Sign in to follow this  
Pomi Git

Private Military Contractors [W.I.P]

That looks awesome. I'm guessing these units will be under the green section?

Also a few vehicles would be nice. SUV, Different color for helicopter or a stripe like the one that was posted here. Beards would be very cool.

Any chance we can get some backpacks as well?

Man, I wish it would be possible to easily swap patches and so in Arma 3. Would be nice to have a preset 'patch' location, where you can add different patches in the gear menu or so. Especially for stuff like Wasteland and so it would be extra cool, because it gives a nice indentifier. Find a box with patches somewhere? Give them around in your squad and tada, a nice way to identify people.

Also a few vehicles would be nice. SUV, Different color for helicopter or a stripe like the one that was posted here. Beards would be very cool.

Any chance we can get some backpacks as well?

Man, I wish it would be possible to easily swap patches and so in Arma 3. Would be nice to have a preset 'patch' location, where you can add different patches in the gear menu or so. Especially for stuff like Wasteland and so it would be extra cool, because it gives a nice indentifier. Find a box with patches somewhere? Give them around in your squad and tada, a nice way to identify people.

All your suggestions sounds great.

Here is some interesting text and pictures "Mad Max" style DIY armour in Iraq

Edited by ziggy76

Sitrep: 11.06.2013

INFO: Mod on hold, some texture rework, new features

PRECEDENCE: Flash

SITUATION

It's been a few weeks since I provided any real update on progress so I wanted to let people know where things were at. After some deliberation (and perhaps a bit of procrastination) I've decided to delay a first release until after the beta goes live. This is primarily because the beta will introduce new uniforms, vests, helmets and weapons which I hope to integrate into my mod. On the weapon front, originally I planned to release the mod using community made weapons such as the fantastic HAFM M4 rifle and Christian.1987 MP7, I may still do this but I want to see whats added in the beta first. As much as possible I want to reduce the need for people to download other mods in order to use mine. Either way ill ensure there's a dependency free option.

I've used the extra time to rework some of the textures. In particular I've sharpened up the combat Uniform textures both in terms of accurate color representation and in terms of fabric detail. I will eventually release it as a template for others to use, though I must warn it wont be for beginners as it includes many layers and layer settings inc masks. I have the template set up so I can basically create any combination of shirt, pants, boots and glove colour. As a result of this work I have been able to create 14 different variants of the uniform. One feature im working on that im particularly excited about, instead of creating 14 different units (or 28 if you include rolled sleeves vs long sleeve) I've set it up so each unit using the combat uniform will randomly select one of the 14 texture variants. So far its working well though I need to test MP compatibility.

On a final note, I have created a new texture for the MH-9 based on the one PurePassion posted. Ill post a picture later.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments so far. Keep them coming.

Pomigit Out

P.S re the faction side. I currently have them as Independent though I'm considering moving them to BLUFOR.

P.S re the faction side. I currently have them as Independent though I'm considering moving them to BLUFOR.

As a suggestion, could make them available for all factions? That way mission makers can choose which side they can be used on and will offer more diverse usability.

Sitrep: 11.06.2013

imho it would be better to supply at least blufor and independent side with the units. It wouldn't be much work anyway as only the "side" value is changing.

@pomigit:

However while creating my PMC units and armed civilians for independent sides I noticed an issue with the uniforms. It seems like the uniform classes are not applied to indepedent side units yet. The uniform simply won't appear in the inventory though it is included in the config.

Sorry, but I think that is not good idea, because in real life PMC/PSC cooperate with Bluefor (good guys),they are on same side. For example in Iraq and Afghanistan they are on same side with coalition forces, and Taliban's/Insurgents are Opfor ( bad guys). So they must be independent or Bluefor. If you though on Mercenaries, they are different story, mercenaries can be what ever you want ( Bluefor, Opfor, Indenpendent), but PMC/PSC can't.

Here is on more interesting documentary from 2008 about Private Security Industry.

Edited by ziggy76

Legislator;2412546']while creating my PMC units and armed civilians for independent sides I noticed an issue with the uniforms. It seems like the uniform classes are not applied to indepedent side units yet. The uniform simply won't appear in the inventory though it is included in the config.

To be honest I've not had any such issues at all. My PMC units work perfectly under Independent side and uniforms show up fine in the inventory. The only bug I did find is if a BLUFOR unit tries to take an independent uniform from a corpse it will duplicate the uniform as opposed to remove it.

As a suggestion' date=' could make them available for all factions? That way mission makers can choose which side they can be used on and will offer more diverse usability.[/quote']
Sorry, but I think that is not good idea, because in real life PMC/PSC cooperate with Bluefor (good guys),they are on same side.

Yeah I tend to agree with ziggy76 on this (from a realism perspective) but perhaps its better to leave them as independent given its easy for mission makers to change the allegiance of independent side via mission setup. I certainly don't fancy having to duplicate all my units across 3 sides.

If you though on Mercenaries, they are different story, mercenaries can be what ever you want ( Bluefor, Opfor, Indenpendent), but PMC/PSC can't.

Remind me of the difference between a Private Military Contractor and a mercenary? ;) From my research (and even in that doco I might add) PMC is just a more politically correct word for merc.

you sir are a genius.

I always thought that arma3 with its modularity would be an ideal playground for pmcs! And the idea of having them wear random clothes is just awesome. exactly what BI did with their pmc expansion. which reminds me...why didn't you simply stick with 'ION' ? although the new logo looks very nice too :) good luck with this project!

Remind me of the difference between a Private Military Contractor and a mercenary?

That's the problem because people didn't see huge difference between Mercenary and PMC/PSC.

Mercenaries fighting wars for money,for awards, for anybody who hire them, they are offensive and they don't care who is good and who is bad guy. They can fork for anybody, for drog cartels, for terrorists groups, for one person who hired them.....etc.

PMC/PSC working under governments rules, supporting coalition military forces, protecting supplies, peoples, buildings.....etc, and they are defensive forces, they have SOP, RUF, they only engaging following procedures and if anything happened, they going under investigation. So if you as PMC didn't respect and follow the rules, you going to jail ;-)

you sir are a genius.

Well I wouldnt go that far but thanks :)

why didn't you simply stick with 'ION' ?

Because I wanted this mod to be standalone :D

On another note, as promised here is a sneak peak of my PMC MH-9

wIuDOXJ.jpg

that looks awesome. whats the weapon on the right guy?

Edited by ltsThomas

That's the problem because people didn't see huge difference between Mercenary and PMC/PSC.

Mercenaries fighting wars for money,for awards, for anybody who hire them, they are offensive and they don't care who is good and who is bad guy. They can fork for anybody, for drog cartels, for terrorists groups, for one person who hired them.....etc.

PMC/PSC working under governments rules, supporting coalition military forces, protecting supplies, peoples, buildings.....etc, and they are defensive forces, they have SOP, RUF, they only engaging following procedures and if anything happened, they going under investigation. So if you as PMC didn't respect and follow the rules, you going to jail ;-)

A PMC is a company, and anybody who works for them is a mercenary. If the merc working for the PMC (C for Company, in this case) doesn´t respect the rules, he gets fired, and the company brushes things under the rug because bad press is bad. But a PMC still is an organized band of what are technically armed civilians, selling their combat services to the highest bidder. Just because the align themselves with a particular ideology or politics and obey certain rules to get paid, doesn´t make them any less mercenaries.

I like the grey zone they operate in from an inspirational POV.

Damnit, Pomigit.

This waiting is so painfull :p

A PMC is a company, and anybody who works for them is a mercenary. If the merc working for the PMC (C for Company, in this case) doesn´t respect the rules, he gets fired, and the company brushes things under the rug because bad press is bad. But a PMC still is an organized band of what are technically armed civilians, selling their combat services to the highest bidder. Just because the align themselves with a particular ideology or politics and obey certain rules to get paid, doesn´t make them any less mercenaries.

First of all PMC is not a company, PMC is shortcut for Private Military Companies or Contractor-s, PSC mean Private Security Companies or Contractor-s. If you working for example for Microsoft, and you doesn´t respect the rules, you gets fired, is it true? Also everybody who working for money, and get paid for his work, that's mean he is mercenary?

Second thing, how you can said that PMC are organized band, respectfully but you don't know what you talking, you don't know nothing about PMC, Mercenaries....etc. Anybody who working in this industry must be clear, that's mean no criminal records, some companies requesting high level of security clearances so please find me anybody in any bands without criminal record? All PMC personal are ex military or police members and experienced guys, professionals. Please, first think before you talking about something like this ;-)

Edited by ziggy76

First of all PMC is not a company, PMC is shortcut for Private Military Companies or Contractor-s, PSC mean Private Security Companies or Contractor-s. If you working for example for Microsoft, and you doesn´t respect the rules, you gets fired, is it true? Also everybody who working for money, and get paid for his work, that's mean he is mercenary?

Second thing, how you can said that PMC are organized band, respectfully but you don't know what you talking, you don't know nothing about PMC, Mercenaries....etc. Anybody who working in this industry must be clear, that's mean no criminal records, some companies requesting high level of security clearances so please find me anybody in any bands without criminal record? All PMC personal are ex military or police members and experienced guys, professionals. Please, first think before you talking about something like this ;-)

I am like a 9 volt battery tossed into a pile of steel wool. Slightly inflammatory.

PMC has company in it. PSC is just an euphemism, ultimately. And, if I say they are organized, some of them seem to be rather the opposite (re Edinburgh Risk PMCs ambushed in Iraq, the AAR and Analysis is available online.).

The Idea about PMCs is exactly that they are not clean, nice and straight. As far as stories go, a band of ragtag washouts selling their desire to do violence (and/or earn large amounts of cash for pretending to be violent, carrying around guns and sporting (plate-less) high speed vests around unimportant UN personell in some african backwater) in the name of somebody who has money, but doesn´t want to put in the investment of bringing in the regulars, drinking all night and riding around trucks all day smoking and holding off Cars by shooting the asphalt in front of them is much more fascinating. Again, this is derived from AAR's I could get my hands on, not so much TV documentaries.

PMCs (Or PSCs, if you want to be PC) are shady. That is why they are interesting.

Because I wanted this mod to be standalone

AH! It all makes sense now! :D

that helo is looking mighty fine btw. BI should hurry up and get that beta out, I can't wait to wreck some havoc with these guys :)

That is why they are interesting.
couldn't agree more mr.InstaGoat, with your whole post actualy, but this part is to true!

PMC has company in it. PSC is just an euphemism, ultimately. And, if I say they are organized, some of them seem to be rather the opposite (re Edinburgh Risk PMCs ambushed in Iraq, the AAR and Analysis is available online.).

The Idea about PMCs is exactly that they are not clean, nice and straight. As far as stories go, a band of ragtag washouts selling their desire to do violence (and/or earn large amounts of cash for pretending to be violent, carrying around guns and sporting (plate-less) high speed vests around unimportant UN personell in some african backwater) in the name of somebody who has money, but doesn´t want to put in the investment of bringing in the regulars, drinking all night and riding around trucks all day smoking and holding off Cars by shooting the asphalt in front of them is much more fascinating. Again, this is derived from AAR's I could get my hands on, not so much TV documentaries. PMCs (Or PSCs, if you want to be PC) are shady. That is why they are interesting.

Do you know personally any PMC/PSC, did you talk with any of them, or all you knowledge about that coming from media, youtube, internet....etc? All you opinion about PMC coming from beginning the Private Security Industry, I mean PMC in Iraq in period 2004-2005. From that time, things is change dramatically. That's true, in the beginning they was like "Cowboys", but as everything else, PMC's today looks much professionally, with standards operational procedures, they have uniform policy, Rules for the use of force,....etc. I will upload some more interesting documentaries, you will see that your opinion is wrong ;-). Do not mix together PMC with Mercenaries, they are two different worlds. Only thing what connect them is their business tools"weapons" ;-) . Sorry for my English, because is not my first language.

Edited by ziggy76

Oh man... beta, I guess I can wait a few more weeks. :)

At the PMC discussion... lol. They all claim morality and high brow standards but at the end of the day their job is to get the job done.

whats the weapon on the right guy?

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Its the fictional HK430 (based on the HK416) released by g00d69. Not sure if ill be using it with the mod yet but I like it.

Good job :) cant wait to try them out, i think they fit perfect in to arma 3 and the story behind it :)

Decided to do an MX retexture for this mod. Im finding the reflections on the MX a little too intense which is washing out the colours. Having problems trying to change the properties to reduce it.

Thoughts?

MPKntM1.jpg