1 hour ago, LordJarhead said:

That was not my point. It had no good impact/result on the sounds, so why the update?

Making new formulas that work might be easy for you, but that will probably stop newcomers from entering the modding scene as it seems to complicated ... but what ever, that's just my opinion. 

Let's hope that they'll update the documentation at some point.

We're getting very close to the release of the DLC and the SPG-9's firing sound is still broken. Judging by the sound, the reverb/tail end of the shot is working, but the actual report is not for some reason. This isn't a case of it just sounding bad; it sounds incomplete.

I dug through the config a little, and while I'm not really into the modding side of things or very familiar with this, it looks like the SPG-9 is configured to use the exact same sounds as the MAAWS, which mostly makes sense given that they're both recoilless rifles. Everything looks roughly correct to me, except for one thing that's a little odd; a closeShot4_SoundShader that's defined for the SPG-9 but not for the MAAWS. This shader uses the odd-looking sample "A3\Sounds_F_Tank\arsenal\weapons\Launchers\MRAWS\add", which doesn't seem to be an wss file based on playSound3d. Any config hackers out there can feel free to chime in, but maybe this is why the SPG-9's firing sound is broken?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 28.3.2018 at 8:17 PM, LordJarhead said:

That was not my point. It had no good impact/result on the sounds, so why the update?

Making new formulas that work might be easy for you, but that will probably stop newcomers from entering the modding scene as it seems to complicated ... but what ever, that's just my opinion. 

I'll try to get the macros available to the public. The configs look like a mess and it's confusing as Fk without knowing the macro. Though honestly, I had a look at the macro a few months ago and didn't understand crap either. I'll try to get them, document & release them.

• Like 3

The MAAWS sounds really need some fixing. Currently they sound like a spud gun. :D

• Like 2

1.82 has some serious issues with vehicle sounds over distance. particularly MBTs which should be audible from 2 kilometers away RL, are barely audible in Game currently. Well, except for the sound of the road tires... yes that's the problem, instead of squeeking tracks we get the sound of a truck rolling over ground but no engine sound.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, Beagle said:

1.82 has some serious issues with vehicle sounds over distance. particularly MBTs which should be audible from 2 kilometers away RL, are barely audible in Game currently. Well, except for the sound of the road tires... yes that's the problem, instead of squeeking tracks we get the sound of a truck rolling over ground but no engine sound.

On page 94 I replied regarding this issue. 

Done a lot of testing on it.

It is a shame. The only way to get that real immersion is Jsrs combined with laxxmans soundscape mod. Unfortunately you are really limited then what servers you can play on. 

Vanilla just doesn't come anywhere close to it imo. 

here are some tests showing how the distance sounds in vanilla are lacking. As you can hear with the Jsrs the Immersion is increased dramatically. it translates into actually being able to  plan a proper reaction to the tank be that engaging it, location and planning another route.  in vanilla the tank can seemingly appear out of nowhere and cut  down your squad before you even knew it was there. 

lazy vids but you get the picture.

On 14.4.2018 at 12:43 PM, teabagginpeople said:

On page 94 I replied regarding this issue. 

Done a lot of testing on it.

It is a shame. The only way to get that real immersion is Jsrs combined with laxxmans soundscape mod. Unfortunately you are really limited then what servers you can play on. 

Vanilla just doesn't come anywhere close to it imo. 

here are some tests showing how the distance sounds in vanilla are lacking. As you can hear with the Jsrs the Immersion is increased dramatically. it translates into actually being able to  plan a proper reaction to the tank be that engaging it, location and planning another route.  in vanilla the tank can seemingly appear out of nowhere and cut  down your squad before you even knew it was there. 

lazy vids but you get the picture.

Even tnat sound mod is, much to silent. Add to this that most MBT sound a lot louder from the rear or sides, depending on Exhaust layout, then when approching from the front. But even from 1km away you can clearly recognize an approchi ng tank, even from behind a hill. There is o way to "sneak in" with a twin turbocharged Diesel monster of 47 Liter displacement. not even at 30km/h. The vibrations alone are recognizable at 30km/h from inside a building when they drive along.

I thought directionality of sound for ground vehicles was a feature that was beeing worked on?

58 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Even tnat sound mod is, much to silent. Add to this that most MBT sound a lot louder from the rear or sides, depending on Exhaust layout, then when approching from the front. But even from 1km away you can clearly recognize an approchi ng tank, even from behind a hill. There is o way to "sneak in" with a twin turbocharged Diesel monster of 47 Liter displacement. not even at 30km/h. The vibrations alone are recognizable at 30km/h from inside a building when they drive along.

Woah, do you mean IRL or in-game?

Certain tanks IRL are most definitely designed with visual, IR and audio "camouflage" in mind.

I quote one of my friends and ex-tanker: "When I first heard a Puma, I thought it was across a field driving behind some trees, but it was in fact just 50m away around a bend of the road."

So yeah, certain vehicles most definitely aren't that loud at all, ofcourse older vehicles like what most of arma's MBTs are based off don't have much of this tech, but the kamysh might.

But the MBTs are much more quiet from the front/sides than you think, so "sneaking up" is actually possible, though ofcourse not like a spec ops soldier eliminating sentries.

3 hours ago, scavenjer said:

Woah, do you mean IRL or in-game?

Certain tanks IRL are most definitely designed with visual, IR and audio "camouflage" in mind.

I quote one of my friends and ex-tanker: "When I first heard a Puma, I thought it was across a field driving behind some trees, but it was in fact just 50m away around a bend of the road."

So yeah, certain vehicles most definitely aren't that loud at all, ofcourse older vehicles like what most of arma's MBTs are based off don't have much of this tech, but the kamysh might.

But the MBTs are much more quiet from the front/sides than you think, so "sneaking up" is actually possible, though ofcourse not like a spec ops soldier eliminating sentries.

I served in an armoured reconnaissance batallion. The light recon platoon consisted of "Luchs" while the heavy fire support Platoon consisted of Leopard II A4. Later while working for KMW I saw a lot of the Puma and while it is not as loud as a Leopard II, it is still far from silent. There is only a limited amount of what you can do to silence such big engines without bulky external mufflers (that indeed existed). But at full power 95 Decibel are the norm, even for the Puma. The Leopard II had 120 Decibel inside and also 120 direct at the exhaust. If was literally deafening. Communication inside is and was only possible with throad microphone and headset. In fact even in the M113 a normal conversation was impossible. In the wheeled vehicles like the "Fuchs" there was no issue and the "Luchs" was from the outside as silent as an average family Car, but also very loud from  the inside.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x3kj said:

I thought directionality of sound for ground vehicles was a feature that was beeing worked on?

I remember this too. Then there was radio silence.  I wasn't sure if what I interpreted as directional sound improvements was indeed as above. Being able to hear a vehicle more than 300 meters away or something else. 

In the jsrs mod you can hear the tank over 1k away( better than video above obvious quality issues)  and tell when it is behind a hill what direction. Vanilla as you see very short distance,  has no transition. just pops in at 300m and very oddly like an ATV on gravel road then pops out at 300..   

@Beagle well yes, but you were specifically talking about things away from the player and from the front.

Inside and behind where the sound gets directed to ofcourse it's much louder.

I've heard 2A4s from close distance and you can really tell when they point their back or front at you.

From the front they're not much louder than your average truck, from the back...  

Wellyeah, they're deafening.

I can only talk about T55, T72 och BMPs in RL and the T's can be heard very far. I remember the first time I tried to locate them I misjudged so much and thought they were just a few 100m away from me. But that's oldfashion combustion engines.

Hey guys,been a while.. just dropped in to say i love the sound quality improvement.love the tails sytsem aswell.Well done .:)

On 4/17/2018 at 2:22 PM, scavenjer said:

@Beagle well yes, but you were specifically talking about things away from the player and from the front.

Inside and behind where the sound gets directed to ofcourse it's much louder.

I've heard 2A4s from close distance and you can really tell when they point their back or front at you.

From the front they're not much louder than your average truck, from the back...  

Wellyeah, they're deafening.

Right now the issue is that you hear the rumble of gravel under the tracks before you hear the tracks or the engine. We have a serious sound issue here. Any of the vehicles should be audible 500m away, but thats not the case.

Audio team. Are there any plans to get at least the vehicles audio corrected before finishing up on Arma3. 

Some informations would be appreciated.

I was creating a scenario while in dev branch and discovered that there is an issue with no audio from this low flyby I created:

I wasn't running any mods and I tested it on stable branch as well with the same results. I think the issue arises when the aircraft is moving faster than mach 1 since I could hear the jet when I set it to move at "limited" speed but not at "normal" or "fast" (vid above shows normal speed). This no sound bug ruined my atmospheric flyby :down: 

44 minutes ago, a_killer_wombat said:

I was creating a scenario while in dev branch and discovered that there is an issue with no audio from this low flyby I created:

I wasn't running any mods and I tested it on stable branch as well with the same results. I think the issue arises when the aircraft is moving faster than mach 1 since I could hear the jet when I set it to move at "limited" speed but not at "normal" or "fast" (vid above shows normal speed). This no sound bug ruined my atmospheric flyby :down: 

Doesn't happen for me though, jets faster than mach 1 (jet speed is 350m/s in my video) always produce a sonic boom.

Cheers

I did some further testing and found that I seem to get the "no flyby sound" bug when the aircraft are spawned from outside the player's view distance settings. My settings for both terrain and object render distance are set to 6km, if I have the aircraft start >6km away from me then I get the silent flyby but If I have the aircraft start <6km then I do get to experience the sonic boom.

2 hours ago, a_killer_wombat said:

I did some further testing and found that I seem to get the "no flyby sound" bug when the aircraft are spawned from outside the player's view distance settings. My settings were for terrain and object render distance are set to 6km, if I have the aircraft start >6km away from me then I get the silent flyby but If I have the aircraft start <6km then I do get to experience the sonic boom.

i didn't test now, but with 1.70 RC, i made the following video, with a similar issue

i think i even made a ticket, but i'm used to have tickets overseen in the tracker.

1 hour ago, HaseDesTodes said:

i didn't test now, but with 1.70 RC, i made the following video, with a similar issue

i think i even made a ticket, but i'm used to have tickets overseen in the tracker.

Maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in your video.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in your video.

Cheers

usually, the jet engine should be audible directly after the sonic boom, but in the video it becomes audible 15 sec after the boom.

i mean, there are engine sounds in the sonic boom sound effect, but those don't matter for the issue.

12 hours ago, a_killer_wombat said:

What I experienced was complete silence from the jet.

i saw that..

that's why i wrote "similar issue".

i had noticed that:

a) the distance matters

just like you i found that the view distance seems to be involved

edit: not sure anymore

and b) the speed matters

i could hear aircraft at speeds lower than M=1 just like it was supposed to be/like i expected.

c) the engine sound became audible after a while as the aircraft flew away

your issue see seems to show the same characteristics as in a) and b), just that you don't even even hear the sonic boom.

you didn't write anything about if the jet becomes audible after a while, i guess it might be interesting to know.

edit:

just did some quick tests and found that Gryphon and Black Wasp II don't produce a sonic boom for me under the the know circumstances, while the Shikra does.

Still the engine sound pops in late for all of them.

edit #2:

did some further testing with BW II, and there seems to be an issue with the speeds that trigger the sonic boom.

i had a row of jets with different speeds (setvelocity).

it seems to me, that only the jets i spawned with speeds higher than 750m/s were producing reliable sonic booms. maybe the limit is a bit lower, but i only tested 700 and 750.