Sign in to follow this  
Pomi Git

Private Military Contractors [W.I.P]

I've been away on holiday since I posted this thread so sorry for the slow reply. Cheers for all the feedback and suggestions. It's given me a bit to think about. Below I've tried to respond to comments as best I can:

1. What is my road map?

Quite loose. I plan to enhance and change it as more content is added to the game. I aim to create something that stands a part from the many camo retexture mods being done. Nothing against those I just want something that's unique. Plus I figure with all the customisation options now possible with ARMA 3 there's less need for BI to release a PMC expansion. Maybe they will but I'm hoping this mod will fill the void until it is. On that note I've basically used the A2OA PMC as a starting reference. Plus I did a lot of research online for real life visual references. I want them to look real but also cool so I'm using creative licence where I think it's a benefit to the mod

2. beards as part of hats?

Firstly I have no 3d modelling skills, sounds like the kind of thing Kiory would create though :D. Having said that the game includes a number bearded heads/faces. I'm not sure if its possible to restrict the units to use certain heads/faces beyond using setface in the units init. Anyone know? What I have tried to do in the config is make the units use all NATO,European, Persian and Greek heads. From the limited testing I've done, I'm not sure if its working as I mostly see NATO heads

3. How about Helicopter logos?

I'm not really keen on putting a PMC logo on any vehicle, I think that's a bit tacky. The sample image PurePassion put a link to doesn't have a logo but the stripes and colour is what I was thinking about. Not sure yet. I'll look at it for a later release. I'll stick with the plain black for now.

4. Bodyguards with leg holster

The current vest options with the leg holsters I feel look a bit bulky on the bodyguards. I played around with a few options and felt the tactical vest looked best. If BI later add more vest options ill definitely consider changing

5. More Jeans and T-shirt units

There's definitely room for this. In comparison to the A2OA PMC there's a few more units I can add such as AT, AA, long range sniper. What colours do people want? I can do the jeans and t-shirt in pretty much any colour.

6. Get rid of the plaid/check shirts?

No way, I cant believe some people don't like them, these are actually my favourite. In my research I found a couple of photos of PMC wearing check patterned tops which I used as a visual reference. At the moment I'm using the rolled up sleeves version of the BLUFOR uniform but if better uniform options are added in the future I may change this. Again keep in mind that this mod will evolve and change with the game as more content is added.

7. Add more camo pant options

In pretty much all the photos I found of PMC they either wore tan, black or ranger green pants, which is why I've gone with those plain colours for the most part. You will note i added one unit with UCP. Also I think not using camo patterns distinguishes them more from a government military. If there is a strong consensus that the mod will be better with more camo options ill add 1 or 2 more camo options max.

8. Can I make black t-shirt with multicam pants?

This was raised by scorch052. If you mean the BLUFOR unit with t-shirt. if the model is anything like the t-shirt with jeans model I should be able to do that easily with only config and no texturing required since both are available in game. I'd have to look at whether I think suits the mod and as mentioned above I don't want to go crazy adding camo pants

9. Can I do full black uniform?

I could but its a bit too spec ops for my liking. I don't think it fits in with this mod

10. Logos on gear, to be or not to be?

I can see there's been some debate on this. My current line of thinking is that I'll scrap blackwater but I'd still like to include some sort of branding on some of the gear just to make it unique. Perhaps something a bit more subtle. The new blackwater company ACADEMI has a pretty simple logo. I could go with that or try come up with something myself. At the end of the day not all gear has it anyway. And I might even scale it back on the hats.

I Will aim to release a first early version in the next few weeks. In the mean time keep the feedback coming and give me your thoughts on my responses.

Cheers again

Wow, nice work man!

On closer inspection, I've noticed those checkered shirts which I liked so much are re-skinned! Not sure if that's good texturing or what, but I would love it if they were different models instead of clear reskins!!

Edited by Assifuah

I would love it if they were different models instead of clear reskins!!

Me too but as i say i have no 3d modeling skills. Unless someone can create me a model i can only use what's available in game

The rangemaster character was released in the latest patch.

That model has a regular pants+shirt. No fancy kneepads and such, if you want a more regular look.

He uses the texture "characters_f\Civil\Data\c_poloshirtpants_1_co.paa"

-nvm, the bodyguard might already be using it :p

Edited by AlexVestin

The rangemaster character was released in the latest patch.

That model has a regular pants+shirt. No fancy kneepads and such, if you want a more regular look.

He uses the texture "characters_f\Civil\Data\c_poloshirtpants_1_co.paa"

-nvm, the bodyguard might already be using it :p

Have a look at my unit and gear unlocked mod (link in my signature), you'll see I unlocked the rangemaster model a while back. And yes this what the bodyguards are using :)

No, my justification is that his units should be sterile as default, but he can have the hat available if mission makers want to use it. His addon is called Private Military Contractors, not Blackwater USA. I'm pretty confident that most guys who will be using his addon would prefer that the Blackwater hats not be with the default units, but would be fine if the hat is available for use by assigning it to a specific unit in the editor or config.

That is exactly what I was saying...

You mad bro?

Wearing logo's overseas make you a target.

Take your trolling and immaturity elsewhere.

Its not trolling, or immaturity. However the purpose of the post which seems to be lost on you was this, having logos on units that represent real companies when that company does not wear those logos or has since changed this name is not an accurate representation. Your response to this was that m"maybe I want the logo" well its not just about what you want. This forum is for discussion, his units and add-on so allow him to tell someone that he wants to keep them but for you to fly off the handle because someone made a suggestion for something to be realistic is actually the immature statement. Next time if im out of line a MOD will kindly warn me and send me a private message explaining as they have done in the past. You are not a mod you do not own this forum so where I make my statements is not up to you, have a nice day.

Its not trolling, or immaturity. However the purpose of the post which seems to be lost on you was this, having logos on units that represent real companies when that company does not wear those logos or has since changed this name is not an accurate representation. Your response to this was that m"maybe I want the logo" well its not just about what you want. This forum is for discussion, his units and add-on so allow him to tell someone that he wants to keep them but for you to fly off the handle because someone made a suggestion for something to be realistic is actually the immature statement. Next time if im out of line a MOD will kindly warn me and send me a private message explaining as they have done in the past. You are not a mod you do not own this forum so where I make my statements is not up to you, have a nice day.

You've actually hit the nail on the head. As I've said already I only put logos on the gear just for for a bit of branding, I didn't really think too much about realistic representation of the real life blackwater company (which as we know is now called ACADEMI). I should point out that at least some PMC do wear branded gear. Have a look at the website for the PMC Triple Canopy link here. There's various photos of contractors with branded hats and vests.

I think its valid for there to be branding on some units. But the real question is whether this mod should be tied to a specific real life PMC. Just to throw it out there, what do people think of going with a fictional PMC? Same as what BIS did with A2OA PMC? That relieves me of any "pressures" (i say that loosely) to present a real life PMC accurately and provides freedom to basically put whatever gear and branding i see fit on the units (which is basically what I've done anyway) :confused:

And guys please keep the responses respectful, everyone's got a right to an opinion and I value all input :)

Edited by pomigit

I would prefer no branding at all, but if you were to use brands, fictional ones would be best. Gives you some more creative freedom and such.

Also, if you don't put logos or anything, it allows the units to be used for any kind of scenario rather than for PMC scenarios only, you know?

Like, maybe I'm a US Army soldier and I feel like wearing a plaid shirt today. Maybe in the future, the military has dress-down days or something, okay? You don't know what kind of clothing regulations the military will have in the future.

Maybe I'm going into a red plaid tree forest and need proper red plaid camouflage.

There are just endless possibilities for why a non-PMC unit would wear PMC-type clothing.

Edited by Outlawled

While I see there is a debate about the branding - this is how I see it. You've already done it from the pics, so leave what you have. If someone wants to use it, they will, if not, they won't. There are plenty of story reasons that a PMC would or would not have their symbols on... like just hanging out at base when they get attacked, maybe you are talking to a range master or higher up in the company trying to make a deal. It's your mod man, just make what you enjoy. :)

Maybe I'm going into a red plaid tree forest and need proper red plaid camouflage

Ha ha, good point! :p

It's your mod man, just make what you enjoy. :)

Absolutely mate, couldn't agree more, but I wanted peoples input and I enjoy the debate. Blackwater was just a bit of a placeholder until I decided what I wanted to do. The input I've had has helped me decide to go with a fictional PMC.

Here's the logo I came up with for my fictional PMC called "PG Services". Pretty basic but does the job and looks alright on hats.

xzOUAks.png

First release coming very very soon :)

Edited by pomigit

What about having a couple of various PMC branded items, maybe including tex's of the logos and allowing others to add it on themselves? Although, thinking about it I appreciate that is a lot of work for a single mod. In any case I think having at least as default the PMC as generic, then your Triple Canopy/ACADEMI/Blackwater logos and recognition patches on as an optional extra. It allows for greater flexibility, keeps more people happy, diversifies the content slightly and makes it appeal and stand out above the rest, for (I should imagine) a small bit of work.

Just my 2p,

Regards, Comp_uter15776

Maybe in the future, the military has dress-down days or something, okay? You don't know what kind of clothing regulations the military will have in the future.

-"Johnson, get your effing uniform and flak on now!"

-"But Sarge, it's casual Friday."

@pomigit:

Your units look great! Can't wait to see them in action. I'm creating PMC units myself, but I'll stick to Ion Inc.

How did you set up the woolhat? I'm currently trying this with the 3D modell which is included in the ArmA 3 Alpha, but the hat stays invisible ingame.

Legislator;2407316']@pomigit:

Your units look great! Can't wait to see them in action. I'm creating PMC units myself' date=' but I'll stick to Ion Inc.

How did you set up the woolhat? I'm currently trying this with the 3D modell which is included in the ArmA 3 Alpha, but the hat stays invisible ingame.[/quote']

hey cheers. I config'd the watch cap/woolhat for my units unlocked mod. Feel free to open my config and see how i did it. From memory it might be to do with iteminfo and what parent class you are referencing. I think I used itemcore. PM if you need further help with it.

Hi there,

that's a good info. I tried HelmetH but I will try itemcore later on.

Are you going to equip your units with the default A3 weapons or custom weapons? I'm going to use the R3F mod for my units. I can really recommend it.

Pomigit,

Any possibilities to convert this for ARMA II ? I'd use them for my clan, they're very nice addons!

Awesome units pomigit ! :)

Here you can find some interesting stuff for reference, enjoy ;-)

http://youtu.be/chhBLHFBUe0

Also if you join to this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BlackwaterPrivateMilitaryCompany, you can find some interesting photos, I posted some of them.

Later I will upload some interesting documentaries on my youtube page, hope so you will enjoy to watch them.

Edited by ziggy76

You got great looking units there pomigit. Awesome textures, as usual. ;)

Legislator;2407567']Hi there' date='

Are you going to equip your units with the default A3 weapons or custom weapons? I'm going to use the R3F mod for my units. I can really recommend it.[/quote']

Originally I planned on releasing using custom weapons made by the community and then later swapping for vanilla weapons as more are added. At the moment im holding back releasing until after Beta to see whats added.

Pomigit,

Any possibilities to convert this for ARMA II ? I'd use them for my clan, they're very nice addons!

I cant see how this would be possible since im using ARMA 3 models.

Here you can find some interesting stuff for reference, enjoy ;-)

Thanks for the links. i watched the documentary today. Great doco and very insightful into the history of PMC's. Highly recommend others to watch.

How will they be integrated? Like a new faction (red, blue, pmc)?

I'm really looking forward to the release. They look really awesome. :)