Thats the sound designer's job. Its not an uncommon thing to make sure your stuff sounds good in mono.

Good answer! 

Thanks for the interesting video megagoth. The debris sounds after a near explosion are also amazing and do a great job of enhancing the "feel".

A good question was brought up in the ArmA 3's Discord sound_music_makers channel.

Sniperwolf:

The video you did, you mentioned the speakers moving with the direction and illustrated it as both head and speakers moving. Wouldn't that cause the horrible thing with the tails currently where a sound is stuck in one of your ears?

This is a misunderstanding, sorry.

I will answer this to my best understanding. (I might be wrong about this.)

It was more of an extreme scenario example in the paint picture, where you stand exactly ON the sound source. In the grenade example video video you hear that when I'm right on the explosion the debris sound is "stationary" because the virtual speakers rotate with my view but when I move further away and turn my head, the sound comes from the right.

Also the stereo system is not done yet. As mentioned in the OPREP the vector based multichannel panning is still coming. Right now we only have the stereo emitter. The coming system will describe in more detail what happens to the stereo sound depending on listener position & view direction.

Hmm. Thinking now how to fix that misunderstanding in the video. Suggestions? Please PM me, don't write it in this thread.

How will the stereo emitter handle phase issues converting a stereo audio image into an mono image and vice versa?

Thats the sound designer's job. Its not an uncommon thing to make sure your stuff sounds good in mono.

I'll add - as a sound designer you absolutely have to make SURE that your stuff works in mono. Imagine players without headphones but speakers or a TV, the channels gets mixed there too and if it would create serious phasing etc. you did something wrong.

(locked out of my old forum account)Played around today on dev ,  can see the sounds starting to come together really nicely. thanks sound crew for the continued hard work.

sound of firing in room is very low.

Found a problem on stable branch. When .50 cal static mk30 reloads the sound jams. May somebody confirm on development build?

Found a problem on stable branch. When .50 cal static mk30 reloads the sound jams. May somebody confirm on development build?

I'm on DEV branch and it doesn't seem to jam.

• Like 1

This bug affects all reload sounds of vehicle weapons and is already known at BI. It seems fixed in DEV already if it does not occure there.

• Like 1

sound of firing in room is very low.

Agreed it sounds unnaturally low.

I even find 3rd person shots,sound like you are further away from your character. But these may just be balancing.

It's probably not been worked on yet. But tested 2 days ago. the explosions indoors. sound exactly the same as outdoors.

I just watched your video and I am hyped!

So does this mean we can alter jet engine sounds to be of extreme realism? 

I wish to get into sound modding for that particular reason, to make high quality jet sounds :P

I just watched your video and I am hyped!

So does this mean we can alter jet engine sounds to be of extreme realism? 

I wish to get into sound modding for that particular reason, to make high quality jet sounds :P

Speaking of jet sounds. Be nice if the fixed wings got some love sound wise. Even things like when the wheels leave the runway,or land on the runway. A camera shake and some associated noise. Adds more immersion.

Speaking of jet sounds. Be nice if the fixed wings got some love sound wise. Even things like when the wheels leave the runway,or land on the runway. A camera shake and some associated noise. Adds more immersion.

Yea mate I'd love that'll be awesome!

My main concern, wouldn't say concern, however the main thing I'm looking for loud jet sounds, at the current stage, the Buzzard sound for example, is extremely quite compared to what a jet would sound like.. You don't have that grrr growl sound/feeling you get when you hear a real jet fighter. The sound dips off way too early, you can't hear the jet from more then like 500m away etc...

I'm hoping to make it so you can hear that growl for like 3000m below etc... Stuff like that, so you know when a jet is around, like IRL. :) 

Love the sounds effects with wheels though etc, going to be awesome! 

Yea mate I'd love that'll be awesome!

My main concern, wouldn't say concern, however the main thing I'm looking for loud jet sounds, at the current stage, the Buzzard sound for example, is extremely quite compared to what a jet would sound like.. You don't have that grrr growl sound/feeling you get when you hear a real jet fighter. The sound dips off way too early, you can't hear the jet from more then like 500m away etc...

I'm hoping to make it so you can hear that growl for like 3000m below etc... Stuff like that, so you know when a jet is around, like IRL. :)

Love the sounds effects with wheels though etc, going to be awesome! 

Should be easily doable with the new config changes to extend ranges out that far, assuming the engine doesn't have a hard limit on distance.

As you might have gathered from a few tidbits of information dropped here recently, there are a few essential changes coming to A3's audio. 

Sounds great!

One specific question tho...

Will upcoming audio overhaul improve the bullet crack sound so it's possible to better distinguish it from bullets hitting the ground around you? As it is now in 1.52.x and previous versions you can not really do that and it's very confusing to say at least.

/KC

Sounds great!

One specific question tho...

Will upcoming audio overhaul improve the bullet crack sound so it's possible to better distinguish it from bullets hitting the ground around you? As it is now in 1.52.x and previous versions you can not really do that and it's very confusing to say at least.

/KC

I was on dev branch other day playing through the campaign and as far as cracks, I could better tell the direction. Now maybe it was just the mission having no overwhelming gunfight going on.

I could hear the difference from a tank that was moving and shooting behind a hill, than to it being in the open. Same with shooting in the open and shooting standing near structures.

Sounds promising! Gonna update my Dev install and try.

/KC

I'll add - as a sound designer you absolutely have to make SURE that your stuff works in mono. Imagine players without headphones but speakers or a TV, the channels gets mixed there too and if it would create serious phasing etc. you did something wrong.

Yes this makes perfect sense :) it is the same with music production during the latter mixing/ mastering stages.  Mega (or anyone else for that matter ;) ) will the new mid/ distance firearm sound effects also use the BIS 'tail' effects system, but processed through the stereo emitter.  Or will the reflections/report be mixed into the audio-file (of the mid/distance effects) to save on processing etc?       

p.s. I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing the new developments, this is very exciting.  

Do you feel that the gun fire sound of MK18 ABR is broken? But MK14 is OK.

and every gun's fire sound in the house is very low. The sound feels very depressive.

I was on dev branch other day playing through the campaign and as far as cracks, I could better tell the direction. Now maybe it was just the mission having no overwhelming gunfight going on.

I could hear the difference from a tank that was moving and shooting behind a hill, than to it being in the open. Same with shooting in the open and shooting standing near structures.

Tried it but couldn't really notice any difference...

A related thing is the ground hits all around you is pretty loud/prominent and drowns other sounds so decreasing volume/sound distance would improve the overall sound scape.

/KC

Has anyone tested grenades on dev branch? Currently on stable I find it both difficult to see And hear them...I literally can only hear a grenade near me if there is nothing else whatsoever going on.

Has anyone tested grenades on dev branch? Currently on stable I find it both difficult to see And hear them...I literally can only hear a grenade near me if there is nothing else whatsoever going on.

You mean sound of explosion or sound of grenade hitting ground?

You mean sound of explosion or sound of grenade hitting ground?

Sound hitting ground...I mean the sound in real life might not be that loud but I'm darn sure you'd see a grenade land next to you in real life, so I think for games sake we should be able to know where a grenade goes.

I don't know, man. Basically in every game that I played in my life it was really difficult to see or hear a grenade falling near you. Except if you have a dedicated screen marker (CoD-style) or playing Half-Life where grenade sounds like an empty 200-litres barrel =)). Just get a stone the size of a grenade and throw it near yourself on the ground or even on asphalt - you'll notice that sound isn't that loud or distinctive. I think that during a firefight it is really hard to notice a small round object falling beneath you IRL, so I think in this aspect there is no need for change.

the thing you lack in games is peripheral vision, thats why you have a hard time seeing the grenade come near you in game.

the thing you lack in games is peripheral vision, thats why you have a hard time seeing the grenade come near you in game.

Exactly my thought...that is why I feel being able to detect it would be realistic compared to not seeing it one bit.