Sign in to follow this  
fons

How does the multiplayer ranking system works?

Hi , im new here in arma 3 , didnt have an arma , and im playing alpha but dont know how the ranking system works.

The only thing i know is that they are military ranks , but how do i level up? I dont see points for kills or anything , excuse my ignorance but im really lost in the ranking system of this game. I couldnt find anything on the internet , and appart from the benefits for being a commander if you are the most ranked man on a squad, do you earn something exclusive that for example a private doesnt have?? Like weapons or something?

So please i would appreciate a lot if someone explains to me how the multiplayer works . Thanks in advance and excuse my ignorance about this game.

Arma doesn't use the generic ranking system of most FPS, you don't climb the ranks by racking up kills or doing things like that, nor will you see numbers pop on your screen to say "you got X points for X kill". There are no weapon unlocks, everything is availible (as long as there is an weapon crate or dead soldier nearby.)

Ranking in Arma is more of a hierarchy, as the commanding unit is killed off another will take his place, generally the next highest ranking unit in the group.

There is no ranking system, this isn't COD or Battlefield or any game out there on the market. This is ArmA. You are appointed a rank and MOS by other players and/or spawned in with them. There is no leveling up because it isn't about how long you play it or how much "xp" you get in a match, it's HOW you play it. You could be an ArmA vet and have never played the alpha until a day ago, or until full release, and still be "better" than someone who played the game since the first day of Alpha.

Yep, there's no such thing as xp, levels, unlocks or what so ever. You play it any imaginable way you like, from being a simple rifleman to a tank commander, artillery crew/spotter or an apache pilot, basically anything depending on the mission. The only ranking you'll ever get is if you join a squad and build your way up and eventually might get to command lower units, squads or at the very best platoons. Which might happen from a month or two to several years.

You may have played as many "other shooters" as you like - when you haven't played Arma yet, you don't know anything about Arma :D

Arma is not the best game of it's kind - it's the only game of it's kind.

Yeah i dont know nothing about arma thats why i created this thread man.

Thanks for all the replies , but what i still dont know is how do you rank up from a private to a leutanant for example

Thanks for all the replies , but what i still dont know is how do you rank up from a private to a leutanant for example

Mission makers set the rank for individual soldiers. So you start with a rank based on the possition in your platoon/fireteam.

You cant increase in rank while playing anything in this game, they are preset before mission start :)

Hello there

Another way of putting it, any rank is assigned to a player slot and you take the rank it comes with. So basically, dont worry about it, it's normally nothing you need to take a vast amount of notice of, although does come in useful later. Just get in and play/listen and learn.

Rgds

LoK

But... there are missions (or gamemodes) that implement their own rank system, those may give you access to better weapons or vehicles, depends on what the mission maked decides.

Well last tiem I had a lock ArmA tried to be a simulation, and apart from RPG game modes ArmA is mainly about playing a single mission. The shortest time to gain a higher rank in the military RL took me 6 months and I don't see why you should rise from private ti Colonel in a single mission in a few hours...thats RPG stuff not MilSim...ranks don't matter in ArmA. What matters is the team and the mission...and you can play as guerilla cell too or a rag tag bandit gang or whatever.

BTW you don't get promotions for blowing up stuff or killing people in RL at least not in the armies of the somewhat civilized world and the more serious mission reflect exactly that.

Domination styled maps are the ones you'll gain rank for killing and destroying things most, though those are there due to as Smurf said, the higher your rank the more vehicles you can access, a private will be able to access a regular unweaponized car but not a tank for example.

As others said, there's no regular "ranking up" by default, the soldier ranks are basically just the order-of-succession if a group leader (i.e. squad leader) is killed.

Some user-made missions may have a level/progression system to their mission, but then leveling/ranking up is by "however the mission-maker wants"; NodUnit gives an example of this ranking up.

there's no ranking, only if a mission maker decides to create smth that looks like ranking, but there are no 80 lvl elf or crap like that

In any case welcome to ArmA and once you get used to it and learn to love what it can offer coop wise, then I strongly suggest you to join a group of players that has rank organization and so forth. All these missions that do offer some sort of ranking are mostly a one time thing. Meaning you get the rank of major eventually and such, but it all goes away upon leaving the server or if it gets restarted. No data is saved for it or what so ever.

The simplest way to explain it would be:

ARMA is completely flexible. Play mode/type/style is all determined by the mission.

The player slots in some missions will be the same but most will have different weapon loadouts. (Usually other weapons are available at ammo crates)

In some missions the player slots may have special abilities like calling air strikes, artillery, evac, etc. These are usually higher ranks but the rank is only in name really. You just pick a slot for the role you want.

'Domination' mission have an option to make players rank up with kills and allows you to pick better weapons. (set when mission is started)

There is a lot to learn and the best advice is take your time and follow some other players. Most will be happy to answer questions.

Playing on public servers is less organized so have a look for a clan to join in your country (for best connection etc)

That was a joke. No reason to react like a huffish codkid.

And "you" means "everybody".

Edited by RogueTrooper

ANTISTASSI has a "Military Ranking" system. I am looking for that script. Some of the searches come back to this thread. I had to reply to correct. There is a raning system in Arma 3 in the game "Antistassi". If anyone can elaborate more of what the script is. I would like to put that into my missions.