Sign in to follow this  
SAMstudios-3Dartist

How many modders will only stay with arma 2? And not start modding for arma 3?

There are people still modding exclusively for OFP. Some people just prefer it.

Yep :)

If A3 will be succefull theres no chance in hell that the modders will work on A2.

Who will they release the mods to?

They will either stop modding and fade away or join the A3 community.

Some of the modders in the Arma community really need to get down from their high horses.

Only matters if you assume the primary reason people make addons is to release them for an audience, not because they enjoy the experience of making said addons for themselves. :j:

If A3 will be succefull theres no chance in hell that the modders will work on A2.

Some of the modders in the Arma community really need to get down from their high horses.

OFP still has mods and missions released to this day the same with IFL, albeit a smaller community.

If anything people that come and to publically state something like "I'm refuse to blah blah next game because of blah blah" are just getting getting off on an attempt to bring attention to themselves. They want you to go and beg "oh please mr elite make my hello kitty army mod for arma 3" so they have the satisfaction of saying "okay mere human i will spend some of my time to make said mod for you". Otherwise they would have just not said anything.

To be honest the next time you see a "Im not going to be releasing anything for arma 3 because <insert stupid political statement here" you should just reply "and?" they probably had a one or two hit wonder and are no longer in the spot lite, hence the need to release some PR crap into the community.

While everyone is free to do what they want, I don't quite understand the "no arma 3" stance. I mean, it's the future of the series and it respects, while expanding, it's older brothers.

Everyone is entitled to do precisely what they want, no? One way or another, one might pass ArmA 3 without any reasons whatsoever.

There is no "no arma3" stance afaik.

sorry but what is the point of staying with A2 if A3 is all that and more?

We are debating here if modders would move over or not. For what reason, i don't know. But given that this is the topic of this thread, some members might have their own issues with the upcoming A3 (for some, it might simply be the lack of additional scripting commands and EHs, for others the lack of a proper Object Oriented scripting language or the fact that the game is set to 2035). Whatever the reasons, who is there to judge?

You are simply wrong. Case of point OFP.

Most addon makers i know (myself included since i know myself best) do NOT create addons to release them for other's people delight. There are other reasons.

Lol, who are you again?

you keep this attitude and i think i'll keep my horse.

OFP still has mods and missions released to this day the same with IFL, albeit a smaller community.

If anything people that come and to publically .......................anything for arma 3 because <insert stupid political statement here" you should just reply "and?" they probably had a one or two hit wonder and are no longer in the spot lite, hence the need to release some PR crap into the community.

People make addosn because they want to see their own shit in game, not be to worshipped on the forums.

Several "big name" modders have already stated that they will not be moving to/supporting A3. While it's a definite loss for the community, a new crop of extremely gifted and knowledgeable modders have also appeared. Interesting times.

Several big names also stated they would not purchase Arma 3 and yet in many cases we see otherwise so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by NodUnit

To be honest the next time you see a "Im not going to be releasing anything for arma 3 because <insert stupid political statement here" you should just reply "and?" they probably had a one or two hit wonder and are no longer in the spot lite, hence the need to release some PR crap into the community.

Tell us what you really think.. lol. In our case it's because many of our project members are burnt out and our project is very large for our small team, and the parameters for making assets that take advantage of all of the features of the new game is just too much. It is our design philosophy to take OFP and put it into the new game, but to take advantage of all the things that make the new game great. We just don't have the bandwidth to change everything. We announced this because we felt obligated to let our users know what our future plans are, not because we're fishing for compliments.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Horses rock.

I'm sort of wondering how this topic got into addon maker bashing without much input from addon makers at all. People are just looking to bash, I guess.

Several big names also stated they would not purchase Arma 3 and yet in many cases we see otherwise so take that with a grain of salt.

Heh - I did mention later that I wasn't naming names partly because they might change their minds! I suspect a lot of it was more of a kneejerk reaction to the bad information that was going around about Steam/Steamworks/etc.

A2 will be relevant for many years to come, regardless of A3's success.

Yeah! Who do they think they are, spending all of their free time and resources to create such an abundance of diverse content for the community, with no promise of compensation? Those bastards!

Speaking as both an addon-maker, and a long time community member, I can understand both sides of the coin when it comes to continuing (and in some cases not continuing) to make addons for the ArmA series. Some people have simply "burnt out" as Max Power mentioned, and simply don't wish to continue working on a game series they have given months and in many cases years of their lives to - their reasons are their own, and they should be respected for the hard work and free-time they have spent working on addons/mods for our enjoyment, not lambasted for calling time. I for one have been "re-awakened" so to speak back into the world of addon-making, having been mostly in the dark since releasing a unit pack for ArmA2 almost 2 years ago. I've still followed the developments of the community (as I'm sure many of the guys and gals who have announced they wont be working on ArmA3 addons will probably do the same), but didn't feel that same drive I once had for developing and working toward publicly releasing anything. Now that ArmA3 is here (well, the Alpha anyway), that drive has been re-ignited within me, just as it seems, it has dwindled in some other people. Also mentioned by a few of the guys posting replies before mine, yes it is sad to see these talented people call it a day, but lets not forget that there are still a lot of new addon makers coming onto the scene who may not have been around since OFP, but are still eager to contribute to the community by spending their free-time creating something for our use.

Ive played A2 for a while, and I figured I would start addon making in A3 just because of the ability to make certain items not complete units. SO far it is a serious learning curve but fellow addon makers help me out. The disturbing thing to me is the sense of entitlement from the public community. My own unit doesnt push so hard for things to be completed this community however feels like you owe them something. Just my 2 cents.

I think that with vehicles there isnt too much diference you can make it for arma2 and later add the specifics modifications to make it work in arma3, of course the quality standar seems high for arma3 and the lighting of A3 looks better over highpoly models

*snip*

Yep agree.

For me its a hobby, I do it primarily to be creative. Second is contributing something others might like. The "urge" comes and goes at times (along with free time).

But BIS has made it easy. If it was too hard/had to learn all new skills/knowledge, then maybe I wouldn't .... but I don't have too luckily.

And yes while some big names may go (for how long?) I can already see some new super talent coming in ....... and some others returning ;) ......

My 2 cents

Addon makers come n go all the time as with any new release of a game series. That's just the norm.

A few will quit entirely or stay with A2 and not mod for A3 for whatever reasons but new guys will always come along with A3.

Whatever the case ppl should just respect the decision of the addon makers as the time and effort spent working on addons will never be understood by many, especially those who do not create addons/mods and feel that addon makers owe them something.

If someone wants to stop making addons for A3 let them be. Whatever the reasons we should be happy these ppl gave their time and put some effort in.

If anything people that come and to publically state something like "I'm refuse to blah blah next game because of blah blah" are just getting getting off on an attempt to bring attention to themselves. They want you to go and beg "oh please mr elite make my hello kitty army mod for arma 3" so they have the satisfaction of saying "okay mere human i will spend some of my time to make said mod for you". Otherwise they would have just not said anything.

Yeah no wonder that modders stop modding things for people with an attitude like yours. Really my compliments. Why don't you just hop in and mod for ArmA instead of writing such nonsense. Sometimes I feel as the average IQ of some people has dropped to the center of earth. Pun intended.

If modders won't migrate to Arma 3 for whatever the reason you should at least respecting their decision instead of bashing them or is that asked too much?

Looking forward to see something released by you for the community.

Have a nice day.

Edited by nettrucker

I hate to say this but modding is becoming increasely and dramatically difficult to do. In order to make something above the status quo now days, especially with A3, it requires an extremely complex work flow. I'm not talking about retexturing BIS's stuff, I'm talking about extensive research and designing, 3d Max/Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop and other complex software with industry standard plugins (atleast $4,000 + investment), high poly to low poly with correct normal/height/AO/spec/dirt map projections for organic and inorganic models, complex manipulation of .psd files and material files, exporting/importing, model configuring, blah blah blah...

And it doesn't stop there. This ain't OFP anymore. Making addons work requires a great understanding of codeing and even scripting. Usually an artist can't script/program and a programmer/scripter can't make decent art.

In the end, a lot of stuff that's "expected" of modders goes beyond a basic video game art education and even some industry standards. Plus, for free?!?!?! Some stuff I've seen made would normally be anywhere from a $2,000 to $80,000 investment per seat and that's on the low end. And in their free times when they could be doing other fun stuff, like drinking beer and hanging out with friends.

Modders have a right to sit on their high horse! Or atleast to be sincerely thanked.

@Delta Hawk- maybe it's a way to thin out the herd? I absolutely agree with what you've stated above. One almost needs to form as a design TEAM to be able to accomplish anything before the next installment is released.

Whomever decides to stay, or the new people that decide to join, thanks to you all.

Just wanted to chime in here and state a hefty Thank You! to all the guys and gals that have been modding for us since OFP forward. I remember getting really hooked on OFP when I saw what CoC could do but then due to RL circumstances fell out of gaming entirely. Moved to the jungles of the Caribbean and started up again with BF2 and then realized I hated that sort of gaming and rebought OFP. Without any sort of dependable way to download the new enticing mods I was reading about -FFUR/WGL, a stranger on the forums from Germany went out of his way to mail me the CD filled to the brim with mods -twice (thanks Orlok!!!!) -and I knew this was the community for me.

It would take a lengthy prison sentence with a PC for me to be able to do 1/100 of what you guys do so again -thanks and I try to support thru donations when I can.

@Delta Hawk

While I agree that modding has become increasingly hard to do (at least if you want to make stuff that is on par with the BIS products of today), I have to humbly disagree that modders have any right to sit on their high horse and demand gratitude. However before you get all mad at me for saying that, understand that this goes both ways - the fanbase has no right to expect a damn thing from the modders either. I would much prefer a happy hobby community than the high strung caffeine fueled rage machine that this community produces from time to time, both from overly zealous modders who take things way to seriously, and from self-entitled fans who think the modders owe them something.

In short: Expect nothing and be happy when you get something.

Everyone is entitled to do precisely what they want, no? One way or another, one might pass ArmA 3 without any reasons whatsoever.

There is no "no arma3" stance afaik.

We are debating here if modders would move over or not. For what reason, i don't know. But given that this is the topic of this thread, some members might have their own issues with the upcoming A3 (for some, it might simply be the lack of additional scripting commands and EHs, for others the lack of a proper Object Oriented scripting language or the fact that the game is set to 2035). Whatever the reasons, who is there to judge?

You are simply wrong. Case of point OFP.

Most addon makers i know (myself included since i know myself best) do NOT create addons to release them for other's people delight. There are other reasons.

Lol, who are you again?

High Horse case in point.

I will more then likely move to Arma 3 when the full game comes out, maybe even some point in the beta. My reasons are I still have ideas floating about in my head based in Arma 2 and now have the resources to do these. (<3 you BIS man who gives me permission) and my computer can't run Arma 3 on anything nice looking to see if my work is in any way half decent.

To boldly venture into the side discussion of why people mod etc. I do because simply because I enjoy it, I may have different reasons regarding different addons as to why I'm doing that particular one. Lately I've been doing weapon packs that I feel fill a gap in Arma 2 that could have been nice to have in the vanilla game. Where as before it was an Irish mod because I wanted my nation and my fellow Irish players represented in ArmA and to learn addon making. But the enjoyment is the same no matter what.

EDIT: How about we all jump on our high horses, modders and non modders and take a nice ride on the beach at sunset?

Edited by Slatts

I'm with Slatts there, I won't be modding until A) I get a PC that can run it smooth. B) My texture/details are better & C) I have unfinished projects for ArmA2.

I hate to say this but modding is becoming increasely and dramatically difficult to do. In order to make something above the status quo now days, especially with A3, it requires an extremely complex work flow. I'm not talking about retexturing BIS's stuff, I'm talking about extensive research and designing, 3d Max/Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop and other complex software with industry standard plugins (atleast $4,000 + investment), high poly to low poly with correct normal/height/AO/spec/dirt map projections for organic and inorganic models, complex manipulation of .psd files and material files, exporting/importing, model configuring, blah blah blah...

And it doesn't stop there. This ain't OFP anymore. Making addons work requires a great understanding of codeing and even scripting. Usually an artist can't script/program and a programmer/scripter can't make decent art.

In the end, a lot of stuff that's "expected" of modders goes beyond a basic video game art education and even some industry standards. Plus, for free?!?!?! Some stuff I've seen made would normally be anywhere from a $2,000 to $80,000 investment per seat and that's on the low end. And in their free times when they could be doing other fun stuff, like drinking beer and hanging out with friends.

Modders have a right to sit on their high horse! Or atleast to be sincerely thanked.

While true on the amount of work required and the difficulty going up with each engine iteration, you are wrong on some parts as in software. While commercial software costs at least the amounts you have described, a lot of people here are either using edu licenses for autodesk, or have bought such a license for a completely different purpose (as in making money out of it). There are cheaper and free alternatives as well for the the expensive packages out there, as well as cheaper variants (blender, modo and lightwave comes to mind).

The problem is with expectancy and demanding rather than software costs (i can already tell you that very few are willing to shove 5000$ + 1500$ subscription per year for max or maya without making a profit return). No one here demanded gratitude, because most are doing this for themselves. But then again some expect some decency when it comes to comments (and there is a difference between feedback and bitching).

High Horse case in point.

i'll take that as a compliment.

@Delta Hawk

While I agree that modding has become increasingly hard to do (at least if you want to make stuff that is on par with the BIS products of today), I have to humbly disagree that modders have any right to sit on their high horse and demand gratitude. However before you get all mad at me for saying that, understand that this goes both ways - the fanbase has no right to expect a damn thing from the modders either. I would much prefer a happy hobby community than the high strung caffeine fueled rage machine that this community produces from time to time, both from overly zealous modders who take things way to seriously, and from self-entitled fans who think the modders owe them something.

In short: Expect nothing and be happy when you get something.

precisely.

Personally I'm a brand new modder and I've recently been playing around with some small things just for fun. I started making them for A2 but soon switched to A3 because it looks and runs better (even on my laptop), and why not!? I've made a pistol, a very basic (and unusual) island, some bunkers and rocks. I'm using all open source tools (blender, GIMP) so my cost has been $0 even if the stuff I'm producing looks a teensy bit terrible :)