^If it is so, my suggestion would be to create nice firing sounds just per caliber / weapon family, and then the special character could be added by designing unique mechanism (closure) layers for each gun.

• Like 1

For the gun sounds in general, I have the feeling that BIS tries to create very unique sounds for each weapon, but sometimes gets into territory where the guns do not sound like guns, but sound a bit like electronic staplers or drums etc. Please remember BIS, less is more, make it sound like a gun first and maybe then tweak it a bit.

Agreed - this also has the affect that many weapons of the same caliber don't sound anything alike. That's one of the reasons I do like the AK samples - the AK12 and AKM don't sound drastically different. Compare that to the MX and Katiba for example; two 6.5 rifles that couldn't sound more different. The Katiba is very bassy (too much, I think), and the MX sounds like someone slamming a screen door. 

Thread cleaned up - now lets try to stay on topic ;)

• Like 2

Sound guys hard at work, a few bugs made it in though. Reported.

Sound DC offset (pop at end of sound) (at the 1 min mark, listen from 0:58)

Crickets using the "shooting" soundController in a wrong way. They need to STFU when I shoot, not start cricketing.

Also confirming the two points above; DC and reverse volume change for the crickets, though from testing just now I note some cases where the cricket event is playing correctly...

I've noticed with throwables such as grenades that the Throw event for grenades rather that the Detonation event is what triggers the shooting volume controller.

Grenades should be detonation triggered.

Chemlights, should maybe silence sounds in a defined area around them? or have no effect on surrounding audio.

Smoke Grenades, similar to Chemlights, in that they silence sounds in their area for the duration that they are active.

Placeables (Mines/Explosives) are also incorrectly triggering the volume controller during the Place event rather than the detonate event.

Edit: Couple of other observations:

• Throwing a throw-able from a FFV position plays the ground impact sound at the point of throw.
  • The stack of breeze blocks/concrete Blocks seem to play the new rubble ruin sounds, are they classed as a ruin?
  • In EDEN you can hear gulls underwater.

With the new rubble sounds, I think rather than having them play randomly in a position in the ruin, instead have them play related to a player brushing a wall or piece of the geometry (like passing through bushes).

The sound as it is now seems like more of an 'impact' sound induced by player knocking something over rather than the natural decay of architecture, which you'd be unlikely to hear.

Love what the sound dept. has going on though!! B)

E

Personally I like the sounds for the AKs, but yeah, the CMR is weird. The SPAR is too quiet and sounds more like an MP5 or something. It lacks the sharpness of something like the CAR-95, which I also think is pretty good.

They all sound bad to me. Well, except the CMR, it sounds good, but it's just missing... something. Not quite sure what that thing is just yet, but the AKM sound like absolute crap, and the SPAR's all sound bad. It simply does not sound like an assault rifle chambered in 5.56, and neither does the new LIM-LMG which uses teh MK-1 EMR sound. CAR-95's still sound the best and really fitting, i pretty much only use CAR-95's now. XD

A small bug: Sound delay based on distance is missing on building destruction.
Drop a 155mm shell on a building and you will hear the building crumble instantly regardless of how far away you are.

The explosion sound will arrive with the speed of sound, as it should.

A small bug: Sound delay based on distance is missing on building destruction.

Drop a 155mm shell on a building and you will hear the building crumble instantly regardless of how far away you are.

The explosion sound will arrive with the speed of sound, as it should.

Confirmed, its sound of broken glass, very frustrating i can hear it even 1KM sometimes...instantly off course.

I really hope the vanilla weapon and Marksmen DLC weapon firing sounds will be changed to something similiar to APEX weapon sounds.
APEX weapons sound more believable to me. But most of the vanilla and MM weapons sound nothing like a firearm.

For example comparing vanilla 5.56 weapons with SPAR sounds it's like two different games. Vanilla 5.56 sound is just "rattle" noise.
But again Zafir sounds like a beast compared to Navid or SPMG.

What's the point of the metallic hammering sound of MAR-10? I've never heard a weapon like that.

MX-series.

While I get that the vanilla and MM weapon sounds are easy to distinguish from each other and they're memorable, they are just completely off the soundscape and inconsistent.

Goofed around on the Apex release candidate, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me,

but are the voices way more quiet than they had been?

The loudness relation between gun sounds and audible orders (AI brabble) seems to be way off now.

Cheers

Confirmed, its sound of broken glass, very frustrating i can hear it even 1KM sometimes...instantly off course.

I asked Dusa and he said it's a known issue. Will be fixed some time after a much needed vacation. ;)

• Like 1

I don't know if this is an issue on my end but I can hear the sea sound far away from the coast, even on higher ground.. Anyone else?

How far? It's usually the kind of thing you can hear from pretty far, ain'it?

How far? It's usually the kind of thing you can hear from pretty far, ain'it?

Really far , I am on the top of a hill , I can't see the sea and I can still  hear the sea sound. I also disabled sound mods to be sure.

Please increase tank tracks, helicopters and jets sound radius. Right now i don`t hear when tank is coming.

So i got guided here and my question is about the apex sneak preview gun sounds. They seem bit off to me and unrealistic atleast some of them especially the AKM and RPG7 sound. Maybe its just me i dont know but are they going to be the final sounds when apex officially releases??

Really far , I am on the top of a hill , I can't see the sea and I can still  hear the sea sound. I also disabled sound mods to be sure.

Can you provide a simple example mission? I will forward this. 

Please increase tanks, helicopters and jets sound radius. Right now i don`t hear when tank is coming.

Will forward this. Although I gotta say tanks are not that loud at distance in general.

megagoth1702: Have you got any intel on whether vehicle sounds will be improved in the future you are allowed to share?

@megagoth1702 - Some tanks are, some not. But from vanilla tanks (leopard and T-100) you should hear gas turbine from much further than now (now its 200M?). 400M Should be fine on quitet, 320M for louder, and rest for as loud as its 50M from you right now. I'm talking about driving sounds, idle sounds also could be increased about 100M further. Then all modders could easly adjust their vehicles.

Leopard does not have gasturbines. Idk about T-100. Pretty sure it has a setting that represents a diesel. Gasturbines are quiet from afar. Dieselengines are not. But it depends on the direction of the exhaust . If you stand behind a Leopard you will hear it roar for a very long distance. If you stand in front of it, not so much (unless the soundreflection on the terrain boosts it).

• Like 1

Will forward this. Although I gotta say tanks are not that loud at distance in general.

Jets should be heard from at least 5km+. I don't think its physically possible to not hear a fast mover unless it's well, over that audible distance. I have to make my realism jet sound mod audible from at least 7km to make it worth while and immersive, the links in my signature demonstrate this (old  versions). 

I have a video instead:

I have a video instead:

I am not able to reproduce that issue at the exact same spot/area with the vanilla version of Arma 3.

Please deactivate all your modifications and try to reproduce that issue again.

• Like 1

Niki, going from your video, it looks like you're on the 'Sneak Peek' branch (137178) not the most recent Dev branch (137375). So chances are your issue is fixed in the latest build.

E

Ok sound issue with sea sounds is gone.. I removed two start-up launcher parameteres and it seems to solve the problem. The parameteres I removed was -nologs -high.