There are reportings in other threads about problems in this area.

Ps. Good job on the working new +additions to sounds. sound crew ftw.

I was reporting it year ago :P

Guys, Dusa has added info into the ArmA 3 Sound Documentation. It's pretty good! I'll try and add comments and additional info where necessary. :)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Sound

Anyone else having problems with KBTell SIDE conversations? They work, but not correctly. If you approach a unit speaking on the SIDE channel (first campaign example, Sergeant Adams, speaking to Broadway in Drawdown 2035) their mouths fail to move and the audio is sounding as though it's far away, rather than more direct. It used to be the case that, depending on the player's proximity, the audio would sound more like it does on DIRECT. Can anyone confirm? :)

Thanks!

Can you please produce a little example mission? Things about "broken" voice playback have been reported, but I barely have any repro missions to push to the DEVs. Just one so far about say vs say3d.

:)

• Like 1

I noticed that the voice of the enemy, located nearby, is heard with a very low volume level and as if would sound via radio. Is this intentional, a new feature or something?

Can you please produce a little example mission? Things about "broken" voice playback have been reported, but I barely have any repro missions to push to the DEVs. Just one so far about say vs say3d.

Hope this helps, megagoth! The issue is outlined succinctly in this little mission. :D

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyeg48acx55clhk/Repro_KBTell_Bug.altis.zip?dl=0

If there's any problems downloading the file, let me know.

• Like 1

What's up with the cannon of the blackfoot?

You can barely hear the engine but firing the cannon will make you rip your ears off.

Cheers

What's up with the cannon of the blackfoot?

You can barely hear the engine but firing the cannon will make you rip your ears off.

Cheers

Actually most of sounds are messed up - if you are sitting INISDE of vehicle you can hear your guns as OUTSIDE. 1st person sounds are gone in most of cases (tanks)..... I was reporting it in RC but it was ingored.

• Like 3

Good job on the footstep sounds. They still need some tweaking, but it's already way better than before.

• Like 1

Good job on the footstep sounds. They still need some tweaking, but it's already way better than before.

Could somebody on DEV maybe make a short showcase video? It would be greatly appreciated! (Don't have the space for two installs right now & via <40Mbps Wifi it's not fun to switch back and forth between branches)

Guys, i'm wondering what is option

singleVoice=0;

In profile file, in My Documents/Arma 3?
What does it do?

Could somebody on DEV maybe make a short showcase video? It would be greatly appreciated! (Don't have the space for two installs right now & via <40Mbps Wifi it's not fun to switch back and forth between branches)

I'm in exactly the same situation as yourself, same speeds too. One problem that I have is that you can hear footsteps from outside closed buildings way too well. Would be great to see if they're attempting to remedy this.

As my question wasnt answered, second question - Did anyone from developers know about issue to about missing 1P sounds in ALL vehicles? I dont see anything related to this in changelog, or maybe it was intented?

As my question wasnt answered, second question - Did anyone from developers know about issue to about missing 1P sounds in ALL vehicles? I dont see anything related to this in changelog, or maybe it was intented?

I believe I saw something about that in one of the last changelogs, not sure though.

Came across something weird today,

standing next to a cheetah, and another cheetah roughly 20m away with its turret facing away from me.

Both fired but I only could hear the cannon from the closer cheetah, the other cheetah didn't emit any sound at all when firing.

Didn't have time to go into this but gonna try to upload a repro mission if I come across this again.

Cheers

Came across something weird today,

standing next to a cheetah, and another cheetah roughly 20m away with its turret facing away from me.

Both fired but I only could hear the cannon from the closer cheetah, the other cheetah didn't emit any sound at all when firing.

Didn't have time to go into this but gonna try to upload a repro mission if I come across this again.

Cheers

Maybe number of sound samples setting (32, 64, 96 etc...)?

Set to 128.

Didn't come across the Cheetah bug again, seems to be too situational to reproduce,

still gonna try to put my finger on it.

Another thing that has been bugging me out since forever:

When playing with 5.1 surround and shooting a rifle in first person, the left and right channels are louder than the center channel, the surrounds seem to play some firing sounds as well, which is a bit odd, since the weapon is in front of my head, not behind (it's clearly mechanical weapon related sounds, no ambience/reflections).

What's odd on top of that, when moving the head, the sound doesn't change at all, it's all just a cacophony with all 5 channels playing somewhat similar sounds, no matter if the barrel is near your left or right in game ear.

When switching to third person the sound comes dominantly from the center with some flavor from the LR channels and the surrounds and reacts accordingly to camera position, albeit with a bit too much usage of the surrounds.

In first person when looking forward the center definitely needs to be more prominent, since that's where the weapon is.

Cheers

Set to 128.

Didn't come across the Cheetah bug again, seems to be too situational to reproduce,

still gonna try to put my finger on it.

Another thing that has been bugging me out since forever:

When playing with 5.1 surround and shooting a rifle in first person, the left and right channels are louder than the center channel, the surrounds seem to play some firing sounds as well, which is a bit odd, since the weapon is in front of my head, not behind (it's clearly mechanical weapon related sounds, no ambience/reflections).

What's odd on top of that, when moving the head, the sound doesn't change at all, it's all just a cacophony with all 5 channels playing somewhat similar sounds, no matter if the barrel is near your left or right in game ear.

When switching to third person the sound comes dominantly from the center with some flavor from the LR channels and the surrounds and reacts accordingly to camera position, albeit with a bit too much usage of the surrounds.

In first person when looking forward the center definitely needs to be more prominent, since that's where the weapon is.

Cheers

Ah, thats very old issue. I stopped using 5.1 and switched to stereo system, mainly beacuse of games, second reason - my 5.1 speakers just gone in peace :)

I remember some issue with this in Arma 2, there was allways something with 5.1, 7.1, game was forcing sound to be played into stereo first, then after some fixes in Arma 3 wild things have happen with those systems, but i dont know how it went further as mine speakers was playing in heaven not in my room anymore :)

Some bugs with the new footsteps system.
1) When you move in tactical pace the sound of your footsteps is coming from the left.
2) When you run (not sprint) the sound of the your footsteps is louder on left channel.
  • Like 5

Just some more "auxiliary" tank sound examples:
turboloader (high pitch whine, delayed action)
https://youtu.be/a_jZdfCCP18?t=2m10s
@2:57 same video you can hear the same engine with the cooling fan mounted
If you watch until the end and compare the recording from the back and front you also get a good example for directionality of sound.

With this clarified, one can easily distinguish fan and turboloader on Leo2 engine as well here:
https://youtu.be/g4IkRcnCs9E?t=5m41s

sound directionality for gas engined T-80 (recording is not the greates, but nevertheless...)
https://youtu.be/Aoe25OsTIng?t=31s
same video @ 1:20 you can hear the S-tank; which has gasengine + diesel engine combined (note the loud gear whining).
And @ 6:20 a centurion tries to climb over a snow bank and you can hear the same fan+ loader sounds like in the first link.

And in this you can hear the steel track sounds in mud as well

, especially the part at 8:25 and 9:30
  • Like 3

ugh just lost entire post because btw the preview post option ui is atrocious. but other than that i have some data for you.

Just wanted to say in a much nicer way in the first post that while your into the sounds maybe poke around the sounds of a walking person. long story short got full ruck weapon and mags and  my db reading cell app and upright walking up to about(for me anyway) 40ft per 30sec attributes no additional sound to the environment. I also found that the steps are virtually unnoticeable via db the bdu was actually louder. Also noticed that crawling in game is accurately in db. also found that crawling and crouching is louder than upright walking in a quite manner at no matter the speed. bdu scrapping floor on crawl and unbalanced duck walk and just crouching tends to leave slightly more imbalanced with heavier footsteps as a result at the same speed. 

controls on house db was taken on carpet, tile, and laminate floor at a house db of about 35db no tv's etc, no outside interference.

Not criticizing just giving some data that may not have really ever been taken. I think personally the footstep sound is lacking in terms of db which is less of a concern to me than nice realistic noises. 

Thanks

Added: Support for new zeroing sounds

Can anyone explain what this does?

It just plays a sound when you calibrate your optics or sights.

Nice update over all!

Just a few (minor) observations after a short test round. Don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this?

1. Sea sound (waves etc.) disappears when going prone in shallow water/waterline.

2. Honking horn don't work in first perspective, works OK in 3rd person view (only tested Hunter).

3. The "clicks" when zeroing the scope are gone.

/KC

• Like 1

I can confirm the 3rd point. Didn't test the other 2.

Sorry devs but this is out of negative scale of rating (your work). I have reported 3 or 2 upadtes ago issue, where THERE IS NO FIRST PERSON SOUNDS in vehicles, we can hear damm loud 3rd person sounds instead, and you did nothing in this case. This issue, together with issue of low optimalisation makes this game UNPLAYABLE for me. I have buyed new PC in mind of arma in first place, but it did not helped, higher Ghz CPU didnt helped, and Supportd is not doing its job. Arma 3 is worst game of all i have installed now - in terms of performance (Witcher 3, Forza 6 Apex, GTA V Redux, Wreckfest, Carmageddon Reincarnation), sorry but something is done wrong in this game, and its still not fixed. I have lost my patience now. I spend $$$ on new PC, and game runs worse and game-Ruining issues are ignored. This is not, how Game indisutries work. 1.66 didnt bringed anything worth mentioning (footsteps? why?), and i have lost whole night on downlaoding dammm 10GB. Thank as hell bohemia!