kenoxite

WW4 Extended - Unofficial expansion for WW4 2.5

No need to apologize. I'll proceed to edit my previous post. It wasn't my intention to embarrass you and I probably should have PMd you that instead. My bad.

I have the file now. I'll post later once I've checked it out. Thank you very much in any case.

Edited by kenoxite

Good job! :)

Maybe the tracks and cogs (?) should be left out of the retexture? Maybe some airbrush with some noise to simulate accumulated dust... Anyway, feel free to ignore this suggestion.

Good then. I'll start to tweak their configs as soon as this is posted. The vehicles will be included in the next patch, which should be out later today.

For the curious, this is how they look like:

PNpzto2.jpg

And ge.tt seems nice so far, idd, although now that I've experienced the downloader side, hmm... it seems their download speeds are less than stellar. Oh well.

I did actually leave the tracks and cogs out originally, but for some reason they looked a bit out of place. And I noticed that real tanks seem to have a sandy type of track, from sand build up. Plus the original track texture has a slight green tint. But if you want to change them, or anything else yourself, feel free to, I'm sure you know how. They are only going to be cannon fodder for the Abrams! (joke)

Ok then. BTW, have you considered retexturing the BMP-2? (found in /Addons/BMP2.pbo)

I did consider the BMP2 and T80, but I wasn't sure if anyone wanted them. If you want I could get to work on them, it may take me a while. I'm also gonna do the UAZ, as you know. It's the least I can do after what you and Sanctuary, plus everybody else has done.

Also, you may notice a slight bug with the T-55. The gunner has the option to turn out, and when he does he is invisible. It's not really a problem, but that's probably just my slap dash configuration.

Edited by Apocalypse 83
t55 and t80

Go ahead if you have the time and will. Just remember that you're not forced to do it. We are all here to have fun (at least, I think I am) and, as a side effect, help others having some fun.

The T-55 actually seems to have problems with crew positions in general (they are all elevated over their original ones). Seems related to the p3d and not the configs.

Hmm... weird. Actually, it just seems to be related with the config I've PMd you, which uses the original BIS parameters.

Found the problem. It was wrong class inheritance. BIS decided to include an entry for T55 that never used, when the actual one is T55G, child of Tank.

Edited by kenoxite

EXT versions already implemented:

Q8GaprZ.jpg

The patch including those vehicles (plus other stuff) will be released later today.

BTW, Apoc, have you received any of my PMs?

Yeah I got it, sorry I wasn't expecting any PMs. But I've replied. Hope you got a few hours spare to read it!

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Looks very nice !!

Thanks. I know they are a bit on the dark and yellow side, as apposed to pink, but I think they look a lot scarier that way. Also, it's hard to lighten the textures too much without obscuring the detail.

v0.9.4 (aka patch 4) released

iPtAcPf.jpgQ8GaprZ.jpg

Includes Offtime's soviet BRDM and Apocalypse83 desert retextures, plus further fixes and tweaks.

Check the changelog below for more info. Download link in the first post.

Changelog:

v0.9.4 - BRDM-2, desert armor for east and resistance

Logics:
- FIX: Script that replaces rucksacks with invisible versions should now work properly with civilian and resistance sides (ww4ext_scripts)
- FIX: Renamed "supersonic" flyby logic to "jet" flyby and modified it accordingly. I went full NASA there with unit conversions (fell prey to tunnel vision, I was using my bullet crack script as template). The effect remains the same (ww4ext_scripts,ww4ext_helper)
- FIX: Black hawks shouldn't take any more damage and be destroyed when waiting for cargo (ww4ext_support)
- FIX: Rucksacks shouldn't (hopefully) drop two magazines instead of just one in some circumstances (map_rucksack)
- CHANGE: Added new BRDM-2 to transport preset pool for east (ww4ext_support)
- CHANGE: Transport support will try to assign land vehicles with a similar seat count as the group count of caller (so, no 5t truck for just a couple units, but a HMMWV instead, etc) (ww4ext_support)

Weapons:
- CHANGE: Burst mode for 50cal, dshk and pkt not used against infantry units any more. Reduced mid-range distance and probability to emulate more human-like behaviour (ww4ext_vehwpns)
- CHANGE: Disabled ability to target infantry for high powered vehicle weapons when a more appropriate alternative is present (like a PKT or 50cal)

Vehicles:
- NEW: Proper BRDM-2 by Offtime/OFPL, found in "East/WW4 EXT/Soviet Army/Vehicles"
- NEW: Desert armor versions of T-55, T-72,BMP and Shilka, found in respective "BIS Vehicles"
- FIX: Vehicles that transport ammo now carry the new EXT rocket launchers and ammo
- CHANGE: Made sure no EXT vehicle unloads cargo in combat. While it's annoying in some situations, it can be handled via scripting, while it's something impossible to fix in OFP the other way around (no way to avoid them to stop and dismount when fired upon, so no convoys).
- CHANGE: BIS "BRDM-2" renamed to "D-442 FUG Scout". "BRDM-2 MG" renamed to "D-442 FUG Scout MG". Scouts MG moved from "Russian army" to "Soviet army" category. All class names remain the same.
- CHANGE: Lowered engine sounds for crew to most vehicles. Engine of military cars (HMMWVs, UAZs, etc) louder now, to stop them from ninja-ing.

Something some of you might want to try:

I've been working on another mission using EXT. Instead of going on and finish it properly I've decided to post it here, just in case there's some feedback. The mission itself is pretty much done, but there's some final touches that should be applied here and there.

Your chopper has crashed while exfiltrating from a recon mission, now you must try to get back to your base on foot, deep in hostile territory. Check the Notes area in the briefing of the mission before starting. It's a difficult one, at least in veteran mode. MP compatible up to 4 players.

Bad Exfil v0.2: http://ge.tt/3ircTWk1

I might end up compiling any further missions I create for EXT in a single thread in User Missions, instead creating new threads for every single one.

Please, report any problems and/or suggestions.

Mediafire links are back online. It seems the problem with the download counter has been solved. Sorry about the file hosting dance. Ge.tt links will still be there for those who like that option, in any case.

Also, days ago I got permission from snYpir to use the rope and rappel animations. That means that I could now finally implement fast rope insertions into EXT's transport support without requiring a 3rd party addon (the rope and anim are actually already included in the latest patches, but are unused). I would also add a paradrop option if I were to implement that.

The problem with all those extra features for transport insertions (apart from my own laziness) is how to implement them in the simplest way possible for the user. In my CCE update, the insertion method was chosen in a dialog that popped up when clicking the destination waypoint. In EXT, I would implement it in the personal menu itself. There's already icons and extra buttons prepared for that, and they had been for a few patches now. But, what about those who only use the action menu? I could go with nested action menu options, but I personally hate that. It makes a clunky feature (the action menu itself) even clunkier. Which leads me to the alternative of only allowing choosing the type of helo insertion (land, paradrop or fast rope) when you have the personal menu enabled in your mission. Would you guys mind that?

As I know that if there's any answers their amount could be counted by a man who has lost all his fingers but one, I'll make all this easier by offering a simple poll:

- Option 1: I don't mind to only allow those extra insertion options when I enable the personal menu in my mission

- Option 2: Having extra insertion options only allowed to those who enable the personal menu in their missions is something that doesn't concern me that much.

- Abstention: I agree with anything you decide. Really, I couldn't give a damn about it [editor's note: I like you].

As I know that if there's any answers their amount could be counted by a man who has lost all his fingers but one, I'll make all this easier by offering a simple poll:

- Option 1: I don't mind to only allow those extra insertion options when I enable the personal menu in my mission

- Option 2: Having extra insertion options only allowed to those who enable the personal menu in their missions is something that doesn't concern me that much.

- Abstention: I agree with anything you decide. Really, I couldn't give a damn about it [editor's note: I like you].

Well, I think that I'll vote... Option 3 - Abstention. Do You like me? :p

But jokes aside: I dunno. I haven't had much time to really test, learn and adjust to Personal Menu, and when I play OFP (read: tinker in the editor) I'm not using it. Even in Zulu's mission I was better (faster) when I was using BI's command menu, than Personal Menu. BUT, when additional extraction modes are going to be "PM exclusive", it may actually force me to learn this feature of Your mod and maybe even master it to some degree - as I've said mine "lack of interest" in PM is rather a matter of lack of time.

The only gripe I can see is when someone is developing mission and forgets to add description.ext file. But that's only thing I can think of that'd be against Your idea.

So, to sum it up: yes, You're right! ;)

I like you.

Actually... I've just had an apostrophe epiphany.

What about this? Once you've chosen the final destination (and assuming you've either chosen a destination far enough or forced helos via WW4EXT_TRANSAirOnly) a hint informs you that you can choose the insertion method by simply [Click]ing for "land", [sHIFT+Click]ing for "paradrop" and [ALT+Click]ing for "fast rope" insertion.

This could be used whether you use the personal menu or not. So, no extra icons and buttons.

About the personal menu and your reticence to use it, I can relate. Having to create a description.ext and add those lines only when you want to fool around is suboptimal. If only OFP allowed addons to properly include dialogs. But, if you ever use it, do it along Fwatch. Really. Press a key and the menu is displayed. Press it again and it closes. The options themselves are theoretically faster than using the orders menu. It applies several orders with a single click, at least for the Contact, Clear, Alert, Stealth and At Ease orders. And, it allows your units to advance crouched (Alert mode), which comes handy in some situations. No pressure, though. You're free to keep playing OFP like a caveman.

Edited by kenoxite

What about this? Once you've chosen the final destination (...) a hint informs you that you can choose the insertion method by simply [Click]ing for "land", [sHIFT+Click]ing for "paradrop" and [ALT+Click]ing for "fast rope" insertion.

This could be used whether you use the personal menu or not. So, no extra icons and buttons.

Wouldn't it need FWatch? Anyway, in Personal Menu it would be better to have separate buttons for different actions.

(...) But, if you ever use it, do it along Fwatch. Really. Press a key and the menu is displayed. Press it again and it closes. The options themselves are theoretically faster than using the orders menu.

Notes taken. Just don't take my words against Your ideas! It's just old farts - old tricks syndrome! :p

No pressure, though. You're free to keep playing OFP like a caveman.

Well, it IS a caveman game, isn't it? :)

Wouldn't it need FWatch?

Nah, it doesn't need it. It's actually implemented already, both the mapclick selection to choose the insertion method (which works with and without the pm) and the paradrop and fast rope insertions themselves. I only needed to adapt and tweak some of my old code, so it's been relatively quick and easy to do. Now it just need some MP testing.

Kenoxite, hello. At first - thanks for you mod, it's great.

And I have idea, what you think about winter camo for USA, Resistance and Russian? And can you add desert camo for Russian?

Spirit.

Hi again, MG.

Yes, I've thought about adding winter camo every now and then. It's something that might happen, but I'm running out of steam TBH. It'd be very basic in any case (as in simple retextures). The problem is that there isn't too many winter maps to begin with, so I'm not sure how worth all this effort would be.

About desert camo for russians, I might go ahead and simply create new configs for the basic WW4 units, instead of creating new models based on them (so, no off duty units and other variants). They are kind of needed now that we have east desert armor.

Blimey, coming back from an exercise and I see yet another update and proactive work, brilliant :D

May need to reinstall the mod, with all these features!

Keep up the great work :) love the SP missions :D

Thanks, mate.

AI view blocking smoke grenades, toggle-able:

Smoke effect from the WW4 unused smoke grenades. 3D object and script by me, although it's obviously heavily inspired (or whatever you want to call it) by the JAM ones. There's just so many ways to skin a cat. While I'm the first one who hates having to reinvent the wheel over and over again, I just didn't want to do the permission dance yet again, with all the delays and potential (most likely) denial involved. The amorphous sphere will also be available in the "Empty" area so you can use it for other purposes. A visible version will be provided, so you can see its coverage.

Also, russian infantry in woodland and desert camo will make it to the next patch. Snow camo units highly unlikely.

Edited by kenoxite

Will this work with the steam version "arma:cwc" or only the old ofp?

It works with both versions.

The only incompatibilities between the two (apart from the change of the exe's name) are some functions introduced in CWA. But none of those are used and, if so, an alternative for the old OFP is provided.

Some experiments:

Alternative look for PMC/mercs. Baseball caps and no balaclava.

Ur1flaP.jpg

Afghan VDV with kapis.

sYdt6v3.jpg

The kapi needs a proper texture. So, if anyone is up, please, let me know.

I had to take sshots at dusk so you can see the model's details. I'm using ivosm textures in those sshots.

If I get to finish afghan VDV units properly I'm considering retexturing them myself. It seems the colors should be darker, more brownish, like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spetsnaz#mediaviewer/File:RIAN_archive_827836_Group_of_special_forces_after_a_combat_mission.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/34ditr8.jpg

The ones in the sshots above seem to be based on photos like this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/pntballer356/Russians%20In%20Afghanistan/1695.jpg

but the coloring there seems to be affected by external factors (camera quality, lighting, aging, etc).

Edited by kenoxite