whats ofp?

It stands for Ornitofurepachyceps, a dinosaur (extinct now).

Guards! Seize him!

lol!

whats ofp?

.. I think he's referring to Operation Flashpoint. Can't but think back to OFP with ECP.. oh the nostalgia!

I've been following the recent changes and I really like what I'm hearing! The state of the audio right now, I think is the best yet in the series and I'm really anxious to see where this is going.

One thing that I would really like to see fixed is the sound of missiles being stuck to the launcher instead of following the projectile, this is one thing I think would add alot to the soundscape.

• Like 1

The new sounds are wonderful, in "air superiority" it´s a "win", the sounds of 50. cal; falling debris; rockets. Its a full immersion into the game, only missing more bass (low freq.)to mimic earth vibrating due to explosions and long travel sound. Off-topic: complete the audio, smoke columns  needs to be higher and long duration...

Off-topic: complete the audio, smoke columns  needs to be higher and long duration...

So needs the fps ;) Smoke eats fps very heavily so I'd like to see newer technology first.

• Like 2

The new sounds are wonderful, in "air superiority" it´s a "win", the sounds of 50. cal; falling debris; rockets. Its a full immersion into the game, only missing more bass (low freq.)to mimic earth vibrating due to explosions and long travel sound. Off-topic: complete the audio, smoke columns  needs to be higher and long duration...

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IIG7-V0BaA

Btw, which weapon is 50. cal? 

So needs the fps ;) Smoke eats fps very heavily so I'd like to see newer technology first.

This by *E+20

Although it swallows fps more if you are very close to the particle/ "textureplane" with alpha map.

If you make a very simple gun model that permanently displays the muzzleflash, go into VR map and use weapon zoom ... i get a drop from 50 to 30 fps. Just because of the muzzleflash, which is like... 8 polygons.

When will we see the transition to the new sound system for the vehicles? They sound even more broken currently (at least that's how it felt to me), seems a couple of "modifier variables" (speed and rpm)  for volume and pitch broke

• Like 1

This by *E+20

Although it swallows fps more if you are very close to the particle/ "textureplane" with alpha map.

If you make a very simple gun model that permanently displays the muzzleflash, go into VR map and use weapon zoom ... i get a drop from 50 to 30 fps. Just because of the muzzleflash, which is like... 8 polygons.

Same here, if I zoom in and fire a weapon in full auto I lose 20 fps. I've always wondered if there's some sort of mod that disables muzzleflashes in 1st person.

To me the sound is beyond my expectations, and far far away for the "children party" sounds that we have now or the "thud" of another called "sound mods".

Listening carefully is even better than my beloved DragonFyre.

The sound is powerful, clear, with good echoes and the feeling playing is like you have a real gun not a plastic stick.

For me it is clear that the "true" sound engineers have ignored the pedantic stupidity of some "wannabes"  and put focus improving the game feeling.

• Like 3

Also, 

Someone know why we cant hear the sounds coming from behind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6JRPKbUZ4

Since the issue has not yet been reported on the issue tracker - as soon as I get the mission file from your test I'll report the issue. This is pretty bad and needs to be looked at. Good find!

[...]

When will we see the transition to the new sound system for the vehicles? They sound even more broken currently (at least that's how it felt to me), seems a couple of "modifier variables" (speed and rpm)  for volume and pitch broke

We are going to have to wait for vehicles. There are technical problems like: "How do you make speed of sound for looped sounds work flawlessly in every situation?". These will be tackled as soon as the basic features of the new sound engine REALLY work reliably, which they do NOT at this time so our best bet is - patience, as usual. :) There is only so much one audio programmer can do.

To me the sound is beyond my expectations, and far far away for the "children party" sounds that we have now or the "thud" of another called "sound mods".

The sound is powerful, clear, with good echoes and the feeling playing is like you have a real gun not a plastic stick.

For me it is clear that the "true" sound engineers have ignored the pedantic stupidity of some "wannabes"  and put focus improving the game feeling.

Well, good to read that you are finally more happy. ;)

• Like 1

Speaking of "pedantic wannabes" and "children party", let's say that the echoes are the reason why some other sounds are absorbed, since when the open sean returns echoes? 

I am asking because in the video above the echo is coming direclty from the sea,

Since the issue has not yet been reported on the issue tracker - as soon as I get the mission file from your test I'll report the issue. This is pretty bad and needs to be looked at. Good find!

We are going to have to wait for vehicles. There are technical problems like: "How do you make speed of sound for looped sounds work flawlessly in every situation?". These will be tackled as soon as the basic features of the new sound engine REALLY work reliably, which they do NOT at this time so our best bet is - patience, as usual. :) There is only so much one audio programmer can do.

Well, good to read that you are finally more happy. ;)

I can ear perfecly the shoot of the IA but only is shooting in 1.36 from behind...

Correction*

I think the programmer is using a sound bubble around the camera to avoid excesive sound sources, when the camera is near of the designed sound source the sound is render seems theres a problem with this "bubble" or may be the bubble isnt circular in shape.

And making a simple calculation (30 bullets * 16 men)*echoes+reverb+occlusion per minute etc,etc there's no pc with horrible audio integrated cant do render this amount of sound sources in the entire earth.

Add to this  sound the "marvellous and high latency" directsound driver - or something - and you have a perfect storm to play mavellous slideshow in your game.

The only way is improve this is changing to the audio driver to asio or wasapi with an dedicated audio card with proper low level driver support.

Now with pc audio integrated with shitty realtek audio "card" we have this sound, and I very happy for that because is one most realistic sound in the entire industry.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  The changes you've made are AMAZING!  I've been very disappointed with the audio in this game.  Frustrated that I couldn't tell where a shooter was based on the sound location of the gunshot.  I could have someone shooting at me 50 feet away and I couldn't tell if they were beside me, behind me, or in front of me.  Now I can finally here a gunshot and know where the enemy is based on were the sound of the gunshot came from.  Not only have you fixed that, but now I can also here where enemies are by their chatter.  If they're in the building across the street, it sounds like they're in the building across the stree because the sound is more muffled. If they're beside the building across the street, it sounds like they're beside the building.  And the sounds of the weapons?!?!  They sound like real weapons now!  They actually have feeling!  You can hear the echo of the gunshots too!  You have restored my faith in you Bohemia!  GREAT WORK!!!!

• Like 2

definitely please provide us with simple, effective, easy to reproduce cases , repro-steps or directly whole repro-missions

while videos / audio recording can help, they will not solve what the QA and programmers need to retry / repeat / analyse

• Like 1

When firing one of these weapons beyond 30 rounds, only the tail of the shot can be heard.  

Based on my testing, it only applies to these weapons which are all apart of the Marksmen DLC pack:

Navid
Mk-I EMR
Mk14
SPMG

The bug persists in both 3PP and 1PP but it seems harder to do in 1PP.  It can also be done on semi-automatic as long as your fire rate is high enough.  I haven't created a feedback tracker ticket yet though.
  • Like 1

Hello,

Some thread clean up has occurred and I have hidden some posts. Please let me know if you feel your post should not be hidden by sending me a private message.

Please keep posts on topic with the thread and avoid any back and forth offtopic discussions between individuals. You may use private messages for those.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck 

• Like 3

I'm trying to create a custom sound effect for a ship using vanilla sound system (without resorting to scripts), basically once a certain damage threshold is reached an alarm like a loud siren should go off.

I was looking at the sound controllers used in the game and there doesn't seem to be anything i could use for regular vehicles, however helicopters have "transmissionDamage", "motorDamage" and "rotorDamage" under class Sounds{}:

class damageAlarmInt
            {
                sound[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\vehicles\air\noises\heli_alarm_opfor",0.31622776,1.0};
                frequency = 1;
                volume = "engineOn * (1 - camPos) * ( 1 - ((transmissionDamage factor [0.61, 0.60]) * (motorDamage factor [0.61, 0.60]) * (rotorDamage factor [0.51, 0.50]))) * (rotorSpeed factor [0.0, 0.001])";
            };
            class damageAlarmExt
            {
                sound[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\vehicles\air\noises\heli_alarm_opfor",0.2238721,1.0,20};
                frequency = 1;
                volume = "engineOn * camPos * ( 1 - ((transmissionDamage factor [0.61, 0.60]) * (motorDamage factor [0.61, 0.60]) * (rotorDamage factor [0.51, 0.50]))) * (rotorSpeed factor [0, 0.001])";
            };

Is there an equivalent for regular vehicles that don't have RTD - or any plan to add one in a future update?

I know there is soundDamage but this doesn't work for anyone that isn't a passenger and offers basically no control over how it works.

When firing one of these weapons beyond 30 rounds, only the tail of the shot can be heard...

I swear that happened to me when firing the armed Hellcat's miniguns. Not sure if it's the same problem, but for some seconds there was simply no sound at all.

What is 100% sure:   if you fire with Hellcat or Pawnee (7.62 minigun) and you doubleclick/tap on the fire key, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlTV3WfDSo

Basically, there's a short delay before the sound is played again, however I'm already firing the miniguns.

Guys, back on topic of audio please.

Some changes (in matters of attenuation and sound samples) to those bullet cracks sound (supersonic boom) would be apreciated, because at this point they are absorbing all  the other sounds.
This makes you to lose the awareness in the battle ground, something fundamental in a game like this.

It is me or the new audio it's tied to the viewDistance? I usually use a low VD (1500-2000), and didn't had any troubles with distant explosions before. Now I can't hear it if they're beyond this range...

I have mixed feelings about the change of the sounds. For me all sound kind of over attenuated / high-pass filetered. Its feels like being under water.

Also experienced bug when I was near a factory building but the interior (?) samples were played.  

Tested in multiplayer (EUTW) without mods. However I think that sound not affect the sounds. 

Anyone has the same experience?

I played with CiA last night, and all I have to say about the sounds is wow. We had an autocannon open up on us, and it was truly fear inspiring. (some of the rifle and machine gun sounds could do with being snapier and relatively louder, but overall its so much better now)

I have mixed feelings about the change of the sounds. For me all sound kind of over attenuated / high-pass filetered. Its feels like being under water.

Also experienced bug when I was near a factory building but the interior (?) samples were played.  

The first is definitely something wrong at your end if the sound really is like under water.

If I'm not mistaken, the interior sounds are applied when there's an interior texture under your feet, you might want to create a ticket about the specific location/building.