kenoxite

WW4 Extended - Unofficial expansion for WW4 2.5

Hi kenoxite, first thanks for this great mod, i think is very awesome and is my favorite mod. Again thanks. So i have a question, ¿can you put a squad logo at all units include infantry in next update?.

Thanks

Thanks to all involved for this mod.

Potential small bug - the National Army officer spawns without ammo. Can anyone else confirm?

@JdB: Thanks again for the mirrors.

@TangusWulff: I guess you mean squad logos to vehicles, correct? AFAIK you can't apply them to infantry in OFP. Can someone confirm this? And thanks to you for playing this.

@Snafu: It seems that something isn't working properly in ww4ext_magazines, as the units themselves work correctly. It might be related to the other problem you mentioned in the other thread, where you weren't able to launch multiple mods at once. Which makes me guess that you've merged WW4 and EXT folders.

If that's the case, remove, delete or rename ww4_magazines.pbo. The ext version of that file actually overwrites it, using the same name classes and expanding it with new ones. This most likely means that you won't be able to use vanilla WW4 units, but if you're concentrating on EXT ones then this might help you for the time being.

--

@All: Here's a quick patch that fixes some features that were accidentally disabled or were not working properly:

Download WW4 EXT v0.97 quick fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/idg43y289iskdk5/WW4_EXT_v097quickfix.zip

I've decided to release this now, seeing that the next patch will take a while and these bugs affect important features of EXT.

To install, simply copy the two pbos found in this zip file to your EXT or EXT_PATCH addons folder.

CHANGELOG:

v0.9.7 quick fix

Logics:
- FIX: Activation code for AI rucksack management wasn't present since who knows when
- CHANGE: Increased horizontal range to hear bullet cracks from 30 to 50
- CHANGE: Added further checks for presence of unit in the event handler init scripts

Weapons:
- FIX: Fixed path to bullet impact sounds. They should be back again
- CHANGE: Bullet flying sounds successfully muted now
- CHANGE: Rate of fire changes also applied to rifles using 7.62 ammo (reduced rate of fire and mode selection distances)

Damn, I forgot to mention that. I think the AI rucksacks were broken since v8. That's the last time I remember the AI ammo sharing working properly. But they're working fine now, so that's great! One of my favorite features.

@TangusWulff: I guess you mean squad logos to vehicles, correct? AFAIK you can't apply them to infantry in OFP. Can someone confirm this? And thanks to you for playing this.

Except for using a squad.xml I don't think it's possible. A texture could be used with the model as a patch or logo, but each player could not select thier own.

Can the personal menu be applied to campaign missions?

I'd say yes, but someone have to do it manually. A rather tedious job, I'd think.

@Captione: Hmm, highly unlikely. Among other things, that would limit the generic feel of the units. While EXT units are more specific than vanilla WW4 they are still pretty generic, and insignias would limit that aspect. The insignias themselves would also be too small and blurry once applied to the models.

@iluvyaman: Expanding on what krzy mentions, the menu needs to be set up manually by the mission maker (or whoever edits an existing mission). It can't be applied globally. I wish OFP allowed that, but it's not the case. I guess that you could always add the defines for he dialogs in the main resource.cpp of OFP. But, even then, you'd have to activate the whole personal menu system via scripting somehow, which means editing each mission individually. There's no easy way to do all this that I'm aware of.

@Captione: (...) The insignias themselves would also be too small and blurry once applied to the models.

Not to mention that they'd be likely to disappear in some situations (depending on unit's stance) - yep, I tried to make such insignias and finding the "sweet spot" was driving me mad.

@JdB: Thanks again for the mirrors.

@TangusWulff: I guess you mean squad logos to vehicles, correct? AFAIK you can't apply them to infantry in OFP. Can someone confirm this? And thanks to you for playing this.[/code]

With squad.xml? yeah its possible, you can not necessarily put him in the arm, I think it is better in the chest. And not only with staff, also with the remaining vehicles.

I give a proof...

http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Operation_Flashpoint/0606/04_Shackgoon/Shackgoon_June4th_18.jpg (345 kB)

And the queen proof :D

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?55597-Identifying-players

I hope that you think this jajajaja

With squad.xml? yeah its possible, you can not necessarily put him in the arm, I think it is better in the chest. And not only with staff, also with the remaining vehicles.

I give a proof...

http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Operation_Flashpoint/0606/04_Shackgoon/Shackgoon_June4th_18.jpg (345 kB)

And the queen proof :D

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?55597-Identifying-players

I hope that you think this jajajaja

The squad.xml is up to the player to locate the needed file onto a website and enter location in the ingame profile screen. This is like an overlay on the addons. The addon maker has nothing to do with squad.xml's.

Anyone getting the error,

"Cannot find file sound ww4explosion."

Whenever blowing up any vehicle?

Anyone getting the error,

"Cannot find file sound ww4explosion."

Whenever blowing up any vehicle?

That sound is defined in vanilla WW4, so chances are you installed it or are launching it incorrectly.

Check this post for detailed installation instructions. You might have skipped some step.

That's perfectly normal. Apparently, the the WW4EXT_GAU8 can cause serious lag on even the high spec PCs. The best solution is to simply rearm the A10 manually with it's original default cannon and ammo.

I am experiencing heavy lag when I use the WW4EXT_GAU8 cannon on the ww4ext_a10

The EXT GAU8 spits a lot of bullets in every burst. Being the bullets explosive, it generates a lot of dust particles when hitting against something. That can be quite taxing for some computer configurations, particularly older ones. If you have lag problems with this particular weapon, it's quite likely that you have similar problems with other ones using explosive ammo, such as the BIS M2A2, WW4 AAVP, etc.

There's two ways to deal with this issue:

a) The amount of burst can be changed so it's closer to the BIS analog, which makes the GAU spew a handful of bullets with a very high multiplier. Or the weapon remains the same but the ammo is changed to non-explosive, which eliminates the particle generation completely. Both result in a very unrealistic and underwhelming representation of the actual effects of a GAU8 (lots of rounds , lots of smoke).

b) The definitions of the particles themselves could be changed, so they are less CPU intensive. This would be my approach of choice, but EXT can't do that, as the config is defined in vanilla WW4 and EXT is just a mod-mod after all.

While this will be dealt with in the upcoming update, you can apply yourself one of the solutions mentioned above.

If you go with a, you should open the "ww4ext_vehwpns.pbo" and edit either "GAU8.hpp" or "GAU8ammo.hpp". To reduce the amount of burst, you should lower the "burst" value and increase the "multiplier" one so they end up being 65 (when multiplied). To make the ammo non-explosive, change the value of "explosive" from 1 to a lower value (such as 0.9). Then compile the pbo again. If the BIKI is to be trusted, the ammo will still be mainly explosive, but without the associated FX (as it seems to be a float, not a boolean).

If you decide to try b, you'll need to edit WW4's config.cpp (found in @ww4mod25\bin). Make a back-up copy and delete all the code starting from "class CfgCloudlets" (included) up to "class WeaponFireGun" (excluded). In its place, write: #include "cloudlets.hpp", so it'll look like:

drySound[]={"Vehicles\sportcarhorn",0.1,1};
	};
};

#include "cloudlets.hpp"

class WeaponFireGun
{

Then create a new file in that same folder, name it "cloudlets.hpp", copy/paste the code found here: http://pastebin.com/8s67QBjK and save it. That will replace the valus of all the particles with those of the latest WGL. These definitions are particularly CPU friendly, and will keep your FPS in line whenever any explosion is rendered (be it from a GAU or not).

You could also swap the EXT GAU for the BIS one, as mentioned. But that's a workaround that doesn't actually solve the problem.

So, a question for anyone reading this. Which approach would you prefer? Modify the weapon so it spits less bullets? Make the ammo less explosive? Leave them as they are and provide the alternative cloudlets.hpp? All these solutions would make the GAU8 less spectacular and true to life, but the two former would modify it more drastically than the latter, affecting those who don't have a real problem with the weapon.

So, a question for anyone reading this. Which approach would you prefer?

I'd go with option b. - modified cloudlets. This way one could decide wether he goes with "alternate" config or leave things as they are. Problems will emerge only when WW4 would be updated and new config would be different than current 2.5.

I have already edited the ww4 config. I added SLX cfg clouds

The EXT GAU generates a smoke trail every time it's fired. If you are actually experiencing lag *only* when the GAU is fired (not when it hits) *and* you're not using vanilla WW4's cloudlets then that might be the source of your problem: the SLX cloudlets values.

Diesel's A-10 shouldn't perform particularly better in a default EXT installation. While its burst size is considerably lower, and it doesn't have the smoke FX applied to the gun, it shoots continuously instead of in short bursts. That should generate a similar (actually bigger in my tests) amount of cloudlets when it hits, which is where the FPS hit (the "lag") should kick in.

As far as I'm concerned, this is not an issue caused by EXT.

I'd go with option b. - modified cloudlets. This way one could decide wether he goes with "alternate" config or leave things as they are. Problems will emerge only when WW4 would be updated and new config would be different than current 2.5.

Regardless of any changes, I think I'll provide instructions about how to go with the optional cloudlets config in the first post, instead of providing a complete alternative config. It's quite likely that players have modified the ww4 config already (aspect ratio fix, voices, etc).

That sound is defined in vanilla WW4, so chances are you installed it or are launching it incorrectly.

Check this post for detailed installation instructions. You might have skipped some step.

Everything works perfectly now!

Great mod! Really love all the work you all did to this.

Edited by stix45

I think you need to replace the CONFIG file found in @ww4mod25\bin, with another CONFIG file found in @ww4mod25\Bonus\To enable radio.

That's cool, I was just late to respond.

Edited by Apocalypse 83
problem solved

Sure, go ahead. You (and anyone else) can use anything from EXT as you see fit. Anything except the 3rd party vehicles, infantry units and other things not derived from WW4 or not explicitly public domain. When in doubt, check the credits list. You should get an idea bout what is what regarding persmissions.