On 6/19/2017 at 11:33 AM, teabagginpeople said:

wind is now  so non existent you unnaturally  hear creeks of the trees as if it is windy but no wind.

should be addressed and expected to be in devbranch asap.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BraveWooky said:

should be addressed and expected to be in devbranch asap.

Cheers wooky. Will try test on it when yous get it out.

• Like 1

Please correct the problem for issue 1.72, from this ticket.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T124559
In the game it's disorienting. In the combat situation, the orientation of the distance and the direction of the sound of the shots disappeared.
This happened on release 1.68, and there is no change in this as before.

Obstacles of visual contact to the source of sound and smoke, change the distribution, type and level of sound, in a non-characteristic form.

The problem concerns shots from any weapon or machine.

All footage of the video from the NATO demonstration mission.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, lex__1 said:

In the game it's disorienting. In the combat situation, the orientation of the distance and the direction of the sound of the shots disappeared.

I agree I'm not happy with the sound volume/direction/occlusion effects. I created a defense scenario where you have to defend some buildings (let's say 100m2) to attacks from all directions. Both you and OPFOR have about 6 inf squads plus some light vehicles. You are on the roof of one of the buildings. I expected a cool chaotic soundscape with lots of firing and explosions, but it's very disappointing. Standing on the roof, you almost cannot here the .50 that is beside the building on street level. You mostly hear bullets snaps and impacts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BraveWooky said:

in above ticket is mentioned that a fix is already in progress.

There are many signed tickets, which many times celebrate their birthdays)))

This problem appeared on 1.68. This is reproduced on DEV 1.73, and it was promised to fix it for 1.70. This frustrates the game already in the period of two updates.

At a distance of 50-2000 meters from the sound source, a lot of characteristic sounds are lost, I can not determine:
- type of sound source
- approximate distance of sound source
- approximate direction of sound source
The sound of flying bullets disappeared, only bullet strokes can be heard in the textures

(when the texture is in direct line of sight from me or my view).

Only a supersonic mono flick of a shot is heard, which sounds the same at any distance.
Such obvious errors should not last long in releases.

The atmosphere of the battle has been lost and many tactical errors in the assessment of the situation.

tweaking wind noice? didnt see this as prominent problem... I often find the enviroment sounds almost not hearable at all so a little wind is quite refresching... The problem as I see it is that the gun shot sounds are far to promiment ..because of that I start turning down the effect volume. After all if you want to play with headphones you dont want to become deaf. I rather woud wish that enviromental sounds of ambiente and gunshots would have a seperate slider for adjustment for the sake of my ears.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kumeda said:

tweaking wind noice? didnt see this as prominent problem... I often find the enviroment sounds almost not hearable at all so a little wind is quite refresching... The problem as I see it is that the gun shot sounds are far to promiment ..because of that I start turning down the effect volume. After all if you want to play with headphones you dont want to become deaf. I rather woud wish that enviromental sounds of ambiente and gunshots would have a seperate slider for adjustment for the sake of my ears.

The problem is not in the level of sound. The problem is the complete absence of the sounds of shots, in certain situations and environments. Sounds of shots sound the same for all weapons, and do not have characteristic complementary sounds. It sounds like a quartet without guitars and solos)))

53 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

Sounds of shots sound the same for all weapons, and do not have characteristic complementary sounds. It sounds like a quartet without guitars and solos)))

A weapon firing is nothing but a "bang" of exiting gasses and the projectile flying in supersonic speed.

What different "characteristics" do you expect? The same calibre will almost sound pretty much identical, probably some minor differences due to the barrel length.

The current sounds allow to identify calibres at ranges and that is completely fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laxemann said:

A weapon firing is nothing but a "bang" of exiting gasses and the projectile flying in supersonic speed.

What different "characteristics" do you expect? The same calibre will almost sound pretty much identical, probably some minor differences due to the barrel length.

The current sounds allow to identify calibres at ranges and that is completely fine.

Did you watched videos from lex? Those are posted little above. please dont try to say its OK.

9 hours ago, laxemann said:

Since version 1.68, all shots at a distance of 50 -.... and more, sound the same, do not depend on caliber, weapons, such as armored vehicles, or anything else. Everything sounds like at one distance. The spread of the sound of a shot is limited - the lack of direct visibility of the source of sound. Start the NATO demonstration mission, and see how everything sounds and works. Throw a smoke grenade, and lose 90% of the sound level of the shot.

In this video, I demonstrate how the sound of the machine gun and sniper rifle varies. In the first position - I'm in direct line of sight from the sound source. In the second position - I'm not in direct line of sight. As you can see, the sound of the machine gun is greatly lost, and the sound of the rifle has not changed much. In the game, now, this effect works at any distance for all types of machine guns.

• Like 1

After todays update, the wind noise is pretty loud in some main menu scenes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, R3vo said:

Honestly, I'd be more careful of tweaking these things based on opinions that don't even specify their sound configuration. One day the wind is quiet and the other it's too loud.

Here's my experience on the latest dev branch: with Logitech speakers, Windows sound at 100, effects volume maxed out, and wind and gusts maxed out in the editor, If I want to hear wind and environment sounds at a realistic level I have to put the speaker knob at about less then half, at which point gunfire sounds ear-shattering loud (like, actually painfully loud).

If I turn the knob left to make my MX acceptably loud on my ears, wind at 100 becomes exceedingly muted, almost unnoticeable.

The only conclusion I can get from this is that, rather than the wind and enviroment being wrong, weapons in this game are too realistically loud. So instead of costantly tweaking enviroment audio, maybe the audio team should look into weapon loudness. (Before someone goes realism and yadda yadda yadda, that doesn't mean my ears should be in pain when playing this game. If you want realistic gun loudness, try firing a gun IRL without ear protection and see how fun it is for your ear health).

One thing I like to do to test sound balance in games is to use Windows equalization, which does a good job of increasing quiet sounds and reducing loud ones. With it on, firing a weapon in this game makes all the other sounds go virtually silent for a good 6-7 seconds, which doesn't happen in any other FPS I've tried (e.g. Battlefield, CS:GO).

There are many examples of loud sounds in this game, worst offenders being the coaxial gun on the Slammer (which has been mentioned a few times in this thread), or even worse, the minigun on the Blackfoot. Firing that thing is painful even with equalization. This, to me, is indicative of something being quite wrong with the overall loudness of the game and maybe needs some looking into.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fushko said:

Honestly, I'd be more careful of tweaking these things based on opinions that don't even specify their sound configuration. One day the wind is quiet and the other it's too loud.

Here's my experience on the latest dev branch: with Logitech speakers, Windows sound at 100, effects volume maxed out, and wind and gusts maxed out in the editor, If I want to hear wind and environment sounds at a realistic level I have to put the speaker knob at about less then half, at which point gunfire sounds ear-shattering loud (like, actually painfully loud).

If I turn the knob left to make my MX acceptably loud on my ears, wind at 100 becomes exceedingly muted, almost unnoticeable.

The only conclusion I can get from this is that, rather than the wind and enviroment being wrong, weapons in this game are too realistically loud. So instead of costantly tweaking enviroment audio, maybe the audio team should look into weapon loudness. (Before someone goes realism and yadda yadda yadda, that doesn't mean my ears should be in pain when playing this game. If you want realistic gun loudness, try firing a gun IRL without ear protection and see how fun it is for your ear health).

One thing I like to do to test sound balance in games is to use Windows equalization, which does a good job of increasing quiet sounds and reducing loud ones. With it on, firing a weapon in this game makes all the other sounds go virtually silent for a good 6-7 seconds, which doesn't happen in any other FPS I've tried (e.g. Battlefield, CS:GO).

There are many examples of loud sounds in this game, worst offenders being the coaxial gun on the Slammer (which has been mentioned a few times in this thread), or even worse, the minigun on the Blackfoot. Firing that thing is painful even with equalization. This, to me, is indicative of something being quite wrong with the overall loudness of the game and maybe needs some looking into.

I agree.  I was putting volume up to hear the environment sounds. Then gunfire was blasting ears. I used the windows equalization option then to counter this.  And to be fair it works well enough. Perhaps not perfect but considering the alternative right now.  

That said. I noticed what Revo was talking about with wind being strangely loud on the start up menu.

Downloaded Malden update just now. And just wanted to say that orchestral soundtrack is friggin' awesome! I got goose bumps like all the time while listening to it. AWESOME!!! Big thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 6:29 PM, R3vo said:

This could only be reprod for one of the Tanoa world scenes in the main menu. This was not related to that specific update but it has been addressed :)

• Like 1

Soldiers gear sounds are too quiet now.

After sound volume increase (modded).

Please BI, have this thing fixed: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T126898

We have the new sound features (shader sys and such) for more than a year now, yet we can't utilize half of it because the engine doesn't recognise/handle the needed data properly. Fixing this would be a huge improvement in Arma's sound.

On 8/7/2017 at 2:01 PM, danil-ch said:

Soldiers gear sounds are too quiet now

If it were up to me... I'd link the volume directly to the soldier weight bar. More weight (gear) = more volume.

• Like 3

Will we be seeing an option in config for independent vehicle weapon firing sounds for 1st and 3rd person/ turned in-turned out, or at least an option to have the vehicle interior occlusion/exclusion effects influencing that vehicle's weapon sounds when inside. It's quite unrealistic having the same audio sample for tanks firing for internal vehicle view and external views.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pingopete said:

Will we be seeing an option in config for independent vehicle weapon firing sounds for 1st and 3rd person/ turned in-turned out, or at least an option to have the vehicle interior occlusion/exclusion effects influencing that vehicle's weapon sounds when inside. It's quite unrealistic having the same audio sample for tanks firing for internal vehicle view and external views.

+1, its was possible long time ago, now there is only engine sound different in 1p/3p.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vasily.B said:

+1, its was possible long time ago, now there is only engine sound different in 1p/3p.

Yup, and the occlusion effects used to work for vehicle weapons in A2 aswell, but now they have work for all sounds except the vehicle's weapons (there was a video showcasing this but I can't find it). Seen as they're adding all these new differentiation in audio for internal external it'd be a massive shame to not also add the option for weapon sound differences, even if bohemia doesn't have the time to create new samples right away for it.

I also remember this in the 1.7 spotrep (Added: An ability to split internal and external vehicle sounds), but absolutely nothing anywhere about how to utilize this, it may not even extend to weapons.

It's quite unrealistic to have an external view at all (AKA 3rd person)!!!

55 minutes ago, Roddis said:

It's quite unrealistic to have an external view at all (AKA 3rd person)!!!

Yes but there is one, and you don't have to be in 3rd person to hear the sound differences between being stood outside or being inside, plus this would extend to being turned in or out regardless of 1st or 3rd person anyway.

There is absolutely no way firing a tank round would sound the same inside compared to outside, this has also been a persistant issue on modded vehicles, such as the A10, that's main gun has to be deafeningly loud in 1st person in order to sound realistic externally.

On that note, would be nice to be able to hear the vehicle horn as a driver. It's very quiet inside even in vehicles like trucks. Problem being it's sometimes hard to figure out if people outside can hear you at all.

• Like 1