Sign in to follow this  
bad benson

Enhanced movement and more

this is just a quick showcase of some features my upcoming mod will include.

i have no name for it since it's basically just a mix of stuff i want in the game without having to use several mods or depending on mission scripts or certain game modes.

list of features:

- context sensitive climbing

- basic melee

- ability to load objects into vehicles for transport

- prisoner handling: cuffing etc.

- reverb for gunshots inside buildings

- consumption of food/water

...there might be more but later on.

the plan is to expand on the game's features and open it up for more mission possibilities while keeping it all simple, straight forward and modular. that means every feature can be disabled or altered using parameters (for example hunger and thirst or fatigue).

here are some quick videos to show climbing, knife take down and indoor gun reverb. the knife will need aiming and several stabs if you attack frontal. the attack in the video can only be performed when approaching from behind. i might even add a "knowsabout" check since the AI has horrible reflexes up close.

climbing

knife

reverb

Wow, awesome stuff so far!

Climbing looks awesome! Reverb sounds great! The knife animation is still clumpy, but it's WIP. Awesome! May I adress my 2c? Make an Animation from switching to knife from your weapon. E.g. the weapon gets hung around with a sling and you'll take out the knife out of its pocket. It should take a few seconds... This will prevent Knife-and-run.

Keep it up!

Nice! Except for the grunt the soldier makes... lol. I'd say find a sound of a throat being sliced, add a little gurgling, and that'll be just fine.

I’m a little surprised with smk working indoors now, so as to speak, that the smk climbing wasn’t in the standard game, but yours here looks great.

The knife work is, well, wow! and so is the sound.

Good luck and will be following eagerly your progress..:D

i need you to make me an animation where the soldier drops to a knee and holds up a diamond ring... this is happening. great, great work my friend

Wooo, nice work...

But I think soldier climb walls a little bit too fast, it's sure they are train for that, but they carry heavy equipements too.

you can't climb like that if you carry too much. it's all fatigue and loud based. the soldier performing the moves in the video has no heavy equipment on him...

you can't climb like that if you carry too much. it's all fatigue and loud based. the soldier performing the moves in the video has no heavy equipment on him...

Awesome! Does that mean, say a soldier carrying quite a bit--like a light machinegunner--will go up and over much more slowly and more fatigued? I remember watching a video of some Canadian soldiers and the poor M240 gunner had one hell of a time getting up and over some of the walls (not above-height walls, but tall enough to need to do the ol' "alley-oop!" up and over after handing off his M240).

Anyways, really impressive stuff Mr. Benson. I'll certainly look forward to using this upon release. :) Great job so far, mate!

Wonderful work. Any chance of an animation to drop your rifle to your chest in a sling when you pull your side arm?

Are there any plans to include some teamwork buddy system for climbing? Otherwise it feels a bit like you'll just get the bad out of heavy equipment, and not the good in the solution to it by means of helping someone up on the wall, etc.

Every feature looks and sounds amazing! The climbing looks flawless, the knifing animation is a little stiff, the reverb is good!

Good work!

Nice mod , but climbing should be much slower - soldiers with 20/30kg gear can't climb fast like a cat :D

Nice mod , but climbing should be much slower - soldiers with 20/30kg gear can't climb fast like a cat :D
Aaaaand you completely missed the part where the modder said that the soldier in the video had no such gear to slow him down. ;)

Aaaaand you completely missed the part where the modder said that the soldier in the video had no such gear to slow him down. ;)

But still it looks too fast

Presumably the soldier didn't have any fatigue level (even with the fatigue system implemented) because he just wasn't tired...

this animation is used for walls of houses. since there are no handles or stuff to hold onto on most of those walls i had to make it a wall run kind of thing. i already had it much slower but it looks weird since the character will have grip on the wall for no reason. it's an action that requires you to have momentum so it makes more sense. all these higher climbs be it over or on top of stuff require speed a limited load and low fatigue.

if you look right at the end of my older video you will see me go prone and rest before i do the final jump because i'm already out of breath

i'll be honest though. i won't try to go full realism since the fatigue system of the game is not complex enough to rely on it. there is no long term fatigue and i certainly won't limit my system to a degree that it becomes unusable just to make it super realistic. why add climbing if you can barely use it? just to make it clear again though. having a full backpack and a rocket launcher will have a huge impact. you won't be able to do high climbs and your climbs over small walls will be limited by fatigue and slower.

what i'm still tweaking is speed changes within the animation itself. that means i will try to add slowing down to when the character has a grip on the top of the obstacle and then make him pull himself up quickly after that, if that makes any sense ;) it's hard to do and will take some time to get it right, but i think what i got here is a good base that already doesn't look too crazy.

That looks great! Keep it up

By the way, will it affect AI as well as the player character - and will they consider scaling walls in stead of going around ?

Edited by Old_Painless

This looks wonderful mate! Props to you. Looking forward to seeing it ingame.

Keep up the good work!

That looks great! Keep it up

By the way, will it affect AI as well as the player character - and will they consider scaling walls in stead of going around ?

Can you imagine this ??? Totally Awesome if possible. You think you are safe behind a wall and over comes an AI and flanks you! Gizztastic !

It would be great if you could remove the original long reverb tail when inside, but I have no idea what that would involve. Regardless, this is all stellar work, Benson!

This looks wonderful mate! Props to you. Looking forward to seeing it ingame.

Keep up the good work!

Can you imagine this ??? Totally Awesome if possible. You think you are safe behind a wall and over comes an AI and flanks you! Gizztastic !

Well, technically that's not a flank... but, yeah, that would be pretty awesome. Even more awesome? AI sneaking up on you and knifing you. But, yeah, that's wishful thinking for now :P