3 hours ago, pingopete said:

Will we be seeing an option in config for independent vehicle weapon firing sounds for 1st and 3rd person/ turned in-turned out, or at least an option to have the vehicle interior occlusion/exclusion effects influencing that vehicle's weapon sounds when inside. It's quite unrealistic having the same audio sample for tanks firing for internal vehicle view and external views.

Planned. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, megagoth1702 said:

Awesome! where was this stated though, I'd be interested to see more details?

16 hours ago, pingopete said:

I remember seeing this in the thread. you will have to trawl unfortunately. 

:down:

In the DEV version, switch to tactical view.
The sound of the running motor and the sound of the wheels sounds like the main background sound. It does not depend on how close or far, the tactical camera is from the sound source.

With a former sound it wasn't so noticeable. With a new sound on KUMA I well hear a motor sound in a forward part of the tank. It is possible to displace a sound source to the location of the motor?
- T-100 and Kuma aft.
- Not to change a position for Slamer.

22 hours ago, pingopete said:

Oh, it's simple. I get to ask specific people specific questions and explain them to you guys here in this forum. Going to be more of it incoming soon, since I now will have more time for this. :)

5 hours ago, lex__1 said:

In the DEV version, switch to tactical view.
The sound of the running motor and the sound of the wheels sounds like the main background sound. It does not depend on how close or far, the tactical camera is from the sound source.

With a former sound it wasn't so noticeable. With a new sound on KUMA I well hear a motor sound in a forward part of the tank. It is possible to displace a sound source to the location of the motor?
- T-100 and Kuma aft.
- Not to change a position for Slamer.

Will forward this.

I just noticed that locked building doors do not have a sound when one tries to open them. Is that intended? There should be some rattling.

15 hours ago, R3vo said:

I just noticed that locked building doors do not have a sound when one tries to open them. Is that intended? There should be some rattling.

Wasn't that new/only in the Laws of War campaign? I don't think I've ever heard closed door rattling in the editor/single player games.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, megagoth1702 said:

This is on our radar, yes. However, I want to nuance this a bit because there is currently no clear prospect of when we will have this in the game. We strive to meet our goals but I don't want there to be any false expectations :)

• Like 2

Are we every going to see a fix for the sudden sound volume change when toggling the map? It seems that when opening the map, the sound heard in 3rd person view is played. It's utterly annoying and makes no sense.

• Thanks 2

I approve. Dunno if it has been reported but it's here since 2013.

It's easy to reproduce, get in a helo, gain some speed then open the map and hear your helo getting away from the camera.

Sounds like once the map is opened, the camera is unsnapped from the player (even if inside a vehicle - so that's why you hear the outside sounds instead of inside) and stays at the spot you opened the map from.

I'm sure it's just a regression from A2, I don't remember this back then.

Whats about inserted loop points to wav files? Can we ever expect to work with these? Don't want to blame you guys but inserted loop points can be detected by free programs out there. Arma 3 should be able to read them too or at least give us an alternative. Of course just relevant to sound designers / sound modders but it will also improve the sound quality in arma itself which will lead to a cleaner product design.

PS: I've already successfully implemented first and third person sounds for every weapon in the game except GAU-8 of the Wipeout.

Will there be a chance that 5.1 will be looked into some time?

Especially the first person sounds are way off.

Firing a rifle in first person leaves the center channel way too quiet, with the left and right channels producing most of the gun sound, which is odd, since in first person the rifle is in front of you, so the center channel should do most of the work.

When switching between first and third person this becomes very prominent, since in third person the sounds are what you expect them to be, center channel doing most of the work.

Cheers

• Like 1

Will other tracked vehicles be updated with new sounds? Currently everything is just an earsore to listen to with all of weird "popping sounds". The MBT-52 on the other hand... mmmf.

One other thing: please muffle the audio of weapons such as tank cannons and machineguns when controlling vehicles. The engine is muffled so why aren't the weapons?

• Like 1

Apparently the 3D processor "panner" is not working correctly. When I tested it a few hours ago the sound was barely noticeable within 5m of the sound source. Farther it disappeared completley. The range and rangecurve of the soundshader which was used was of course farther than 5m.  

Also it is not documented how 3D processors behave with spatial = 1/0. (not blaming mega for doing all the documentation, thanks for what you did). Spatial has to be set to 1 for some specific 3d processors to work at all.

I think because if the sound is not spatial the engine can not translate the emitter. But what is about panner? Does it have to be on? I mean I tested it with both, nothing worked but if it would work, what then?

Anyway, it feels like it is completley messed up. Just emitters are working with spatial set to 0.

Working with Arma 3 still feels close to working with Arma 1. Why things haven't changed that much? I mean we still cannot seperate 1p and 3p sounds by default. Yes - I've found a way of doing this like I mentioned above but it is still very tricky and I have to see if it is public suitable. The same goes for loop points the engine cannot read (or at least there is no documentation how it should be done if it is possible). Features like mentioned have been in games for a long time. First games appeared over 10 years using this features. Why Arma 3 cannot do things like this? It seems like the sound here is not taking serious. We just get a "being highly discussed" and "don't expect something like that". I mean we are speaking of features which are standards since a long long time for the most games. We are not speaking of something being completly new to the games industry.  But in Arma old methods barely getting up to date. We have already reached a time where kickstarter games have a better sound production- and system than arma (the system is the importent one).

Here it just feels we have reached another century because they added stereo support. It could be so much better to be honest... but it is cheap. Can I remember you - it is 2017, not 2004. You don't even need to do that much. You just open the fucking possibilities and the sound designers/ modders (who are doing this for free, for nothing but for fun because it is a hobby) are doing the rest. 

And now all the bugs coming up with sound controllers (which have been reported, even with the mark that sound modders could lose their motivation behind their work) and not correctly working 3D processors (at least for me, I've tested it but I could have been missing something)... seriously, sometimes I just wanna say get your shit together.

Seriously the only reason we are here is because Arma gives the community a lot of freedom in terms of modding. IF there was an alternative (true competetion in terms of military sandbox, not a tactical shooter like squad) you guys would see a different light. Just imagine something would come up and do things better than you. And if there is coming something, remember these words!

This is not a hatespeech to you, it is just how it is. I just criticise you and the priorities being set here. For the average user the technical stuff I mentioned doesn't mean much. But the quality which is delivered by it WILL be noticeable to everyone. And since I find quality in a product importent, the technical stuff IS importent.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, Night515 said:

Will other tracked vehicles be updated with new sounds? Currently everything is just an earsore to listen to with all of weird "popping sounds". The MBT-52 on the other hand... mmmf.

One other thing: please muffle the audio of weapons such as tank cannons and machineguns when controlling vehicles. The engine is muffled so why aren't the weapons?

This is another odd issue in game since a very long time.

Piloting the blackfoot on full volume makes me want to rip my ears off once the gunner starts firing the cannon, way too loud especially since the engine is muffled as expected.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheintot2 said:

Apparently the 3D processor "panner" is not working correctly. When I tested it a few hours ago the sound was barely noticeable within 5m of the sound source. Farther it disappeared completley. The range and rangecurve of the soundshader which was used was of course farther than 5m.  

Also it is not documented how 3D processors behave with spatial = 1/0. (not blaming mega for doing all the documentation, thanks for what you did). Spatial has to be set to 1 for some specific 3d processors to work at all.

I think because if the sound is not spatial the engine can not translate the emitter. But what is about panner? Does it have to be on? I mean I tested it with both, nothing worked but if it would work, what then?

Anyway, it feels like it is completley messed up. Just emitters are working with spatial set to 0.

Working with Arma 3 still feels close to working with Arma 1. Why things haven't changed that much? I mean we still cannot seperate 1p and 3p sounds by default. Yes - I've found a way of doing this like I mentioned above but it is still very tricky and I have to see if it is public suitable. The same goes for loop points the engine cannot read (or at least there is no documentation how it should be done if it is possible). Features like mentioned have been in games for a long time. First games appeared over 10 years using this features. Why Arma 3 cannot do things like this? It seems like the sound here is not taking serious. We just get a "being highly discussed" and "don't expect something like that". I mean we are speaking of features which are standards since a long long time for the most games. We are not speaking of something being completly new to the games industry.  But in Arma old methods barely getting up to date. We have already reached a time where kickstarter games have a better sound production- and system than arma (the system is the importent one).

Here it just feels we have reached another century because they added stereo support. It could be so much better to be honest... but it is cheap. Can I remember you - it is 2017, not 2004. You don't even need to do that much. You just open the fucking possibilities and the sound designers/ modders (who are doing this for free, for nothing but for fun because it is a hobby) are doing the rest. 

And now all the bugs coming up with sound controllers (which have been reported, even with the mark that sound modders could lose their motivation behind their work) and not correctly working 3D processors (at least for me, I've tested it but I could have been missing something)... seriously, sometimes I just wanna say get your shit together.

Seriously the only reason we are here is because Arma gives the community a lot of freedom in terms of modding. IF there was an alternative (true competetion in terms of military sandbox, not a tactical shooter like squad) you guys would see a different light. Just imagine something would come up and do things better than you. And if there is coming something, remember these words!

This is not a hatespeech to you, it is just how it is. I just criticise you and the priorities being set here. For the average user the technical stuff I mentioned doesn't mean much. But the quality which is delivered by it WILL be noticeable to everyone. And since I find quality in a product importent, the technical stuff IS importent.

Please specify your problem a bit more. I've never had any issues with the panner type.

Also, why should it work with non-spatial sounds? The spatial parameter defines if the sound will follow an object's location. Making it non-spatial will obviously do nothing but playing the sound directly 1:1.

I'd also like to point out that your rant without any kind of background knowledge is very disrespectful. The team has been very small for a very, very long time and did everything in order to at least get to the point where we are now.

45 minutes ago, laxemann said:

Please specify your problem a bit more. I've never had any issues with the panner type.

Also, why should it work with non-spatial sounds? The spatial parameter defines if the sound will follow an object's location. Making it non-spatial will obviously do nothing but playing the sound directly 1:1.

I'll do it in a few hours. I am currently at work. 

BTW: in my tests I had the impression that spatial = 0 makes the sound like you hear it with media player, spatial = 1 makes it more positional.

PS: I did not rant. This is criticism. In my opinion its facts. Personal feelings are not realy asked here. If the audio team was small and did they best, thats fine. But that does not make the problem go away. It stays at the priorities for the game itself. They should give the audio team more ressources then. As hard as it sounds - it doesn't even matter where the internal problems are. I, as a customer, should not care about that. I should care about the quality which is delivered by the final product. 

Also I knew that because I am following this series since 2001 and the progress is slow for being the third (or fourth) game in 2017.

So it is not a "lack of background knowledge".

45 minutes ago, scheintot2 said:

I'll do it in a few hours. I am currently at work. 

BTW: in my tests I had the impression that spatial = 0 makes the sound like you hear it with media player, spatial = 1 makes it more positional.

PS: I did not rant. This is criticism. In my opinion its facts. Personal feelings are not realy asked here. If the audio team was small and did they best, thats fine. But that does not make the problem go away. It stays at the priorities for the game itself. They should give the audio team more ressources then. As hard as it sounds - it doesn't even matter where the internal problems are. I, as a customer, should not care about that. I should care about the quality which is delivered by the final product. 

Also I knew that because I am following this series since 2001 and the progress is slow for being the third (or fourth) game in 2017.

So it is not a "lack of background knowledge".

If you are indeed following the series series since way back when. You think you'd be used to the disappointment.  Your anguish is glaringly ugly.

your uppity "rant" and I call it a rant because even if you had any valid points. this is a development branch thread. Not general discussion. You provided no proof of your issue. Then went on a oh by the way "rant". 

I even personally believe the sound is below expectations and I'll even use comparison from the game itself.  the sound mod jsrs.  All around brings the battlefield alive. . That guy is killing it. But alot of even his mod is only possible with changes the audio them have provided wrestling with the ageing engine arma 3 is on. 

2 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

If you are indeed following the series series since way back when. You think you'd be used to the disappointment.  Your anguish is glaringly ugly.

Sorry - what is your point here? If I'm following the series way back when?! To repeat myself: I am following the series since Operation Flashpoint (2001) so I know the progress which has been made since then pretty good.

And yes, it might be sound rough because I am not sticking my head into someones ass to not hurt someone while speaking out criticism but I also did not insult anyone. I just cleared out facts. And guys, lets remember please - I also did not, how you call it, rant about Arma not sounding like the Battlefield series (in quality). I "rant" about simple features like inserting loop points into wav files which can be read by the engine and 1p and 3p seperated sound files are STILL missing. Thats all. Features which has been used in the games industry over 10 years now. I can just repeat myself. PS: inserted loop points can be read by FREE programs today...

your uppity "rant" and I call it a rant because even if you had any valid points. this is a development branch thread. Not general discussion. You provided no proof of your issue. Then went on a oh by the way "rant".

I cannot realy provide a proof except posting my config in here which I will do in a few hours when I'm back home. What do you expect me to do? 

If the 3D Processor is not broken which I hope because I am working on a sound mod I would be pretty happy about it. Maybe someone can also test this in a new clear test environment. (Arma with a sound mod with just one new added sound).

Like I've said, I will provide the config later.

I even personally believe the sound is below expectations and I'll even use comparison from the game itself.  the sound mod jsrs.  All around brings the battlefield alive. . That guy is killing it. But alot of even his mod is only possible with changes the audio them have provided wrestling with the ageing engine arma 3 is on. 

If I got you correct here then you think the sound in vanilla is bad and below expectations - made better by a community modder. And here we have exactly the two points I mentioned above. The modder is using the system which is provided by the audio team to make his sound mod work. People like it and the quality is probably better than the default sounds provide. Which leads us to the first point, the quality of the game. Which is not bad in every aspect, im not saying this. But in some areas its just behind... lacking on simple features.

My goal is not to insult the audio team or blame them. But as I said, as the customer I CAN'T be supposed to "understand the companies internal problems" why the audio is behind the standards. But what I can is I can provide critism and feedback of what I am seeing. And I saw enough the last 16 years to provide feedback in terms of progress when it comes to audio. 

PS: And yes, of course there have been some improvements. Sound Shaders, sets, cones, filters, range curves, stereo files, 128 voices - everything. And thats good. 

Yes I think jsrs sound mod is superior to vanilla.  But that is opinion.  Not fact. While I believe jsrs is good many might not. 

If there is a component of the audio broken fair enough. Help them help you fix it.  You say "what do you expect me to do".  

How about not make proper testing an afterthought?  see if it is in fact broken before posting your findings.not do it the otherway around?.  Hell in that case " what do you expect the devs to do"???

18 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Yes I think jsrs sound mod is superior to vanilla.  But that is opinion.  Not fact. While I believe jsrs is good many might not. 

Yes, that is correct. But it is also known that many players are actually using sound mods. Which one is and was not the question here.

18 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

If there is a component of the audio broken fair enough. Help them help you fix it.  You say "what do you expect me to do".  

How about not make proper testing an afterthought?  see if it is in fact broken before posting your findings.not do it the otherway around?.  Hell in that case " what do you expect the devs to do"???

I already helped by reporting it. USUALLY <- it is their job to fix a bug if there is one. I don't know if it is broken but I have already tested it out last night (5 am) for two hours and haven't found the mistake on my side which COULD be there (a point, I've already mentioned). Also I wrote that I'll post the config and maybe someone will spot a mistake on my side. If not it is broken. I mentioned that out here so other sound modders or testers might have the same problem and can report this stuff not going crazy because they think they did something wrong in case it is broken. U see?

So what the hell does "see if it is in fact broken before posting your findings" even mean? I did everything I could and I will test it AGAIN in a minute to double check (or 500000 check) if there was an mistake of mine before I'll post the config.

PS: So please again. Don't get me wrong. I know I might sound a bit rude in comparison to the usual stuff being posted. But I don't mean to attack the audio devs at all. Personaly I like BIS very much. But I try to keep that out of my critism to give a realistic feedback out of MY personal experience over the last 16 years. Again, I know it sounds fucked up, but it is not meant like this. So I am sorry for everyone who felt personally engaged. 

PPS: Okay, to be honest, I could not recreate what happened this morning. I actually did not do that much different now but the sound is played stereo now. The 3d processor is made for the tail and the tail goes quiet when the gun sound goes quiet but both are on different soundsets. Is this normal or a bug?

PPPS: Anyone knows what this has to mean?

"New macro-based sound configuration system"

On 11/13/2017 at 7:32 PM, scheintot2 said:

PPPS: Anyone knows what this has to mean?

"New macro-based sound configuration system"

Hello  :)

This is a newly added configuration prototype, meant to simplify and improve the configuration of vehicle audio. At the moment we are still tweaking and improving it but when in proper shape, this system will be delivered to the community including the necessary documentation.

Edited by BraveWooky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, BraveWooky said:

Hello  :)

This is a newly added configuration prototype, meant to simplify and improve the configuration of vehicle audio. At the moment we are still tweaking and improving it but when in proper shape, this system will be delivered to the community including the necessary documentation.

Awsome, thats good to hear. Thank you for your answer!

In network games, I often (but sometimes) hear the distorted sound, any standard dialogue of AI.
It sounds as - poorly noticeable sound, as from some parallel communication channel as radio AI negotiations. Dialogue it is heard as cyclically repeating.
It is reproduced even when there is no enemy of AI in a big radius.
Someone else it noticed similar sound artifacts?

P.S.
I don't use any sound Mods.
I don't use any radio Mods.

@lex__1

i had noticed in the past, that (AI) squad commands don'T fade out properly.

so i was able to hear AI at 2.5km distance (sound fully turned up)

i did report it, but as usual BIS didn't really care to answer https://feedback.bistudio.com/T124627

i linked a video i made in the report, and i can hear the AI voice commands very quietly, if i turn my volume to the max. especailly between 0-15 sec, idk. why i made that video so long.

i don't really know if that's the way you can hear it, but i think it might be related.