Is anyone else hearing this crackling noise when driving the Slammer ?

https://youtu.be/CvvR_N3tuvM

I don't think it's my audio gear since I have got it with headset and speakers.

Yes, whats happening here is:

The config has multiple sounds for multiple RPM ranges. In a perfect world what would happen is a steady increase of RPM and a smooth transitioning between low rpm, mid rpm and high rpm sounds until the next gear and then then again and again until the final gear is there.

But the tanks in arma3 have some physics problems and what they did to "fix" them is add more gears to the tank, a LOT of them and the first gears have ridiculous transmission values (produce immense amounts of power) and are over within a split second. This results in the sounds being started & stopped multiple times within a split second and the fade ins & outs do not work properly. This creates abrupt sound "endings" which you can hear.

Every click you hear is probably a gear shift. The dev branch of arma3 comes with an exe in which you can show an overlay of current physics data, there you can see how fast the gears are switched. It's crazy and not really related to sound, since the sound system is set up nicely. It's the vehicle-physics programmers' job to get the tanks working without the crazy amount of gears.

Interesting information. Where can I access this exe?

Okay, I've just tested it with the diag exe, and I see what you mean now. The tanks shift through the first 10 gears within less then 2 seconds

Okay, I've just tested it with the diag exe, and I see what you mean now. The tanks shift through the first 10 gears within less then 2 seconds

Talk about hacky workarounds...

OK that's freaking bad. Ground vehicles can't ever sound good because of those gear shifts. It would be interesting to test manual gear shifting but manual shift keys don't work if I rember right? They're in the profile though.

Manual shifting is a feature of physx. Just the controlls for Arma are lacking to be able to use it,  according to (iirc) pettka

Just wanted to leave some praise here for the awesome sound changes in 1.50.

I especially like the new tank gun sounds, and the fact that every size produces a different sound( Dunno if that was the case before the update, but in 1.50 is clearly auditable)

What is the audio crew up to? We haven't heard of anything since the audio OPREP 4 months ago. Busy on the expansion sounds, I suppose?

They are busy with what they wrote in the OPREP.

Vector based multichannel panning needs a lot of work. Other features as well are a lot of work.

Configuration of these features need even more work.

You can only imagine the mathematics and concepts and prototypes and everything needed to develop advanced sound systems.

Check this out, gives a small insight into GTA V sound engine:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020587/The-Sound-of-Grand-Theft

• Like 2

@megagoth1707

I've just watched the youtube videos with the firing IFVs, and the MG sound is really badass. Wish we had such sounds in Arma.

I'm just hoping they get the Sound Engine to the way they want it to sound. From the example on the Tanoa Homepage, it's going to be a long road before they get to that level of Audio fidelity they want. Hoping to also see detailed info on this matter in the Roadmap hopefully. 

Oh, and check this out. we get to have a glimpse of one of the best Sound Engine's.

I'm just hoping they get the Sound Engine to the way they want it to sound. From the example on the Tanoa Homepage, it's going to be a long road before they get to that level of Audio fidelity they want. Hoping to also see detailed info on this matter in the Roadmap hopefully. 

Oh, and check this out. we get to have a glimpse of one of the best Sound Engine's.

C'mon... We can already do this. :P

Only thing missing is the spatial effect for the echo/reverb. It could be done with the "soundTail" feature, but for some reason it's not working for units other than the player.

Only thing missing is the spatial effect for the echo/reverb. It could be done with the "soundTail" feature, but for some reason it's not working for units other than the player.

you have been posting videos of this literally for years now. is this ever going to be released?  i'm literally just curious. also. if so. what is keeping you guys from releasing? is it mostly script side or the sheer amount of samples needed? or is there even a dynamic way now that there are more filters now, at least in the engine. no idea how accessible for modders they are. if it's about samples maybe it would be wise to join forces with all those sound modders. laxemann and others have come up with some pretty amazing stuff lately just from the straight sound material side.

anyways good luck. really looking forward to it. sounds really promising.

• Like 1

By accident i found something that might be interesting for the sound guys - A study to (simulating) noise prediction inside tracked vehicles.

You can view/download it here

The technical details are not important obviously, but the simulation and test results for noise level and frequency (chapter 5 / page 13 onwards) might be interesting for a general understanding or - if nothing else - entertainment :D

Yes, "we", modders can do this with scripts that are not 100% reliable under all possible conditions. An in-engine solution is what was asked there.

• Like 1

Thing is, presumably, it's more complicated than that. IT works with not just guns, but vehicles and everything else, in combination, creating one authentic soundscape. However, it does take a good amount of computing power, which is a problem for Arma, given this sound engine is going to need quite an almost complete overhaul to allow more in depth changes.

you have been posting videos of this literally for years now. is this ever going to be released?  i'm literally just curious. also. if so. what is keeping you guys from releasing? is it mostly script side or the sheer amount of samples needed? or is there even a dynamic way now that there are more filters now, at least in the engine. no idea how accessible for modders they are. if it's about samples maybe it would be wise to join forces with all those sound modders. laxemann and others have come up with some pretty amazing stuff lately just from the straight sound material side.

anyways good luck. really looking forward to it. sounds really promising.

Likely, it's probably due to the fact BI had stated their sound Engine is going through a phase. The changes made with Marksman, were said to be, "temporary", and "tip of the ice berg" if even that. So releasing a sound mod would also end up being both temporary, and catastrophic for the amount of work put it, to simply be lost with the next sound Engine update, that could change almost everything.

• Like 1

With these new samples for explosions every explosion now sounds kinda same. Not to mention that some samples are exactly the same (at least they sound like that) - M6 slammer and apers bounding mine for example. Two completely different types of explosives sounds identical - I hope its a placeholder.

• Like 1

Long post. Some many things are broken or unfinished.

Bugs:

1. Metal plates sounds are played when you change your stance or roll on the ground.

2. Sound of falling bodies is missing (A huge immersion breaker)

3. Healing sound is not interruptible

When unit who performs "healing action" dies, the healing sound is keep playing. (Also a huge immersion breaker)

4. Deployment sound is unbalanced (First person only)

When you deploy a weapons the "deployment sound" is more audible from the left channel.

5. Footsteps sound is missing when use step over animation (pistol/launcher/binocular/unarmed)

Regression compared to A2

Breath sounds can only be heard in first person

A.You can't hear them from other characters.
B.You can't hear them from your character in 3-d person view.
  • Like 1

The breath sound from nearby units is something I miss. As for bodies falling, this was in a changelog two years ago:

Added sounds of bodies falling (based on surfaces)

At the time I assumed it was the normal case of BIS announcing a sound tweak but the sound being missing until the next update, but it never materialised.

I dont remember which explosion sounds where new and which where already old.

But most dont sound good. The AP rounds for the Moira and MBT's sound like somebody banging on a metal pan but not like i would imagine a high velocity impact.

Some Moira HE rounds also sound that way. This sound used to be a GMG firing sound a while back and it was better in that role then this...

Also there is some kind of chirping-like effect in most explosion sounds now, which sounds like a cheap scifi effect.

There is one single explosion sound for the Moira HE that is without this effect and (from what it sounds) without the metal pan part. This sounds way better and should replace all those other sound variations.

Also there is some kind of chirping-like effect in most explosion sounds now, which sounds like a cheap scifi effect.

Agreed, a sci-fi effect is how I'd describe it too. Most of the new explosions make me think of a balloon popping. Not good.

• Like 1