Sign in to follow this  
redryder

M-1 Garand Government Issue by RedRyder

What are the classnames for the gun and the ammo? Couldn't find them in an existing or new weapon box (having started the game with the mod enabled).

Otherwise, vanilla A3 really needs more gun variety. Except the latest heavy sniper rifles, all current Alpha weapons are more or less the same.

tb_arifle_m1garand is the class name of the rifle. The ammuniton is as follows: Ball ammunition: tb_8Rnd_762x63_B_Enbloc. Tracer ammunition: tb_8Rnd_762x63_B_Enbloc.

Made all new sounds for it. I'm a professional sound artist and frequently compete in long range rifle matches with my M1. So I had some good equipment to record with. Problem is I can't test it in game. Can't spawn the damn thing. Can anyone help?

Tried using the Virtual Ammo Box and the M1 did not show up there either.

It optimistically will work in virtual ammo box. If it will not, just simply add it in by placing the proper remove commands and add commands with the above class names in the init section of the unit you are placing.

As for the sounds, they are a bit more complex than cut and paste. You may pm me with the sounds if you like, and I will see about putting them in.

As of now, im working on a "New" model.

Found out what the problem was. @M1Garand is within another @M1Garand folder. It's packaged that way so when someone slaps it into their arma 3 folder it won't work. Testing out my sounds now.

---------- Post added at 04:26 ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 ----------

Size seems slightly off. Perhaps base the receiver more closely off of the EBR as the receiver sizes were quite similair, if not a little shorter (the EBR). Attached a pic to illustrate this. My edited sounds seem to be working well, I'll send them to you soon as I can.

http://i43.tinypic.com/anoio3.png (593 kB)

Another example comparing the EBR and M1, just to compare receivers, ignoring barrel length obviously.

http://i42.tinypic.com/34s2u55.png (612 kB)

Edited by theplato

Updated to version 1.4

@theplato, Yes, it was a little large, I admit, I have been more worried about functionality than looks at that time period, I have made it slightly smaller though. However, it is larger than the EBR because it is larger than the EBR. The EBR is technically the same thing as the Mk. 14 EBR. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_EBR vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_garand The Mk. 14 is 35 inches long with an 18 inch barrel. The M1 Garand is 43 inches long, with a 24 inch barrel. Also, the reciever size is not exactly an accurate way to determine length, considering that the M1 design is seventy years old, that the M14/Mk. 14 EBR was originally designed to be fully automatic, and there is also the fact that the M14 was designed 20 some years after the M1. While it is based off the M1, it is not entirely the same. It is also difficult to compare the two when it is impossible to measure the EBR in game, however, you can measure the unbinarized model of the M-1. The M-1 happens to be 1,126mm long, or 1.126m. This would be about 1.126 "square lengths", as I call them, in O2. In the recent update, I have tried to get them around 1.2m, and, it does appear that I have. Without the bayonet, the rifle is just above the player's waist, and that should be about 1m.

At any rate, I have added in the new sounds, some errors with the reloading sounds though. I have also adjusted the reload time, though it seems a little fast. There does appear to be a problem with the config file for the old M1, I had removed the closure sounds from both the config and the directory, but the config is reporting that it can not be found. I will fix it when I have the time tommorow though. I am still having problems unwrapping the model for uv mapping, even 3Ds max is having trouble unwrapping it. At the moment, Im still using gizmo mapping.

Yes, there is a hole in the stock, I figured that, hey, its 2035, and this should probably be lightweight.... well... I think I may remove that hole.

RedRyder;2408064]tb_arifle_m1garand is the class name of the rifle. The ammuniton is as follows: Ball ammunition: tb_8Rnd_762x63_B_Enbloc. Tracer ammunition: tb_8Rnd_762x63_B_Enbloc.

Tracer and Ball have the same classname? maybe you should change tracers to tb_8Rnd_762x63_T_Enbloc

It would be "Garand" if you could put this in its own personal ammo box for the editor? :)

Tracer and Ball have the same classname? maybe you should change tracers to tb_8Rnd_762x63_T_Enbloc

Tracer is tb_8rnd_762x63_T_Enbloc... it always has been.

I will eventually add it to an ammobox, but virtual ammo box works fine with it atm.

Edit: It is tb_8rnd_762x45_T_Enbloc, not entirely sure why I did that.

Edited by RedRyder

Tracer is tb_8rnd_762x63_T_Enbloc... it always has been.

I will eventually add it to an ammobox, but virtual ammo box works fine with it atm.

Edit: It is tb_8rnd_762x45_T_Enbloc, not entirely sure why I did that.

Could you add it to an ammobox as not everyone uses the virtual ammo box addon.

Just added it in.

25 of each weapon, 50 total, with 5 of each attachment, and 200 of each ammo type.

Fixed laser, I had originally fixed it days ago, but forgot to pbo it.

I'd like to texture the weapon if i could, send me a PM or email me at deflex1[at]hotmail[dot]com

I'd like to texture your M1 Garand. If you'd like my help id be happy to give it.

First off i want to say THANK YOU!!!! I love the M1 with a passion In games and in Real life, it and the 1911 have to be my two favorite guns, its an awesome mod for Arma3 i just plugged about 50 bad guys with the NM version, LOVE the scout optics rail. I just wanted to let you know i had a texture glitch, the gas rod top cover right in front of the rail is white, the rest of the gun is like a matte gunmetal color but that part isnt loading, or it isnt recognized by the game as textured. hope that helps for future versions, I would love to see a M1d with the m84, and maybe a version that accepts the FHQ accessories pack would be sweet as well.

the sounds are decent, the "ping" is very good but the gunshot itself seems kinda anemic. I know its hard to get real good sounds, and it sounds like you just used the EBR sound from the game, but as far as factory sounds go, that one has to be the worst. but thats on BI, I know its an alpha version and there is alot to come, and alot to be polished, but its the truth that EBR sounds like crap.

Im looking forward to new versions of the M1 and maybe some more M14's I do have one super special, you can have my sister if you pull it off request. PLEASE MAKE AN AIMPOINT THAT LOOKS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! All of the versions ive seen are crap. first off the FOV through all the ones for Arma 3 are WAY to small its like looking through a toilet paper roll with a mini doughnut shoved in it, and second you shoot it with both eyes open IRL, so most of it should be a translucent grey, all that should be solid is the brightness switch the top and right side windage and elevation adjustments and the scope cap (if flipped up) and depending on the model the battery compartment, but since most are inline with the switch dont worry about it, Basically if you were able to take the ACO and add the switch and adjustment caps to it it would be right, of course removing the 65 moa outer ring, and just having a dot. The Arma 2 Aimpoint is pretty darn good, look at the M4 CCO and use that as a baseline just make the dot alot finer. and to get an idea what it feels like to shoot through an aimpoint, make an O with yout right hand and put it in front of your right eye with both eyes open, your brain will compensate and transpose the image your left eye sees "under" your hand and all that will be "solid" looking will be your knuckles, the rest will be "see through" and that is excactly what an aimpoint does. if that detail is too tricky please if you can just open up the FOV on an existing model to give it a very thin outer ring like the ACO and a real fine dot. Im done rambling now, thanks for the M1 and thanks in advance for any future work

@LJGibbs- Thanks! The part that isnt loading... well, im not entirely sure what is wrong, no matter what texture I apply, it is still lighter than the other parts... I may take some time to make rvmats for it.. I think it has something to do with that. I would love to UV unwrap it so I can atleast have a good go at getting rid of the imperfections that gizmo has, but no matter what program I use, it just simply does not unwrap properly. I did though, just read about a very powerful unwrapper, Im hoping that once I get it installed, that it would actually unwrap this damned nightmare. Hopefully, with that and the rvmat files, I can get rid of glitches/imperfections like that, until then, it is what it is. For the sounds though, I wanted other people's opinion, and frankly, the old gunshot sound was pretty grainy. I will look into boosting the bass and the gain of the new one, though.

@d0kefish- Thanks for your offer, but Id rather texture it myself.

Are there still plans to finish the texturing on this? I would be happy to provide detailed pictures (if you don't already have access to an M1) or other assistance to this - I really look forward to seeing this as its full potential. Great work so far!

would love to assign this to myself and some AI squad mates and deal with some OPFOR old school but there are a couple problems with that.

1) the missing texture is killing my eyes (not a big deal)

2) ammo weighs too much (same as a 30 round magazine, should weigh less if possible) (a bit annoying)

3) i can't find the class name in your documentation anywhere........(I might just be missing it)

BTW....the firing sound is fine in my book, sounds exactly like it should, so keep it as close to that as possible. if anything the ping should be duller, it's a bit too high pitched and clean like a tuning fork, it actually sounds a bit like someone dropping a piece of metal on cement.

P.S. as for the reload, this missing clip on the last shot is not as big of a deal as the reload animation, which should be done first after you get your texture problem sorted out, it should be 2/3rds what it is now, as the "magazine" doesn't have to be "removed".

Edited by DuoBlackrose

A thirty-round mag of what though? That makes a difference in describing the issue...

A thirty-round mag of what though? That makes a difference in describing the issue...

of pretty much anything, i can only hold 12 clips in my plate carrier. should be, at minimum, double that.

Edited by DuoBlackrose