today's DEV had update in relation to distant sounds please re-test

Sound of armor hit (when penetration) still to loud, explosions are more quiet now (dont know why), there is still some internal limit of sample sources played at same time, i have setted 128 and it cutting half of sounds when there is a lot of action (planes, artyllery, tanks, choppers...).

Is this the new sound engine?

could you please share the test mission, e.g upload to dropbox and post ULR here ? :)

• Like 1

this video was already posted here earlier, yes its the new sound engine (in WIP state iirc)

Is this video is about horrible Blackfoot's autocannon sound? If it is then I have to say - it DOES sound awful and the simpliest way to experience it is to play a Combined Arms showcase - there's a Blackfoot flying over your head, shooting, right in the beginning of the mission. And damn it sounds bad.

this video was already posted here earlier, yes its the new sound engine (in WIP state iirc)

Not the same video. I am trying to figure the sound changes through development process, using the same environment. If you look closer, you will see that the development builds are not the same.

Here is the previous one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IIG7-V0BaA

could you please share the test mission, e.g upload to dropbox and post ULR here ?  :)

Not really a mission, just 30 AI vehicles placed in editor with some waypoints, they are fighting just beause its oposite forces, using cam loop.

Not the same video. I am trying to figure the sound changes through development process, using the same environment. If you look closer, you will see that the development builds are not the same.

Here is the previous one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IIG7-V0BaA

Not really a mission, just 30 AI vehicles placed in editor with some waypoints, they are fighting just beause its oposite forces, using cam loop.

Well then why so vague in your posting?have you got a beef with it ir do you just want to know has the new sound engine been implemented? If reports are anything to go by then yes it has been implemented.

Not really, I just like to see the evolution of the sound.

Btw, here the sound with 1.54 (main main branch) before the addiction of the new SFX (sound shaders and sets).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXq3WwuryGE

Also, the sound 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCOXBkSiJ4

If this is not allowed in this thread, I apologise and delete please.

so you just posting it for compare or trying highlight some bug ?

so you just posting it for compare or trying highlight some bug ?

I think it's safe to say just compare. The reason behind that comparison is better discussed in general thread I'd think..

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say just compare. The reason behind that comparison is better discussed in general thread I'd think..

Thank you, I've enjoyed the videos.

Dunno if you guys notice it already, but the channels of a stereo sample are "reversed" in the game. The left channel plays on the right, and vice versa. Don't know if this will be fixed, or shall we just adapt to it and swap channels in our samples before feeding it to the game.

Dunno if you guys notice it already, but the channels of a stereo sample are "reversed" in the game. The left channel plays on the right, and vice versa. Don't know if this will be fixed, or shall we just adapt to it and swap channels in our samples before feeding it to the game.

Nah,this should be fixed in the engine. An example mod that makes testing this very easy (music in right, something else on left channel for example) would help speed up the process.

we tried to simulate this problem, to no avail

can you provide us with simple examples / reproduction mod/configs and such ?

ideally wait for next DEV branch build just to be sure

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, I noticed this with weapon sounds. I mixed a certain noise to the right channel only, and ingame I can hear that on the left.

Can't show examples now.

I'm in a hurry but can confirm this from around a month back, I did a reload sound for a weapon and ingame the channels were switched. Sorry for not being able to post an example

Bug- The Darter/Tayran  does not stop playing engine sound for its current state after disassemble . as of now you have to wait till engine is fully stopped then disassemble. otherwise you run around with the backpack and Darer engine sound buzzing. not a huge deal as said you can wait till its fully off before packing up. 

Bug- The Darter/Tayran  does not stop playing engine sound for its current state after disassemble . as of now you have to wait till engine is fully stopped then disassemble. otherwise you run around with the backpack and Darer engine sound buzzing. not a huge deal as said you can wait till its fully off before packing up. 

Very old bug, I reported this several versions ago (feedback tracker) :(

Other stuff:

Am I the only one who thinks that having soldiers scream out of pain would be an awesome addition? I think now the stable version might have something like that, but that's only audible from very close.

For April 1, one of our changes was that players who die had the chance to play the Wilhelm Scream and apart from it's being a joke (the sound itself) I gotta say it was pretty immersive experience hearing soldiers scream up from far away.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks that having soldiers scream out of pain would be an awesome addition? I think now the stable version might have something like that, but that's only audible from very close.

For April 1, one of our changes was that players who die had the chance to play the Wilhelm Scream and apart from it's being a joke (the sound itself) I gotta say it was pretty immersive experience hearing soldiers scream up from far away.

You're not the only one. Would be awesome if this could be made so if you're hit on leg or arm or you die on leg/arm shot you always make a scream. Headshot never screams and chest shot have some chance.

• Like 2

Explosions are still muffled inside buildings (when you are inside as well). Same with glass being shattered by gunfire and AI talking.

I'm making an indoor scenario, and those three issues are really noticeable and immersion breaking.

Just wanted to drop into this topic to congratulate BIS on the huge overall improvement of the sound throughout development (along with many other parts of the engine).

I didn't want to revive this thread but - it's Dusa's birthday today! Hurray! :) They are working hard on environmental sounds for Tanoa right now (including recording "rain elements" inside a studio because there were too many birds outside :lol: ). We will have some sweet jungle feel when it releases. :)

Explosions are still muffled inside buildings (when you are inside as well). Same with glass being shattered by gunfire and AI talking.

I'm making an indoor scenario, and those three issues are really noticeable and immersion breaking.

Oh, that needs to be reported. Can you provide a small test scenario mission in case I won't be able to reproduce this on my own. I have not really worked with arma for a few months, I am not good with EDEN editor...  :ph34r:

<- wooo -> sound of excitement

On DEV branch I was able to reproduce muffled explosions inside. This is weird but I am not sure this can be solved soon because of how the system works that decides whether you are inside a building or not.

Was not able to reproduce this with the dialogue and glass shattering. Could use help with that.