Sign in to follow this  
ataboo

ataboo's XM-25 Airbursting Grenade Launcher (ATA_xm25)

ataboo's XM-25 Airbursting Grenade Launcher

This is mod brings a functional XM-25 to Arma 3 and a 4 round mag to go with it.

Screenshots:

7VgfZMi.jpg

PEInfdt.jpg

Download Link:

ATA_XM25_0.23.rar (RapidShare)

Readme:

ADDON : ATA_XM25 made by ataboo

Version : 0.23

Release Date: May 18 2013

======================

CONTACT INFORMATION :

======================

ataboo2001@hotmail.com

======================

DESCRIPTION :

======================

Adds the XM-25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System; an air-bursting grenade launcher. The launcher includes scripts that range with the on-board laser and calculate the round drop and adjust the targetting reticle in the scope.

add "null = execVM "\ATA_xm25\scripts\ATA_Hud_Start.sqf";" to an init in mission to make the airburst/scope work.

Center dot is bore to ranging laser.

LCDs above bore dot indicate laser range.

LCD Display on center right indicates burst range.

Display above that shows angle below bore and a star when laser ranging active.

L - toggles laser ranging mode

PgUp - increases burst range

PgDn - decreases burst range

hold SHIFT for coarse range adjustment

Crosshair will adjust with zoom by detecting + - (numpad) keypress.

Hud diagram at: http://imgur.com/Du7ikrh

The Hud/Crosshairs are only accurate when Interface Size is set to Large

==============================

CONTENT/FEATURES/CHANGES/BUGS :

-XM-25 Grenade Launcher with attached scope

-4 Round HEAB (High Explosive Air Burst) Magazine

CHANGELOG/BUGS/KNOWN ISSUES:

-Airbursts with hud settings.

-Using Kaybar animations

-Laser is not it's own acc

-Reticle is stock NLAW

-Hands positioned so face not in stock

-Added scripts to PBO

-Added hudSet vs hudLas lcd displays

-Removed nlaw reticle

-Height calc crosshair works better

-Added res/shadowLODs

-Added round to magazine model

-Fixed C to D problem with geometry LOD

-Improved LCD digit textures

-Added LCD digits for rad/deg indicator

-Added star "laser active" indicator by angle digits

-Added BiKey and released to public

-Added reticle adjust on high zoom

-Adjusted Textures/Materials a bit

-Reduced airburst damage

Things to fix:

-Textures/materials will be improved

-NVG visible IR laser isn't necessarily synced with ranging yet

-Laser ranges to center of object when not over terrain (not as accurate) probably won't change

======================

CLASSNAMES :

======================

ATA_XM25_F - Grenade Rifle with attached scope.

ATA_4Rnd_HE_25mm - 4 round Air Bursting magazine.

======================

INSTALLATION :

======================

The PBO and Sign files in the archive need to be extracted into your ArmA/Addons folder.

However the mod folder method is the better solution.

Copy the following URL into your browser to view a Mod Folder Tutorial : http://tinyurl.com/armamodfolder

add "null = execVM "\ATA_xm25\scripts\ATA_Hud_Start.sqf";" to init in mission to make the airburst/scope work.

Set Interface Size to Large in Video Options

======================

CREDITS AND THANKS :

======================

The well kept wiki and forums.

======================

DISCLAIMER :

======================

I take no responsibility for (im)possible damage to your game/system that may be caused

by installation of this Addon. This Addon is also prohibited to be used in any commercial product.

This readme has been made by using the ArmedAssault.info Readme Generator.

Check ArmedAssault.info to get the latest ArmA news !

UI and crosshairs only line up when Interface Size is set to Large.

Requirements:

Vanilla Arma 3 Alpha

Thanks to the community for the awesome wiki's, tutorials, and these forums. This is my first mod so please be gentle :).

Update 12/29/2014:

A few people have contacted me wanting to update/work with the XM-25 project and sorry again for not checking in sooner.

Here's a DropBox dump of my XM-25 assets and working directories: XM_25_Shared.zip (~122MB)

Anybody's free to use them as long as it stays free.

Sorry that it's a bit of a mess, but it was one of my first projects. Also it was made for the ArmA 3 Alpha (BiTools 2) so could use some updating.

I don't check in on the forums very often (obviously haha) so the best place to reach me with questions is email.

Edited by ataboo
Updated to 0.23
  • Like 1

That is dope. Downloading now, will try it tonight. Looking real good, ataboo.

Nifty! Checking it out this afternoon.

A side note: if this is ostensibly a weapon system in use by the forces depicted in Arma 3, you might consider dropping the "X" (for "experimental") prefix.

Had a quick go with this earlier; very impressed with how it works.

Adding juuust that extra meter or two to get the grenade to airburst behind the wall or corner you've lased is very satisfying.

Is this the one from VBS2 and brought into Arma 3? (by bis)

M25's taken so I don't know how they'll designate the final model yet.

Glad you guys are liking it. Nothing like technology to give a guy a god complex ingame haha. My favourite is sniping those tiny windows and just lighting up dead center inside a building.

Is this the one from VBS2 and brought into Arma 3? (by bis)

It's from scratch with blender/gimp. Zodd's ZSU HEDP Airburst and NWD Rangefinder made good examples to make my airbursting and UI scripts. I've only done the handpos animation and am waiting for a newer binpbo to do my own reloads, etc. Sounds are all stock nade launcher too.

Awesome mod, really funny.

Just two things. It could be good to have a second version of the XM-25 to be used in "Rocket Launcher" slot, this could make player able to have a classic Assault rifle, and be able to switch with the (x)M-25 during the mission and using it as a support weapon.

This was for the idea.

This said, the texture is kind of ... strange, maybe too "new". and the hand position on the foregrip is kind of strange too.

Anyway, your mod is really kwel.

I don't get where i find it in the editor? I did the mod folder thing, but i cant find it.

Edited by cheeseburger

Very nice mid! Remembers me of battlefield 2142.

I made a short test and uploaded it to my twitch channel: http://de.twitch.tv/predator_v2/b/404594789 (unfortunately the vid doesn't run that smooth :/ )

XM-25 in action, although i noticed the crosshair is a bit off the target, especially on longer range engagements. You can already see it on the 350 target in the vid, but it is particularly striking on the 550 range.

May this be a problem with the resolution? I play on 1680x1050 (16:10).

Glad you guys are liking it. Nothing like technology to give a guy a god complex ingame haha. My favourite is sniping those tiny windows and just lighting up dead center inside a building.

It's from scratch with blender/gimp. Zodd's ZSU HEDP Airburst and NWD Rangefinder made good examples to make my airbursting and UI scripts. I've only done the handpos animation and am waiting for a newer binpbo to do my own reloads, etc. Sounds are all stock nade launcher too.

Oh I see, my apologies. :) With all the mods that open up content coming at us quickly and the XM25 being spotted in pictures of early build I didn't know if this was made from scratch or a content unlock :p In this case, top work :D

Awesome mod, really funny.

Just two things. It could be good to have a second version of the XM-25 to be used in "Rocket Launcher" slot, this could make player able to have a classic Assault rifle, and be able to switch with the (x)M-25 during the mission and using it as a support weapon.

This was for the idea.

This said, the texture is kind of ... strange, maybe too "new". and the hand position on the foregrip is kind of strange too.

Anyway, your mod is really kwel.

The Launcher slot is a good idea, I'll put that in the next version for sure. I've been putting off textures but you're right they definitely need work. I'll have to reverse engineer the lens effect on the HAMR/ARCO scope rvmats too and black out the barrel properly. Going to make an animated breach and casings too.

If you mean that the hand being on the grip is weird, that's where the ranging buttons are. If you mean the placement of the hand on the grip is weird I'll have to tweak it some more.

Very nice mid! Remembers me of battlefield 2142.

I made a short test and uploaded it to my twitch channel: http://de.twitch.tv/predator_v2/b/404594789 (unfortunately the vid doesn't run that smooth :/ )

XM-25 in action, although i noticed the crosshair is a bit off the target, especially on longer range engagements. You can already see it on the 350 target in the vid, but it is particularly striking on the 550 range.

May this be a problem with the resolution? I play on 1680x1050 (16:10).

Yah the crosshair is pretty high in your video. You're right, it's gotta be the resolution that's the problem. I'll have to check it out tomorrow but hopefully it's as easy as getResolution and using the ratio. I've been away from home on my laptop with 1366x768 res. There doesn't seem to be much info about how the FOVs stated in the weaponCfg optics tie into the actual ingame fov. Like if it's just the scope shaded limits or the x or y fov. The ratio between the two zoom levels worked as expected though once I got the low power one set right through guess and check.

I don't get where i find it in the editor? I did the mod folder thing, but i cant find it.

sorry if you've heard this before but double check:

-folders should look like "...\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\@ATA_XM25\Addons\PBO in here"

-The Mod should be activated with either "-mod=@ATA_XM25" argument in steam>right click arma3>properties>set launch options

OR

-Activated ingame under Options>Expansions (requires restart)

Then you can add something like:

removeAllWeapons this;
this addMagazines ["ATA_4Rnd_HE_25mm", 6];
this addWeapon "ATA_XM25_F";

to the init of your unit in a mission

Thanks for feedback guys.

Cant seem to get the laser rangefinder/scope to work? [i have included the line in my init.sqf]?

Cant seem to get the laser rangefinder/scope to work? [i have included the line in my init.sqf]?

Hi Brad put this in the initialization field of your soldier - null = execVM "\ATA_xm25\scripts\ATA_Hud_Start.sqf" To use the rangefinder hit L to activate and get the range. Once you've got the range of the target hit L again to fix and then the pg up or pg down to adjust.

Cool mod ataboo - thanks

I figured it out Predator. It isn't the resolution, it's the Options>Video>Interface Size setting in Arma.

Interface Size Comparison

The UI elements only line up when Interface Size is set to Large.

I also took a look at making a secondary slot version and it presents a pile of animation issues. Basically they don't just have a "walk sideways" animation, they have a "walk sideways with pistol in crouch stance" animation for every contingency. It's easy to just classify a weapon as secondary but that seems to call up a lot of things specific to shoulder launched weapons in turn.

Well with the fixed crosshair and the rocketlauncher slot version, there is only one important thing left. The init.sqf/script issue.

Currently you have to initialize the script in the ata-xm25 folder in the init.sqf. Although this is not a real "script" version of the addon,

as you still have to load the addon. This means, that both the server and each client connection have to run the addon and you can't

simply insert a script into your mission. This issue will limit this addon to custom made mission and won't allow an insertion into bigger,

already existing missions (unlike other weapon addons, which you simply load clientside and then equip via virtual ammobox).

Maybe you could just release a small script version with just the necessary scripts for the scope initialization?

Here's everything UnBinarised (disclaimer: don't use it for evil... etc. haha).

I didn't realize virtual ammobox could pull from your local mods. I'll have to look into running scripts locally like that to test it out too, I've only known really done it through the editor.

If it ever makes it, apart from costing $1500 a pop to fire, they had a double feed malfunction in Afghanistan in March, which should have been a fix of removing the mag and cycling the bolt, but the primer on one of the rounds ignited, giving the operator 2nd degree burns, luckily the round didn't go off, but until they find a fix for the issue the XM25 is out of service.

Worth wile noting said rifle had nearly 6,000 rounds put through it without a malfunction before, but this same malfunction and result has happened in the past, so i predict it's out until they find a more stable primer to use.

Luckily, yours didn't burn me :P

Worked rather well, though over long ranges it starts to lose a bit of it's accuracy, vertical wise.

Quick video showing the use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7flL424NBk

(Sorry about the rapid ananotes, it's better than my voice :P)

Worked rather well, though over long ranges it starts to lose a bit of it's accuracy, vertical wise.

Think that's down to the interface size issue mentioned previously. If you set it to 'large' the FCS is pretty damn accurate all the way up to 800m

Anything new?

A fix for the interface size, a "launcher" version or a way to init the scope locally and not on the server/mission?

Did anyone already check if this still works with the beta / full release (currently staged in betas devbuild?) - since this last release was still in alpha time. Had some great fun with it, there.

Did anyone already check if this still works with the beta / full release (currently staged in betas devbuild?) - since this last release was still in alpha time. Had some great fun with it, there.

Hi Elena! Definitely it still works, but as you may know, the reticule only shows up if you´re playing a mission with this code on init.sqf

null = execVM "\ATA_xm25\scripts\ATA_Hud_Start.sqf"; 

Just read a magazine article about MX25 and had the urge to play with it again (and test if it would work in DEV mode)

cheers!

BTW! I´ve noticed that there´s no reload sound nor reload animation =P