Sign in to follow this  
m1lkm8n

Just a few questions regarding weight

Hey guys

So as I'm waiting for the new visitor I figured I might as well start creating the objects I'm going to need for my island.

Anyway I've been working one a huge suspension bridge (yes I know the size limitations it's being broken down into segments). My question is how would you apply the weight to this structure? Would you select the whole thing and let oxygen disperse the weight throughout? And how much does the weight system come into play here? Would it be able to be pushed around if you didn't specify a high enough weight?

Also if any of you senior modders have a spare second and wouldn't mind taking a quick peek I'd love to get an opinion just to make sure I'm not creating a giant turd here as this is my first big undertaking. Lol. I can pm a link to the Dropbox file.

I'm done the structure itself and am now working on the rest of the lods.

Although probably far from the best to help with all this seeing as I very rarely deal with the mass of objects I'll hopefully give a rough idea at least.

My question is how would you apply the weight to this structure?

In terms of the physical way it's done in O2, there'll be a small "mass" box (normally in the bottom left) that will allow you to enter the weight of your object.

mass.jpg

IIRC you can only enter a number into the mass box from within the geometry LOD, might be wrong though. Also, I've always assumed the number was representative of Kilograms but I can't actually back that up.

Would you select the whole thing and let oxygen disperse the weight throughout?

Doing that will make oxygen just find the centre of mass amongst all the selected points. So as an example, if a square was selected, it would place the centre of mass in the middle, between the four corners. You might want to make say, the main construction of the bridge weigh more than the road across or the suspension lines. To be honest though,I have no clue how that would affect the thing in game.

Would it be able to be pushed around if you didn't specify a high enough weight?

I can only speak in terms of infantry modelling but I have found with very low weight the bodies would slide along the floor if a grenade went of next to them.

Thanks stalkergb

I know how to apply the mass it's that second part that I wasn't sure about. I'll probably go through and apply the weight that way making the struts and main supports weight more. Thanks again!

If the object is immobile I don't think it matters what the weight distribution is. I think the weight distribution helps define the handling for cars and aircraft, and how things tumble when flung. For something like a bridge that will never be moving, I don't think it matters.

If the object is immobile I don't think it matters what the weight distribution is. I think the weight distribution helps define the handling for cars and aircraft, and how things tumble when flung. For something like a bridge that will never be moving, I don't think it matters.

Ahhh great! That makes sense. Well then ill continue on and it should looks pretty sweet when finished. Thanks again guys