Greetings all,

Playing as Zeus and zooming out the map makes the wind sound so strong that is unbearable. Have you had a look at this?

Cheers

On 4/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, teabagginpeople said:

On page 94 I replied regarding this issue. 

Done a lot of testing on it.

It is a shame. The only way to get that real immersion is Jsrs combined with laxxmans soundscape mod. Unfortunately you are really limited then what servers you can play on. 

Vanilla just doesn't come anywhere close to it imo. 

here are some tests showing how the distance sounds in vanilla are lacking. As you can hear with the Jsrs the Immersion is increased dramatically. it translates into actually being able to  plan a proper reaction to the tank be that engaging it, location and planning another route.  in vanilla the tank can seemingly appear out of nowhere and cut  down your squad before you even knew it was there. 

lazy vids but you get the picture.

Tweaked: Audible ranges of vehicle engines (WIP)

In the above videos you can only hear a tank from 350 meters out sound just pops in really jarringly.

I have done some quick testing nothing too extensive for now. with the new Audible ranges of vehicles(wip) you can hear a tank over 1.2 klicks away, a vast improvement. This is really nice.

Cheers BI and audio team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Tweaked: Audible ranges of vehicle engines (WIP)

In the above videos you can only hear a tank from 350 meters out sound just pops in really jarringly.

I have done some quick testing nothing too extensive for now. with the new Audible ranges of vehicles(wip) you can hear a tank over 1.2 klicks away, a vast improvement. This is really nice.

Cheers BI and audio team.

That's great to hear! I hope all vehicles have been tweaked. One of the disadvantages of vehicles, in comparison to infantry, is their noise emission greatly reducing their stealth. This has not been fully realised in Arma 3 so far though. There have been hundreds of occasions where an enemy vehicle has seemingly materialised out of thin air at close range and decimated our friendly infantry. Infantry should be able to hear a vehicle coming towards them from relatively long range as long as the ambient environment sound levels are low, especially if that vehicle is moving at relatively high speeds.

^Yeah. Everybody who watched Kelly's Heroes knows this perfectly well.

Just did a quick test on dev branch myself with the Panther (NATO tracked APC) and Hunter (NATO MRAP).

With the Panther, I could hear it from noticeably longer range and without sudden audio "pop-in". However, the Hunter seems to still have the old issue of being almost silent until it is around 300m and then suddenly have audio pop-in with the engine. 

From that test, I'm assuming that only the tracked vehicles have been fixed so far while wheeled vehicles are still broken. I'm crossing my fingers that BI manage to implement this fix for all ground vehicles before the next patch is due to roll out.

• Thanks 3

Seems like the best place to post this...

Place any unit equipped with any handgun. 

With handgun lowered, crouched and walking at limited speed there is no movement sounds, raise weapon and movement sounds return.

Happens on all vanilla terrains, even the VR map.

Not sure if this is intended or a bug, just seems weird to me.

• Like 2

@Dwarden @DnA

please consider adding sounds for:
1. body hits ground
2. when car hits person

this would not only increase the immersion, but makes also physx feels more natural

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see (or rather hear)  breathing effects for the CBNR masks to be added

And some audiofilter for muffling the radioprotocol a bit

Without it, the feeling of wearing masks would just evaporate

• Like 4

Is anyone else have issues with gun shots not being audible. Not sure when it started but I have noticed it recently, I hear bullets impacting but not the actual gun shot.

15 hours ago, Vigil Vindex said:

Is anyone else have issues with gun shots not being audible. Not sure when it started but I have noticed it recently, I hear bullets impacting but not the actual gun shot.

Yes.  Once or twice I've been one-shot by AI at close range without a sound, and I've certainly had times when my suppressed CAR-95-1 is firing on full auto without making a sound.  I can only imagine that this is a result of some recent fix or performance improvement because the bulk of the sound dropouts on my suppressed weapon occur when the sounds of battle are raging.  I consider it a bug because the dropout is abrupt and I always do a double take to make sure that I'm actually firing.  There's just not enough visual recoil on that weapon to use that as a cue.

I certainly can't rely on the tactile feedback of recoil.

You're hitting the maximum number of played sounds at once. Since soundshaders were added it seems to occur more often as more sounds are played per firing event.

7 hours ago, cyruz said:

You're hitting the maximum number of played sounds at once. Since soundshaders were added it seems to occur more often as more sounds are played per firing event.

If this is true then perhaps something should be added to de-prioritise sounds that are further away so that sounds closer can be prioritised as it should be less noticeable if further away sounds are being missed out.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 10:01 PM, cyruz said:

Yup. I've created a ticket for this a while ago but since there's no (audio) programmer working on A3 anymore, hopes of having this fixed shouldn't be put too high...

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T136179

The thing is that it's even worse when making your own sounds that last a bit longer (tails but also the shots themselves).

Maybe @Dwarden can enlighten us once more...?  🙂

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 10:01 PM, cyruz said:

You're hitting the maximum number of played sounds at once.

Isn't that the "sound sources" number option in the audio settings? Or is it's max setting still not high enough?

40 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Isn't that the "sound sources" number option in the audio settings? Or is it's max setting still not high enough?

I assume it's that setting and it's defaulted to it's max, 128 and this happens quite frequently with busy MP environments. @Dedmen any chance of hex editing this value externally to see if pushing it higher (256/512) breaks or causes nasty performance issues?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyruz said:

I assume it's that setting and it's defaulted to it's max, 128 and this happens quite frequently with busy MP environments. @Dedmen any chance of hex editing this value externally to see if pushing it higher (256/512) breaks or causes nasty performance issues?

Oh.. 128 is max? I thought it was bigger.
Pls message me on discord. I'll have time in 2 hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyruz said:

It might be worth a shot but this is likely to do nothing, because the voices/sound sources are clustered in groups (AFAIK vehicles, weapons, ambience...). Meaning, increasing the maximum amount won't change anything unless they are assigned to the groups.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:11 AM, lato190 said:

@Dwarden @DnA

please consider adding sounds for:
1. body hits ground
2. when car hits person

this would not only increase the immersion, but makes also physx feels more natural

Heavens. I never realised A3 was missing this. It just always felt meh when bodies fall or vehicles crash. Such an obvious thing. 

- k 

As development appears to be winding down, there's one thing that I'd really like to see from ARMA in the realm of audio changes.

The volume of the Direct channel.

It's not usable as it is.  If you're standing next to someone in a calm area, then yes, you can speak to them.  But the volume needs to be much higher - or tunable by script.

As a reference go by the radio mods available.  Their direct volume is much higher and it works.  Those of us unable to use radio mods are relying on the game channels, and that means that we must use the Group channel because Direct is unusable.

I fear this is one of those things where the ARMA code just won't allow such a change without breaking other things, but it's something that I'd really like to see fixed before the product finally lapses into a development coma.

Naturally, if there's some existing means of boosting the volume of Direct without affecting anything else, I'd love to hear about it.

EDIT:

It looks like there's a way to increase the volume of the Direct channel.  It is accomplished by having each player increase their game's EFFECTS volume, and then using fadeSound in the mission scripts.  Because fadeSound doesn't appear to affect the volume of the Direct channel, the net effect of doing these two things is to raise the volume of the Direct channel.

We were playing with this last night and by setting the EFFECTS volume to 50% and using a fadeSound of 0.2 (80% reduction in volume), both direct  channel and world volume levels seems to be pretty reasonable.  This was while using the JSRS sound mod, which I think is even louder than the vanilla sound effects.  Putting earplugs in calls for an even more severe fadeSound.

If anyone knows of any hitches in doing things like this (other than deafening players when they move to a different server), please let me know.

Edited by JB47394
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For supersonic ammunition when using a suppressor, it would be nice instead of using just the suppressed weapon sound to use a mix of the that suppressed sound and a moderately attenuated version of the unsuppressed weapon sound. The fully suppressed weapon sound could continue to be used with subsonic ammo when a suppressor is used.