I'll join in the chorus of praise for the beautiful environmental sounds on Tanoa, all the sound people have really lifted their game! However, one of the jungle sounds is suspiciously similar to the bastard Kookaburra in my street that wakes me up at 430 most mornings. 

• Like 2

I'll join in the chorus of praise for the beautiful environmental sounds on Tanoa, all the sound people have really lifted their game! However, one of the jungle sounds is suspiciously similar to the bastard Kookaburra in my street that wakes me up at 430 most mornings. 

Note to self- add "Bastard Kookaburra" to the list of usernames I'm totally using someday...

• Like 2

I was thinking that as well, sounded very familiar. 

What's still missing is the sound that rain makes on your stuff. Sound of rain hitting your clothes or helmet would be a great addition!

Cheers

• Like 2

Just another pat on the back for sound squad. Killing it.

P.s new a10 gun sound sound sound. Sorry it just slipped out.. ;D

P.s new a10 gun sound sound sound. Sorry it just slipped out.. ;D

This must have been redone 3 times by now already... so is this now a running gag?

Are there plan/developments to increase the distance effects over a larger distance? I'm sometimes disoriented in the sound scape as sound attenuation makes sounds seem further away than the sources. I know the Arma terrain/universe is a little 'pinched' in distance, but I feel the soundscape sounds too pinched.

The sound of multiply explosives exploding at once should be tweaked a bit. Don't think that's how it sounds in RL.

that's caused by resonance (i'd think?). If you play multiple sounds at once and do not alter them randomly (change in frequency) you will have this issue (not just in Arma, in general). Anyone remember what happened in space engineer when firing multiple chainguns at once in early versions? (Not sure if fixed now). Was the exact same thing.

Well, explosion sounds should be increased, so we would not meet same explosion sound twice in minute. Frequency changer same as in soniccrack should be good option.

The sound of multiply explosives exploding at once should be tweaked a bit. Don't think that's how it sounds in RL.

that's caused by resonance (i'd think?). If you play multiple sounds at once and do not alter them randomly (change in frequency) you will have this issue (not just in Arma, in general). Anyone remember what happened in space engineer when firing multiple chainguns at once in early versions? (Not sure if fixed now). Was the exact same thing.

It's called phasing. Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/1pJOkhPTpLo?t=162

So the reason for this is that both explosions are played "nearly at the same time" and due to one sound being played just a few ms after the other the phasing happens and certain frequencies get canceled out which produces this typical phasey sound.

Frequency randomization should take care of this but it is configured too small in the config I can make a small addon that fixes this if anyone is REALLY interested but I am not sure if it is worth the time. Explosions like these dont really happen that often. I will report this and suggest better values to the sound team.

• Like 2

After testing a number of vehicles and weapons, i can already tell there's a lot of work to be done. Thank goodness this the release date is 11 days into Q3.

Weapons

The Type 115 sounds = Good

Protector 9mm Suppressed = Not Good (sounds too loud suppressed as well as sounding like a 5.56 rifle when suppressed)

Ak-12 Sup/Non-Sup = Ok

CMR-76 = Best sounding in the game

AK-74u = Good

CAR-95 = Good

Lim-85 = BAD (Sound used for a different 7.62 weapon, thus and does NOT sound fitting of a 5.56 LMG)

Spar-16 = BAD (sounds... almost muted? It sounds like i'm shooting out of  hollow Bamboo gun, the best way i can describe it, not like an assault rifle)

Spar-17 = Good

PM-9 = Same as other 9mm's, can't really complain about this one.

RPG-7 = Good.

Vehicles

Prowler = Good

Qilin = BAD (sounds for the Pick-Up Truck reused)

MB 4WD = BAD (sounds for the Pick-Up Truck reused)

Xi'an = BAD (It sounds like the UAV fan mixed with the weak sound of a jet engine. Given the size and capability of the aircraft, it should sound much more powerful, and due to the combination of fan and jet engine, and based on the size of the fan, it should be a powerful higher toned whine, but the jet engine should sound more apparent, sort of like a turbo prop, but more powerful sounding.)

V-44X BlackFish = BAD (same thing as the Xi'an, it sounds like any other heli in the game, and not unique. In fact almost all helicopters sound the exact same during start up, or when running, and this is a major issue with the series)

• Like 1

Blackfish needs more base, similar to the huron. It's a beast but doesn't sound like it.

Frequency randomization should take care of this but it is configured too small in the config I can make a small addon that fixes this if anyone is REALLY interested but I am not sure if it is worth the time. Explosions like these dont really happen that often. I will report this and suggest better values to the sound team.

If you find better values, just report them. I am sure the devs will look into it then.

Thank you

The rpg7 sounds very very bad. I think it is using the default titan sounds. It sounds like a model rocket taking off. It should be one loud pop or bang. 

Blackfish needs more base, similar to the huron. It's a beast but doesn't sound like it.

Don't worry, I'm going to be working on a sound mod for it. When I have free time of course. 

Sorry just too let you know I reported a Dev branch audio related issue in the thread below, however this thread was perhaps the best place for it.

Hope it can be resolved or some info passed on if it is intentional.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/page-1001#entry3044795

EDIT: I can confirm creating new .lip files with the latest tools does not fix the problem, so I assume it is something to do with the processing of the .ogg and .lip files.

Thanks,

Rough Knight

Sorry just too let you know I reported a Dev branch audio related issue in the thread below, however this thread was perhaps the best place for it.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/page-1001#entry3044795

EDIT: I can confirm creating new .lip files with the latest tools does not fix the problem, so I assume it is something to do with the processing of the .ogg and .lip files.

Thanks,

Rough Knight

The best place is THIS thread. :) Some kind of video showcase would be nice together with a sample mission. And if you really want to help out, create a ticket with all mentioned things here. :)

Thanks,

Rough Knight

Please find a link to a test mission which exhibits this behaviour. I just downloaded the sneak preview build and this issue still happens for me.

Test mission

Cheers,

Rough Knight

Please find a link to a test mission which exhibits this behaviour. I just downloaded the sneak preview build and this issue still happens for me.

Test mission

Cheers,

Rough Knight

Excellent test mission mate thank you very much! I will forward this ASAP and then only patience will help. The sound guys are hyper busy with Tanoa.

Some (?) of the weapons have falling cartridges sound, but my feeling is that they sound artificial (too regular) and the sound isn't great (I'm not sure what is should sound like). What do you guys think of the spent cartridge sounds and are there plans to further improve them. Or possibly just leave them out?

I don't know if  vehicle sounds are still WIP, but just in case they are. Any chance you could sneak in sounds for dirt hitting the wheel housings?

Listen: https://youtu.be/dM1LUntAcfg?t=2m45s

Does not need to be that load of obstrusive, since it is a rallye car in the video.

I don't know if  vehicle sounds are still WIP, but just in case they are. Any chance you could sneak in sounds for dirt hitting the wheel housings?

Listen: https://youtu.be/dM1LUntAcfg?t=2m45s

Does not need to be that load of obstrusive, since it is a rallye car in the video.

This would defintaly make sense for the open jeeps rushing across Tanoa. I will suggest this. :)

Sound team I have a serious issue. I can no longer tell when it is actually pissing rain and windy outside or if it's just coming from my headset.

I know I'm in the arma jungle and it's raining but I keep looking out over my real domain. It got me killed in an intense mission last night.

Splendid splendid work.

What do you guys think of the spent cartridge sounds and are there plans to further improve them. Or possibly just leave them out?

They should be quite a lot quieter on soft surfaces, brass hitting sand or grass should be barely audible, concrete and other hard surfaces are a different matter of course.