I find distant tank canon shots waaaay too loud. Especially compared to all other exlosions sounds.

Any sounds that should be ready for commenting or sounds that are still so heavily WIP that shouldn't be bothered much to comment?

Yeah is hard to tell whats intended and what simply got overlooked. The sounds on stable get such a hard time. Alot don't know the hard work being done right now. So I'm hoping most are solid for when 1.56 drops . Because testing on rc branch was a pleasure due to the new sounds. And most on public servers have no idea what a treat they're in for.

Ps doosa (spelt assways) no I don't expect it for 1.56 hell even be happy for apex . But you made promises on that a10 warthog cannon sound. I believe your exact words were" you will personally oversee it" and on the ground hearing the cannon you will believe you just got a collect call from God himsef. The trumpet of the horseman. Ok maybe you didn't say that last bit..

Agree, really fantastic so far! RC branch is a stunner in general.

The one thing I notice hasn't been tweaked yet as far as levels go, is distance air crashes/explosion when a jet or helo impacts the ground; it is currently very faint.

I suspect that these sounds come under the 'vehicle sound' enhancements, which I believe are due for implementation at a later date.

It is indeed hard to tell what's been configured and what's been an oversight.

Question for the devs:

Are you planning on overhauling the environment sounds after the weapon sounds are "finished" ? There are quite a few sounds, like Owl, birds etc which are available in the editor, but were never implemented into the game itself. In addition, all animals are lacking sounds, Dogs..sheep, goats...

• Like 1

Question for the devs:

Are you planning on overhauling the environment sounds after the weapon sounds are "finished" ? There are quite a few sounds, like Owl, birds etc which are available in the editor, but were never implemented into the game itself. In addition, all animals are lacking sounds, Dogs..sheep, goats...

I would suspect they're aware. Just yesterday I was thinking the same thing, except mainly on the issue of the environment being a single sound 100% of the time, except at sea. Having certain sound only in certain fitting places (jungle, urban, coastal), instead of having insects chirping and hissing in your ear everywhere, would be ideal.

Question for the devs:

yes, i noticed that environment sounds are hardly there if at all. pity, becuase parts of islands could really have their own character with different soundscapes. And for the new tropical island it will be essential. I've lived on a tropicalish island for nearly a year now, and when its summer the noises take on a life of their own, every place with their own. Which does make the sudden silences even more pronounced.

• Like 2

[...]

Ps doosa (spelt assways) no I don't expect it for 1.56 hell even be happy for apex . But you made promises on that a10 warthog cannon sound. I believe your exact words were" you will personally oversee it" and on the ground hearing the cannon you will believe you just got a collect call from God himsef. The trumpet of the horseman. Ok maybe you didn't say that last bit..

I think your prayers have been heard:

• Tweaked: Gatling loop samples (brrrrrrrrt)

Could you play with the cricket(environment) volume a bit. It's too consistent over the time, no matter what happens around the player and where the player goes.

IR the cricket would stop chirring if something loud happens or if you move near them.

Could you play with the cricket(environment) volume a bit. It's too consistent over the time, no matter what happens around the player and where the player goes.

IR the cricket would stop chirring if something loud happens or if you move near them.

Those are not Cricket sounds, that's literally what my previous post, up there ^ was about. Not quite sure what the bug is called though, they are as loud as it is in game, as they are in real life, the only issue is that the sound really should be coming from every single tree or bush.

Autocannons' firing sounds (which are splendid btw) are a bit too quiet compared to their impact sounds, or the impacts are too loud compared to the firing, they overwhelm the cannon itself, thoughts?

What worries me a bit more is that the cannon distant sound has no bass in it at all. Sounds like woodsticks being hit together. There needs to be so much more bass there... I always have to think of this video. It's the high frequencies that get killed over distance, low frequencies survive pretty well. 

Dat bass.

• Like 3

What worries me a bit more is that the cannon distant sound has no bass in it at all. Sounds like woodsticks being hit together. There needs to be so much more bass there... I always have to think of this video. It's the high frequencies that get killed over distance, low frequencies survive pretty well. 

Dat bass.

Now that you mentioned it, it started bothering me like hell, thanks alot dammit  :P

I tried placing a Marshall and some sharpshooters just the other side of a ridge, and an Ifrit for the Marshall to take and an opfor rifleman for the sharpshooters, honestly the firing sounds of the autocannon and the sharpshooters could be switched either way around and there wouldn't be much difference in the outcome.

e.typo

Edited by captainobvious

Now that you mentioned it, it started bothering me like hell, thanks alot dammit  :P

I tried placing a Marshall and some sharpshooters just the other side of a ridge, and an Ifrit from the Marshall to take and an opfor rifleman for the sharpshooters, honestly the firing sounds of the autocannon and the sharpshooters could be switched either way around and there wouldn't be much difference in the outcome.

I'm not sure if it's intended or still WIP, but I don't get why some weapons seem to have pretty much no tails in the open and some do. E.g. MX and Katiba don't seem to have any echo when heard from far away. You just hear a "pop". This video is a great example of that.

Probably WIP or who knows

You just hear a "pop". This video is a great example of that.

no that's not true, it has a tail. It#s just a bit short. And since it is an automatic weapon very long tails like for the sniper rifles could cause problems

The tails are all actually pretty long. Your standard tail. 3-5 seconds. Mostly they are very quiet compared to the shot though.

But all tails are unique, which means if played all together some stand out more than others because of their sonic character. I believe this to be the most significant point here. Also the volume values and curves & distances applied to the guns are not final at all so as with everything in arma (and especially with sound), gotta stay patient. :)

• Like 2

yes i checked today and the autocannons sounds are very WIP. Impact sound only at very close ranges, i couldn't really hear the firing sounds from any longer distance either.

Dat bass.

That's actually a good point. There was a 4K video of a joint South Korean and U.S. Exercise involving all available assets, and you can seriously hear the bass, with some high freq still there, but less pronounced. The Bass was so tremendous, even through the video, that I had gotten dizzy and realized how actually freightening all that fire power actually was.

I don't know if it already reported, but the Blackfoot's gatling launch a long burst even if only one or two rounds are fired.

I don't know if it already reported, but the Blackfoot's gatling launch a long burst even if only one or two rounds are fired.

So, in before they don't patch the audio, but ruin the ability to single fire. In light of that possibility, BI, I know you're considering it, but don't. It's not ideal.

Dat bass.

holy mother of.... arma doesn't come close. not even remotely. this video is earth shatteringly epic.

What I would like to see is some modifications about the sound of the bullet impact.

I mean, right now sounds all the same, no matter the surface where the "bullet" is "landing", is just like crack, crack crack ..

Would be cool, as a matter of game immersion, to have different sounds according to surfaces or objects where the impacts are being done.

Also having some ricochet and wind effects would contribute for the same immersion.

Right now and some times is real hard to figure from where the "bullets" are coming, since the weapons sound can be easily mixed with "bullet crack".

Here as example of what I'm saying.

I can't hear the bullet impacts in that video, all I hear is the sonic cracks. You need to be closer to the actual impact to hear it, preferably without other bullets flying past in sonic speed. @2:57 I can hear a bullet impact because then the camera is close to a bullet hitting dirt. And that sound is nice imho.

• Like 1