Those are not Cricket sounds, that's literally what my previous post, up there ^ was about. Not quite sure what the bug is called though, they are as loud as it is in game, as they are in real life, the only issue is that the sound really should be coming from every single tree or bush.

Cicadas.

I can't hear the bullet impacts in that video, all I hear is the sonic cracks. You need to be closer to the actual impact to hear it, preferably without other bullets flying past in sonic speed. @2:57 I can hear a bullet impact because then the camera is close to a bullet hitting dirt. And that sound is nice imho.

The problem is all that we can hear is exaclty the sonic cracks and all sound exactly the same, thats the issue.

Something like this is what you should have when you are under fire, (taking in consideration all relevant aspects, suck like environment, objects, terrain wheater, wind, etc).

We dont have have nothing of this, we just have a copy and past of those "sonic cracks", whatever the situation.

https://youtu.be/AoUecMPDg14?t=2m12s

https://youtu.be/AoUecMPDg14?t=4m40s

Do you feel that you under fire? Where are the impact and the sounds related with bullets flying over your head? Can you hear or feel it? I cant.

I'm getting the impression that you think the sonic cracks are supposed to be the sounds of bullets impacting a surface, which they aren't.

I know there is at least a separate sound for bullets impacting metal, and the sonic cracks are the sounds of bullets flying over your head.

I'm getting the impression that you think the sonic cracks are supposed to be the sounds of bullets impacting a surface.

This. 

There's plenty of impact sounds alright but surprisingly they require a bullet impacting something  :blink:

Every surface has its own sounds of course, but here are a few of them.

Im starting to think you people need a soundcard (or something able to produce a sound).

In first place the impact on surfaces, is something that barely exist in this game and some dont have it at all.

In second place the "sonic cracks" are way to loud and all sound the same and in most of situations it goes over all the rest, we just have a non stop row of sonic cracks copies, no matter the situation.

Now, do you think that the "sonic cracks" should sound like we have it?

A copy paste that is being applied in to all situations (way to loud, in most cases), no matter the round speed? No matter the distance from where is being fired? Or even no matter the round caliber?

Is this what you think? If is the case probably you will not understand the following.

If is not, you should know that the way how "sonic crack" sounds is dependent of several factors, like round speed, distance, caliber or even wind speed.

Here is a clue for you.

The sonic crack that we have in game is able to reflect some type of realistic effect or is able to provide some immersion (even if remote)? Is that what you think? If yes, I rest my case.

• Like 2

Im starting to think you people need a soundcard (or something able to produce a sound).

Weren't you the one who is missing sounds?  :unsure:

Granted the sonic cracks are loud and can overwhelm other sounds when you are under heavy fire, but saying Arma doesn't have impact sounds is just BS, besides the sonic cracks are really loud in RL too.

Here's some nice data of a .308

Meaning the crack is just about where a sound becomes painful to the listener, 130-140dB according to the Wikipedia.

Now, I don't know if it would even be of any use to try to simulate the loudness of the crack compared to the bullet speed, other than that of super-/subsonic speeds, which AFAIK is already in the game, i.e subsonic bullet don't snap.

Wikipedia, lawl. Mine experience in these stuff is based on something else.

Anyway,

The main issue is that the "sonic crack" (unique) sample is being applied to every weapon without taking in consideration a few relevant aspects, such weapon type (caliber), distance, speed or environment.

That's why we get the same "sonic crack" sound sample no matter if it is a Gatling at 600 meters or a MX at 3 meters and that is a big game kiiler.

But to be fair, not all weapons have the same "sonic crack".

Now, I don't know if it would even be of any use to try to simulate the loudness of the compared to the bullet speed, other than that of super-/subsonic speeds, which AFAIK is already in the game, i.e subsonic bullet don't snap.

Given the extreme gradient between near supersonic and slightly past supersonic that seems like a waste to me...

• Like 1

In first place the impact on surfaces, is something that barely exist in this game and some dont have it at all.

In second place the "sonic cracks" are way to loud and all sound the same and in most of situations it goes over all the rest, we just have a non stop row of sonic cracks copies, no matter the situation.

Now, do you think that the "sonic cracks" should sound like we have it?
A copy paste that is being applied in to all situations (way to loud, in most cases), no matter the round speed? No matter the distance from where is being fired? Or even no matter the round caliber?

Is this what you think? If is the case probably you will not understand the following.

If is not, you should know that the way how "sonic crack" sounds is dependent of several factors, like round speed, distance, caliber or even wind speed.

Here is a clue for you.

The sonic crack that we have in game is able to reflect some type of realistic effect or is able to provide some immersion (even if remote)? Is that what you think? If yes, I rest my case.

I agree that it would be cool if the sound changes a bit if the bullet is shot further away. Currently it's like it's that same full sound or nothing if enough far away. The impact sounds are there, though they could be maybe bit more audible.

Different bullet impacts and stuff:

Here you can see that there's that full sonic crack or nothing. Also you hear some impact sounds.

So you're telling that in your experience listening to 130-140dB sound is not painful or what?

That's why we get the same "sonic crack" sound sample no matter if it is a Gatling at 600 meters or a MX at 3 meters and that is a big game kiiler.

And now you're telling that IRL you actually can distinct a difference between bullet that flew 3 metres and the bullet that flew 600 metres by the sound it is producing? Are you serious?

Problem with sonic cracks in latest dev branch is that once again you can hear them too far away from passing bullet, so now again you cannot tell if you hear it because someone if firing at you or at somebody who is 70 metres away to the right or left.

UPD:

I actually made an experiment in editor and found out that you actually can hear a sonic crack from bullet passing 150 metres away, maybe even more - that I didn't check. But considering that it wasn't the case in several previous dev versions, I think that it is one of the minor hiccups on the road to glorious splendidness.

The impact sounds are indeed still pretty bad, considering what the sound is supposed to be for. The impact of a bullet isn't going to sound as simple as the tiny ping sound we currently have for all metal surfaces. A few other things are ok, but could seriously use a tweak in volume. Other impact sounds do need to be re worked.

Anyway,
The main issue is that the "sonic crack" (unique) sample is being applied to every weapon without taking in consideration a few relevant aspects, such weapon type (caliber), distance, speed or environment.
But to be fair, not all weapons have the same "sonic crack".

Wikipedia or not, the numbers are correct.  Funny how wikipedia is always ridiculed only after being used to prove against one's argument

What benefits would a full sonic crack simulation bring to the game, to a real gaming situation? What difference would it make for the player, other than slightly different samples every time a bullet flys by?

I'm not against such simulation of course if such thing would be trivial to implement in terms of overall game performance and dev resources, both of which are known to be somewhat sparse, I just don't see a need for it.

UPD:

I actually made an experiment in editor and found out that you actually can hear a sonic crack from bullet passing 150 metres away, maybe even more - that I didn't check. But considering that it wasn't the case in several previous dev versions, I think that it is one of the minor hiccups on the road to glorious splendidness.

You can hear sonic crack pretty far away in real life. But it should be pretty easy to say if it's 5m or 50m from you. Need to test myself how loud it's in the game from further away.

You can hear sonic crack pretty far away in real life. But it should be pretty easy to say if it's 5m or 50m from you. Need to test myself how loud it's in the game from further away.

Well, at 150 metres it is indeed not that loud but still pretty hearable. But at 50 metres it has no difference with that at 0 metres. And do you really can hear it pretty far away in real life? How much is pretty far away? I'm not an expert in any way in this question, but I was at hunt one time and guy was shooting SKS, so I was at like 60-70 metres from the bullet trajectory and I didn't hear anything even remotely resembling a sonic crack. Only thing I was hearing is a shot sound. And why are people who want to record a sonic crack has to shoot almost directly at microphone if you can hear it pretty far away?

In shooting range I heard the snaps easily through shooting. In military service we had 150m and 300m ranges side by side separated naturally with a big wall of sand/earth. I was pretty much in the level of the targets that other range were shooting, around 50m away in the other range.

So those shots were 150m targets and I was in the level of the targets around 50m away with a barrier between.

RK62 should've the same caliber as SKS 7.62x39.

In shooting range I heard the snaps easily through shooting. In military service we had 150m and 300m ranges side by side separated naturally with a big wall of sand/earth. I was pretty much in the level of the targets that other range were shooting, around 50m away in the other range.

So those shots were 150m targets and I was in the level of the targets around 50m away with a barrier between.

RK62 should've the same caliber as SKS 7.62x39.

Well, I wouldn't call 50 metres "pretty far away" =). But basically all that is irrelevant, because what I see as a problem is that since Arma 2 hearing sonic cracks was a strict indication that somebody is shooting at you or ar least at someone or something right next or in front of/behind of you. But right now in Arma 3 it is not the case. Right now the only indication hearing the sonic cracks gives you is that somebody is shooting. I don't think that it is how it should be.

There is a new update, I didn't try it yet but I hope that regards  to sonic cracks everything is back to normal. Cheers.

Well, I wouldn't call 50 metres "pretty far away" =). But basically all that is irrelevant, because what I see as a problem is that since Arma 2 hearing sonic cracks was a strict indication that somebody is shooting at you or ar least at someone or something right next or in front of/behind of you. But right now in Arma 3 it is not the case. Right now the only indication hearing the sonic cracks gives you is that somebody is shooting. I don't think that it is how it should be.

There is a new update, I didn't try it yet but I hope that regards  to sonic cracks everything is back to normal. Cheers.

There is a big difference if it's 5m away or 30m away, I just tested it. The pitch when it's close is different and sounds like it passes close. Further away it's just that "lame snap" like it should be.

In my opinion that's pretty close to what I'd expect in reality.

• Like 2

There is a big difference if it's 5m away or 30m away, I just tested it. The pitch when it's close is different and sounds like it passes close. Further away it's just that "lame snap" like it should be.

In my opinion that's pretty close to what I'd expect in reality.

Nice test setup and great post mate. :) Gotta say, I really really like the speed of sound simulation for bullet cracks.

The impact sounds are indeed still pretty bad

To me they sound like they have been taken over from arma 2 ...

Maybe they can ask their army friends if they would hide some microphones in the tank wrecks on a shooting range and shoot some rifles at it ^^ Alternatively a day at the scrapyard (dont forget to bring stones).

Shooting some small metal plates sounds completely different then shooting a large metal Shoebox.  I know that the M113 120mm Mortar version rings like a bell when the mortar fires and even when you shoot the cupola mounted MG.

• Like 1

The sound is something that need huge improvements in this game.

Dont get me wrong, I love this game, but the sound is not even close from what should be,

Dont get me wrong, I love this game, but the sound is not even close from what should be,

Are you talking about the sounds in stable branch? I thought sounds were much better in RC and Dev Build branch.

Khm. If you haven't noticed it changed a lot since release and with Eden updte will be the best since OFP. Yea, it's still not perfect but the guys working hard and we are thank you for them to making these kind of features post release for FREE! Thank you!

• Like 1

Khm. If you haven't noticed it changed a lot since release and with Eden updte will be the best since OFP. Yea, it's still not perfect but the guys working hard and we are thank you for them to making these kind of features post release for FREE! Thank you!

Yes mate.

https://youtu.be/B-a8Du5RwY4

whats ofp?