Did a quick test for playSound3D, works much better. Doesn't restart the sound file everytime you alt-tab or press escape. Nice.

Mind sharing more info on this?

Sure

So when you set up your cfg sounds you got something like this:

sound[] = {\sound\mycoolsound.ogg, VOLUME, PITCH};

apart from volume and pitch you can also set distance:

sound[] = {\sound\mycoolsound.ogg, VOLUME, PITCH, DISTANCE};

distance being the MAX range the sound can be heard from

• Like 2

[...]

@BI: I would really be happy if a dev could confirm, that the levels of the gunshot audio samples have been checked against the other sound to make sure, that they are still on a safe volume level when setting the overall game volume reasonably.

(And just to make sure I am understood correctly: This is not about how something should sound in the game, nor what would be realistic. I am sure a real war is definitely unhealthy for your ears (and potentially other body parts), but this is not the topic. I am simply seriously concerned about what my ArmA gaming passion does to my ears.  :unsure: )

Not a dev but after my BI visit in April this year I can say - nope, some sounds were rushed in with the marksman update (which introduced weapon tails sounding different in different environments) and are too loud. Also there is this weird 1st person volume boost for weapons right now (which will be removed eventually). This is going to change though, the game will have a volume-remix some day. For now I would recommend either playing on lower volumes or using some kind of external audio-normalization. Many current audio drivers have this, google it.

@Dusa

What can we look forward to concerning overall soundscape like realistic far distant battle sounds?

Again, not a DEV but just got off a 1.5hr Skype with busy, buried in work to the neck Dusa I feel comfy answering some of these. Distant battle sounds = proper distant firing sounds for weapons in game?

It's planned. Read this:

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-audio-roadmap-update

All in all - this core update is fucking amazing guys and we will have very cool stuff in the future. Take a look a this little screenshot...

http://i.imgur.com/vPOIy0K.jpg

It's from a file from the dev branch. ;) There is some cool stuff happening, hehe.

• Like 2

Friggin' fuckin' yeah! It was about time! \o/

Not a dev but after my BI visit in April this year I can say - nope, some sounds were rushed in with the marksman update (which introduced weapon tails sounding different in different environments) and are too loud. Also there is this weird 1st person volume boost for weapons right now (which will be removed eventually). This is going to change though, the game will have a volume-remix some day.

Many thanks for that answer, megagoth!

Although it confirms my concerns it also provides some hope for the future.

I tested a bit more since my last post, and I am pretty sure now that some peaks in 1st person weapon sounds are really too loud.

So everybody using headphones: Be warned, be cautious and check your volume settings!

I have now switched to external speakers for the time being (though I am not sure how long my wife will tolerate that).

(I was thinking about purchasing child-safe headphones for a moment, which limit loudness to a safe 85db, but those are all either pink or Mickey Mouse and.. and.. no, I definitely won't do that!)

Edit:

I have now enabled the loudness normalization option of my audio driver. Thanks again, goth! I didn't know about that option before.

For me that normalization is definitely helpful, but it is probably not an option for the real audio enthusiast. It does not only cut sound peaks but also dynamically increases the lower sounds, which somewhat messes up the complete soundscape.

the impact sounds for AA cannons sound really good now, i like it. havent tested yet but i assume it's similar for the other autocannons

I've been making custom sound composites for weapons for a while now and I've noticed that weird "pop" everyone's been talking about.

I thought for a while there was something wrong with my firing sounds and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how it might be, and then I realized that it is the BI-created soundtails that appear to be the culprit.

I'm not sure if the issue has been addressed, however those tails under the path "A3\Sounds_F\arsenal\weapons\Pistols\4-Five\4-Five_tail_xxxxxx" are all in need of some fixing, I just did a test and it has a very noticeable "pop" sound at the end of any firing sound wherein these tails are used. According to a video made by M3G4G0TH, it's a pretty simple fix.

If you have the slightest bit of OCD hearing a stacatto of them can be like scraping on a chalk board.

EDIT, nevermind apparently it's on the docket, so that's great to hear.

As you might have gathered from a few tidbits of information dropped here recently, there are a few essential changes coming to A3's audio. 

Although public progress might have seemed a bit slow since our recent Audio Roadmap, in truth, we've been working hard to preparing the ground work for all future audio impovements, which basically means the low-level audio engine was completely refactored to support all the new features. 

Together with engine refactoring, we considered it necessary to make a 'cleansweep' of vanilla sound data, so let me announce this first:

Reorganization of sound data (Sounds_F_*):

- There is a new structure of addons containing sounds (some of them were alredy there, some are new): Sounds_F_arsenal, Sounds_F_environment, Sounds_F_characters, Sounds_F_sfx, Sounds_F_vehicles

- These addons correspond with subfolders within the Sounds_F folder

- Remaining folders (air, ambient, missions, structures and weapons) will be DELETED, but samples from there were already copied to appropriate folders (arsenal, environment, characters, sfx, vehicles)

- Addons Sounds_F_EPB, Sounds_F_EPC and Sounds_F_Bootcamp will be removed and samples from there will be also relocated to appropriate folders.

- Sounds_F addon will remain, but it will include configuration only.

- Sounds within the DLCs will remain untouched. (Sounds_F_Mark, Sounds_F_Heli, Sounds_F_Kart)

Second reorganization was performed on Radio Protocol Data (Dubbing_Radio_F_*):

- Sets of samples for specific speakers are no longer organized according to Voice Type, but speaker's spoken/native language and class name

- This means all the samples were moved to different folders; Dubbing_Radio_F_data addon was split into several smaller addons based on speaker's spoken/native language.

Please note, deleting of obsolete folders/addons/samples will happen with the release of Eden Update, due early next year.

In general, things are currently in 'beta' state, so we are finalizing and testing them before announcement. Considering our plans mentioned in the latest Audio Roadmap, it was important to start from the most general improvements, which relate to the unification and customization of sound configuration, together with low-level audio features. Here is quick overview:

Unification / Customization:

- There is new class called cfgSoundGlobals, which will be continuosly filled (during further development) by previously hardcoded parameters (like general attenuation curves, etc.).

- The biggest change is brand new sound configuration architecture, which - together with old features like sample arrays - brings really exciting possibilities! For now, let's mention synchronized multilayering, and custom amplitude attenuation curves in two layers (which can serve for the definition of range-based samples, for example).

Low-level audio features:

We have implemented a first iteration of handling stereo samples we had in plan: Stereo Emitter.

Simple explanation: 

- Anywhere the engine detects a stereo sample as a source, it creates two virtual speakers in the position of sound source. 

- While you are approaching sound source location, the engine 'spreads' those speakers (moves them to different sides), so you can experience a stereo effect at closer range. 

- This approach is appropriate for situations where sound is produced by something clearly localizable (vehicles, explosion, etc.); for reflections and similar sounds, a slightly different mechanism will be used and announced later. 

- Currently, there are two parameters defined in the MultiChannelEmitter class in cfgSoundGlobals set to temporary values (for testing purposes)

- Once we release the new configuration system, it will be set to more appropriate general default values. 

- Custom values for specific sound will be possible within new configuration system, of course!

More details coming soon!

• Like 14

Doosh that sounds awesome but for the 95% of us not named MegaLordChammyLaxeman we understand this

htvYKV9.gif

....much better :P

• Like 2

I would like to know what would synchronized multilayering bring into game audio environment?

Would custom amplitude attenuation curves fix too loud game sound environment?

What audio change will players able to hear with cfgSoundGlobals and general attenuation curves, etc.

If anyone is interested I could explain some stuff from Doosh's post in a video? With paint pro style pictures n sh*t. Considering that I might have much more explaining to do in the near future it might be a good starting point, hehe. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Aight. Done. Took me longer than expected. Whoa. Thinking of how to describe things, preparing examples, re-recording 2 times, cutting, editing, uff. Two hours gone. Video Production is a b**ch when you don't know much about it.

EDIT: A good question was brought up in the ArmA 3's Discord sound_music_makers channel.

Sniperwolf:

The video you did, you mentioned the speakers moving with the direction and illustrated it as both head and speakers moving. Wouldn't that cause the horrible thing with the tails currently where a sound is stuck in one of your ears?

This is a misunderstanding, sorry.

I will answer this to my best understanding. (I might be wrong about this.)

It was more of an extreme scenario example in the paint picture, where you stand exactly ON the sound source. In the grenade example video video you hear that when I'm right on the explosion the debris sound is "stationary" because the virtual speakers rotate with my view but when I move further away and turn my head, the sound comes from the right.

Also the stereo system is not done yet. As mentioned in the OPREP the vector based multichannel panning is still coming. Right now we only have the stereo emitter. The coming system will describe in more detail what happens to the stereo sound depending on listener position & view direction.

Hmm. Thinking now how to fix that misunderstanding in the video. Suggestions? Please PM me, don't write it in this thread.

• Like 14

Hero effort Megagoth.  (and, of course,  the Arma sound design team!)  :thumbs: 

Very nice presentation megagoth as always, had goose bumps when I (atleast I think I did) understood what's coming in the future, thanks!

Doosh that sounds awesome but for the 95% of us not named MegaLordChammyLaxeman we understand this

I do :P

Well explained, thank you for effort mega.

My curiosity is sparked again in regards to loud audio sounds.As we learned from poll while

back great number of people play game on 30% audio settings.What can audio department

do to fix this issue?

Awesome video, I really hope you're right about the remix, I want to be able to finally hear the environment sounds.

Glad I could help. :)

really nice job, makes it easy for non-sound-headed guys like me to understand why its a good improvement. stoked.

so - are these changes in the game right now?

really nice job, makes it easy for non-sound-headed guys like me to understand why its a good improvement. stoked.

so - are these changes in the game right now?

I believe they are in dev branch. I can tell a difference in sound at least on dev branch.

Great vid mega  :) really understandable for dummies like myself :P .  How will the stereo emitter handle phase issues converting a stereo audio image into an mono image and vice versa?  

ps great work audio dev team.  ;)  I love this game even more now.  

Great vid mega  :) really understandable for dummies like myself :P .  How will the stereo emitter handle phase issues converting a stereo audio image into an mono image and vice versa?  

ps great work audio dev team.  ;)  I love this game even more now.  

Thats the sound designer's job. Its not an uncommon thing to make sure your stuff sounds good in mono.

Outstanding job Mega -thanks for breaking it down for us plebs better showcasing what a great job BI audio designers are doing.

@ Audiocustoms: I thought naming you would just be redundant :p