Sign in to follow this  
doogerie

what do you think about the game so far?

what do you think of the game  

157 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of the game

• Love it best Arma game yet
    • it's ok not as good as Arma2
    • I don't like it ARMA1 was better
    • This is my first Arma game

Looks great feels great sound is great, but the AI are hackers.

lol, I hate that they can sneak up on me just as easily as I can them!

OT,

The game is fine for me, content/performance/ ect. I've yet to have time and try AIA tho.

But for some to keep bitch'n ...plz get over it.

Mixed bag, AI could ruin it or save it. I can't tell am i already satisfied with current AI or not. Should test a lot more. I doubt it will improve much from this, because that i my experience with BIS.

So far i like it, but aiming and shooting is big problem.

Stances needs some amount of tweak. Firstly i'd like to see at which stance i am. Sitting is the worst because it makes player stationary, maybe replace it with high prone position or something which leaves player mobile. Maybe even eraze whole stance if there is no suitable alternative.

Driving seems horrible, but i don't care much about that stuff.

Fatigue meter would be nice.

Editor is seems nice and fresh.

I doubt it will improve much from this, because that i my experience with BIS.
The story of Arma. :lol:
Stances needs some amount of tweak. Firstly i'd like to see at which stance i am. Sitting is the worst because it makes player stationary, maybe replace it with high prone position or something which leaves player mobile. Maybe even eraze whole stance if there is no suitable alternative.
Right now the current solutions are third-person view or a stance indicator HUD mod; are you playing on first-person-only servers?
While I doubt that one is incoming, it seems that the encumbrance/weight meter in the Inventory menu is supposed to act like an indirect one... problem is, that means that you have to "go static" (by bringing up the Inventory menu, which takes at least a second) to tell 'exactly' how much your character is carrying -- something that he'd usually be able to immediately feel -- besides primary/launcher/chest rig/helmet/eyewear/NVGs.

For the AI complainers: It turns out that metalcraze has found an interesting issue that you should check out, try to reproduce, and upvote his ticket!

lol... and this proves exactly what i'm saying: A2 has contents, A3 doesn't have (almost) any (yet), you cannot compare the two. ;)

It doesn't prove a damn thing, apart from the probability that by "game" you're choosing to judge only by the content. I use ArmA 2 content - but with ArmA 3 units. I get better performance, better visuals, better AI activity, all around I get a better experience. And I get all this in ArmA 3 SO FAR. :)

ArmA2 is a 4 years old game (and even more if we consider the main issues we're having today), talking exclusively about the engine during this years they have optimized it, and so today we have a better engine (notice: this is true for A2:AO as well, it's not just about A3)... but having a better engine (than 4 years ago) is someway obvious, unless you're a bad developer and you're regressing rather than progressing!

Today we have the same old engine, that has been optimized but maintaining the same core, but that's no way enough to be aligned to the modern standards (see the other threads about the optimization).

So comparing the product we have today, even if it evolved, with what we had 4 years ago, it cannot be considered a success.. it's like (to repeat the same example as some previous posts) build a car, improve only the wheel, and then saying (after years): here's a better car! ...yes, it's better, but after 4 years I wouldn't expect you to improve the wheel only, but the whole damn car starting from the engine.

Your persistent analogy to just a car's wheels is both nonsensical and inaccurate. (As far as any analogy can be inaccurate.) I dislike these analogies as they allow the writer to devise a peculiar straw man that has no real bearing on anything in the topic.

By your own logics in this thread, as you're concerned mostly with content, and as ArmA 3 can actually perform, I should say we're commenting on engine + chassis + wheels. No bodywork or furnishings or extras yet. See that's my own straw man analogy.

someone here on the forum tested arma 2 content in arma 3 on the same spots with similar settings, and it performed worse. (that can be acceptable, but serves to disprove who says otherwise) considering arma 3 right now has way less content its expected to run better, but like arma 2, there was a big performance hit when the big island came about. well see then.

It doesn't displove any such thing, as my own observations are far more valid that "some guy's" :)

AI are better that's all, possibly more accurate too but you can affect that (I have). The main problem is that Altis isn't really the ideal AI testbed for the AI's improvements. I use the new units in Fallujah, a huge city, and even when I know for a fact that the enemy are (or at least start) in one area, I am constantly being surprised from behind. And, I'm liking what I see with my own units with respect to stances & covering etc.

Mixed bag, AI could ruin it or save it. I can't tell am i already satisfied with current AI or not. Should test a lot more. I doubt it will improve much from this, because that i my experience with BIS.

So far i like it, but aiming and shooting is big problem.

Driving seems horrible, but i don't care much about that stuff.

Editor is seems nice and fresh.

Agree with the stances visualisation point. I do have a nice stance indicator but it is a third party addon, however I regard it as essential. Fatigue meter might be good to enable players to manage their exertions more effectively, but I reckon the breathing is also an indicator.

And I get all this in ArmA 3 SO FAR. :)

The dumb poll options doesn't match with this vision, nor with the main question of the poll itself: if you were going to ask me just "what do you think about A3 so far?" .. I would reply with the same answer I gave to my first post: "good potential, but there's so much things to fix, if they'll fix them (starting from the performance) it could be a very good game; if they doesn't fix them it'll be a fail"; BUT if you're going to give to me some options like: "the best arma game.."; then I can only tell you that the option (along with the other given options) doesn't make sense at all, neither if would make sense to compare A3 in alpha with what was A2 in alpha back 4 years ago (!). So what's the purpose of this poll? It shouldn't be a poll at all, it should be only a discussion about the alpha, but hey there's like other 50 threads opened already with the same discussions!

By your own logics in this thread, as you're concerned mostly with content,

What? I'm NOT concerned about the contents, because you can add them easily whenever you want (it's a matter of time), I've talked about the contents as an example of why it doesn't make sense to compare this (alpha) game with a finished one. What i'm much concerned today is about the PERFORMACE and the VERY POOR OPTIMIZATION, but i'll wait the next months to see how it will evolves and if it will get addressed.

I sorta lol'd considering what was just shown about the ai.

It shouldn't be a poll at all, it should be only a discussion about the alpha

Unfortunately so far the thread seems mostly about you.

A+ sir :)

OT,

imho, the new inventory options & capacity slidebars with gear is by far my fav, I like seeing items such as bacpacks show it's current capacity before you pick them......................................

so far

It feels better than ARMA 2 even if its just alpha. (And that is NOT to say that arma 2 is bad its very good!)

I do I hope that the Chernarus map will be properly added for ARMA 3.

Like your post? :D

Hello there

There is a long long way to go IMHO, but I think all round the game will be the best of the series. My only gripe is the timeline it's set in, but hopefully there are things like AiA afoot to solve that for us "traditionalists".

Rgds

LoK

meh i guess its a good thing its bis and not ea or else the game would have gone gold by now with this thinking.

Originally Posted by Telkwa

Originally Posted by WalkerDown

AI are better that's all, possibly more accurate too but you can affect that (I have). The main problem is that Altis isn't really the ideal AI testbed for the AI's improvements. I use the new units in Fallujah, a huge city, and even when I know for a fact that the enemy are (or at least start) in one area, I am constantly being surprised from behind. And, I'm liking what I see with my own units with respect to stances & covering etc.

They are better but they are still hackers, their code is giving them an unfair advantage.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8204

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8226

Edited by Telkwa

The vote is too biased for my taste: I would say Arma3 is ok so far but it's still better than Arma2.

I think BIS repeated too many design flaws, instead of rethinking from scratch. Be it the AI control interface, voice acting or the overall handling which makes you feel you control a complicated robot instead of a human being that can run or breath without further notice.

Come on BIS, throw some new approaches at us! It's still alpha, if we don't like it you can still go back to the Arma2 ways.

The new movement system is the main reason I think it's better (for me); it's so much more fluid and 'natural'. Also performance seems better than with Arma2. I can't wait for more content in the future!

I think it's coming along real nice. I'm very impressed by the graphics and how smooth it runs even on my 5870 (and 4.2ghz, ssd). I've had a lot of fun in mp and messing around in the editor. Vast improvement overall from Arma2 so far.

My main grip atm is the vehicle handling - It needs improving. I'm sure BI will be able to make the vehicles feel nice with PhysX. It should feel sort of like driving in Mafia 2, or GTA imo.

Also the I think the AI is too accurate, I die too quickly which makes the game frustrating sometimes.

Edited by Zorg_DK

Performance still seems to be increasing nicely..

This is the first Arma I've played (not counting a horrible experience with the Arma2 demo) and so far the alpha is really fun. Even though it's still in alpha I'm surprised at how smoothly it runs. I've only had perhaps 2 instances of the game crashing in around 70 hours of game play.

Being new to the Arma series I found it easy to jump into some co-op play. The movement/stance controls are a bit complicated but once I set them up to my liking it's intuitive enough. I understand the basic principles of firearm ballistics and I like that Arma has a realistic ballistics model. Fatigue and kit selection is really fun to play with and I can't wait for the full compliment of small arms to become available. I appreciate the open-world nature to Arma3 and the freedom to select which course of action to take when in combat.

All-in-all even though this is still the alpha, I really enjoy Arma3 and look forward to the eventual full version release.

I'm fond of Arma since the first one released years ago, especially the modding community.

I really like my time ingame, I propably won't buy another game this year as I can only see things improving with new builds and new mods coming out!

Waiting the FPS fix since first days the day i can walk and play even alone on the bay after editing the map at 60fps rock solid i will like the game for now still waiting the fix

As far as things go the game is looking and feeling good. Its way too early to say its the best arma yet, or i think the other ones were better. Arma 3 has alot of great features which I personally have wanted for a while, such as scuba diving, and their seem to be way less bugs than when arma 2 came out. Arma1 will always be a classic and a great game at that, but Arma 3 seems to be the game that is going to draw alot of new players in, and diffenately going to creat alot of communeties to make great mods and mini games due to the large amount of new features, great graphics and updated game style.

This game has alot of potential and is deffinately heading in the right direction. I personaly have played since the very first arma (operation flashpoint) and own every arma game since then. But i think i will be waiting till the full game is released before I am able to give an oppinion.

My hopes though are deffinately up!!!