Sign in to follow this  
redryder

M-1 Garand Government Issue by RedRyder

Hello ladies and gents,

This is a little somethin I have been working on for the past several weeks. Yes, you read right, an M-1 Garand... my big pain in the ---, lol.

Nah, really just kidding. Making this weapon has been more fun than pluggin squirrels out of the bird feeder with a BB gun.

Now to the important stuff.

Im not sure if there are glitches or errors, I have yet to see any with version 1.40

Also, A big thanks to Zach Gibson for his tutorial and the files within. If you are a prospective modder, please visit this fine tutorial by Zach: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20601

List of things I used and that helped me out a lot are in the ReadMe contained within.

*******************Changelog*******************

ALPHA-

V-1.0: Initial release!!!

V-1.1: Added new textures, new sounds. Fixed sights in Pilot View to be more accurate. Hoping on getting actual recordings from the M-1 rather than synthetic substitutes, but they will do for now.

V-1.2: Fixed Crash to Desktop in multiplayer. Modified textures. 8 round "Enbloc" clip.

V-1.3: Fixed ammunition problems related to the recent build update. Added attachment support, high quality reload sounds (albeit a little quiet). Overhauled damage settings, should kill when you smack the other guy in the center of mass now. Added "Brass" texture to bullets in the 8rnd Enbloc.

V-1.4: "Fixed glitches with iron sights, added M1-N Garand (2035) (ALPHA VERSION), Swaped some sounds, added SOS optics to M1-N, took away Arma 3 optics from standard M1 (Until I get a M84 Scope up and running) since, the standard M1 has no rails, it looks weird. Cleaned up model file- less polies/verts- will eventually make low poly models. And some other crap Ive forgotten...." - From ReadMe. I have also added a foregrip/bipod attachment, and I had to place the laser proxy on the same rail, since I can not get proxies for the side rails to work. There is less weight, but less recoil due to the foregrip/bipod. The bayonet is merely experimental, it does not function atm. Keys added, bisign files added.

V-1.4.1: Added weapon container- Contains 25 of each M1 version, 50 total weapons, with 5 of each attachment, and 200 of each ammo types.

*******************Downloads*******************

Unfortunately, I dont have a clue what download service I should be using... So, Im using my SugarSync dropbox....

https://app.sugarsync.com/wf/D1008464_77238913_678423/getfolder/22783468_123978/M1Garand%20Series?browserOS=Windows

This first link should work, If not, use the second link provided.

https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D1008464_77238913_678423

*******************README*******************

M1 Government Issue by RedRyder

V. 1.40

Installation

Extract to your Arma 3 directory, then go to steam, and in the library tab, right click on the

Arma 3 folder, and select Properties. In the first tab that comes up, select "Set Launch Options",

then add the following code to the parameter that follows: mod=@M1Garand;

Or, just enable in the options in Arma 3.

Known Issues

Not aware of any atm.

Eventual additions

Maybe a M84 sight, idk.

Better sounds

"En Bloc" clip

Addition of the famous "PING" clip ejection sound.

Maybe some doped up secret version... idk. Please give ideas for me in the forums.

Working Bayonet

Many different series of the weapon- Shouldnt take too long to do.

Figure out how to succesfully autoeject the clip and play the PING at the same time...

Figure out proxies...

Used Works:

Zach Gibson's Tutorial (THANKS MAN!) Including-

Config.cpp

Model.cfg

HandAnims

Hand Animation model.cfg

CHANGELOG

ALPHA-

V-1.0: Initial release!!!

V-1.1: Added new textures, new sounds. Fixed sights in Pilot View to be more accurate. Hoping on getting actual recordings from the M-1 rather than synthetic substitutes, but they will do for now.

V-1.2: Fixed Crash to Desktop in multiplayer. Modified textures. 8 round "Enbloc" clip.

V-1.3: Fixed ammunition problems related to the recent build update. Added attachment support, high quality reload sounds (albeit a little quiet). Overhauled damage settings, should kill when you smack the other guy in the center of mass now. Added "Brass" texture to bullets in the 8rnd Enbloc.

V-1.4: Fixed glitches with iron sights, added M1-N Garand (2035) (ALPHA VERSION), Swaped some sounds, added SOS optics to M1-N, took away Arma 3 optics from standard M1 (Until I get a M84 Scope up and running) since, the standard M1 has no rails, it looks weird. Cleaned up model file- less polies/verts- will eventually make low poly models. And some other crap Ive forgotten....

Have fun, Leave feedback!

NOTE: THIS IS IN ZIP FORMAT

I had to wait for this to be posted for me to enable the links, lol. Thanks W0lle.

Note: This will show up in Virtual Ammo Box

Edited by RedRyder

I guess you forgot to include the downloadlink?

It has no texture? Or at least no wood texture.

The ping sound might be added to the reloading animation, which wouldn't be entirely realistic, but given the limitations would be alright for now.

Will you possibly consider making an M14?

Maybe, although the EBR is technically an M14, although it shouldnt be extremely hard, it is similar to the M1. I couldnt add the wood textures I had at that time... for some reason all the ones I find turn blue in game. I had a nice Polished Cherry texture, but, it just look like an oversized blueberry marble cake. Thankfully, the steel texture I found didnt turn into some peach colored marble cake. Looks like cheap plastic will have to do atm.

I am testing other textures right now though. It shouldnt take too long.

Cant seem to get the gun loaded with a mag?

M14 would be great. You get the look of a garand and the proper ability to add attachments as well as have it easier with the reloading animation.

@brad7, What mags are you trying to use? It uses the 20rnd 7.62x45mm EBR mag at the moment.

@ollie, http://ultimak.com/m12.htm , I plan on changing the M1 design a little to, considering that it is 2035 in the game, which is also why Im asking for suggestions. I will think about an M-14 though, but for right now, I want to focus on this.

Maybe, although the EBR is technically an M14, although it shouldnt be extremely hard, it is similar to the M1. I couldnt add the wood textures I had at that time... for some reason all the ones I find turn blue in game. I had a nice Polished Cherry texture, but, it just look like an oversized blueberry marble cake. Thankfully, the steel texture I found didnt turn into some peach colored marble cake. Looks like cheap plastic will have to do atm.

I am testing other textures right now though. It shouldnt take too long.

Your texture sizes are wrong. They need to be sizes of the power of 2, examples: "256x256", "512x512", "1024x1024", "2048x2048" Can also be 2048x1024, 512x256 and similar.

Best of luck with the project, am a fan of the Garand.

fantastic weapon choice. a classic. i reckon arma3 needs more variety in rifles like this.

Hi Ryder,

really like the idea behind this project you started. Though i would like to ask for some of the "missing" parts.

You currently dont have a high-res texture on the rifle. In order to get that going you would need a high and a low-poly version of the rifle (the low-poly gets put ingame later) and then bake maps like normal an ambient occulision.

From that you will be able to get a way better texture done, this could also eliminate your wood problem, even though i think that might be a problem with the rvmat-file that is not present. You could of course be using a rvmat from a different rifle, but that can potentially cause the same problem ^^.

And also, welcome to the BI-Forums family - we sure like having new people come by and already start contributing.

@brad7, What mags are you trying to use? It uses the 20rnd 7.62x45mm EBR mag at the moment..

i tried these aswell is it becuase im using the virtual ammobox?

@brad Not sure. It works for me, Id reinstall it for now, it could be caused by another addon. @Fluttershy- Have not gotten around to a low poly model, I jumped to a high poly model first. Not sure how to actually make those kind of textures... last time it ended badly. At any rate, I have the textures fixed, and added new sounds, modified the sights a little. I did, however, used a quick single color texture for the metal, but, I will be giving it more texture when I have more time. Update should be on the same link.

Thanks Sabre, Didnt notice that, lol.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

P.S.- Anyone have ideas as to why it would cause a Crash To Desktop when killed in multiplayer? Ive heard it was geometry, not sure though.

Edited by RedRyder

In order to connect textures to an area of the model you need the UV-Unwrap of the Model, to then follow those outlines with your normal map and texture. That way you can define the area.... im pretty sure you already know that.

Reguarding the Multiplayer crash - check your RPT file, that might tell you. Or it simply is alpha magic.

Not entirely sure how to unwrap properly, I assume through the UV editor? Nothing relating to the addon is in the .rpt either. Only the fact that it was initialized.

Not entirely sure how to unwrap properly, I assume through the UV editor? Nothing relating to the addon is in the .rpt either. Only the fact that it was initialized.

Yes a UV-Unwrap is done via the UV-Editor. What the UV does is layout the models faces so a texture file placed on that UV will be placed on the model accordingly.

The ping sound might be added to the reloading animation, which wouldn't be entirely realistic, but given the limitations would be alright for now.

You could also just create 8 shot sounds that will played successively with the new engine. So you make the last sound with a ping noises and there you go. The only problem that I see might be the engine reloading the process of played sounds when the break between one and the next sound is too big. You should try it at least for the proper immersion I think ;)

LJ

You could also just create 8 shot sounds that will played successively with the new engine. So you make the last sound with a ping noises and there you go. The only problem that I see might be the engine reloading the process of played sounds when the break between one and the next sound is too big. You should try it at least for the proper immersion I think ;)

LJ

But then there would be no ping on reloading mid-clip (non-empty). The best thing would be to force auto-reload after expending whole clip somehow. For now I'd say the ping should be in the reload sound and we'll just have to assume that this M1 doesn't auto-eject the clip after last shot.

But then there would be no ping on reloading mid-clip (non-empty). The best thing would be to force auto-reload after expending whole clip somehow. For now I'd say the ping should be in the reload sound and we'll just have to assume that this M1 doesn't auto-eject the clip after last shot.

?? There is NO ping when you remove the clip of an M1 Garand and there is still a bullet inside the clip. The ping is only when the last bullet has been shot and left the clip, the tension will trigger the clip to jump out and causing a spring/metal noise, the ping plus it hits the ground, that is causing also a noise..

"the sound of the gunshot is heard at the same time the clip ejects, thus drowning the sound out completely, and the ground that the clip impacted was soft (dirt) thus muffling the impact sound too.......I know, not as romantic or awesome as Hollywood makes it.....but reality is reality"

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

?? There is NO ping when you remove the clip of an M1 Garand and there is still a bullet inside the clip. The ping is only when the last bullet has been shot and left the clip, the tension will trigger the clip to jump out and causing a spring/metal noise, the ping plus it hits the ground, that is causing also a noise..

"the sound of the gunshot is heard at the same time the clip ejects, thus drowning the sound out completely, and the ground that the clip impacted was soft (dirt) thus muffling the impact sound too.......I know, not as romantic or awesome as Hollywood makes it.....but reality is reality"

LJ

Whoops, I guess my mistake on this one. I never dealt with a real garand. Rising Storm mod made me think (well since it's supposed to be realistic) that everytime clip ejects it makes the ping sound. As it is shown here

Anyway, I still think that adding it to the reload is the way to go. Most of games do it this way.

P.S.- Anyone have ideas as to why it would cause a Crash To Desktop when killed in multiplayer? Ive heard it was geometry, not sure though.

Very likely, you either don't have a GEOMETRY LOD, or you don't have weight assigned to it.

Most of games do it this way.

Well, most games would do it the right way, making the clip noise with the last shot. Never saw it on a reload sound in a game. With mods maybe, but not in real games...

Well, he gotta find a way, that was just my suggestion.

LJ