and layer masks and not right. first they should both be .png files second the layer mask must be rgb not indexed.

as far as the sat mask goes sat you have a heightmap that's 512x512 with 5 meter cells giving you and area that's 2560^2.

so if you made a .png sat mask that's 2560 pixels by 2560 pixels that's 1 pixel of sat mask per meter in game.

now since that's a very small terrain you could say double up and create a sat mask that's 5120 pixels by 5120 pixels that will give you a 1/2 meter per pixel in game for a higher resolution looking sat map.

of course you have to specify those options in visitor under project parameters as well

with that layer mask that is just single colors that are used to define which ground texture get mapped where.

it is easier to use , say photoshop, in indexed format to select only the single colors you which to use so there is no mixing of colors as they must be specified individually in the layer config file, however make sure you switch the file back to rgb format before you save and export it.

if you still cant figure it out post your layer config file so we can take a look and please don't pm spam me either :)

There are the first probs :P

My heightmap is about 2048x2048 with a grid size of 6 that makes a map of 12288x12288 I cant save a file with this size in PS as .png :/

I know how the mask map must look like but i dont know how to get this big file saved as a mask map.

But how do I create the sat mask from a fantasy Island?

Here is my map (L3DT files)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-7612707/firstmap.rar.html

How i get the Sat img of this now ?

Does someone know a programm which allows me to save a png with 12288x12288 ?

Edited by tehlowness

My heightmap is about 2048x2048 with a grid size of 6 that makes a map of 12288x12288 I cant save a file with this size in PS as .png :/

why? I just opened photoshop and it saved fine.

How i get the Sat img of this now ?

Does someone know a programm which allows me to save a png with 12288x12288 ?

well I looked at your l3 project and if you generate a water table first then generate a attribute mask(which you can use as your layer mask) and generate a sat mask, both at am/hf ratio 6 that will give you 12288x12288.

then you can export those layers as pngs and use them in photoshop to taylor your masks to your delight.

why? I just opened photoshop and it saved fine.

Im just a idiot :mad: my option was on 32bit.

well I looked at your l3 project and if you generate a water table first then generate a attribute mask(which you can use as your layer mask) and generate a sat mask, both at am/hf ratio 6 that will give you 12288x12288.

then you can export those layers as pngs and use them in photoshop to taylor your masks to your delight.

How i get a res from 12288 if i export the attribute mask it´s 2048x2048?

And how i can generate the sat mask out of it ?

Srry im a real noob in L3DT :P

Btw. if i look on the layer mask i see this dark spots only on the very deep places of the sea, why this ?

When you go to export any mask a popup box shows up. That's where you can set the am/hf ratio that makes the masks high res.

In l3 there's drop down menus that has generate attribute mask, generate texture mask. The texture mask is the sat mask.

well theres a few mistakes I see

1) your folder structure is wrong. while this probably isn't playing a part in getting the map into visitor it will eventually cause problems when your ready to binarize and put it in arma2

2)your layer config looks fine but in the data folder the .rvmats are pointing to the bi sample map texture, texture="tut\tut_samplemap\Data\sm_grass_detail_nopx.tga";

should be (and this is just based off of your folder structure now) texture ="umut2025\umut2025\data\sm_grass_detail_co.paa

these files need to be saved from photoshop or whatever program you use as a targa file which then can be converted in texview to .paa

I would highly recommend reading bushlurkers guide to microterrains as he goes over the folder structure layout very well and explains it in much detail as its very important. do a search and youll find it.

as far as creating a higher res sat map I guess youd have to use photoshop and create it yourself or get the pro version of l3dt then. it comes with a 90 day free trial(although I would focus on getting the folder structure and everything else situated first)

and please don't spam me with pms. I can see your post here fine thanks :)

ok well another few things.

one you sat and layer mask is only 2048x2048 pixels

that's not going to look nice in game at all with a map size of 12228.(it's going to stretch the sat map so for each pixel it will cover six, so in game it will be 6 meters per pixel) you need to try and make the images at least 12228x12228.

second in visitor under tools you need to set the project preferences. in the data folder texture it should look like this p:\umut2025\umut2025\data\

second in project parameters you need to set the sat grid by clicking the calculator button.

now if you make the sat map 12228 pixels you would type 12228 in the image size(pixels) box

then click apply proposed

then change the texture layer base(active) by clicking on it then clicking edit and change It to 12x12m

then as long as it says valid in the bottom right click ok and your good to go.

if you cant make your mask and sat images 12228 I would recommend starting with a smaller map.

maybe something like 512x512 or 256x256 *5 meter grid cells so you can learn small and then go bigger when you have the hang of it

Edited by M1lkm8n

I know that the res. is low but i wont invest hours before this doesnt work :P

I know the Settings and change them everytime when i run Visitor.

Found my old problem my L3DT crashed 1time and didnt save my settings right so it was a grid size of 1m and not 6m thats why Visitor crashed :butbut:

Now the integration of the Sat, Mask and CFG works but now my Bulldozer crashes (after the texture render process).

It says: rendering command buffer too small

Btw. Bulldozer can only use max. 2047 ram like arma2 ?

I don't know. works fine for me. I downloaded from the link you last provided. set the parameter exactly like I told you. after importing the sat and layer mask (when you run bulldozer It should convert the png files in creates in the data/layers folder to paa files) however mine doesn't anymore so I use pal2pace to convert them. then click the button to run bulldozer and...

im looking at your world now. looks cool however you'll notice those mountains are extremely sharp. you wont be able to climb them(if that matters).

Works for me too now , no crashes with the L3DT Pro edition anymore :butbut:

Bulldozer creats the layer png´s too but it stucks on loading the textures. (Hardware: I5 3570k , 8gb 1666)

Are there any attributes which i must add to the bulldozer launcher to get more performance ?

I dont know how to get the wrp without bulldozer any ideas ?

Btw. do you know a tut for the map config.cpp ?

I will make a tutorial "from scratch till ingame(idiot proof vers.)" for idiots like me if i understand why im getting all this problems :D

With high res png

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/419695/UMT-rar.html

Edited by tehlowness

Yes it creates the pngs but the must be converted to paa file types. So look in you data/layers folder. If they are not converted use pal2pace

Bushlurkers guide to microterrains I think goes over all initial setup and config.

And no disrespect but your getting all these problems because your jumping into a big project before reading any tutorials on what needs to be done first.

It's best to read the tutorials first to get a good understanding of what each component that goes into making a map does. :)

Anyway good luck with the rest my friend.