Sign in to follow this  
sgtbarnes73

buldozer error - Shaders not Valid (Mismatch of exe and Data?)

I had a problem loading buldozer.exe from Visitor3

When clicking the option Project\Connect to Buldozer, it always gave me an error that reads "Shaders not Valid (Mismatch of exe and Data?)"

I have been able to find only of thread here on the forum talking about it (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?66581-Shaders-not-Valid-%28Mismatch-of-exe-and-Data-%29&p=1159033), but none of the solutions listed there worked for me.

Until I discovered something that made the difference.

Apparently the buldozer.exe file is nothing but a copy 1:1 of the game executable. In my case the Beta version of ArmaOA.exe.

After discovering it I did the following:

**** MAKE A BACKUP OF ALL OF BOTH YOUR P:\bin FOLDER AND OF THE EXECUTABLE buldozer.exe BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!! ****

1) Renamed my actual copy of buldozer.exe to buldozez.old (the one that installed with the BI Tools 2.5.1 - NO NEED TO DO THIS IF YOU ALREADY BACKED IT UP)

2) Copied the beta C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\betaArma2OA.exe to the P:\ root and renamed it buldozer.exe

3) Extracted a copy of the beta Arma2OA bin.pbo (mine was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\expansion\dta\bin.pbo)

If you are using ExtractPBO as I am doing, you should now have a bin\bin directory with the following 5 files in it:

config.cpp

PboPrefix.txt

Shaders_DefPP.shdc

Shaders_DefPS.shdc

Shaders_DefVS.shdc

4) Moved only the shaders files (Shaders_DefPP.shdc, Shaders_DefPS.shdc, Shaders_DefVS.shdc) to P:\bin\ and overwritten the one that were already in place

Done!

Now when I launch buldozer from within Visitor3 i don't get the message any more and buldozer load just fine.

I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine you should adapt this case scenario to your own configuration.

If you just own Arma2 for example you should go to your Arma 2 installation folder and copy Arma2.exe and extract the bin.pbo located under the Dta folder, same if you have Arma 2 OA with no beta installed use the Arma2OA.exe and the bin.pbo located inside the \arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\dta folder.

I copied this thread also in the above mentioned one that was really old so that more ppl may benefit from it.

Should I have missed anything or reported something incorrectly, please do not hesitate to correct me; I am totally new here and having an hard time setting it all up to work properly.

I hope this have been informative to you.

Happy editing!!!

"Shaders not Valid (Mismatch of exe and Data?)"

This error means exactly what it says - the .exe (buldozer) version, and the "Data" (shaders, etc) version are different...

Apparently the buldozer.exe file is nothing but a copy 1:1 of the game executable.

Not quite - it's essentially a "simplified" version specifically for use as a viewer, but yeah - in an emergency situation, the main game .exe can be used as a "buldozer.exe"

In my case the Beta version of ArmaOA.exe.

This might be part of the problem...

Basically - the "emergency situations" I mentioned above occurred when, for example - OA was released... Modmakers wanted to use their current tools for OA stuff, but the current tools didn't quite match the new assets... A Temporary Workaround was to use the OA.exe as buldozer and - since the data, shaders, etc MUST match the .exe, there was the unpacking of bin.pbo procedure you outline above to be done too...

This situation didn't last for long... soon, BI caught up with the tools suite and released a "compatible version" - v2.5.0

(Then of course they realised they'd made a slight mistake in that version and quickly rushed out a "v2.5.1" - which at the moment, is the Current Version)...

So - 2.5.1 - should - install clean and, once you have your entire game also appropriately unpacked to P:\ (if you're making terrains) you should be ready to go with no further fuss...

There should be no need to mess around unpacking betas or using beta .exe...

* Right now we're, to a certain extent, in that "emergency situation" again, and if you're planning on having a go at making some Arma 3-compatible stuff, some people have been following the same "emergency procedure", but with the Arma3.exe and it's Bin.pbo, etc - this is a sort of halfway-hack measure which is at least partly successful, and keeps the modders happy, or at least interested, until once again, BI catch up with the compatible tools...

However, for standard OA / Combined Ops Arma 2, the current 2.5.1 tools should be 100% plug 'n play - if you're having hassles, I'd consider reinstalling the tools again to start with...

P.S. - your thread is in the "Arma 1" section, whereas you're talking about "Arma 2"... Don't panic - it's an easy mistake to make, especially when you're new to the Forums layout, etc, but this might be why your post is receiving little attention... With a bit of luck a Kindly Mod will spot this thread and move it to the "Arma 2 Tools n Troubleshooting" section where it belongs.... ;)

**edit**

and... moved appropriately by the aforementioned Kindly Mod... Thanks W0lle!

B

Edited by Bushlurker