I'd like to ask the developers if we there are plans to re-introduce sound occlusion by objects. We had that in Alpha or Beta, and it was great. Hell, we even had it in Arma 1... :)

OK, i think i discovered somethin related to start parameters and sound. On some devhub post i readed the cpucount=1 may create problem of no sound, i was using cpucount=4 and all extreads options - disabled them all and sound seems to be played normally. Before that, lot of sounds was not played, when there was more than ~15 sounds at same time. Can you check if it work on your ends? Its adressed to everybody missing some sounds in random moments.

OK, i think i discovered somethin related to start parameters and sound. On some devhub post i readed the cpucount=1 may create problem of no sound, i was using cpucount=4 and all extreads options - disabled them all and sound seems to be played normally. Before that, lot of sounds was not played, when there was more than ~15 sounds at same time. Can you check if it work on your ends? Its adressed to everybody missing some sounds in random moments.

what CPU is in your PC ?

what CPU is in your PC ?

I5 4690 4x3,5GHZ, but i was mistaked, sounds are still disapearing..... :( I have 128 sounds setted in game setting, but it seems to be some internal limitations to ~64. I have integrated Realtec HD audio.

I5 4690 4x3,5GHZ, but i was mistaked, sounds are still disapearing..... :( I have 128 sounds setted in game setting, but it seems to be some internal limitations to ~64. I have integrated Realtec HD audio.

If you are playing singleplayer, can you provide the mission file? It would also be very nice to see the situation in a video. The closer we can get to reproducing the issue the faster we can solve it.

A system that dynamically manages hundreds of sounds is complicated to set up. A simple "first in first out" system would not always work. For example the "oldest" sound in a scene might be an environmental sound like rain, you would not want to kill that sound for a footstep for example.

I don't know how the system works right now but I will look into it, this bugs me as well now. :D Although I have to say that I tested the marksman weapons (MGs) on dev branch today and the sounds did not get cut off like in the RC release.

What happened to sonic cracks? Pretty sure I remember them being noticeably different based on caliber.

Also, there is like one sound for all sonic cracks. There is not even a slight variation in pitch or something. Same exact sample being played over and over.

Sneaky sneaky, seems like sound occlusion was added:

• Like 3

I'll be damned, this is super!  :angel:

Sound of ejected casing falling on the surface is still broken.

1.54 (you can clearly hear the sound ejected casing falling on the floor)

1.56/1.57 (nothing)

Please, decrease a little (for 40-30%) armor hit sound on external camera. Its so loud i can deaf. It already damaged one of my high tone speaker.

There shouldn't not be any 'oclusion" sound effect, you are in an open environment, its physically and realistically impossible to have such sound perception.
Occlusion sound is used mainly used for closed ambiance, like doors open/closed and/or considerable large barriers, like, for instance, walls.
A small rock ...  only can be some kind of joke.

Apparently only works for shooting right now. Sound of heli engine, for example, doesn't change.

it's likely that's why it wasn't announced :P

To be hypercritical as always in the video example of soundocclusion only the higher frequencies have to be lowered in volume by the rock.

Here how it should sound (the first 30s of the video) from the godfatha of echo, tpm:

Best way to check it out is to spawn 2 tanks, yourself in one of them, make it undestroyable, and let second tank to shot you, Off course in 3rd person view. [be sure to take your hands on your ears]

To be hypercritical as always in the video example of soundocclusion only the higher frequencies have to be lowered in volume by the rock.

Here how it should sound (the first 30s of the video) from the godfatha of echo, tpm:

Funny to see this shit I made years ago as a positive example of audio in Arma.

You guys are so faithful. I love you all! :D <3

With the recent changes in the sound engine, things became a bit easier. I just got to use to this dynamic mixing of layers... In ACSE I had to use a pre mixed sample for the given situations, meaning we had for example ak74_1p_woodland_houses.wss, m16_forest_medium_muffled.wss etc and while it meant a great hussle, at the same time it gave me a certain freedom and control. Still, I love the new sys BI implemented (or shall I say: started implementing) and if there will be ACSE one day, it will mainly be powered by the stock audio engine.

OK, i rolled Dev branch on my pc and so far i maybe repeat myslef, but i wanna those report be heared by audio devs:

- Sound of armor hit (rocket, tank sabot hitting armor) sound is way too loud;
- Sounds of ground and air vehicles explosion (turning into wreck) are not audiable over distance, and overally can be louder on distance >50M and more|
- There should be higher limit of sound samples playing at once available, as every sound have now more samples, lot of sounds are not played at all (while firefight going on), beacuse this limitation.

Vasily.B best post videos with audio recording

and exact description

which sounds are too loud (e.g. what tank firing which ammo and what tank was hit)

which sounds are too quiet or fade too fast (e.g. not heard over 50m) (e.g. what copter was crashing)

the last one probably needs video + describe which sounds are missing from the fray

today's DEV had update in relation to distant sounds please re-test

Might that problem which Vasily.B mentiones - when some sounds aren't played - be connected with the fact that audible distance of sonic cracks is astounding 400 metres? Considering that you actually cannot hear them further than 150-170 metres (which I personally think is waaaaay too much) because they become too quiet compared to all other sounds, isn't it an unnecessary waste of calculating power?

Hi all,

A very quick question regarding the audio development - on the subject of the gunfire tails and audio occlusion, namely the reverb-like effect that you hear when firing weapons indoors, how does the game know that you are inside a structure and a different audio tail needs to be played? For example, is it something that is defined in the structure's config, or in the model's geometry LOD? I can't find any information on the subject and would like to be able to employ such effects for custom buildings. I understand the tails are defined in the weapon config, but I don't know how they're registered in-game. Thanks in advance, for any help! :D I know this is feedback thread - so my apologies if it's a little off track!

@Megagoth1702 - mate! You're nothing short of a legend! :D Thanks so, so much!