I'm pretty sure they changed the sonic cracks to be a 3D sound instead of something that is played when a bullet flies past you. Not 100% sure though.

Yes, that's what I just said. The sound is played where and when you're at a 90 degree angle to the bullet's path. In other words; when it flies past.

My guess is that it's just a bug/unfinished. Or calculating the delay has a bigger impact on performance than not calculating it, so it's left out.

It wouldn't be so distracting if the crack wasn't almost as loud as the weapon itself:

(both are 100m away!!!)

How far are these cracks heard in real life?

Edited by Greenfist

How far are these cracks heard in real life?

Depends on a lot of things, especially caliber, but I'm certain they are louder and can be heard from further away than most people think. I have had the opportinity to hear some snaps from 5.56 IRL from 25 - 50 meters away, and it was LOUD. The shooter was probably 50 - 75m away and the snap was very easy to distinguish from the gunshot.

Depends on a lot of things, especially caliber, but I'm certain they are louder and can be heard from further away than most people think. I have had the opportinity to hear some snaps from 5.56 IRL from 25 - 50 meters away, and it was LOUD. The shooter was probably 50 - 75m away and the snap was very easy to distinguish from the gunshot.

Yeah I've also heard the snaps from about 50m away and there was sand hill between the shooting lanes and they're not really too quiet. They can be heard pretty far.

That Brisse's video actually sounds pretty close how loud the snaps are. It's just that there isn't enough echoing and stuff in the gunshot itself so the gunshot sounds pretty weak.

It's true. BIS changed the snaps to 3D some time ago, at release of the Marksman DLC. But, i'm not sure if they've done anything with it recently.

Never thought I'd say it, but

It wasn't great or anything, but it's 300% better than the current one. Really hope weapon samples are still being worked on.

Yeah, even with dynamic effects, some of the old sounds are still superior. WIP I guess. I'm currently making a mission with mortars, they used to sound awesome, very powerful. Now not so much.

Never thought I'd say it, but

It wasn't great or anything, but it's 300% better than the current one. Really hope weapon samples are still being worked on.

uuggghhh. Idk. When i first launched Arma, the sound of the MX was good. When time passed, it got worse. What we have now is good, but not good enough. Though, given the information gathered, all audio should be fixed by the time the Expansion comes around. The best sounds currently in the game, is the TRG, and Katiba, in my opinion.

What we have now is good, but not good enough.

It's utterly dreadful in every way. This is solid, scientific fact and not open for debate.

Shouldn't bullets hits be loud? Can't hear my shots landing and not hearing what material the bullet hit, flesh, tree, brick etc...

Also there there is really no echoing from weapons and gunfire should have more pop at distance.

Shouldn't bullets hits be loud? Can't hear my shots landing and not hearing what material the bullet hit, flesh, tree, brick etc...

Also there there is really no echoing from weapons and gunfire should have more pop at distance.

Nah, the loud gunshots should be quieter instead. This way we can hear everything better.

What we have now is good, but not good enough.

Wtf do you expect? They are not going to go back again and improve all the weapons yet again. Give use examples what is not right, how else should the devs know how to improve? The MX sound sounds good and powerfull. It's nothing special, but seriously... not everyone can be a special flower.

There is one exceptions - and that's what i do not understand for the majority of weapons that have this: Why are there multiple samples for each weapon? They often sound so extremely different, that they could be different weapons. It make no sense to me that a weapon sounds different every other shot. With the MX you have a regular "good" shot, and then there is this weird plastic/springy firing sound inbetween. Same with the new autocannon sounds, and many other weapons as well. It makes it sound bad, even if the individual sounds might be fine.

Feedback on new autocannon sound:

If i take the Mora it's alright. But if i take the Marshall and use AP rounds it sound pretty bad imo, muffled and distorted and without smack. Using GP it sounds like on the Mora. The better sound is a bit too metallic for my taste, but it's powerfull and otherwise ok.

Nah, the loud gunshots should be quieter instead. This way we can hear everything better.

I know gunfire is too loud at the moment. But I mean't the sound of bullet hitting something. You should be able to hear bullet hits even from like 200m. Currently we hear them only at close distance and the sound effects are weak :(

The MX sound sounds good and powerfull.

It sounds like someone tapping a biro on a desk. The only times it sounds OK is when there is alot of tail reverb that basically masks how weak the shot is. You're right that one of the variants is way worse than the other, but the other one is not good.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Right now the the samples are the least of the problems. With lack of positional audio and lack of balance the whole audio system seems like a mere placeholder anyway and no fancy samples will change that.

BTW, this issue has just been resolved as 'no bug' http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23612 I know the report is rather poor but com on...

Right now the the samples are the least of the problems. With lack of positional audio and lack of balance the whole audio system seems like a mere placeholder anyway and no fancy samples will change that.

BTW, this issue has just been resolved as 'no bug' http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23612 I know the report is rather poor but com on...

Well I'd say that the sonic cracks are at the realistic volume right now. Gunshots that come from other than your gun, lack of "power, punch and echoing".

Haven't played Arma in a while but here is a little bit of my feedback with the new cannon samples as well as the older coaxial turret samples: The main cannons all sound pretty good. The MK200 coaxial however is.... pretty dang awful. It sounds like the old sonic crack samples were morphed into a gunshot sample. This only affects a few of the vehicles, like the Slammer. Other vehicles like the Gorgon have an MK200 but the sounds for those are different and far superior. Just my thoughts.

Edited by supercereal4

I preferred the old 30mm and 40mm cannon sounds. They had a satisfying bassy punch that the new ones lack. Also, some of them sound more powerful than the new tank cannons, the Gorgon in particular. And yeah I can't remember right now which BLUFOR vehicle it is, but the MG on one of them is very noticably looped.

I think the cannon sounds need more low end or something that makes them sound more powerful. When something powerful is fired you can feel it in your body IRL but in games it's usually coming through some bass.

Could also need an effect that lowers other sounds a bit when fired up close.

But they're better than before I got to say.

Are we also going to get new sounds for both large sniper rifles? I noticed that they still sound very dull. In my opinion there should be more mechanical noise.

Bolt action rifle with mechanical noise :confused_o:.... noooooooooooope

Bolt action rifle with mechanical noise :confused_o:.... noooooooooooope

That's true for the M320 LRR, but not for the GM6 Lynx, which is semi-automatic.

Edited by R3vo

I was on Redbull Air Race few months ago and I realized whats make the flying helicopter sound really cool compared to Arma. The continuously changing blade sound and the blade slapping. As the arma's audio team getting stronger I hope one day they will implement it in the game: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=25135

Fixed: Smoke grenade ending SFX volume unbalanced

Nice. It always jump scared me a little.

• Like 1

The new mg sounds on some tanks are bad, feels like sonic cracks the old one was way better.

Is anyone else hearing this crackling noise when driving the Slammer ?

https://youtu.be/CvvR_N3tuvM

I don't think it's my audio gear since I have got it with headset and speakers.