Sign in to follow this  
super-truite

3ds max and reverse faces in O2

I export my model from 3ds max 2013 to O2 in .3ds format. It works well except that some faces are reversed and then show up with inverted textures in game or in bulldozer.

You can reverse them in O2 by selecting them and pressing W, but for some complex 3D models, it can be pretty annoying... Do someone has a trick to export from 3ds without issues?

(I tried the Arma2 plugin, but I have a bunch of issues when I export and I never get a .p3d in the end)

We had a similar problem with Blender, I think it was because the model being exported was not converted into 'triangles'. Which results in O2 making a guess as to which was it was supposed to face? I could be wrong, but it's worth a look!

I tend to find my models are mirrored along the X-axis when importing from Maya as .obj or .3ds, so just doing \Points\Transform 2d\Mirror X sorts out all the reversed faces while most if not all the ones that were facing the right way, remain the right way.

Are your models doing that, or is it purely some random faces reversing? (can be difficult to tell unless your model is asymmetric about the X-axis)

I sometimes need to invert one of the channels in the normal map too (blue IIRC), but that isn't uncommon when importing between different 3D programs.

Thanks for the help. Exporting as .obj, the faces which were inverted are not anymore, but some others got messed up :( . I didn't manage to install the plugin ( VM_s-P3D_Export.mcr). After running the script, I don't find anything in the customize interface menu? How is the command called?

@da12thMonkey, I don't think there is a clear pattern, it looks random to me.

I export my model from 3ds max 2013 to O2 in .3ds format. It works well except that some faces are reversed and then show up with inverted textures in game or in bulldozer.

You can reverse them in O2 by selecting them and pressing W, but for some complex 3D models, it can be pretty annoying... Do someone has a trick to export from 3ds without issues?

(I tried the Arma2 plugin, but I have a bunch of issues when I export and I never get a .p3d in the end)

1. export as .obj not .3ds. Much better control on the exported mesh

2. before export, reset Xform

3. have a visual check of the model inverted face by turning on backface cull.

Ok, it's working. reseting Xform did the job and I learned something. thank you guys.