sproyd

sproyd's Simple Arma 3 Editor Guide

I'm putting together a basic Editor Guide as I see a lot of people on these forums looking for something like this. Yes, there are other comprehensive (300pg) guides and videos out there but I thought I could add some value to beginners through my written English and presentation skills.

I thought I would post this in the Arma 3 - General section rather than Editor section as most people in the Editor section already have a good base knowledge of how the Editor works.

The guide is in plain English and assumes no prior knowledge - it will hopefully help a lot of people with a step-by-step guide on how to create basic missions which they can then on expand on by delving into the trove of detailed information available elsewhere.

I want to gauge interest and feedback on my writing and presentation style (from both English-speaking and non-native speakers) to see whether I am on the right track. All feedback is appreciated!

V0.

Dropbox Link

Edited by sproyd
  • Like 1

Nice guide, this will give the newbies some help :P . Watching videos all the time for them could probably get tiresome and 300 pg guides covers way more than basics and for a first timer, basics is what they need first :D .

Sproyd, I have read a lot of guides and seen a lot of video tutorials. But your guide is in the top tier, even if you only cover the basics. The walkthrough style and your non-trivial examples (not many guides cover what rank in groups mean and how it translates to consequences in-game - they probably have never investigated it) are what make your guide excellent.

Please write on and retain the amount and depth of examples and screenshots for the next sections :)

Oh, and your screenshot size is well chosen, some use too large screenies to read easily.

-OP

Hi Sproyd, this is a nice guide. Being a non-native english speaking guy, I completely can follow your explanations though. It also is well structured. Keep up the good work, I'm getting more and more interested in basic mission building. Thanks so far for your effort.

Jan

Cool mate,

Maybe break down Markers, Modules Triggers and Syncing etc rather than doing all in 1 go?

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

Great news, today I had some free time and I updated the guide to v0.5. Lots more content and some minor tweaks and fixes. See what you think :)

Great guide!

Could use an index at the start though (nitpicking I know :rolleyes:)

Can't wait reading about custom loadouts!

Thank you.

Edited by bez

Thanks great job looking forward to see all

Great job I hope you continue with more about using the editor this stuff really helps the newbies trying to get into the game .

Cheers

Two things

1) A very minor update to v0.51 - no new content just a few spelling and grammatical fixes.

2) Thanks for the positive feedback - what do you guys want to see next? I only have limited time to work on this incrementally so would like to put it to you what you'd like to see. Custom Loadouts? Briefings? Intros/Outros? Mission Ideas and how to make them? Custom debriefings and mission end texts? In-game hints and pop-up text?

This is a democracy after all.

Edited by sproyd
Removed reference to current geopolitical event....

he he do all :D and take your time ... hurry :o

Two things

1) A very minor update to v0.51 - no new content just a few spelling and grammatical fixes.

2) Thanks for the positive feedback - what do you guys want to see next? I only have limited time to work on this incrementally so would like to put it to you what you'd like to see. Custom Loadouts? Briefings? Intros/Outros? Mission Ideas and how to make them? Custom debriefings and mission end texts? In-game hints and pop-up text?

This is a democracy after all.

Since you ask, sproyd :) I would really like to learn how to set up a simple patrol of OPFOR AI. You know, plop down a group of opfor and have them patrol a town or a base in some sensible way. I understand that it can be done without mods, I just don't know how.

And for nighttime ops, how do you equip that patrol with nvg's or flashlights (that may be covered already?)

That would be an excellent addition to the guide I think. Hope you consider it, cheers

OP

v0.6 now released. Now includes custom unit loadouts tutorial. As always, feedback welcome and let me know what you want to see next or what needs changing.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Since you ask, sproyd :) I would really like to learn how to set up a simple patrol of OPFOR AI. You know, plop down a group of opfor and have them patrol a town or a base in some sensible way. I understand that it can be done without mods, I just don't know how.

And for nighttime ops, how do you equip that patrol with nvg's or flashlights (that may be covered already?)

That would be an excellent addition to the guide I think. Hope you consider it, cheers

OP

This stuff is very easy - and I will add it to the guide asap if you like. I think most units have NVGs and Flashlights by default.

Thank for all your work! Is it possible to add some basic pickup and drop with cars or heli`s?

Excellent guide. However, I am running into an issue with the distance marker on east airfield. I have looked over it, over and over and over again and cant find my problem. I can complete the "move west, move east mission" But the distance marker is not showing on the east. If I am allowed to post a medifire link to the mission I will, but if not can you help me?

Sorry all, have had no time to work on this guide between new job, moving house, building a new Arma 3 PC, visitors to London and general life obligations! Hopefully will get some time in the not too distant future...

Excellent guide. However, I am running into an issue with the distance marker on east airfield. I have looked over it, over and over and over again and cant find my problem. I can complete the "move west, move east mission" But the distance marker is not showing on the east. If I am allowed to post a medifire link to the mission I will, but if not can you help me?

Ungroup and unsync the destination module (so it has no lines leading from it) then make sure it is synced with the create task module ONLY (and no other modules including the set task state module).

hi Sproyd, cracking job mate!!

glad we have people like you!

i already know some knowledge of mission building but... it is VERY usefull to have a guide when you get a bit rusty.

however the things that make me confused are the init line scripts. i really want helicopters to force lights on but ____ knows how lol