Sign in to follow this  
SAMstudios-3Dartist

How many modders will only stay with arma 2? And not start modding for arma 3?

As the topic says. So how many of you will stay modding for arma 2 or continue on to arma 3 or both.

Edited by Zsalheden

When its a full game, i think you will see alot of more addon makers moving over. Until its more stable, i won't be moving over yet.

Yes I think so to. Our team is only working behind the scene right now. So we will not release anything either from full game is released.

I'm in the process of creating an entirely new large map for ARMA3.

I'm in the process of creating an entirely new large map for ARMA3.

Nice how is that working with the old tools? are you make new houses or using arma 3 objects?

Several "big name" modders have already stated that they will not be moving to/supporting A3. While it's a definite loss for the community, a new crop of extremely gifted and knowledgeable modders have also appeared. Interesting times.

Several? I've heard of one.

Nice how is that working with the old tools? are you make new houses or using arma 3 objects?

Hi man,

Right now I'm concentrating on simply doing each necessary object to build up the library for the island so am not using any old tools although I've successfully got one test house into ARMA3 fine:

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_02.png

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_03.png

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_04.png

So going by this, I don't forsee any major problems using the old tool for now. But, by the time I've finished all major objects and start on the actual terrain, I'm hoping we'll know a bit more about the new toolset..? ;)

Xeno made his stance pretty clear. As for the others, I won't speak for them (besides, maybe they'll change their minds). Their posts regarding this are scattered across the forums here. IIRC, most came to this decision as a result of the Steam requirement, which I find a little silly, but to each his own.

It is too bad, but again, we have seen an influx of impressive new talent already. Not to mention all of the modders that are moving on to A3.

Of course I'm moving some of my old stuff and some new stuff to ArmA3. BIS made is almost too easy.

But more so once the proper tools are released, and I can sleep at night knowing the models are not quite ArmA3 standard ..... by telling myself its not always a high poly count and uber textures that make a good addon ;)

I was only going to work on addons for arma 3 but when the alpha was released and it offered an all new unit customization system i changed to arma 3 only

My work will be explicitly for A3. I have no plans on any new projects for A2. A2 has been a kind, loving girlfriend, but her sister is way hotter and I must attend to that now.........

CWR2 stated they/we won't be doing an arma 3 version, but I don't think that means that all of the modders involved in the project will stop producing work for either game. Some will, some won't, I think.

It is too bad, but again, we have seen an influx of impressive new talent already. Not to mention all of the modders that are moving on to A3.
And as we've also seen, although this one may be a byproduct of Arma's newfound more-mainstream popularity or of "the times we live in", we've also had a seemingly more public emphasis on disseminating that modding knowledge, from Editor tutorials to outright livestreaming the creation of in-game weapons.

you should have made a poll in this thread..

While everyone is free to do what they want, I don't quite understand the "no arma 3" stance. I mean, it's the future of the series and it respects, while expanding, it's older brothers.

As for the Steam requirement, I don't see the issue there. I mean, the Steam platform (workshop, server, etc) is perfect for Arma and you don't even have to be online for it if you don't want to. To each his own of course but among the various "DRMs" (which are often something required by the people with the funding, don't forget them), one could easily argue that Steam is among the least intrusive and it offers various community features that are great for games like ARMA. Once they fix the various memory leaks, especially when in minimized mode, it'll be quite efficient.

sorry but what is the point of staying with A2 if A3 is all that and more?

I moved all development over towards A3. Otherwise it would be the same programming for Windows XP.

I hope that many will, over time, change their minds and eventually come over. Using Steam has not been anywhere near as bad as painted at first, so maybe those that had problems in the past with Steam can have another look at it, seems pretty good to me, past problems may be just that 'past'.

I only came on Steam for A3, like many others, at first I thought the mod handling is going to be a problem, but really its exactly the same as A2, which is really easy anyway.

There will be many new mod/addon makers coming in over the next few year's, I would think, so hopefully its still going to be a modders paradise.;).

Really, aside from initial setting up & the occasional updating, my Steam experience is minimal. Of course I don't like that the licensing is controlled by a large faceless (and ultimately compassionless) entity, but it's not been too bad so far.

Of course, about 3 years ago I hade my Steam account hijacked, someone else owned it for a while. Valve did get it me back, but all my stats had changed and I was without access for the duration (about a week).

As just a point of clearance, I hope there is no confusion caused from the ARMA III and Steam Workshop thread. A number of addon makers said they wouldn't use it if it was an option (but not that they'd necessarily stop modding for ARMA 3).

I imagine the difference was already clear, but just in case it wasn't :)

While everyone is free to do what they want, I don't quite understand the "no arma 3" stance.

There are people still modding exclusively for OFP. Some people just prefer it.