Sign in to follow this  
JohnKalo

Take on Helicopters + Arma 2,3 = ?

Hi to all. Well I was not sure where to post this, in Arma or in TOH forums, but I decided here since TOH is what I like! Now what I would like to know is if TOH and Arma 3 can be united with a patch of some sort. I am aware that there is a possibility with Arma 2 but with Arma 3?

And also what is there to unite exactly?. I mean ok the light and the medium choppers I suppose will have their flight-realism and control enhanced as I would like, but what about the Chinook? There is no such helo in TOH but there is certainly one in Arma missions. It would be a unique experience to fly one but only on the TOH level of realism. I wouldn't be interested otherwise.

The reason why I am asking all this is that there is not much multiplayer action in TOH and I hope that there is in Arma. And in Arma games what can you exactly do in multiplayer games?

If I miss-posted this thread I would be happy to post it in the Arma forums.

Thanks in advance...

I mean ok the light and the medium choppers I suppose will have their flight-realism and control enhanced as I would like, but what about the Chinook? There is no such helo in TOH but there is certainly one in Arma missions. It would be a unique experience to fly one but only on the TOH level of realism. I wouldn't be interested otherwise.

Whilst the All in ArmA mod (linked above) is utterly fantastic, I don't think it does what you are after. Rather then ArmA helos adopting the flight models from ToH, it works the other way round. I imagine getting ArmA helos with ToH flight models is an astronomical task, and might tread on a few legal toes.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?141818-Arma-Samples-Copyright-questions Is the nearest thread related to what your asking about I think. Alas, the OP hasn't been online for some time it seems.

AFAIK it is only a matter of time for the rotorlib to show up in ARMA 3, besides, you shouldn't be able to or allowed to use ARMA 3 assets in TOH anyway, as iirc that is considered back porting.

Thats good news! I'd heard conflicting reports on the rotorlibs in A3, so decided to sit back and see what actually happens.

I never made any reference to back porting, and pointed out the possibility of legal issues.

It would be a unique experience to fly one but only on the TOH level of realism. I wouldn't be interested otherwise.

Considering the OP wanted to fly ArmA helos with ToH flight models though, I still don't believe that there is currently a solution. If there is, I'd also be more than eager to hear about it. :)

Many thanks to you both for your quick, direct and helpful answers. I have analysed both of your links and comments and as I understood there is no realism in Arma flying. :(

Too sad to say the least. I thought that I could buy Arma and have the perfect flying experience. If there only were more online action with Rearmed.....

Now another point is why is there legal issues between the two games when both games are from the same company??? I don't get it although I am not an expert in these things but....

I agree. Re-armed is a fantastic addition for ToH. I might try and re-install my ToH re-armed server (Did an OS update) and maybe run that a few hours an evening. Its a home PC so I can't leave it on all the time. Have no idea how it would perform either, I'd have to do some testing. As always, a time issue *Shakes fist at real life* :)

There was a dedicated Domination re-armed server in the past, and I had great time on there, but was often alone.

Yep. There is sadly a shortage in online players. My personal high score is 5 but when I started a server with those guys they acted like crazy. They didn't know how to fly!?!? They couldn't put in practice the start up procedure!?!?!? I mean come on... Also I have problems with some missions on dedicated servers. There was an air-force 1 mission that I couldn't play for some reason. Too sad... Now I make do with a convoy mission that I have downloaded which is great fun but not when you are on your own...

Maybe some Arma players should join us. For gunners on choppers and many more....

Thats good news! I'd heard conflicting reports on the rotorlibs in A3, so decided to sit back and see what actually happens.
One forums member claimed to be talking to BI due to his work with HTR, but presumably any progress is hidden under a NDA. :( This was after a dev said that the TOH flight model will be Arma 3 at some point before final release, only for the lead dev to qualify that by saying that it's not guaranteed that the BI-made stock helicopters will use the TOH flight model. :eek:

From what I understand though, doesn't Rearmed still result in the Arma 2 helicopters having that game's native flight models while TOH helicopters have the newer flight model?

Ah yeah, I think thats fred64 I believe? Did some excellent work with the ToH light and medium classes. I can actually fly the mediums now. :) I just need to improve with the Hinds. lol!

From what I understand though, doesn't Rearmed still result in the Arma 2 helicopters having that game's native flight models while TOH helicopters have the newer flight model?

Re-Armed does, yes. Domination was quite a scary experience!

Haven't heard from fred64 since, hence why I've been guessing "NDA".

Cool, but that means that we'll be remaining in the dark (thus feeding the most negative views) about Arma 3's flight model/physics until an official reveal, aren't we? :(

Re-Armed does, yes. Domination was quite a scary experience!

Just to clarify something please. If the Take on Helicopters-Arma 2 patch is applied, then the Huey medium helicopter or the MD-500 will still feel as it did in the TOH missions while playing online on Arma servers, right? But the rest will just be left as they were in Arma 2 game-play, correct? Or have my desires misguided me?:)

Just to clarify something please. If the Take on Helicopters-Arma 2 patch is applied, then the Huey medium helicopter or the MD-500 will still feel as it did in the TOH missions while playing online on Arma servers, right? But the rest will just be left as they were in Arma 2 game-play, correct? Or have my desires misguided me?:)
Unfortunately Rearmed is a one-way street, it's merging A2/OA content into TOH and not the other way around. Moreover:
Notes:
  • We cannot make all content compatible, so e.g. missions may not work well when running the data from TKOH (simply run OA or CO itself).
  • We are not upgrading old content to include TKOH features, such as the new getting animations, interactive cockpits, Picture-in-Picture, etc.
  • Old helicopters do not magically get a TKOH-spec flight model, so they will fly as in A2.

Disappointing to say the least... Whatever. Maybe online Rearmed action will increase now that summer is coming.

Nevertheless many thanks for the reply Chortles!!!

AiA has basic support for TKOH content in Arma 3 but with known issues.

However, if you're willing to use a more... "FrankenArma" method, then

. :D
Just for fun, I decided to copy pbos from my copy of Take On Helicopters into a new addon folder in Arma3 which I activated like any other mod or addon. I got a few errors and the sound didn't work for the wind noise, engine noise, impact sounds, etc., but a lot of stuff did work including turbulence, all of the controls, names in the editor, doors on the aircraft, and more. I was able to get the "ambient" boats from TOH into Arma3 too which was cool.
Note of course that things may not work the same after the stable patches that the Arma 3 alpha had gone through by now, and of course no one reading this thread should take anything here as condoning or endorsing redistribution of BI-made PBOs/content; everything here is about using users' owned copies of the games in question, in compliance with the official ground rules on forward-porting of BI's content, which should be taken as covering Take On Helicopters content as well. Edited by Chortles

Now that is more like it. AiA is a bit off but the second one... I mean it has bugs, but.... I watched the video and there were many problems but I am optimistic now that something will happen sooner or later. It would really be thrilling. I believe the reason that not so many people have tried to deal with these problems is due to the fact that not many people have fun by flying with choppers. Bohemia Interactive itself should take the initiative.

Another question which is a bit off but in the Arma issue is whether you can shoot with your primary weapon, such as an assault rifle, while sitting on a light or even a medium helicopter. Can you?

Thanks for the heads up anyways!:D

Another question which is a bit off but in the Arma issue is whether you can shoot with your primary weapon, such as an assault rifle, while sitting on a light or even a medium helicopter. Can you?

Thanks for the heads up anyways!:D

I'm afraid not in vanilla, although ShackTac Littlebird Enhancement Mod
this[/url] among other things in Arma 2; I make no guarantees as to whether any of it will work or not in Arma 3 when using All in Arma.

As far as

, I am not aware of anyone who has attempted to mod that in.