Sign in to follow this  
bad benson

Enhanced movement and more

Even more awesome? AI sneaking up on you and knifing you. But, yeah, that's wishful thinking for now :P

Oh god no....I suck as it is. Then to have the humiliation of being knifed by the AI too? I'd end up in the fetal position under my desk, sobbing uncontrollably. :p

this mod will add a whole new dimension to the game! sounds very good Bad Benson :D i like your style (Ninja style that is)!

Oh god no....I suck as it is. Then to have the humiliation of being knifed by the AI too? I'd end up in the fetal position under my desk, sobbing uncontrollably. :p

hahaha. Looking forward to it even more! If Arma 3 can do that to you, definitely GOTY!

Actually, my question regarding the AI scaling walls, is probably not within BBs otherwise mighty reach. Probably hardwired into the AI how they treat walls. So Yokhanan, no worries !

(not that I would mind being proven wrong:) )

well the thing is that they are actually doing the opposite by default, which is trying to get around walls. so i'd have to either force them to do it or mess with their path finding. and frankly i don't think it's worth the hassle. i don't see it being possible to implement it in a way that isn't weird and really adds something to the game. i mean i would basically have to make them do something they are not made for and frankly i'm not interested in making them even less effective in CQC than they already are.

something i can see myself implementing is an AI command for knifing so you can order your squad members to stab someone. that's something i will try to do. but even that i can't imagine ever being practical with the current AI. it's really made for long range. but yea i thought about it;)

It would be great if you could remove the original long reverb tail when inside

the thing is that i play the reverb on top of the normal gunshot. in fact the reverb version doesn't have the long reverb. i already tried some stuff but i'd have to make the guns have no shot sound at all and then handle everything via script which would also mean that i'd have to script all gunshots. too much traffic for a simple sound effect. right now i only give close units indoors a reverb besides the player to keep it simple. this for me is just a little detail and it sounds great to me already. for a more detailed simulation i suggest you go tell tpM to finally release A.C.S.E. and stop teasing us with videos of it :p

Edited by Bad Benson

the thing is that i play the reverb on top of the normal gunshot. in fact the reverb version doesn't have the long reverb. i already tried some stuff but i'd have to make the guns have no shot sound at all and then handle everything via script which would also mean that i'd have to script all gunshots. too much traffic for a simple sound effect. right now i only give close units indoors a reverb besides the player to keep it simple. this for me is just a little detail and it sounds great to me already. for a more detailed simulation i suggest you go tell tpM to finally release A.C.S.E. and stop teasing us with videos of it :p

That's what I figured. Between tpM and Lord Jarhead, I'm sure we'll have a replacer at some point, but at least until then, this is a great improvement.

it would be awesome to see an assist system (as in, another soldier can give you a boost and help pull you over.) this would especially help when loaded with a lot of gear. furthermore, details such as passing your firearm to your teammate before climbing would be excellent.

Would it be possible to allow the player to attach the knife to their gun and use it as a bayonet, perhaps through the muzzle attachment? Would be nice to have the capability to do melee without dropping your gun, even if it takes a few stabs to kill someone.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the problem right, but one solution I'd suggest would be to actually change all of the guns' shot sound to a clean, dry and without reverb/reflection (which they currently have), and then add the reflection on top in the exact same way you do this with the interior shot, but for exterior shots. It's kinda like Battlefield does it at least.

Basically what I mean is: shot sound=dry shot + gun mechanism + environment-specific reflection (interior/exterior or even if possible different for a forest, open field, desert, urban, etc.).

If someone could create the script to detect the environment and apply the sound, I might actually attempt to make it work sound-wise.

Would it be possible to allow the player to attach the knife to their gun and use it as a bayonet, perhaps through the muzzle attachment? Would be nice to have the capability to do melee without dropping your gun, even if it takes a few stabs to kill someone.

i already have a working bayonet. still thinking about damage though. i don't want it to be one shot kill. but then it's kinda like "what's the point?". still thinking about it.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the problem right, but one solution I'd suggest would be to actually change all of the guns' shot sound to a clean, dry and without reverb/reflection (which they currently have), and then add the reflection on top in the exact same way you do this with the interior shot, but for exterior shots. It's kinda like Battlefield does it at least.

Basically what I mean is: shot sound=dry shot + gun mechanism + environment-specific reflection (interior/exterior or even if possible different for a forest, open field, desert, urban, etc.).

If someone could create the script to detect the environment and apply the sound, I might actually attempt to make it work sound-wise.

the problem isn't the player shooting. it's all of the other units. once i remove something from the gun by default i'll have to handle that via my script for every single unit. running code on top of the engine isn't as easy as you might think. sure i could do that but it would effect performance a lot.

another problem is that i have to use "playsound" to make the sound play immediately. this also means that i can only play the sound at the player's position though (for every shot that is fired and heard by the player). commands like playsound3d and say3d don't have the possibility to be played immediately (afk). they will wait for the gunshot sound to be finished.

if you have code that does what you describe feel free to share...speculating about solutions without having them tested doesn't help me much. i already did quite a few tests with removing sounds all together and replacing them as you might imagine. but thx:p

and as i said before. this is a minor feature to me that i made just for fun. google A.C.S.E. and pester the maker to release it, if you want a complex sound simulation. or better yet BI for adding something like that to the engine. as you can see i have a lot of other features on my list that need care so consider this one low priority.

of course i'm still testing stuff but don't expect it to be my main focus. i wanna keep it clean to it runs well in any mission.

Edit: i actually just had an idea...investigasting....;)

i made some tests with a workaround so i can use say3d. but it seems say3d has a fixed range or i have to set the range somewhere. looks promising but is still highly experimental.

Edited by Bad Benson

i already have a working bayonet. still thinking about damage though. i don't want it to be one shot kill. but then it's kinda like "what's the point?". still thinking about it.

the problem isn't the player shooting. it's all of the other units. once i remove something from the gun by default i'll have to handle that via my script for every single unit. running code on top of the engine isn't as easy as you might think. sure i could do that but it would effect performance a lot.

another problem is that i have to use "playsound" to make the sound play immediately. this also means that i can only play the sound at the player's position though (for every shot that is fired and heard by the player). commands like playsound3d and say3d don't have the possibility to be played immediately (afk). they will wait for the gunshot sound to be finished.

if you have code that does what you describe feel free to share...speculating about solutions without having them tested doesn't help me much. i already did quite a few tests with removing sounds all together and replacing them as you might imagine. but thx:p

and as i said before. this is a minor feature to me that i made just for fun. google A.C.S.E. and pester the maker to release it, if you want a complex sound simulation. or better yet BI for adding something like that to the engine. as you can see i have a lot of other features on my list that need care so consider this one low priority.

of course i'm still testing stuff but don't expect it to be my main focus. i wanna keep it clean to it runs well in any mission.

Edit: i actually just had an idea...investigasting....;)

i made some tests with a workaround so i can use say3d. but it seems say3d has a fixed range or i have to set the range somewhere. looks promising but is still highly experimental.

Do you mean that it would work for the player and his gun but not for the other units?

But then, it makes me wonder how did LJ manage to make the game play a different sound for different distance, as well as play the mechanism sound in 1p and not play it in 3p. And the interior sound.

If you mean that there would be a problem with the reflections for other units in a directional manner, there might be another way. If you could manage to get something like LJ did that plays different sound for different distance, that would be it. No playing anything on top of anything, but just playing a single far-off-shot sample.

Moreover, it's worth noting that how Battlefield (and how it's in real life) handles it is that the reflection of all other shots is actually dependent on where you are. For example if you're in a building, and there are some shots outside, you will still hear an indoor reflection. Which basically means that you'd only have to handle what player hears, and not what other players play.

Or might be done the more manual way, which would mean simply adding the reflection to a shot's audio file, and creating a shot sound for every environment. This would make it play only one sound at once, and nothing on top of it.

i'm pretty sure that in JSRS sounds are played on top of the gun shot sound.

i found another way though of handling the sound so i have a distance system in place now that is pretty similar to the one that JSRS uses (didn't check out their code but the results are similar). not sure if i'll try to get rid of the reverb though since that would mean that i'd have to edit every gun shot sound to remove it. and i don't really plan on going that deep at the moment.

Moreover, it's worth noting that how Battlefield (and how it's in real life) handles it is that the reflection of all other shots is actually dependent on where you are. For example if you're in a building, and there are some shots outside, you will still hear an indoor reflection. Which basically means that you'd only have to handle what player hears, and not what other players play.

Or might be done the more manual way, which would mean simply adding the reflection to a shot's audio file, and creating a shot sound for every environment. This would make it play only one sound at once, and nothing on top of it.

you don't seem to know how these things are achieved in arma. it's not as easy as you think. battlefield 3 has an inbuilt sound system that handles these things on an engine level. in arma you have to mod stuff like that on top of the limited system of the game. so you will have to apply event handlers that run additional code everytime a shot is fired.

as i said if you have tested methods feel free to share. but i don't need you to tell me how other games/mods do it. i'm aware of those.

I remember RO2 did it where you had to hold down the button for a melee before it would cause a one-shot kill. One other thing that could be done would be to somehow mess with the target's ability to aim, i.e. ragdolling them for a fraction of a second, rotating them a little bit, or something along those lines.

Great to hear that you have a bayonet working, could you please show a screenshot of it on the various arma 3 weapons? Would be esp. interested in seeing it on the MX and katiba.

i'm pretty sure that in JSRS sounds are played on top of the gun shot sound.

i found another way though of handling the sound so i have a distance system in place now that is pretty similar to the one that JSRS uses (didn't check out their code but the results are similar). not sure if i'll try to get rid of the reverb though since that would mean that i'd have to edit every gun shot sound to remove it. and i don't really plan on going that deep at the moment.

you don't seem to know how these things are achieved in arma. it's not as easy as you think. battlefield 3 has an inbuilt sound system that handles these things on an engine level. in arma you have to mod stuff like that on top of the limited system of the game. so you will have to apply event handlers that run additional code everytime a shot is fired.

as i said if you have tested methods feel free to share. but i don't need you to tell me how other games/mods do it. i'm aware of those.

You probably misunderstood me. I'm not trying to teach you anything or force you to anything. Yes, I have almost no experience with modding sound in ArmA nor how it's engine works. But I'm just trying to help you and suggest something, perhaps a workaround or another solution, based on what I learned about how does Frostbite engine handle it. I'm just trying to offer my help here.

Another thing is - those thing have been proven to more or less work in ArmA2, so there must be a way to make it work here too. It is said that the EAX is responsible for handling this in many games, but Battlefield BC/3 gets it without it, so it might use some other kind of a way that might work for ArmA. As far as I remember, it was one of FB's features that was doing some stuff to the sound that allowed for that. But then again, I remember that in ArmA2 the speed of sound also mattered (difference in distance resulted in different times between seeing the explosion and hearing it) so the sound engine may after all not limit stuff like that so much. But, again, I'm not sure of anything with this engine at all so excuse me if this is wrong.

it's all good it's just a matter of how far i want to push this. i don't need to be proven that any of those things are possible. i know and love JSRS. there just has been a lot of work and testing put into it and i frankly just don't have the time right now to try to fully research how to emulate it. also i'm just a one man team and i'm also helping others with their projects so i can't really afford to concentrate to much on sound tweaks. i gotta help thedog to push out our arp_objects release first and i also have lots of other features i need to finish.

but don't worry the "playsound" limitation has already been removed. i remembered i method i used before to make sounds play properly with say3d. so the problem described before isn't existing anymore. i'll do my best to make this awesome and i already put way to much time into it today ;)

as i said there is a more complex system for other units now and it seems to be ok performance wise. still remains an experiment though. i can always roll back to my initial simpler version. but it seems some people are interested in this especially, so i'll try to develop it more. stay tuned for some demo vids.

Bad the indoor sounds sound great so far!

And applaus to implement a melee attack! Although obvisouly the animations need some work still;)

Rename yourself to "Great" Benson!

Wonderful work. Any chance of an animation to drop your rifle to your chest in a sling when you pull your side arm?

^^ This...I don't like how the soldier puts the weapon on his back to take out his pistol....most soldiers get issued tac/3 point-slings now a days

Also, back to wall and blind fire would be sick. Maybe smookie can help you out since he did it for A2...and if I'm not mistaken he did the animations for A3

looking forward to this release... looks like it will help cut the edge off of the movement a little... its better than ARMA 2 but still needs some help.

how it goes?

i'm fine. and you? :p

Anymore news on this script guy's?.

it's just me :)

ok, i'll try to address some questions since i haven't posted anything in a while.

i won't be fixing any BI fuck ups (sorry no offense, loving the game:p). so yea the title might be misleading to some people. i'm not enhancing the movement system of the game. i know some people compared this to SMK. but it's nothing like it. i'm not even touching most of the stuff smookie did in that. no shooting from cover or anything.

the focus of the enhanced movement part of this mod is to give the player a new axis of movement. UP.

i'm concentrating on mostly on climbing. yes i added a new further jump but only when i realized, once i climbed up on a roof, that it would be nice to now be able to jump onto the roof of the house next to me.;) i also "enhanced" the way the player falls and how he will react on impact. also after using my own addon and being really annoyed at the way it is by default.

i will probably expand this more in the future with stuff like sliding down ladders, rolling sideways into cover and other small useful features. but again. this is not an overhaul or an attempt to "fix" the game. ain't nobody got time for dat! :p

i'm sorry i didn't post any updates lately but i'm always getting distracted by new ideas. so eventually (maybe) there will be a small module to make interaction with the game world more smooth (doors, vehicles etc). but i'm waiting to see what other people working on similar stuff will come up with. i'm basically playing around with everything that interests me. i'm still pretty new to sqf so there's lots of stuff to explore. and some of it will eventually make it into this addon pack

so the first release will probably only consist of:

- climbing

- weapon resting and real bipods (and other attachment related goodies ;))

after i got that part released as a first alpha i'll that off my chest for a bit and can finish up my melee system.

i generally prefer to be more private with my modding stuff because that way it stays fun and i don't have to deal with so much requests and complaints and forum shizz in general. but i'm gonna make a new video of the current state of climbing today and post it here. it's basically done and working but there is still a cosmetic problem where climbing from sprint and run will cause clipping. so i'm trying to get that fixed for the first release. other than that it's fully functional.

so basically it's a single context sensitive button that will help you get over obstacles and onto stuff.

stay tuned!