I for my part welcome those changes. Although the Reverberation is a bit too much, but that's a taste thing.

Distance effects are very good, hearing artillery guns fire in the distance in vanilla A3 is a dream come true.

Did anyone else notice that when firing firearms it sounds like some badly converted MP3s or 22.05kHz samples with boosted high end with those high end artifacts going on?

It's most prominent on the MX series and the Zafir, On Katiba Rifles this is also present but barely noticeable.

The slammer 120mm cannon does this aswell, very gritty high end, doesn't really fit to the rest of the sounds.

Cheers

When firing one of these weapons beyond 30 rounds, only the tail of the shot can be heard.  

Based on my testing, it only applies to these weapons which are all apart of the Marksmen DLC pack:

Navid
Mk-I EMR
Mk14
SPMG

The bug persists in both 3PP and 1PP but it seems harder to do in 1PP.  It can also be done on semi-automatic as long as your fire rate is high enough.  I haven't created a feedback tracker ticket yet though.

Having same issue with RHS T-90A commander MG, i believe it happen to most of weapons, as there is too much tails/sound samples played - game seems to not use 64 sound samples even if setting in audio settings says so.

Did anyone else notice that when firing firearms it sounds like some badly converted MP3s or 22.05kHz samples with boosted high end with those high end artifacts going on?

It's most prominent on the MX series and the Zafir, On Katiba Rifles this is also present but barely noticeable.

My crusade against the MX sound goes back years. The sound itself just isn't good - it simply doesn't sound like a gun. Sometimes it's okay when there's a prominent tail behind it, but only because the tail is masking how bad it sounds..  One of the single shot variants is especially jarring because it sounds so different compared to (and worse than) the other. I prefer how it sounded in the Alpha to the way it is now. Same for the Katiba.

But the current holder of Worst Sound in the Game goes to the coax MG on the Slammer, and probably some other vehicles. It's really unpleasant.

• Like 2

Wow, i need to say this - FINALLY I DONT NEED ANY SOUND MOD! all changes you made are incredible! Explosions are so real, so deep.... Off course there is few missing thinks, but i think its not big deal - adding few sounds more will resolve problem;
- Sounds of falling objects in 1p and 3p inside vehicle (when driving through fence, crashing into something) - JSRS had very good sound set for that - he had 6 sounds, while there is only 2 or 1 in vanilla.

- Sounds of round hit in vehicle (1p) - totally missing.
- Turret rotation sound for tanks in 1p
- Sound of falling bodies to the ground
- sound of parachuting

THATS ALL i miss.

I think it dont require much work, but it will improve gameplay immersion a lot

My crusade against the MX sound goes back years. The sound itself just isn't good - it simply doesn't sound like a gun. Sometimes it's okay when there's a prominent tail behind it, but only because the tail is masking how bad it sounds..  One of the single shot variants is especially jarring because it sounds so different compared to (and worse than) the other. I prefer how it sounded in the Alpha to the way it is now. Same for the Katiba.

But the current holder of Worst Sound in the Game goes to the coax MG on the Slammer, and probably some other vehicles. It's really unpleasant.

On the contrary, it's quite different for me. The Alpha sounds were absolutely horrific, especially the Katiba. When they updated the Katiba, it actually sounded like a gun and not some weird muffeled mono sample. The sounds have vastly improved, and there's nothing to suggest they haven't. However they are work in progress, nothing is quite finished yet. I have to agree with the MX though, as the MX could use some work still. The reason I feel the MX sounds sucky, is because even though it's updated, they tried to keep it like the original. What I mean by this, is they separated a single sample, which was the MX shot and tail, and now, it resembles a bark, and tail. It gives me the gun is made of some kind of alloy actually, instead of metal, but still doesn't sound like a gun.

I found 2 potential bugs:
I almost dont hear Hunter engine on idle (including turning on)
Helicopters are very quiet (even those on 500-400m)

It still seem to me that the game lacks speed of sound simulation for some sounds such as engines. If an helicopter gets blown up within earing range it's very noticeable as the sound of the rotors cut right away followed by the explosion.

Known issue, very hard to track down. Working on it.

It still seem to me that the game lacks speed of sound simulation for some sounds such as engines. If an helicopter gets blown up within earing range it's very noticeable as the sound of the rotors cut right away followed by the explosion.

SoS for vehicles has not yet been touched so I would not expect it to work right now.

It's a known issue and noone really knows what's going on there :(

Hey guys,

after playing around on King of the Hill server I noticed that two indoor weapon tails sound pretty strange. I am speaking of these sound tails you can hear if you are standing outside of a building or a city.

First the MX classes: You can hear the same near distance indoor sound sample even on far distances. It only is quieter and attenuated. Other weapons have their unique near distance indoor sound tail but a different far distance indoor sound tail.

Second the TRG-20/21: It seems that the indoor sound tail has a very big radius. If you are standing outside of a building (30 meters away from the gunman)  and a unit inside that building is firing the TRG, it sounds like the unit is firing his gun right next to you. The sound is really loud and distracting. But the distance indoor sound tails of the TRG are fine.

Maybe it is just me but it would be great if someone else may check on these indoor sound tails.

Does anybody noticed that some sounds are not played? Just like there is some limit of sound sources played in same time. It no matter that i set in aduio settings 128 or 64 channels, still, there is some forced limitation.

Hey guys,

after playing around on King of the Hill server I noticed that two indoor weapon tails sound pretty strange. I am speaking of these sound tails you can hear if you are standing outside of a building or a city.

First the MX classes: You can hear the same near distance indoor sound sample even on far distances. It only is quieter and attenuated. Other weapons have their unique near distance indoor sound tail but a different far distance indoor sound tail.

That's because the "echo" (which is totally unrealistic) and also because there are only 2 "echo samples" that are randomly placed, no matter the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXm29T2bgmQ

#echo/report

That's because the "echo" (which is totally unrealistic) and also because there are only 2 "echo samples" that are randomly placed, no matter the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXm29T2bgmQ

#echo/report

Yes, I know that there are no big variations. Thanks for the video.

I am missing different indoor sound tails if you stand outside a building (>100m) and someone fires some shots inside that building with the MX.

Other weapons (even the TRG 20/21) have different indoor sound tails if you hear them from the distance. These tails are different if you stand near or in a building.

The MX has the same tail and it doesn't matter if you stand close to a building or far away from that building.

Maybe will will experience some more tweakings in the next updates.

Found some regression. Sound of ejected casing falling on the surface is broken.

1.54 0:35

Now

For me lot of sounds are not played sometimes, is it normal?

Getting this too, when they're is a lot of audio stuff going on, I can walk near AI firing and the gun has gone silent, no good repro at the moment though. Maximum number of sounds played at once maybe?

• Like 1

Getting this too, when they're is a lot of audio stuff going on, I can walk near AI firing and the gun has gone silent, no good repro at the moment though. Maximum number of sounds played at once maybe?

Yeah, i'm sure  there is some internal limitation. Settings makes no diference - 128 and still the issue.....

Yes, I know that there are no big variations. Thanks for the video.

I am missing different indoor sound tails if you stand outside a building (>100m) and someone fires some shots inside that building with the MX.

Other weapons (even the TRG 20/21) have different indoor sound tails if you hear them from the distance. These tails are different if you stand near or in a building.

The MX has the same tail and it doesn't matter if you stand close to a building or far away from that building.

Maybe will will experience some more tweakings in the next updates.

I see, you are referring attenuation.

In first place and in my opinion the sound sample does not sound like a weapon firing indoor, but the attenuation is somehow working.

However, the "indoor echo" sound sample is not.

Tale a look at 0.24 and see how 3 rounds fired "missed the echo".

In the video there is a single MX firing indoor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxPySGg1ZbE

Can you please make the "echo" sound from weapon fire linked and related to surrounding environment?
Atm, no matter where we are,we just the have same "echo" sample.

I could swear I heard different echos, based on the surroundings, on devbranch before the 1.56 update. :huh:

Can you please make the "echo" sound from weapon fire linked and related to surrounding environment?
Atm, no matter where we are,we just the have same "echo" sample.

There are different reverb types, just not for the cases you'd like them to be.

These types are

Meadows (no special surroundings)

Trees (Trees nearby)

Forest (Inside a forest)

Houses (Urban/City)

Interior (Inside buildings)

• Like 2

There are different reverb types, just not for the cases you'd like them to be.

These types are

Meadows (no special surroundings)

Trees (Trees nearby)

Forest (Inside a forest)

Houses (Urban/City)

Interior (Inside buildings)

Well, I am not able to distinguish any of it.
But there are by far some other situations that are breaking the game, to me.

For instance, this one..
Weapon being fired indoor but after some distance the sound lose reverb (echo) and the sound becomes the same as if the weapon was being fired outdoor.
Also depending if we are approaching or getting away, the distances from where we lose/gain the reverb are not the same.

With this I am not blaming anyone, I am perfectly aware that these are known situations of XAudio2 limitations in matters of directional, positional and attenuation (usualyl called 3D sound), when we start do add effects.
I just think that this is not suitable for a game like ARMA 3 in matters of quality, I have higher expectations that I consider legitimate.

some issue with cfgSoundSets fixed in DEV/internally

• Like 2